“Totally Awesome”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 18 December 2013

I have been all over the world and have stayed in many nice resorts. This is my favorite. When they took us to our room, I was blown away by the open concept (without a 4th wall) and amazing views. I couldnt believe how beautiful the views were. We spent more time in our villa then ever before just enjoying the villa and views. The staff members were very good. Very nice, polite and very helpful. I have never been treated so nice. There are a lot of good/fun activities to participate in too. I don't have any complaints about Ladera. Even the days it rained, we still had a blast. They thought of everything. I felt like a rock star being there. People complained about the cost, but they should know that before going, and then not stress about it. When I look back at my week there I am very happy. Another nice thing about the resort is that they hire local people. If they can't find somone to fit the position, they provide the proper training to the local person. It seems as though the resort really supports the community as well.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the restaurant, only because the band plays a little late and there isnt a 4t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Greg C

Reviewed 15 December 2013

My family thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Ladera Resort. The views were astonishing, the landscaping is impressive, and the staff was very helpful, kind, and professional. One problem (and advantage) is that the rooms have three sides. The side that looks out over the Pitons is open. This makes the experience special, but it also means that one can hear one's neighbors if they are up late (which happened one night) and one hears tree frogs (a plus, we felt). The rooms might better be described as (very) comfortable rather than elegant. The swimming pool is not large. The restaurant is not outstanding. The hotel is not on the beach (there is a van which makes three trips a day). The hotel is not close to other restaurants (with one exception) and is not close to shopping. However, if you can live with these aspects of this resort, Ladera is very much to be recommended. The views are so remarkable that one feels that one is in the middle of a World Heritage Site (and one is!). Our memories of those volcanic cones will last forever.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
7  Thank GAF11
Reviewed 12 December 2013

From your first steps upon arrival and throughout, polite, friendly and accommodating service awaits you.
The beauty of the resort is breathe taking. Nature surrounds you with beautiful views and superior cuisine. A very special place and a definite must.
Sandy and Steve S.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sandra S
Reviewed 9 December 2013

Everyone needs to experience all that Ladera has to offer. Whether you are on a honeymoon, celebrating an anniversary or just looking for some R&R, Ladera is the place for you. For those looking for an all inclusive - this may not be it - but let me tell you... it is WELL worth the price you pay. I have stayed at many all inclusives and the difference you get with Ladera is priceless.

STAFF
Upon arrival we were greeted by 4 staff members we saw throughout our stay. They gave us a complementary drink and we were taken right to our room, Room G, with a bit of a tour along the way. Everyone was so incredibly nice and helpful. Shawn, our room attendant, was BEYOND HELPFUL. You are given a cell phone upon arrival and all we had to do was give him a call. One of the owners of the resort was onsite for anything we needed as well. We were welcomed with a complimentary bottle of champagne along with a hand written note from Holly. Talk about personalization and a warm welcome! The staff at the restaurant were fantastic as well and our server each night was Leah. She was extremely so sweet, a great waitress and very professional.

LOCATION
What can I say? Heaven on Earth is what comes to mind. St. Lucia is quite close to the equator so you can expect a warm 30 degree celsius all year round. Ladera is nestled on the hillside of a mountain that has views of both Piton mountains AND the most stunning view of Jalhousie/Sugar Beach. The view might be by far one of the greatest things about this resort. We could just stare at it for hours on end.

ROOM
OH MY GOD. We felt so fortunate to call our room home for 4 days. It honestly felt like our very own private treehouse nestled into the hillside. Having no 4th wall was one of the greatest experiences we have ever had. We had an indoor AND outdoor pool that was quite warm but still very refreshing when you needed to get out of the sun.
There were 2 levels to our room with the bedroom located on the top floor. Let me tell you, there is nothing like waking up to the open air and a view of petit piton. If you are a light sleeper there are earplugs as the frogs can be a little noisy but I found this extremely relaxing.
The only negative thing I would say is that if you are terrified of bats you might feel a little uneasy. During sunset you can watch the bats come out, swooping between the Pitons for bugs and food. I found this incredibly awesome... my husband not so much. They got pretty close to us at times but honestly they are harmless.
I myself am afraid of spiders and I can happily say i did NOT SEE A SINGLE ONE! :)
In your fridge on the main level they stock it full of fresh fruits, piton beer and other things. My number 1 suggestion would be to bring alcohol with you and get some juice from the restaurant for cocktails. We brought a bottle of Grey Goose Vodka and it helped with limiting the cost of booze while we were there.
The room is filled with artwork and sculptures from a local artist who we actually met but whose name I forget. There is absolutely nothing like the rooms and the decor in it.

