“Amazing resort: Fabulous vacation”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Walnut Creek, California
“Amazing resort: Fabulous vacation”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently went to Sugar Beach in July. We were a little afraid to go during the "rainy" season but soon learned it didn't really rain much more during the rainy season than the "dry" season.. Needless to say the weather was great- a few morning sprinkles and then sunny most of the day. When we arrived at the resort, they led us into the reception area and gave us a "welcome" punch that was the most tasty drink we'd had in years. The staff is so willing to please, they invited us back to the reception area for a free drink whenever we wanted during our stay. We gladly accepted. We had intended to visit lots of attractions around St. Lucia but were so impressed with the property and its facilities; the beach, snorkeling on the reef RIGHT on the beach and other water sports that we never left the property during the day at all. The rooms are beautiful and immaculate. How did they manage to keep it bug free in the middle of the rain forest? Our villa was high up on the hillside and it was extremely private so we could really enjoy sunbathing on our deck and cooling off in our large, private plunge pool. The staff and especially our butler was so attentive and friendly. We never had to wait for more than 2-5 minutes for a ride down the hill to the restaurants or beach. The property is situated right between the 2 pitons so the view from your beach chair is amazing!!!. We had debated whether to divide up our time on the island between Sugar Beach and Ladera. We're SO glad we chose Sugar Beach. We're definitely going back!!

Room Tip: Lower hillside rooms may have less obstructed views but upper hillside rooms are more private.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2014
Good day,
Thank you for posting your glowing review about your July vacation at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Our location is spectacular and it is clear you made the most of the facilities available right here at the resort including the National Marine Reserve just steps off the beach and the wide range of watersports available.

It is always good to read that our team members provided those added touches to make your stay extra special.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Andre Boersma

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (445)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dublin, Ohio
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just completed a week stay in a Villa (304, to be exact), and have nothing but the highest compliments to pay to this resort and the staff. I read a lot of reviews prior to our arrival, so I was on the lookout for some of the touch points from other folks, but we just didn't have anything bad to say.

The trip from Vieux Fort (via private car) was interesting, if a bit quease-inducing. The driver delivered us directly to our room. In fact, it was about day three before we even knew where the front desk was. Our butlers had already made us a dinner reservation for the first night at the more casual Bayside restaurant and had arranged for the shuttle. Having to not make any decisions after a long day of travel was a huge relief.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the shuttle service, but we had no issues. I don't think we waited more than about 3-5 minutes at any point during the week. I've also seen complaints about the butlers, but we didn't really ask for anything overly special or out of line, and they delivered everything we asked for. That's what I would have expected. The rooms were always clean, no reservations were lost or wrong, and they were always friendly and helpful when I'd see them.

A special shout-out to Nathalie and the other folks working the beach. My wife has a severe allergy to cigarette smoke, and we basically got chased away one day by overly aggressive Europeans chainsmoking up and down the length of the beach. The staff immediately jumped in and moved us to one of the cabanas up above the pool. They were extremely attentive the rest of the week, going so far as to help us reserve a set of chairs at the far, up-wind end of the beach so that she wouldn't be disabled by the smoke. (Please understand, this isn't a "ooh, I don't care for the smell of smoke" thing, this is a "I'm going to hit my inhaler four times and pray to god I can still breathe" thing.) I cannot thank the staff enough for the lengths they went to in order to make sure she was feeling okay and that we had a good time.

Yes, the beach is rocky in places, but if you'll look just off to your right, you can see that half of a giant mountain fell over and is slowly being pummelled into sandy particles over the course of millions of years. So beach shoes wouldn't hurt.

We went all-inclusive, and are happy that we did. The a la carte prices for the food and drinks are high, but when you're on a tiny island nation, and a long way from any major shipping ports at that, they're going to be high. We tipped our servers on top of that, but I'm not sure if that led to us having better service or not. Going into the week, we knew that most dinners were going to be two-hour affairs, and that's pretty much what we ended up with. It was leisurely. But we had no place else we needed to be, so we weren't in a rush. Our drinks were kept full, and food arrived warm and well prepared. I've got no complaints.

