“Wonderful anniversary”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful anniversary”
Reviewed 23 July 2013

We spent a couple of nights at Ladera recently to celebrate our 27th wedding anniversary, having originally spent our honeymoon on St Lucia. Despite a dreadful journey from Barbados on LIAT (a four hour delay living up to it's reputation of 'Leave Island Any Time'), we were immediately relaxed once we arrived. We were given a wonderful 2 bed suite (which actually had 3 bedrooms). The rooms and views are well represented by the photos on the site and the view and setting is amongst the most beautiful I have experienced anywhere in the world. The staff were very happy to help us settle in and very attentive to our needs. We had a wonderful time and returned very relaxed. Read the advice on the other reviews about staying in a open air room. If it still bothers you, don't go (but then you probably shouldn't go anywhere tropical).

Room Tip: If you're going off-peak and/or it's a special occasion, see if you can get an upgrade.
3 Thank Andy C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Kennesaw, Georgia
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I just got back from our honeymoon in St. Lucia which was unbelievable! Ladera Resort was the best, most perfect experience we have ever had! The staff was incredibly friendly and helpful. Always smiling and making sure we had everything we needed. The food was remarkable! Honestly the best food we have ever eaten! The seafood past was so good and the basket of pastries served at breakfast were always fresh and delicious! And the view was BREATHTAKING! We loved staying here and will definitely be back again hopefully very very soon!

