“Ladera: Peak to Beach package between Ladera and Cap Maison is a must!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Chicago, Illinois
“Ladera: Peak to Beach package between Ladera and Cap Maison is a must!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

My husband and I chose to spend our Honeymoon at Ladera and Cap Maison in the Peak to Beach package (see my review for Cap Maison their page). I would absolutely recommend this package to travelers looking for a unique experience in St. Lucia that isn't a Sandals.

We arrived mid afternoon and took a taxi with another couple to Ladera. Its about 45 minutes from the airport and the roads are pretty winding, but you do get great views of the ocean and small towns. The taxi wasn't the greatest as we were driven in a private car (BMW) back to the airport from Cap Maison.

Once we arrived we checked in and met with Holly. We were taken to our room, which was lovely. Now, for those readers looking for a high end stay, while Ladera does offer this in a way, please note that you are missing a wall, which means you will have bugs and outdoor noises. I found it really funny reading some reviews before our stay about what a terrible time people had because of the noise, heat, bugs etc. The bugs were never bad and although I did sleep with ear plugs which Ladera provides, my husband didnt have a problem. If you are looking for four walls and ac, I would stay at Cap Maison the entire time. Ladera was the perfect way to begin our honeymoon.

My husband and I go camping every year and while its not my favorite trip, I do enjoy the outdoors. I would consider this luxury camping, I loved sleeping under the netting and all the furniture was very comfortable. We didn't use our plunge pool much because it was never too hot and the pool was cold. But just sitting in the chairs next to the pool with the fountain running and looking at the Pitons was amazing. I could have spend all day there.

We found the food at Ladera to be AMAZING. Between Cap Maison and Ladera, the food was excellent, but we thought Ladera was a little more authentic to the Island, which we liked. However, I thought the cocktails at Cap Maison were better than Ladera!

We ended up taking the shuttle to Jalousie Beach one day at the base of the Pitons. Its a great snorkling spot! However, you have a little climb to up a steep hill to and from the shuttle, so be careful if you not active. The weather at Ladera was rainy on an off. I do think this was because your in the rain forest. So we spend most of our time in our room or under an umbrella, which is why we were so delighted to head to Cap Maison for SUN SUN SUN! Ladera is the perfect resort to relax and enjoy the amazing rain forest and Piton views. The views and food made our stay completely worth it!

My only complaint was that our room was right above a little seating area which many workers tended to congregate. It got a little noisy at times but nothing that was unbearable. We ordered room service one morning (which you put your card out at night) and didnt receive our meal. Our neighbors had put theirs out and did get breakfast. We were baffled by this and decided to get breakfast in the dinning room the next day, only to come in while they were tearing everything down before they were supposed to. However they did provide us with breakfast. The chocolate croissants are fantastic!

Your stay at Ladera will not disappoint. The staff is very good, the food is amazing, the rooms are cozy and fun, plus the views are fantastic!

2 Thank ejm226K

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2011

Our first time to the Caribbean and we are in love with the Ladera resort! The other reviews are not exaggerating when they say that the view is unreal. Some cons: you don't have your own beach, if you want to go to a beach it is a car ride (they have scheduled shuttle rides). You are also only allowed to sit in a certain area of the beach, but it is stil very very nice. You are basically only five feet from the patrons of the beach hotel, so it's not a problem. The pros: EVERYTHING ELSE. the rooms are unbelievable. The view, your own private pool, the food is world class. The service is amazing. The owner Holly and the manager will know you by name from the minute you arrive. Chef Orlando is superbly talented at using the local ingredients to make a meal that you will remember. The buffet on Tuesday nights is amazing!
The way to go is all inclusive since meals are pricey and will add up fast. Dinner at dasheens will be about 100$ per person for 3 courses and glass of wine, lunch is about $50 per person. Definitely try the dasheen shrimp, and lamb curry. Bugs weren't too bad and you have a canopy bed so it's ok. Car ride to hotel was not bad at all and you learn a lot about the local area. It's about 30 min and windy but very doable.