We did venture off property for a dinner at Ladera, and were greatly impressed by the setting, the food, and the service.

The trip back to the airport was without incident. The car picked us up directly at the room, becuase we were leaving prior to the noon check-out time. The UVF airport is tiny, and departure day (with planes to London, Miami, Atlanta, and Charlotte all boarding within an hour of each other) was a zoo.

We have done AIs all over Mexico and the Caribbean, and Sugar Beach is the first one where we knew within a few days that we would definitely be back at some point down the road.

Room Tip: We were in the 300s, and they were below the bugs but still high enough to get a nice evening breeze...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Justin L
Good day,
Your feedback and comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort are deeply appreciated.

I am delighted that you had a flawless and relaxing stay and that the special courtesies extended to you contributed to a positive experience.

Thank you especially for your comments about Nathalie from our beach team. This is just the kind of intuitive service we encourage from our team members and I will be sure to praise her and the rest of the beach team for a job well done.

Once again, thank you for posting this very useful review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 11 August 2014

We have been visiting some friends in St. Lucia and had the privilege of staying 2 days at Sugar Beach... A small paradise.
The staff is great, smiling, ready to offer any help you need, and yet very discreet too.
The food is spectacular, mixing French and Island cultures and fresh products.
The cabanon are made for lovers!!
The scuba and snuda team are great.

1 Thank JLD86
Good day,

Thank you for sharing your glowing comments about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
It is always a pleasure to read reviews such as yours.

We hope you will consider a return visit soon, perhaps for a longer stay next time.

Reviewed 10 August 2014 via mobile

We came down the hill from our accommodation at Ladera Resort (a separate establishment), to spend some time at the beach and to have lunch. Like a previous reviewer, we were made to feel like second class citizens by the Sugar Beach staff, who tried to confine us to one small part of the beach by claiming that the rest was private (it isn't: by law, all beaches in St Lucia are public). Still, the staff refused to let us sit on the Sugar Beach sunbeds, though at least this saved us from paying the preposterous US$50-per-sunbeds cover charge. Most of the sunbeds lay empty while a dozen or so guests slummed it on towels on the sand.

Never mind, we thought, let's have lunch! This was a hopelessly bland affair, served with all the panache of a damp rag. A watery bowl of orzo cost an eye-watering US$39, plus obligatory service charge, and a bottle of water was US$10. A glass of wine appeared nowhere except on the bill. How these people can get away with this substandard quality at these hair-raising prices is beyond us.

The setting, by the way - squeezed between the two Pitons and on an attractive (if artificial) white sand beach - is lovely. But the dodgy service, supercilious attitude, and offensive prices leave a bitter taste in the mouth that more than outweighs the good bits. Avoid.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
13 Thank Christos S
Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

For the price paid, I expected more especially in terms of service.
The hotel is very well located with an amazing nature around. The facilities are of very high level. Nothing to complain about pool, beach or housing which was perfect. The Spa is great (special thanks to Maria for her attention and support in organizing activities outside the resort), gourmet restaurant with high service and great food, excellent sushi bar too... And then what is extremely disappointing:
- very poor butler concept. Yes, it has the name, but that's all. No comparison possible with what is offered for example in resorts from Mauritius island. Several "buttlers" during the week with very poor service minding: wrong bookings for the restaurant, mistake in room service, no technical support for supplied Ipad for 2 days, slow service, minibar not filled daily... No support for unpacking, very rude attitude. A real shame!!! Only good at ordering tuk tuk and not even always... How can it be so wrong?
- breakfast has to be upgraded. The fresh fruit juices were mixed with water = no taste. Was expecting the best juices over there, a pity... Pan cakes too thick. Great omelettes though.
- getting a lunch served is a challenge when it comes to acceptable waiting time before getting anything and the food is rather poor.
This hotel has the best location you can dream of really, with top amenities... But the poor buttler concept destroys the magic of the place....a real shame!

