“There are better places for a romantic getaway” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Jacksonville Beach, Florida
“There are better places for a romantic getaway”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2014

If you look at my profile, you can see that I have traveled a lot and rarely take the time to write negative reviews. My goal with this review isn't to list the overwhelming number of annoying things we had to deal with a Ladera. My goal is to give information I wish that I had before booking. The rooms at Ladera are some of the coolest designs I've ever seen, and the views are exquisite. However, that is about the only goods things I can say about Ladera. Ladera has been around for awhile and has received a lot of good press. However, it seems like at this point they have put up their feet and no longer pay attention to the details that a resort with an incredibly high price tag should. It seems clear that the problems of the hotel stem directly from an ineffective general manager. If you are looking for an ideal spot for a honeymoon or romantic getaway, the best place in the world that I have found is Rancho Pacifico in Costa Rica. At Rancho Pacifico they truly understand the importance of service and the little details. Additionally, the price tag at Rancho is dramatically lower.

The food at Ladera is mediocre at best and at times was inedible. I found the quality of the food unacceptable considering the extremely high price tag on meals. Appetizers were miniature portions (even for apps) and were over $20+. Entrees were $40+ which is really steep considering the quality of the food. Additionally, it says breakfast is included; however, that is only coffee, juice, and a bowl of cereal. If you want anything else, it is $7 a person plus the 10% service charge on everything you order and 8% local tax. This means that breakfast each morning came out to $20 which is a lot for a "free" breakfast. If you want breakfast (or any food) delivered to your room there is an additional $10 charge which you also get the pleasure of paying the 10% service charge and 8% tax on. The prices of the food wouldn't bother me at all if the food was good. However, unless your idea of good, fresh seafood is eating at Red Lobster, you will be disappointed with the quality and freshness of the seafood. This place seems to be extremely conscious of controlling food costs which has a direct impact on the quality of the dishes they serve. They also seem to be very conscious of their bar costs. We were having a drink at the bar in the afternoon. We watch the bar tender had a server a handle of Absolute Vodka with a funnel. 5 minutes later the server returned with the bottle full of some clear liquor. He gave the bottle and funnel back to the bar tender who put the Absolute back in the fridge. Take from that what you will.

Any of the small annoyances here wouldn't have been a big deal in and of themselves; however, they compounded to the point where they reduce our enjoyment of our time at Ladera. A good example is that it rains every hour to three hours in St. Lucia. Even though there are plenty of people working around the pool bar area during the day with little to do, it isn't anyone's job to bring in the cushions from the chairs at the pool (there are only 6 chairs). This means that the pool chairs are completely soaked any time you go to sit on them. When you are paying $750 a night to stay at a place like this, I think it is fair to expect better service. Also, all wine (red or white) and all cocktails are served in white wine glasses. Seriously?!?

We had a great time in St. Lucia; however, it was more in spite of the resort than because of the resort. There isn't much to do in St. Lucia other than go to other resorts. The beach is lame because of the constant rain and having to deal with shuttles and taxis to get to and from. The town of Soufriere is not a place for tourists to hang out. There seems to be extreme poverty in St. Lucia which means you get swarmed with people constantly. There aren't any bars or restaurants worth visiting because the town is so dodgy.

If you only care about having a really cool room, then Ladera might be the place for you. However, if food and service matter to you, I'd recommend looking else where. We did have an amazing meal at Jade Mt. one night; however, actually staying at Jade Mt. is a very steep price tag. Personally, I'd recommend looking somewhere other than St. Lucia for a romantic getaway unless you love resorts and bouncing around between them as the only activity. Also, be prepared to overpay for everything both at Ladera and anywhere else in the area. As I said, I found Rancho Pacifico in Costa Rica to far exceed anywhere I saw in St. Lucia for a dramatically lower price.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the restaurant because the bands tend to play late. Some of them aren't...
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
18 Thank TheJoshManning
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, 18 January 2014
Dear Josh, while we understand that every traveler is entitled to their opinion based on their travel experiences, it is also important to us to ensure that accurate or factual information is provided to the reading audience. We agree with you that Ladera is exquisite in design and the views from the resort are spectacular. We have been operating as a luxury resort for more than 20 years and continue to offer the same exceptional levels of service and unique experience for our guests. We in fact, close annually to facilitate maintenance and renovation works that will allow our guests to enjoy the distinctive architecture and authentic St. Lucian experience that makes Ladera so unique. It is obvious that individuals who are well traveled and have an appreciation for hand-crafted art will have a clear understanding and the same appreciation for our type of resort.
We however, find it concerning that this review should come from you after you exclaimed throughout your stay that you were having an amazingly great experience. We find it even more concerning that you exacted your threat and wrote a negative review only because you were dissatisfied with the services of a car rental company on the island with whom you chose to transact. You thought it the responsibility of Ladera to adjust the cost of the rental vehicle and wrote these unsavory comments because we did not accept liability. We nevertheless remained empathetic to you inconveniences and offered our assistance in as far as was possible under resort guidelines. We do not expect gratitude but find your two-star rating unfortunate as we refused to pick up your car rental expenses.
Shermael

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (316)
Boulder, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 January 2014

Us: We're two super busy professionals. We actually were hoping the Internet wouldn't work as well as it did, but we still were able to disconnect during our time at Ladera. Incredibly relaxing, beautiful place!

Our trip: We spent 4 days, 3 nights at Ladera in early December 2013. We stayed at Ti Kaye for the 5 days previous and wouldn't necessarily recommend it. . .but that's another review!

