“Ladera is Magical”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Venice, Florida
“Ladera is Magical”
Reviewed 24 September 2012

My wife and I recently celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary at Ladera, In our wildest dreams we could never have anticipated what a wonderful experience it would be. Going to bed listening to the chirping frogs and the sound of our own waterfall flowing into our own private pool was wonderful. Each evening we enjoyed cocktails in the lounge prior to dining on a gourmet dinner, (all with fresh local ingredients), with an amazing view of the pitons and the Caribbean bay as a backdrop…and breakfast and lunch were just as special. As for the staff…they were incredible, warm, friendly and always on top of every little detail…they were a true team, you could feel it and see it not only in the way they took care of us but in the way they interacted with each other…..Ladera is truly a magical experience for those who seek a truly memorable “get-away”.

Steve & Carol
Venice, FL

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Steven D
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, 28 September 2012
Thank you for choosing Ladera to celebrate your 50th wedding anniversary! We will be sure to share your comments with the entire team! Looking forward to welcoming you back very soon!
Shermael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Jackson, California
Reviewed 13 September 2012

Amazing!!! We went in June, which didn't have an amazing sunset like I have seen on the photos, but it still was the best resort I've been too. My husband and I and another couple honeymooned there and it was just fantastic. We had a horrible experience at the Sandals and Ladera made it so much better. 5 star food, activities and rooms. YOu seriously feel like royalty. The rain is so cool!!! We did have one power outage at the restaurant, but we didn't care it was an experience. Just make sure you get one of those walkie talkies. We didn't have one and really needed it instead of walking to the reception. This place gives you the true experience of St. Lucia unlike sandals. Ladera's customer service was 5 star. Make sure you tip on your adventures tho they forgot to tell us about that. And get a massage, the give you a complimentary 20 min message awesome!!! You have to be careful about the noise too since it's open rooms. Sometimes we heard loud ppl talking and doing "other" things at night, but they do give you a care package with ear plugs, but I couldn't use them it freaked me out.

Room Tip: They are all different some are smaller some are bigger. Their site shows good ones just try and req...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TTamantini
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, 20 September 2012
We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay at Ladera and were able to appreciate the authenticity and uniqueness of the resort. Looking forward to welcoming you on your next visit!
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 12 September 2012

This was our sixth or seventh visit to Ladera. But due to an unpleasant (to say the very least) experience with a previous manager, we hadn't been there for several years. Returning once again was like coming home. It was wonderful to see all of our old friends again and the truly awe inspring beauty of the Pitons.
We travel to the Carribean at least a couple of times each year (for about 10 years now) and have been to many places that are off the beaten tourist track. We avoid hordes of tourists like the plague. And I can tell you with absolute certainty that NOTHING even begins to match the breathtaking beauty of Ladera. We like the Grenadines, both Bequia and especially Mustique. And there are a few other places we go back to. But for those years when Ladera was off of our list of places to visit, we invariably arrived somewhere else and found it sadly lacking in comparison. There is only one Ladera and it is impossible to tell someone who has never been there how incredibly beautiful it is. If you've ever been somewhere and found that the pictures you looked at online just didn't live up to the reality you got when you arrived, Ladera is the polar opposite. The best photographer in the world cannot capture the grandeur and the majesty of the Pitons with a camera. A bird could have flown in my mouth the first time I saw it...and even after so many visits some of that feeling remains.
All of that being said, I need to warn you that Ladera is not for everyone. First and foremost, they do not have their own beach and you are not especially welcome at Jalousie or Anse Chastanet, which are your two choices if you want to spend some time on one. Jalousie will rent you their beach chairs for the exorbitant price of $20 each per day. But the snorkeling right off the beach is terrific. Both resorts would obviously would prefer you stay with them and not at Ladera. And you might want to do precisely that if "going to the beach" is your primary thing.
Next, all the rooms and suites are open on the Pitons side. Yes, birds and bugs will fly in. DO NOT leave your lights on when you go down or up to Dasheene or the T'Chocklit lounge. You're in the tropics and the moths (in particular) are huge. And yes, there are a lot of lizards. It never ceases to amaze me that people complain these things...but they do.
Now, some advice...when you get there take a few deep breaths and let all of the pressure go. As our old friend Barley at the bar says, "You are on vay-cay-shun". Relax and get on island time. It's easy to say but actually pretty hard to do. And the sooner you can do that, the more you'll enjoy your stay.
There really is a lot to do and see...too much for one or two weeks. The resort offers various excursions, a number of which we've done. But be sure you take in one of Ray Butcher's on site garden tours. They grow a lot of what you'll eat in the restaurant right on the premises. It's every bit as good as the more formal tour of the Botannical Garden. And it doesn't cost you a dime.
Also, try and spend a little time in Soufriere while you're there. Visit our friend "Downtown Debbie" as we affectionately call her for some souveniers. Stop by the old gas station and get an ice cream from our dear, dear friend Rosemary. Tell her Curt and Karen say "hi". Have lunch or dinner at the Hummingbird. If they like you, maybe you'll get one or two homemade "spiced rums"...two is my absolute limit. Try it, you'll see.
Last, if you're there on a Friday, be sure you go to the fish fry in Anse La Raye. It's a little pricey but worth it. Anse La Raye is essentially a very poor fishing village that came up with a way to generate money for local people. They have homemade spiced rum there as well...so you know. And the way we feel about it, we have a responsibility to put a little money in the hands of people who have so little.
As you can probably tell, we know a lot more about Ladera and St. Lucia than the average tourist...a lot more than any other review you'll read. But it's impossible for me to tell you everything in one post. So if you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I'll do my best to tell you the truth.
We are VERY biased. Many of the people at Ladera are truly our friends and we want them to do well. So we obviously want you to visit. That's our agenda...questions anyone?