Stayed April 2014
Good day,
Many thanks for taking the time to post your comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort. It is only through such comments that we are able to continually review our service standards and product.

Your feedback about our butler service is of particular concern and extremely rare. On the whole, our butlers receive rave reviews for their attention to detail, care and concern for the guests in their charge. This clearly was not what you experienced during your stay.

Your review has been shared with our head butler and serious refresher training is being implemented to ensure our guests receive top notch service, particularly from their butlers.

Thank you also for your comments about service in the restaurants and the quality of food in the restaurants. Again, we will be addressing these issues and taking action to implement tangible improvements.

Please know that your comments and your business are very important to us. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again so that you might enjoy Sugar Beach service at its best.
Regards

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

We got married at Sugar Beach recently and spent a total of 7 nights there.

The environment is heavenly, and the amenities are second to none. The service is mostly very good to excellent, and often above and beyond.

So why not 5 stars? We had a few issues which on their own seem like very pedantic things to take note of however at a resort like this - a truly luxury world class resort - when you get not just one but several recurring problems then it puts a slight dampener on an otherwise amazing experience. Also I need to mention that I did meet with a manager during our stay, a fantastic, attentive lady called Molly who did her absolute best to resolve the issues and compensate us. I'll get the bad stuff out of the way first!

The butler service at times was patchy and the communication between different departments broken. Pre-booked shuttles just didn't arrive meaning additional phone calls.

I requested (and then double confirmed on the day) that me and my wife could both have an air conditioned shuttles from our respective locations to the location of our wedding ceremony on our wedding day. The resort has a mix of 'proper' minibuses which have air con, and a couple of types of 4x4 buggy/jeeps so I didn't really think it was an exceptional request, and the promise was made. What turned up to take me to the ceremony? A 4x4 open sided buggy... Not nice to travel in a full suit!

As mentioned already in several other reviews the service at the restaurants is painfully slow a lot of the time. One breakfast time it took well over 1 hour in total from arriving to leaving, and that was just for the cold buffet! Coffee/tea taking 15-20 minutes to arrive after ordering, same with water. I can understand food taking a little long sometimes but it does get frustrating when you order your first drink of the evening and it takes that length of time to arrive. If you want a two course dinner then expect to be in the restaurant for the best part of two hours.

Saying that, there were certain star members of staff who were ever so kind, attentive and generally brilliant. Mishka on the beach bar, Linus in the bayside restaurant, I'm sure there's others whose names escape me, sorry!

Other smaller issues were that we had no water pressure after returning from the sulphur mud baths and desperately needing a shower, this took over 1 hour to resolve and the cause was maintenance filling the pool but forgetting about it and going to service other villa pools. We had power cuts to the bathroom lights on 2 occasions, both times blown bulbs which was peculiar and if it was my house id be investigating that a bit further - however I got the feeling it won't be. Once I requested the ice to be refilled in the room and it wasn't, hence another phone call. Lunch brought to the villa and a bill of $59.5 presented, even though we were on the AI so the charge was only $18 delivery: when I questioned it I was repeatedly told to 'just sign' - which I certainly did not - the server then became rude and left.

Again I must stress that each issue on it's own amounts to a small slip in otherwise excellent standards and I also must stress that Molly did go quite far to compensate us and raise our issues with the appropriate people. However we believe that these collective issues should simply not have arisen in the first place and a discount on the bill and an apology only goes some way to compensate for the stress and hassle caused to us on our honeymoon.

So for the good stuff - food. Wow! The food was amazing. We've eaten in many restaurants in many locations and the food at Sugar Beach is divine. We were fortunate to be able to go for the All Inclusive (AI) and it was just that! There isn't much at all excluded, and if there's a special dish which is then it's only a 15$ supplement. The cocktails on the beach are amazing and I'm not a cocktail person.