RESTAURANT
The Dasheene Restaurant exceeded all of our expectations. Staying at the resort you are given the complementary continental breakfast. Forget any type of continental breakfast you have ever had because this is truly amazing. Fresh fruit, yogurt, pastries, granola, cereal, freshly squeezed juice are brought right to your table. This is MORE than enough and quite satisfying, but if needed there are several options for things like bacon & eggs, eggs benedict, etc., to satisfy your breakfast needs. There are little birds that may come by for a visit - but the resort gives you little squirt guns if they are bothering you. They were never a bother to us and learned that the staff names a few of them including one 1 legged bird aptly named Peg. Anyway in the resort it goes without saying that the views are amazing and the same goes for the restaurant.
Dinner was amazing. We had the lobster and steak most nights and it was done to perfection. It is no wonder people come from all around the island to eat here. There was live entertainment most nights including a great reggae band. The drinks are quite pricey at about 12 dollars per cocktail - but they were original and delicious.

SUGAR BEACH
We had been to this beach years ago when we stopped in St. Lucia on a cruise. There is nothing I have every experienced like it. The water is unbelievably crystal clear and the amount of sea life you see while snorkeling is almost worth the trip itself.
There is a shuttle that leaves 4 times a day and 4 times for pick up.
The only issue you will hear about is laying on the beach. There is another hotel down on the beach that will charge $50 to stay on their nice and comfortable white beach chairs (aka couches). We did this one day and though it was pricey it was still worth it. The food at this beach was also amazing. If you do not want to pay that price there are free chairs on the side of the nature reserve. One guest called this the beach chair cemetery which was really humorous but compared to the white couches it did make is look a little gravely. Over on the nature reserve side there is a man known as the Farmer. We came to find out that he was Leah (from Daheene's) brother. He sells amazing fresh fruit like prickly pears that you HAVE to try.

Overal this was a vacation to last a lifetime. My husband basically vowed that HAVE to go back as soon as possible. It probably ruined other future vacations for us because we really don't think it could be beat.

Do yourself a favour and book this resort. You cannot pay for this kind of beauty, nature and experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Amanda H
Reviewed 9 December 2013

As per all the other reviews it is obvious that this is a beautiful hotel. The views, the privacy and service were amazing! We spent a week here in October this year. Unfortunately it was the rainy season and therefore excursions were a bit tricky to book. As another traveler noted there are no phones or TV's to connect to home. Cell phone service and internet are enough though. It took my husband 1 day to get used to this but by the end of the week he was just as sad as I was to leave and return to reality. We met the owner, Holly while we were there. She was very sweet and told us all about the resort and how it came to be all while hanging out in the hotel bar. She also helped us book a last minute Dive trip with a friend of hers which was terrific. This was the first trip my husband and I had had alone in over 10yrs. We talked, read, danced, and just enjoyed the place. It was our time and very well worth it! XIII is a beautiful hilltop room. Barley,Christine and all the servers and waiters were very nice and attentive without being overly so. The gym is small but they have the essentials and we used it on several days. The spa staff was also amazing. 3 trips here were not cheap but so worth it. Sugarbeach was nice but we weren't warned about the money needed to get a decent chair- 40$!! 20 if you go for the cheap ones or just a towel in the sand. It was a memorable trip and we plan to return in the summer/spring months to fully enjoy the room pool and other excursions. We came home a very happy and relaxed couple.

Room Tip: We had a hilltop room with 2 levels. 1 room had A/C. Sleep was not an issue for me although my hus...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fran W
Reviewed 1 December 2013 via mobile

Generally, I don't do reviews for places that have hundreds of reviews already.  Little new can be said that hasn't been said before.  But, for this hotel, I thought I'd add mine.

Having read 20 or so recent reviews, I couldn't help notice  a certain similarity.  It seems vast majority of them have been written by newly married ladies who are still getting used to the idea of being married, thus the preponderance of "my husband" this and " my husband" that.