3 Thank LORI G
San Diego, California
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I came to Ladera On July 4th through the 9th, just because. I spent a month prior reading every review, looking at every picture and searching for blogs because I was so excited to come here. So I felt I knew what to expect. All our extra money goes to traveling so we are no strangers to adventure and are not critical. This trip just goes to show that every trip is different and you can never be totally prepared.
I'm going to mention a few things besides my thoughts on Ladera that helped make our trip a bit more interesting.
We decided to rent a car which I'm glad we did. Transportation to and from the resort was going to be $80 each way per couple not including tip. We spent $300 for 5 days and the freedom to come and go as we pleased. This seemed to be the better option. We really got our moneys worth.
I bought our trip through Luxurylink.com. We may have saved a little bit but probably not much and it didn't come with any extras.
It takes about 45 minutes to drive to the resort. There isn't much in the way of signs but once you get onto the main road you run right into it. We stopped at one of their main grocery stores called Super J in hopes of stocking up on water, rum, salamis, cheeses, bread and other picnic items. We planned on beach hopping a few days. This was one of the most sorry stores we have ever been into. Selection was ZERO so we bought waters and headed to the hotel in hopes of finding a better store later.
We were met by someone at the resort with cool towels and fruit juice. We were told to leave everything in our car and that someone would get it for us and bring it to the room. We were lead straight to the room which I thought was nice instead of having to sit in reception and fill out all our information feeling anxious about just getting to the room. We were lead to room N and just like everyone says, the first thing you see is the view looking down the mountain towards sugar beach framed by the pitons. We were shown the room in all it's details, told of our complimentary champagne and a few beers and sodas and shown how to use the phone to contact reception. Let me advise you of one of the mistakes I made prior to coming here and that was spending too much time looking at other peoples pictures of their rooms. I initially thought "This room is so small and there is nowhere to lounge by this small pool." I started to ask about a possible upgrade and before I could finish my sentence she advised me that they were completely full this week and there were no other options. After that I mentally slapped myself and said stop whining "look where you are!"
We quickly unpacked and asked about another store. There was a small grocery store in the town of Soufriere called (maybe areoline, or something similar to that) 15 minutes away. This store was only a bit better but we were able to find rum, a still warm baguette some salami, cheese and some local tomatoes and a few other snacks to keep us happy. We were accosted by a man on the way out of the store asking for money and rum and was aggressively dissuaded to leave us alone by a few locals which we thought was interesting. We spent the rest of the evening in our plunge pool which was a bit chilly on entrance then very comfortable once in it. We decided to skip going to dinner and just enjoy our new view and cocktails from our pool. It would have been nice if there was a little pool skimmer to clean the bugs and months out of the water every once in a while. Especially in the morning when you get up and want to take a dip. The pool by then is covered in dead bugs and moths so it made it not as appealing to jump right into. So I spent a good amount of time trying to clear the pool with my hands. I would suggest asking if they have a skimming net and just have them leave it. I never asked.
This gets me to the title of my review. We were here in July. I think this is the beginning of hurricane season and you always take your chances when traveling to the islands. There are many conflicting stories about people and their bug experiences. This is just mine. I love the open concept of Ladera. I love the lizards popping out of the woodwork, the birds flying into and around the room, the stray cat running across the room and leaping out into the bushes, slugs drowning in your rum and coke (well, that was exciting) and the frogs croaking in the distance, BUT............ I was truly unprepared for the assault on my body by the unseen and unheard bugs that feasted upon me like a free chinese buffett day and night. I'm not even sure they were mosquitos. This is not the resorts problem. This is because you're virtually part of the landscape. And the stormy humid weather most likely brought them out in full force. I read plenty of other reviews where this wasn't a problem. I was doused in bug repellent and it helped absolutely ZERO. My husband walked away with maybe one or two bites from the whole trip where I looked like I had the chicken poxs. Im very curious as to why this happens to some people and not others. This almost ruined the trip for me because I was miserable day and night and felt like a crazy person scratching and fidgeting and no amount of anti-itch cream helped me. So please be prepared for this.
As far as our room, it was very fun. Like staying in luxury two story tree house with gorgeous hardwood floors and furniture. The shower was fantastic. Also completely open and exposed to the views below. It would have been nice if there were some lounge type of chairs next to the pool. There was really nowhere comfortable to sit and stare out at the view unless you were standing in the pool or moved one of the uncomfortable chairs from the table over towards the pool. There is a small couch that was set further back into the room but your view ended up being just of the sky while in it. This is a very minor complaint but for me it would have made it just that more wonderful. Im assuming the space in the room was just too small to accommodate for this.
The resort offers free internet access in the room which was great. I know you are coming here to get away from it all but it was very helpful in allowing us to track the tropical storm that was chasing us down. We wanted to know which days were going to be the best beach days or hide in the room days.
As soon as the sun starts to set is when you get your next adventure. Thats when the onslaught of giant bat sized moths followed by their much smaller and more annoying flying critters come to visit the light. Yes, turning out all the lights helps this but then what? When the sun sets there is no more view so you're forced into bed behind the not so protective netting. I have no problem with early evenings in hopes of a good night sleep in anticipation of a fun beach day. My problem was the netting they have still allows for tiny flying critters who are fascinated with the light from your electronic reader or the reading light on the headboard to bombard you. This wasn't a problem for my husband but I did annoy him with my constant swiping at my reader and causing sticky bug gut streaks across the screen. My suggestion is lots of Ambien and Benadryl. Just don't over do it!
Yes it's very loud at night but we enjoyed the sounds of heavy rain on the leaves, ear covering thunder and blinding lightning. This isn't an every night occurrence (maybe in July) but it was spectacular. Not something we are used to in San Diego so we enjoyed it. The sounds of nature were drowned out by the rain until the sun comes up and the birds fly into your room, sit on the four poster bed you're in and scream down to you "WAKE UP!!! WAKE UP!!!" Guess they want you to get an early start.
We had dinner at Dasheen one night. I read over and over that this was the best restaurant on the island and I'll have to say we were quite disappointed. We found it to be quite average. If you go, try to get a reservation before the sun sets so you can at least enjoy the beautiful view. If you plan on drinking wine, you are going to be splurging or you're wealthy. I know decent wine is all imported and will cost a bit more but for instance, a bottle of Orin Swift Prisoner which is about $36 in the states, you will be paying $143 at Dasheen. No Joke. Having said that, you are on vacation.
We also walked across the street to have dinner at Boucan. Again, get here early for the views. The restaurant is beautiful and I'm glad we went only to say that we experienced it. I know that their claim to fame is their coco. Thats all well and good but not everything tastes good with hints of chocolate. We started out with a leek and coco soup. Tasted like onions and chocolate. Not so great. Spinach is not always better with coco and I laughed when my husband ate his entree of coco crusted pork and said "that would have been good as an appetizer!" Anyway, sounds like most other reviewers liked their meal and their experience here. I think we were the exception.

Having our rental car was nice. We did go beach hopping. We were able to leave on our time schedule and not have to wait for the shuttle to and from sugar beach. There is a long steep hike down to sugar beach from their parking area which might be a problem for those who may not be in the best of shape when hiking back up. Once you get to the beach, it's beautiful and well worth spending the day. $50 each to rent the Sugar Beach Resort chairs, $20 each to rent very comfortable padded chairs that are in front of the bar area and free plastic lounge chairs on the opposite side of a dock (yes they are pretty bad but you don't have to sit there) and free to lounge on the beach on your towel or blanket which plenty of people were doing. We rented the $20 chairs and were in heaven. They will bring you cocktails and food right out to your chair. It was a great relaxing day!
We also drove to the beach at Anse Chastanet. We were given snorkel gear from Ladera and this is where the best snorkeling on the island is supposed to be and we agreed that it was. Again we rented chairs under a palapa. I think we paid $30-40 for all 3. Same deal, right next to the bar, drinks and food brought out to you. We also drove the 15 miles which took two hours to go to Reduit Beach at Rodney Bay. The drive is similar to the road to Hana in Maui if you have ever driven that. Very hilly and windy yet beautiful and a great way to see the island. I did cause my husband unneeded stress because there are large gutters, pot holes and all kinds of unusual obstacles to overcome and every time he hit a hole or got to close the edge of a cliff I may or may not have freaked out a little bit. Sorry about that. The beach at Reduit was much longer and also much more touristy with lots of families and people renting short expensive rides on inflatable bananas and other rafts and taking out jet skis longer than they were supposed to and having the owners of the skis yell at them for more money and not following directions which was quite comical. At the Rodney Bay Mall they do have the best grocery store on the island called Foodmarket. Huge selection of all those picnic items that would have been nice at the beginning of the trip.
The rest of our days were spent lounging at the main pool at Ladera. There were only 9 lounge chairs and they were all taken by 10 am. I assume everyone else is enjoying their rooms or down on sugar beach. The views from the pool area are probably the best on the property. They have small "warmed" pools on the property but they were out of service the entire time we were there.