Room Tip: Some rooms are better than others. We liked R...Gros Piton. Just be aware that you will get some roa...
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Curt R
Dear Curt and Karen we are so glad that you decided to return to Ladera this year! As always your feedback is very much appreciated and we can’t wait to see you again for your eighth visit to Ladera!
Freehold, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 September 2012

Ladera was the first of three hotels that we stayed at during our honeymoon. I used tripadvisor I strongly recommend everyone’s reviews, as they were very helpful.

St. Lucia is a beautify island and Ladera really takes advantage of the exotic nature of the island. When we arrived to check in the staff gave us a genuine warm welcome. They gave us the unique and refreshing drink with fresh cool hand towels. They’d make a fortune if they bottled and sold this drink. What a great way to freshen up after a long trip.

The room was incredible. The view was majestic. We had the Piton Mountains on each side and could see down to the beach with palm trees. A night we’d watch the moon and occasionally an ocean liner would pass by in the distance like a floating city. We had no problem sleeping or with bugs that a few other people commented on.

The people of St. Lucia are so warm and friendly and the staff at Ladera are no exception. We learned a new phrase that quickly became our favorite, “No pressure, no problem.” Sandi was one of the memorable people we met during our stay at Ladera. Every morning she would announce our names with a huge smile as we entered the restaurant for breakfast. She made us smile, relax and feel welcomed all at once.

Speaking of the food. My wife and I are foodies who enjoy both cooking in and dining out. It’s a common interest we share and we wanted a memorable culinary experience to be part of our honeymoon. Dasheene exceeded our expectations. Chef Orlando is a genious!!! The dishes were fresh, light with complex flavors that just left us in awe. His website is http://sharethelovechef.com if you want to get a preview.

We did the Peak to Beach package with the hotel Cap Maison. A great tip I got from these reviews was to go with the all inclusive and I concur.

We spent time zip lining, lounging on the beach, snorkeling and poolside. I also wanted to comment on the beach and service. A few people were not pleased with this part. We experienced no problems at all. The beach is beautiful, the water tropical and great snorkeling too.

Our stay at Ladera was the perfect “pattern interrupt” to move from the stress of life and the wedding to relaxing honeymoon.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
We look forward to welcoming you back on your anniversary! The Ladera welcome cocktail will be waiting for you!
Columbus, Georgia
Reviewed 9 September 2012 via mobile

Let me start by saying I have stayed in hotels all over the world and I was completely blown away by this resort. I was worried we were going to be hot. I was afraid we would be disappointed. I was WRONG! We were in suite F. The service from Mellisa and Caroline was second to none. The room was a work of art. The view, breathtaking. The room was comfortable, very cool at night. I was injured on a hike to the Gros Piton. The staff jumped into action to coordinate getting me to the hospital. Ensuring the ambulance took me to the best hospital. Mellisa waited at night to ensure I made it back and even had a hot meal waiting for us in our room. I was blown away. I usually don't go back to the same places as I like to see lots of new places.. This is an exception, I will be back.. Also, Dasheene, the restaurant, was so good!

Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kelly B
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you so much for your wonderful comment! We aim to create “moments of magic” and looking very much forward to welcoming you back to Ladera next year!
Clarksburg, New Jersey
Reviewed 8 September 2012

We had a wonderful time at Ladera during our entire stay. It is an absolutely fabulous place to visit. The view of the Caribbean sea is awesome.The staff is fantastic and most attentive starting with Kenneth our driver, Scholasticus, Shawn, Livia, Melissa, Marvelin, Velma, Lee, Elizabeth, Cynthia, Jeniffer, Yvonne, Caroline, Mike & Holly et al.
L adera is a lovely place to visit.
A wesome staff.
D elicious food.
E veryone was absolutely fantastic.
R are find.
A gem located in the Caribbean - would go back again and again.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank eandi67
Thank you so much for acknowledging some of our star employees! We look forward to your return visit very soon!
Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 7 September 2012

As soon as I arrived at the front gate and was escorted to my room I realized this was a truly different experience.

The property was simply breath taking. From the unique architecture, to the gardens, the beautiful view of the Pitons, the rooms, the staff, the dinning experience, everything was stunning!

I stayed in Room B which was a 2 bedroom villa with a pool that over looked the Ocean. What a view! The natural beauty of the room made it seem as if we were actually a part of the hillside!

The atmosphere and cuisine made the dinning experience world class. I tired pretty much everything on the menu (I'm a bit of a "opportunivore") and the mahi mahi was one of my favourite! They also took the time to explain that all of the food was produced by local farmers which I personally appreciate.

I had the rare opportunity of taking a tour of the new rooms that are currently under construction. What an experience that was seeing artists at work! It was clearly more than a job. I was blown away by how everything was completely handmade. From the exotic wood doors, bed frames to the custom carved poles, to the puzzle pieces of colourful tiles being methodically placed together. When I come back, I will definitely hope to stay in one of those rooms!

Thank you to the whole team that made my experience at Ladera welcoming and comfortable!

Room Tip: While every room is unique, they all share the same breath taking view of the Pitons and beautiful l...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!