With the glow of the wedding still upon them, they gush over incredible views and attentive service.  So, if you are a bride to be,  planning a honeymoon, pay close attention to their trip reports.
This one, though, is for the fellows.
If you are hesitating to come to this resort because you think it's all about hand-holding, and sunsets, and walks on the far off beach, fear not.
These gushing brides, perhaps out of modesty and prudence, omit the most important feature of this hotel.
Having been married for 15 years and celebrating the special occasion of parents agreeing to watch the kids over the Thanksgiving weekend,
I was looking for a place that allowed complete privacy and had a private pool - for minimum interaction with people outside the room, and maximum interaction for the two people inside.  Room N, which I was shown first, with its bath tub sized pool, did not fit my plans.  Hilltop suite, a $150/nt upgrade, certainly did.
The huge two level room, the large pool overlooking the bay about a mile away, and total privacy allows you to treat the room as your own clothing-optional resort.  Your heated pool ensures comfortable contact with your swimming companion at all times of the day.  And the terrace over your pool is great for sunbathing, eliminating the need to go out into the public areas.
What that means, ladies, is that you can hold off on buying that new expensive bathing suit, and underpack on swimwear and clothing in general, because outside of an occasional trip to the public pool (only slightly bigger than your own), a shuttle ride to the beach (an unwelcoming place if you're not staying in their resort), and your 3 meals at the restaurant (which you can take in your room), you will spend very little time clothed in anything at all.
Oh yeah.
It's that kind of a place.
Not a good place to go if you're having marital problems.  With no nightlife of any kind, and not even TVs in the rooms, your traveling partner will be your only entertainment for the evening...and for the morning...and sometimes after the afternoon nap.
And yes, there are also spectacular views, attentive service, and glorious sunsets.  That too.
Some practical notes.  Since you will be spending an extraordinary amount of time in your room, you may want to consider how you will keep your lady properly hydrated without having to don underwear and walk all the way down to the bar for the $13 drink.  Since now you have all this open space in your luggage from not packing too many clothes, you can throw in a few bottles of your favorite beverage for the in-room consumption.
The trip down to the beach takes you to the Sugarbeach  resort, where they promptly collect your $20 per old, cracked-vinyl-covered chair, in the ghetto section away from the beautiful people lounging on pretty beach beds, and invite you to have lunch at their restaurant, home of the $27 burger.
And, regrettably for such a wonderful hotel, I found the restaurant unworthy of the high praises of the previous commentors.  Over three lunches and two dinners, each dish was beautifully presented, but the flavor did not live up to the presentation.  On our last night we ate at the Boucan across the street, which I think is a better (and slightly less expensive) choice.
So, in conclusion, I think this is an awesome place to get away to for a few days.  Spending more than 3-4 nights here would be an overkill.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
26  Thank anon73
Reviewed 30 November 2013 via mobile

My boyfriend and I recently visited the Ladera to celebrate his 40 bday. We told the Ladera in advance and they surprised us with a bottle of Prosecco and a very nice note upon arrival. We also followed the advice of other reviewers and asked for a room away from the bar and the highway which was accommodated. The room we ended up with was beautiful and very clean. We also had access to the famous sugar beach which was very nice.

This is not a hotel for people who don't want to "rough it" while at a luxury resort. What I mean by rough it is that you will undoubtedly experience Mosquitos, birds, we saw a stray cat In our room, lizards, frogs, etc. Also, You can definitely smell the sulfur volcano from this property pretty much all the time.

The food on the property is good. Breakfast (which is included) is your typical continental fare, or you can pay more for a protein/full breakfast. We were too late for lunch a couple of days and had to order off their lite bite / tapas menu. Dinner was good, but expensive. We found more creative menus at better prices nearby, but it's definitely worthwhile to have dinner here at least a couple of nights during your stay.

Housekeeping was good but inconsistent (ie had to call and ask for towels that were not replenished, things for coffee, etc) but it was only a minor annoyance.

Overall, a very pleasant stay. You can't beat this location - you are ao close to the pitons and all the outdoorsy things the island has to offer. A very unique experience and we'd come back.

Ps. I think a car rental from this property is essential.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JL1180
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!