On the afternoon of our last day there was a knock on our door advising us that there was a tropical storm heading for the island and that it would be here in a few hours. Because of the open floor plan and the possible exposure to the rain and getting soaked, we had the option of checking into another hotel with 4 walls for the night. We opted to check into another hotel because I was out of my mind uncomfortable with bug bites and getting out of the elements sounded like a good idea. Our only option was Anse Chastanet at a cost to us of $370 for one evening. Had we booked directly with Ladera they would have reimbursed us for the lost night but since we booked with Luxury Link, we ended up eating the additional cost. A quick pack and a rainy drive to another hotel left me with the sensation of leaving a party and not thanking the host for their hospitality.
Overall we really enjoyed Ladera. If you can, splurge and get the bigger rooms up on the hill. It will give you much more room to relax and not feel so cramped. The weather most likely has a lot to do with the bug bite issues so come prepared with protection and tons of calamine lotion and don't come during hurricane season when it's so humid.

5 Thank martinridge
Parker, Colorado, United States
Reviewed 16 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from our 8 day stay at Ladera's Paradise Ridge Hilltop suites to celebrate our 10th anniversary. From the moment we set foot on the property, we were welcomed with true sincerity and genuine warmth. We were handed refreshing mint towels and a lovely iced tropical tea, then whisked away by our butler, Schol, who drove us up to our suite and welcomed us "Home". Amazing, breath-taking . . . I nearly cried when we entered our room and saw our view. We were treated to complimentary champagne and Schol informed us he would take care of anything we needed during our stay. Keisher was another butler that took care of all the details while we were there. LOVED these two!! Our butlers were so wonderful and we were really able to just kick back and enjoy without worrying about how to get to where we want to go for meals, entertainment, etc. They gave us great recommendations and told us much about the island. So friendly and funny, too! All the staff members there gave us such a great feeling, like this is right where we should be and we felt so at home. We actually felt like celebrities or royalty! Viennay was another member we thought was just great! He was our guide from the resort for our Fish Fry experience and he was so fun, but also did an excellent job of keeping everything organized and making sure everyone in the group was included and enjoying the experience.

I wanted to be sure to highlight the point about the staff, because by now I'm sure most people have gotten the idea that the views and rooms here are definitely amazing and one-of-a-kind, almost once-in-a-lifetime. You should know that the staff are what make this experience complete.

Meals at Dasheene were so delectable! It was difficult to tear ourselves away from the incredible room, but the ambiance and different view of the Pitons brought us in and kept us coming back. You have to get the curried shrimp!

I don't believe anyone NEEDS to have the butler service to feel wonderful and welcomed at Ladera. If you are able to, though, go for Paradise Ridge or for sure the Hilltop Suites!! It will be the most memorable, wonderful experience you can imagine! Bugs and tree frogs did not stop us from savoring every moment of our stay. Let the staff at Ladera treat you and make it possible for you to live in paradise for a while!

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Oakton, Virginia
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I am long overdue in writing this. In January we returned to Ladera for our second visit. We had so enjoyed our visit in March 2011, that we could not wait to come back and stretched our stay to five days.

Other than the hassle of getting through the airport at each end of the trip, this is about as close as it gets to paradise. In five days we never left the resort except for a sunset cruise. We had a Hilltop Dream Suite with the all-inclusive package and lived a completely hedonistic routine. We rolled out of bed to go to breakfast, returned to our room and drifted in our pool until lunch, ate lunch and drifted some more, worked out in the gym out of guilt (or got a massage) had drinks in the bar and a langourous sunset dinner, and retired to start the routine all over again. The pace is what you want it to be. If you are completely in love with your spouse and she is your best friend in the world, you cannot find a better place. On the other hand, if you are dependent on external stimulus, it may not be your particular cup of tea.

