“Amazing location and gorgeous resort”

Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Ranked #4 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 17 August 2014

St Lucia has several amazing resorts and Sugar Beach is one of the very best. Nestled in between the twin Piton mountains, the resort has amazing views and top tier services.

Our family decided to take the vacation of a lifetime and rented one of the luxury villas for a week. With an infinity pool overlooking the ocean, a butler and plenty of room for each of my two boys, it was a near-perfect week. We rented island buggies and toured the island. We went on an ATV tour through a nearby fruit plantation. We went zip-lining, enjoyed spa massages and visited volcanic mud baths. But our favorite adventures were learning to SCUBA dive with the resort's PADI-certified instructors and renting the incredible Manatee sailboat for a day of sailing and snorkeling up the coast.

We loved the staff, especially our butler Tyson, the concierge Theresa, the sailboat and dive team of Vitus and Andy. Overall, the food was excellent but there were a few less-than-stellar meals when we ordered room service. The hotel itself was incredible. The beaches, the restaurants, and particularly the spa were beautiful and well maintained.

My only advice for future guests (and these are minor) would be around transportation. The hotel will help coordinate attractions but the price of transportation wasn't included in most of the quotes. The hotel will also arrange airport transportation but be careful because the least expensive option, the taxis, are actually the best - the SUV got very cramped with our luggage and four people.

All in all, Sugar Beach is one of the finest resorts in the Caribbean and one of my favorite vacations over the last several years.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank bntraveler
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2014

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to write this very useful review about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and that the courtesies and services you experienced positively contributed to a relaxing vacation.
Please know that your comments and your business have been greatly appreciated.
On behalf of the entire team, we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 17 August 2014

Not a 5 star. Unfortunately we was a little disappointed. We came down from the Rendevouz (which is what you call a 5 star hotel).
Let me get the good bits out the way.
Beautiful scenery - the best
Lovely beach
Food is great
Wifi everywhere
Hotel rooms are nice

Bad bits
On Arrival they give you telephones to ring the butler if you need anything. It's a gimmick, you can reserve dinner meals by calling reception - is pretty handy but don't let it fool you
Overpriced - if you are not all inclusive be prepared to spend all your wages and more, it's more expensive then London prices and anywhere I've been in the world (and I've been to a lot of countries).
The service I'm afraid is shambolic, by the time you wait for you your dinner, lunch or breakfast your not hungry in the end. The staff need more training that's all it is. They are not responsive enough, they don't smile and to be honest they look like they don't want to work there anymore
It's hard to walk everywhere, you are on hills and out of breath or sweating by the time you get to where you want.
Not enough sun beds by the pool - we were getting down early too but couldn't get one.
The most frustrating thing we found was that we wanted privacy - especially being on our honeymoon - well, the cleaner would come round at all different times to ask if we wanted the bed down (basically take the mosquito betting down in which you can do in 35 seconds). The maids knocked on the door at times like 9.30pm, 7.30pm, 8pm, when we were either chilling or getting ready to go out . We said no on all occasions but i believe they do it because they want a tip. It spoils the privacy.

Not a 5 star but nice place, wouldn't go again due to the staff not friendly enough and the prices. Entertainment lacked a little.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Ava R

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your honeymoon stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am sorry to hear about the experiences that you have described, especially in relation to service in our restaurants. We are continually looking for ways to improve in this area and to ensure the best possible service is rendered to our guests at all times. Again, I am sorry that you did not receive our usual high level of service. .
You may wish to be aware that we automatically offer a turndown service to all our guests every evening. This is standard procedure. I am sorry that the room attendant came across as a nuisance. If we had been aware that you did not want this service, we would not have sent an attendant to your villa.
We trust that apart from the concerns highlighted, you enjoyed the time spent at Sugar Beach.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope you will consider a return visit.

Reviewed 16 August 2014

We got married here in November 2013 and it was absolutely fabulous. From the moment we booked any questions we had or anything we wanted was answered and accommodated! We were treated so well with everyone knowing our names, chatting to us and being genuinely interested in us. Winne, our butler was so amazing and thoughtful he had our room decorated with romantic music playing when we returned to our room on our wedding day. The food, cocktails are amazing and the coffee alone is worth going for!
The generosity did not end there, I have been contacting Lisa jones there currently to organise a surprise first year anniversary gift and she has gone above and beyond any duty to help me!
It's so unfortunate that St. Lucia is so far away otherwise we would be paying rent in Sugar Beach!!