• Stayed March 2011
2 Thank Lmahmood
Naples, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2011

We had such a wonderful stay at Ladera. This hotel is very unique with it's three-walled configuration. Certainly more suited for the more adventurous traveller as your clothes do start to feel a little damp. All part of the experience however. We did not opt for the meal plan which was a huge mistake. We typically like to get out and explore a bit when traveling and so we try not to get locked into any meal plan at the hotel. However, we found the food at Ladera to be outstanding and far beyond the level of dining anywhere else that we tried and the drinks were expensive, so we would have been better off calling Ladera our final destination rather than constantly trying to leave the hotel. We did go to Anse Chastanet for a dive one day. The restaurant we ate at there was situated directly on the black sand beach which was fantastic, but the food was just okay. The property was far larger than Ladera, had tennis courts and a dive center. This is someplace I absolutely will go back to, but think 3-4 nights is plenty. This is a great spot for couples looking to have some quality one on one time or would be super fun with a group of couples looking to get away together. One last thing, my husband and I are very active and we signed up to hike the small Piton. This is a very rigorous hike. Not for the average hiker. I could not sit down for the remainder of the trip:) Good thing they made a mean run punch to help ease the pain...

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Murray Hill, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 March 2011

We celebrated my wife's birthday. Stayed in Suite S. Terrific views and best staff on the island. Must like Nature -Open room layout and the chirping frogs at night and birds in the morning :> Rooms are tropical with a carved wood and netting over the bed. Romantic but not the Four Seasons. Which we liked. The grounds are well maintained. People are really accommodating and made the stay a treat. Mix of music every night !

Restaurant was good but had better dinner and lunch at the Jalousie Plantation down at the beach (which had better food prep but poorer service and staff attention) Spa was better at Jalousie Plantation

Need to travel to beaches. Jalousie beach was the best for us.

Caribbean
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 March 2011

People, Pitons, attitude, smile, friendly, kind, courteous, warm, generous, People, thoughtful,pleasant, cheerful, willing, People, People.....get the message?

1 Thank teddytoad
Peachtgree City, GA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2011

My husband and I just returned to the real world yesterday from paradise at The Ladera Resort in Soufriere, St. Lucia. We stayed for a week and were upgraded to a Grande Piton Suite which was to die for. From the minute we entered the Ladera property we were pampered and treated like royalty. All of the staff were extremely friendly and at our beck and call. A special thank you to Vianney in room service who graced us every day with a delicious breakfast delivered to our room. There is a $10 delivery charge but it is well worth it to enjoy your meal in the luxury of your suite with the view of the Pitons. The Ladera has thought of everything you might need while in your room, including a bright green little water pistol for chasing any hungry birds that may fly into your room while you're enjoying your meal. The birds are quite smart - we only had to raise the little squirt gun and they were gone. The robes and slippers were part of our attire during the week as you didn't need much more while we were in the room. The plunge pool is such a nice feature and was used regularly. The Dasheene Restaurant was oustanding - especially their lava cake dessert! If you're thinking of going to St. Lucia, The Ladera is the place to stay. It may not be on the beach but they have a free shuttle that will take you there and pick you up at very convenient times.

Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bagelblaster
Fairfield CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2011

My husband and I just finished a trip to St.Lucia and a few days at Ladera.

It was about as expected, after reading many of the helpful reviews here.
I loved the rooms, the unique & spectacular view, the 4 poster beds with mosquito nets and the open air layout of the resort. What I didn't like as much ( but was expecting it ) was being able to hear your neighbors at all times of the day- their toilet flushing etc., and also the surprisingly loud noise at night from the tree frogs. We ended up not sleeping particularly well- one night there was a possum in the room, another night a mouse. This didn't bother me much, but it doesn't lend itself to a really good nights sleep!!
So, back to the "upgrade". We had booked a Petit Piton room and were upgraded to a one bedroom villa- directly overlooking the restaurant, pool and taxi stand. It is A-1.We stayed one night there and then asked to be moved. We have been traveling a lot and packing up again to move to another room wasn't what I wanted to do on my holiday, but we were moved to our original, smaller room- much quieter. If they try and upgrade you to this room, I would have a look at it and see if it works for you before you move in.
We ate at Dasheene and also Boucan, across the street. Dasheen was ok, service and atmosphere was great. Boucan's food was better for me, ( my husband preferred Dasheene) and the service very nice too, but beware of the smallest glass of wine ever served. If you are going to have a glass or 2, I would recommend springing for a bottle.
Last, but not least, we opted to do the Gros Pition hike. Both my husband and I are fit people and it kicked our bums. It was really really hard- and for me not enjoyable. Walking up was hard, down nearly unbearable. I would only do this hike if you are
1. extremely fit
2. have no knee problems
3. Have a week or so to spend in St.Lucia

We were here only 3 days and I wished I have just opted to relax and lay by the beautiful pool instead.

Overall, I think it is a wonderful place to stay for a few days, I would recommend it.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!