The other reviews in sum capture some of the essence of the place. Luxury here is not the polished grande luxe of a Ritz Carlton or a Four Seasons, but the luxury of a natural rain forest oasis featuring native handicrafts and furniture. The views are incomparable.

I can't speak for others, but in our trips in January and March we have experienced no "bug" problems -- it may be as simple as turning off your lights at night and enjoying the view. In any case in a total of nine days at Ladera, we have never had a single bug bite, and my wife is unusually susceptible to mosquitos.

Finally, I would be remiss in not mentioning the wonderful and welcoming staff. They are there to meet your every need and take special personal pride in Ladera. Our server, Leah, was an especially gracious and helpful ambassador for the resort and deserves a special shout-out from us.

We look forward to returning to Ladera every two years.

Room Tip: Th Hilltop Dream Suites are worth the price difference. You get a heated pool instead of an unseate...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dave C
Alexandria, Virginia
Reviewed 11 July 2013

I will give you an honest, common sense review. I am extremely scared of spiders and not down with mosquitoes and bugs. I was terrified to come here but I knew it would be potentially missing out on a once in a lifetime experience. I am SO GLAD I went. First of all, there are some reviews below who are just mind-blowingly stupid. For those who are off on tangents, commenting on the roads of St. Lucia or the beach chairs at Sugar Beach- THIS PAGE IS FOR LADERA REVIEWS. I'm not understanding why you're complaining about windy, hilly roads on Ladera's resort review page. As if they have any control over that. The Sugar Beach beach chairs commenters- also has nothing to do with Ladera! It is a public beach. Someone below said "we had to pay $40 to sit down"... FALSE. There was a section of beach which had free chairs. If you did not like those, you can pay $40, which we actually did, to use SUGAR BEACH VICEROY HOTEL'S chairs. They are not Ladera's. So yeah, you have to pay for them because you're NOT STAYING at the Viceroy Resort! Seems pretty logical. There were also more expensive $50 per person chairs with white cloth which we simply chose to not get. For me, this was not a beach vacation. You want light blue water, go to the British Virgin Islands. For me this was about Ladera- Getting back to LADERA... anyone who says "no one told me this and that"... all that means is you didn't do your research. If you check the reviews of this place, A LOT of them, not just the ones on the first page, you will see highly mixed reviews. So don't claim you were shocked about the bugs. All that said- my main point of this review is to say it really depends WHAT ROOM you're in at Ladera. Most reviews about rooms P and A etc are unhappy campers. Anyone in a Hilltop Dream Suite is generally a happy camper. Our room, I believe, was the most perfect room there. It was not paradise ridge, it was a Hilltop Dream. I don't want to say the room number because I want to keep it secret so our room will be available and not constantly booked should we go again next year! More for me. Anyway, we saw paradise ridge rooms because we asked for a tour. Honestly, I felt like we had just as good amenities in our Hilltop Dream. There is more physical space in paradise ridge, but other than that, for a couple, we didn't need all that jazz. We toured the room Oprah stayed in once. It was huge. Unnecessary for us though. Our pool was Fan-freakin-tastic with a swing and a rock to set our champagne on. We had hummingbirds all the time. We had a bed with netting which gave a great night's sleep. I did not even need my netted bug hat which I brought just in case. The whole time I got ONE mosquito bite. And I attract the things like crazy. I was THRILLED with our room. There's even a breeze in the bathroom through the shutters so your makeup and hair dry quickly. Ladera's view is simply stunning and I have never felt so peaceful and tranquil as I did here just looking at the view all day. I've been to Tahiti- this view was equally stunning. The food was excellent. I was very happy the resort is nut free due to the owner having allergy which I do as well. Our driver, Dave, was great. We had him going there and back and never waited- always on time. You MUST go to Ladera at least once in your life. HOPE TO SEE YOU AGAIN SOON LADERA!! Kristin and BJ Anderson

Room Tip: Get a Hilltop Dream Suite
1 Thank Kristin A
London
Reviewed 10 July 2013

This resort is set high up overlooking the forests and coastline. The staff are incredibly sweet and helpful and genuinely friendly. The rooms only have three walls and there is no way of keeping out mosquitos etc. Albeit the views are incredible, this type of luxury is very much back to nature. if you don't mind nature being in your room you will love this hotel.

Room Tip: Stay in the new Paradise Ridge - rooms are more spacious and the views sensational.
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Thank you for your comments. At this time of the year, you will find bugs all over the Caribbean and for this reason you will notice "Fogging" at most locations. With our suites open concept, accommodations are misted on a daily basis and high quality nets enclose our beds. Thank you for your appreciation of our staff and service.
Shermael
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!