Room Tip: 705 great view
Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Gilianm2014

Good day,
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your wedding experience at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am happy to hear that your day was everything that you dreamed it would be and that the staff mentioned provided, and continue to provide, exceptional service. They will be commended for a job well done.
Once again, thank you for your comments and business. We hope to see you again for an anniversary stay.

Reviewed 15 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Sugar Beach for two wonderful weeks (29 July - 13 August) for our honeymoon.

After a hectic few weeks before the wedding, escaping to somewhere like Sugar Beach was bliss. It's probably one of the most beautiful places on earth to stay and the friendliness and helpfulness of all the staff at Sugar Beach made it extra special.

We stayed in Sugar Mill Room 4. This is meant to be one of the 'standard' rooms but it was luxurious with a four poster bed, claw foot bath, huge bathroom, private gardens front and back and a plunge pool. We felt very spoilt!

The resort itself is stunning - the pitons and the beach provide a wonderful back drop but the thing we liked the most was how well the buildings and gardens had been integrated into the natural rainforest landscape. It felt as though the resort had grown rather than been built. It was also lovely having hummingbirds outside our door and the tree frogs 'singing' at night. It was lovely to find a resort that embraced the natural world rather than building over it. The fact that one day we also saw turtle hatchlings making their way to the sea and the delight the staff took in this reinforced our view that this is a resort that genuinely cares about wildlife and the natural environment.

The other thing that stood out during our stay was how lovely the staff are and what excellent customer service they provide. Special mention to Peter and Nysan our butlers. They were always on hand to help out with meal and excursion booking and were unfailing cheerful, kind and patient - thank you, you made our honeymoon very special. Also thanks to Leanika at the Bayside, Sherman who seemed to be everywhere, and Kesha the hostess at both Bayside and the Great Room (apologies if I've spelt any names wrong!). It was great to meet you all and thank you for making us feel so welcome. There are so many more staff to thank - at the Spa (recommend the Carribbean Glow treatment - my skin felt amazing!) at every bar and restaurant on site (the meals we had were on time with no hint of slow service) and the housekeeping staff who did a wonderful job at making our room pristine every day. THANK YOU!

The food in the restaurants on site was delicious. I am vegetarian and they had specific vegetarian menus and offered to cook up other dishes as well. My husband said the fish dishes were wonderful. And breakfast was a feast! Huge variety and choice every morning.

Tempting though it is to stay every day on the resort, we also wanted to see St Lucia and went to Soufriere by taxi for a meal at Le Petit Peak (delicious fish) and went by water taxi to Castries and finally hired a car to go to Marigot Bay, Castries and Piegon Island. Thoroughly recommend getting to know the island as well as the resort. We found taxis to be very expensive and it was too far to walk to Soufriere so we hired a car for three days using Drive A Matic who were excellent. The roads are fine if driven with care. We would advise not leaving any valuables in your car if parking anywhere and ideally park within sight of staff at a public building. The only downside to our holiday was the number of stray dogs in St Lucia, some of whom are quite clearly unwell. We contacted the St Lucia Animal Protection Society while we were there about one dog we felt concerned about. They were very kind and volunteered to look for him and help him. They clearly also need more support: http://stluciaanimals.org/ so if you go on holiday to St Lucia and love animals I'd recommend donating.

We also took advantage of the excursions on offer and did the photo safari with the wonderful Kirk and Denise (highly recommend this!) the dolphin and whale watching, the sunset cruise, the Gros Piton climb, and the Soufriere tour which took in the Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens and the drive in volcano.

One other tip would be to get up early for a swim. We had jet lag when we first arrived so were waking up at 5am. We went to the pool for 6am on quite a few mornings and enjoyed a swim when the resort was super quiet and you could just float on your back, gazing up at the pitons and watching the magnificent frigate birds wheeling overhead as the sun rose over the hills.