The beach is fantastic, we visited in late July and it was quiet, never struggled to find a lounger and never struggled to get served anywhere on the resort. We always had good choice of where to sit in the beach bar even on a sunny afternoon.

The whole resort is treated VERY well against mosquitoes and bugs. A large spray insecticide is provided in the villa just in case but we only needed it twice.

Accommodation - The villa mini bar was stocked well and on at least two occasions free Piton beers were delivered by the butler. The bed was AMAZING and we had a good nights sleep every night - something important when you're away on holiday! The villa was absolutely spotless, perfectly clean, serviced well each day. By the way we stayed in grand luxury villa 505 which had just an amazing view from the veranda which was HUGE, the plunge pool had two edges which looked straight over the view with no distance from the drop or obstructions like barriers in the way. The villa itself was huge, we had a toilet each, more than one shower each, plenty of space!!

The resort really is out of this world. We missed it so badly after leaving to stay in the north of the island that we very nearly went back for a day before returning home - time permitting, we would have done.

With the issues we had I reluctantly gave the review 4 stars but with those fixed, I'd give it six stars if I could. We will definitely be back.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Chris11111111
Good day,
Thank you for providing your valuable feedback about your recent destination wedding and honeymoon at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

It is good to know that on balance you had a wonderful stay and that your wedding day was all you hoped it would be.

However, I would like to take the opportunity to apologise for the lapses in service that you have described. As you quite rightly point out, although there were no major issues when looked at individually, the catalogue of little disappointments added up to create a less than perfect stay and for that I am truly sorry.

We pride ourselves on paying close attention to the finer details and we seem to have dropped the ball where you are concerned.

I am happy that Molly was able to help iron out some of your concerns and that you were adequately compensated for the slips in service.

Your review has been discussed at length with the relevant department heads and measures have been taken to ensure these issues do not crop up again.

I am pleased that the issues you encountered have not left an indelible mark and that you are already considering a return visit.

We hope to see you again soon.

Best Regards

Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This place was amazing. Only a 45 minute drive over from the airport (I think Rodney Bay is up to 2 hours). The location is absolutely the best on the island nestled right between the two pitons, right in the middle of the lush rainforest. The entire place smells like a botanical garden and the landscaping is impeccable. Because of its ideal location between the Pitons, the beach is tucked back in a cove and the water is completely still -- making it incredibly easy to swim and float around in without having to fight the waves. I also think this is one of the only true white sandy beaches on the island. Given the island is volcanic in nature, most beaches on the island are more rocky or black sand. During the recent renovation, the sand was imported from Ghana so it feels like the same beach you would get in Turks.

The resort is built directly up the hill with eight groups of private rooms. Because of this, (as many have mentioned), they shuttle you from the room to the beach and to breakfast, dinner, etc... But they make this extremely easy. They give all guests a mobile firefly that has direct access to their own "butler" who will arrange the shuttle and dinner reservations (and really anything you want -- and you can get creative) at all hours of the day. We never waited more than 3 minutes on a shuttle. Granted we were there in late July (slower season) but the fact we had to shuttle around did not take away from the vacation. The service was overall amazing.

Finally -- the rooms. Built up the mountain, each villa has its own private balcony with plunge pool. We stayed in 502 and had an amazing view of the water and the pitons from our balcony. The rooms are large (with huge bathrooms and double walk in shower) and decked out with local island artwork and the comfort of the beds rivaled that of the Westin. It was a bit of a splurge to stay here but I would do it again in a second.

2 Thank dallashorn02
Good day,

Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to write this informative review about your stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our stunning location and that your accommodation was all you hoped it would be.

We are also delighted that you are considering a return visit at some point in the future.
Once again, thank you for your comments and feedback.

Best Regards,
Andre Boersma
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
The Landings St. Lucia
The Landings St. Lucia
#2 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!