Overall notes: Yes, it's expensive. Yes, we thought it was absolutely worth it and was beyond just a hotel--- it was an EXPERIENCE! :) (Sidenote: I believe in paying for experiences, not stuff!)

Service:
Phenomenal. It felt like the staff was incredibly tight-knit and treated us like royalty. My boyfriend had broken his foot at the previous resort (Ti Kaye), and they went as far as to find him crutches, bring him ice, offered to call in the doctor, drove us over to our dinner reservations at Boucan (and other times, to Dasheene for meals). We were really amazed by them.

Room:
I really don't think you can go wrong picking a room here. They all have spectacular views.

Bugs:
My boyfriend tends to be mosquito-prone, so he picked up a few bites. We stayed under the mosquito net at night, used the spray for the room they provided, and kept the lights off at night to keep the bites to a minimum.

Food:
The food at Dasheene was great, don't get me wrong. But I was really craving some variety by the end of the week eating at the same restaurant. I wish there was a less expensive, more casual fare option at Ladera as well. Which brings me to transportation. . .

Transportation:
It's hard to get around and you really have to hire taxis for everything. I definitely wouldn't navigate the island with a rental car by myself (really windy roads, not everything is clearly marked, definitely wouldn't be easy to navigate at night if you don't know the area). That's not anything against Ladera though, just more a point I thought I'd bring up.

Front desk:
The one annoyance we had was that the front desk and restaurant never answered our calls when we tried to order room service or get questions answered. I kinda wonder if our phone wasn't working properly. . .but seriously, I really shouldn't complain about having to walk to get food. We were just feeling lazy and wanted to keep reading our books, staring at a magical view.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong with room selection here. They all have spectacular views, so if you have to...
4 Thank coloradoamanda
Vieux Fort, St. Lucia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 December 2013

When I brought my fiancé to Ladera for lunch, he fell in love with it straight away and asked for a room. we changed our hotel to Ladera and at first, stayed for 3 days. The view is absolutely captivating. one day we saw interlocking rainbows between the Pitons whilst having breakfast. it's something that you might think of seeing only on Photoshop but it was right there in front of us.

upon arriving, the staff greeted us with cool towels and drinks and took care of our car, driving it down to the parking lot. when we mentioned that we thought it needed a wash, someone did that for us as well, free of charge. we happily left a tip for him and was introduced to him later.

we enjoyed the amability and homey feel of Ladera so much during that mini-vacation that we returned again the following weekend and now go there for lunch/dinner by ourselves or if we want to treat our friends. they even know my preferences concerning food and cater to that.

it is indeed like home to us.thank you ladera for providing such a wonderful service.

Room Tip: all rooms are open concept with plunge pool and a fantastic view. it doesn't matter which one yo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Delia H
North Salem, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 December 2013

We stayed in early December for an early winter 3-day break.
Ladera was everything we could have wished for. The staff were helpful and personable without being intrusive. The room was perfect. The open sided arrangement, which seemed a bit unusual in the abstract, was ideal, since the view was terrific, and the natural effect just right.
We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The food and dining were top rate. Our only complaint (very minor) was the difficulty (on such a lush island where every second tree seemed to be laden with tropical fruits) in obtaining fresh fruit at the hotel. A chunked-up fruit salad was offered for breakfast, but we had to make a special request for a simple banana, on an island whose principal export is bananas! But his, obviously was a petty complaint, especially in comparison to all the other superlatives.

2 Thank RNNYNewYork
Salt Lake City, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 December 2013 via mobile

Took a taxi from Soufriere after a morning sail and wow! Blown away! The location and views between the Pitons are just amazing. Good meal and charming staff make this a great stop. And noted for a future stay as the hotel looks very cozy

Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ErnieB_Utah
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 December 2013

I have been all over the world and have stayed in many nice resorts. This is my favorite. When they took us to our room, I was blown away by the open concept (without a 4th wall) and amazing views. I couldnt believe how beautiful the views were. We spent more time in our villa then ever before just enjoying the villa and views. The staff members were very good. Very nice, polite and very helpful. I have never been treated so nice. There are a lot of good/fun activities to participate in too. I don't have any complaints about Ladera. Even the days it rained, we still had a blast. They thought of everything. I felt like a rock star being there. People complained about the cost, but they should know that before going, and then not stress about it. When I look back at my week there I am very happy. Another nice thing about the resort is that they hire local people. If they can't find somone to fit the position, they provide the proper training to the local person. It seems as though the resort really supports the community as well.

Room Tip: I would stay away from the restaurant, only because the band plays a little late and there isnt a 4t...
2 Thank Greg C
Chicagoland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

My family thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Ladera Resort. The views were astonishing, the landscaping is impressive, and the staff was very helpful, kind, and professional. One problem (and advantage) is that the rooms have three sides. The side that looks out over the Pitons is open. This makes the experience special, but it also means that one can hear one's neighbors if they are up late (which happened one night) and one hears tree frogs (a plus, we felt). The rooms might better be described as (very) comfortable rather than elegant. The swimming pool is not large. The restaurant is not outstanding. The hotel is not on the beach (there is a van which makes three trips a day). The hotel is not close to other restaurants (with one exception) and is not close to shopping. However, if you can live with these aspects of this resort, Ladera is very much to be recommended. The views are so remarkable that one feels that one is in the middle of a World Heritage Site (and one is!). Our memories of those volcanic cones will last forever.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with family
7 Thank GAF11
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!