Amazing times and an unforgettable honeymoon! Thank you Sugar Beach.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kate R

Good Day,
Thank you for your valuable feedback about your time at the Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.
I am happy all your expectations were exceeded and you had a wonderful stay. I am pleased you enjoyed all our amenities and accommodations as well as the relaxing and comfortable atmosphere.
I will communicate your feedback to the entire team and commend them for a job well done, especially the individuals mentioned.
Thank you for your act of kindness and ensuring that the dog you saw was examined and taken care of by the St Lucia Animal Protection Society (SLAPS). The organization regularly runs spay and neutering programmes on the island and do a wonderful job. Your support and appeal for further assistance for them are deeply appreciated.
Once again, thank you for your valuable feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back to Sugar Beach in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We have just had 8 nights at Sugar Beach, and I can see there are flaws, but our stay was fantastic.

Sherman, who really should be noticed by senior management, is a wonderful, refreshing opening gush of enthusiasm and professionalism. His attitude to service is outstanding.

Our room was lovely, room 309, with breath taking views over the resort and the ocean. Our two kids slept on sofa beds which they found comfortable and the maid put them away every day so that we never felt short of space. We found our 'butlers' to be really helpful; seriously, why would anyone expect anyone to do their unpacking for them?! So as long as you expect them to help you sort out reasonable requests they'll be all over it!

My family had no problem with the shuttle service in and around the resort, but I found it to be a complete pain in the butt. I understand that this is complete personal preference, but not being able to 'nip' back to my room was slightly frustrating to me. Other reviewers are spot on, you rarely have to wait long, but I felt like I was on a school bus some days. Not my vibe at all, but I also have to concede how else could they manage it? It is very hilly. Also, without the shuttle service we'd never have met Michael: possibly the happiest man on the planet. I hope you meet him too. He deserves his own show. What a credit to the resort he is!

The restaurant service is painfully slow, but other people are right, we should learn to slow down. I just can't. Food was fine, not amazing. What I did find impressive was their ability and willingness to bastardise the menu to meet your needs. Also, massive traveller tip coming up: go to the sushi bar. It is incredible. It's innovative, fresh and we couldn't get enough of it. The vibe is relaxed, with great music. Special mention should go to Tavarie in the beach bar. I'd put Michael, Sherman and Tavarie in my dream hotel; exceptional attitude to service.

The sports center is fabulous. Both my kids did their scuba certification with Eddison. What a star! He took the time to get to know the kids and understand how they tick. He was flexible and fun. All the team were great; a happy vibe.

This is a great hotel, if you are coming to St. Lucia, this is the best resort by far in the area.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank JJ1612
ABoersma, General Manager at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 15 August 2014

Good day,
On behalf of the entire team, thank you for taking the time and making the effort to post your feedback about your recent family holiday at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

I am particularly pleased to hear that so many of our team members contributed in such a positive way to your stay.

Sherman is certainly one of our stars and rest assured, his exemplary attitude and spirit have not gone unnoticed and we see he has a very bright future ahead in hospitality.

Equally, Eddison, Michael and Tavarie are exceptional members of the Sugar Beach team and worthy of the rave reviews they receive from our guests.

They will all be thrilled with your comments.

On a less positive note, I am sorry that you found our shuttle service cumbersome and the trek back to your villa a bit of a slog. As you quite rightly point out, we really have very little choice bearing in mind the hilly terrain and the size of the property. I am, however, pleased that you never had to wait too long before a shuttle appeared.

Your comments about the Cane Bar menu will be shared with Chef Ramirez who I am sure will be delighted to know how much you enjoyed his sushi.

Once again, your comments and business have been greatly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you and your family again soon.

Reviewed 13 August 2014

We recently went to Sugar Beach in July. We were a little afraid to go during the "rainy" season but soon learned it didn't really rain much more during the rainy season than the "dry" season.. Needless to say the weather was great- a few morning sprinkles and then sunny most of the day. When we arrived at the resort, they led us into the reception area and gave us a "welcome" punch that was the most tasty drink we'd had in years. The staff is so willing to please, they invited us back to the reception area for a free drink whenever we wanted during our stay. We gladly accepted. We had intended to visit lots of attractions around St. Lucia but were so impressed with the property and its facilities; the beach, snorkeling on the reef RIGHT on the beach and other water sports that we never left the property during the day at all. The rooms are beautiful and immaculate. How did they manage to keep it bug free in the middle of the rain forest? Our villa was high up on the hillside and it was extremely private so we could really enjoy sunbathing on our deck and cooling off in our large, private plunge pool. The staff and especially our butler was so attentive and friendly. We never had to wait for more than 2-5 minutes for a ride down the hill to the restaurants or beach. The property is situated right between the 2 pitons so the view from your beach chair is amazing!!!. We had debated whether to divide up our time on the island between Sugar Beach and Ladera. We're SO glad we chose Sugar Beach. We're definitely going back!!

Room Tip: Lower hillside rooms may have less obstructed views but upper hillside rooms are more private.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Good day,
Thank you for posting your glowing review about your July vacation at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort.

Our location is spectacular and it is clear you made the most of the facilities available right here at the resort including the National Marine Reserve just steps off the beach and the wide range of watersports available.

It is always good to read that our team members provided those added touches to make your stay extra special.

Once again, thank you for your feedback. We hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 12 August 2014

We just completed a week stay in a Villa (304, to be exact), and have nothing but the highest compliments to pay to this resort and the staff. I read a lot of reviews prior to our arrival, so I was on the lookout for some of the touch points from other folks, but we just didn't have anything bad to say.

The trip from Vieux Fort (via private car) was interesting, if a bit quease-inducing. The driver delivered us directly to our room. In fact, it was about day three before we even knew where the front desk was. Our butlers had already made us a dinner reservation for the first night at the more casual Bayside restaurant and had arranged for the shuttle. Having to not make any decisions after a long day of travel was a huge relief.

I've seen a lot of complaints about the shuttle service, but we had no issues. I don't think we waited more than about 3-5 minutes at any point during the week. I've also seen complaints about the butlers, but we didn't really ask for anything overly special or out of line, and they delivered everything we asked for. That's what I would have expected. The rooms were always clean, no reservations were lost or wrong, and they were always friendly and helpful when I'd see them.

A special shout-out to Nathalie and the other folks working the beach. My wife has a severe allergy to cigarette smoke, and we basically got chased away one day by overly aggressive Europeans chainsmoking up and down the length of the beach. The staff immediately jumped in and moved us to one of the cabanas up above the pool. They were extremely attentive the rest of the week, going so far as to help us reserve a set of chairs at the far, up-wind end of the beach so that she wouldn't be disabled by the smoke. (Please understand, this isn't a "ooh, I don't care for the smell of smoke" thing, this is a "I'm going to hit my inhaler four times and pray to god I can still breathe" thing.) I cannot thank the staff enough for the lengths they went to in order to make sure she was feeling okay and that we had a good time.

Yes, the beach is rocky in places, but if you'll look just off to your right, you can see that half of a giant mountain fell over and is slowly being pummelled into sandy particles over the course of millions of years. So beach shoes wouldn't hurt.

We went all-inclusive, and are happy that we did. The a la carte prices for the food and drinks are high, but when you're on a tiny island nation, and a long way from any major shipping ports at that, they're going to be high. We tipped our servers on top of that, but I'm not sure if that led to us having better service or not. Going into the week, we knew that most dinners were going to be two-hour affairs, and that's pretty much what we ended up with. It was leisurely. But we had no place else we needed to be, so we weren't in a rush. Our drinks were kept full, and food arrived warm and well prepared. I've got no complaints.

We did venture off property for a dinner at Ladera, and were greatly impressed by the setting, the food, and the service.

The trip back to the airport was without incident. The car picked us up directly at the room, becuase we were leaving prior to the noon check-out time. The UVF airport is tiny, and departure day (with planes to London, Miami, Atlanta, and Charlotte all boarding within an hour of each other) was a zoo.

We have done AIs all over Mexico and the Caribbean, and Sugar Beach is the first one where we knew within a few days that we would definitely be back at some point down the road.

Room Tip: We were in the 300s, and they were below the bugs but still high enough to get a nice evening breeze...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Justin L

Good day,
Your feedback and comments about your recent stay at Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort are deeply appreciated.

I am delighted that you had a flawless and relaxing stay and that the special courtesies extended to you contributed to a positive experience.

Thank you especially for your comments about Nathalie from our beach team. This is just the kind of intuitive service we encourage from our team members and I will be sure to praise her and the rest of the beach team for a job well done.

Once again, thank you for posting this very useful review. We look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.

Andre Boersma

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort

Been to Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort? Share your experiences!