“Vacation of a lifetime”

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
“Vacation of a lifetime”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our honeymoon last May (2013). It truly was an unbelievable experience. This resort is without a doubt the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen. To make this review helpful, I'll list the major pros and cons of our stay at Ladera.
Pros:
The first hand beauty is indescribable. The view is completely breathtaking. The staff was super helpful and informative about everything in the area. Dasheene (the restaurant) had AMAZING food. We had some of the best meals we have ever eaten at that restaurant. The continental breakfast is included in your stay, which is a basket of homemade breads and pastries, yogurts, their homemade granola, and fresh squeezed juice. And yes, all of those are DELICIOUS (esp. the pastries). Ladera has several other restaurants surrounding it within a very close distance, making it a super quick cab ride to get where we wanted to go. The shuttle down to the beach was conveniently timed. We never felt like we were stuck or anything. Ladera also offers a lot of excursions you can do through them, which is convenient, although pretty pricey. I suggest the Piton mountain hike (ONLY if you are reasonably in shape. It is VERY hard but very fun and the view is awesome). We also did horseback riding, a little nerve racking but a super fun experience. Skip the fish fry... we did it, the resort forgot to load the boat with booze (which they made up for the following day by giving everyone a bottle of rum), the boat ride was really fun (although it was choppy as hell!), but the city we went to was totally DEAD. It was supposed to be a party of some kind and local foods were served. We ate some of the local foods and had some cocktails, but there was definitely no party to be had.
Lastly, The nets around the bed REALLY do keep bugs out. And the bed was super comfortable. Literally, nothing more AMAZING than waking up and looking right outside over the Pitons.
Cons:
You have to pay for them to deliver your free breakfast to your room... but if you go pick it up and bring it back to your rooms, it's still free. We were kinda annoyed by that considering the amount you pay to stay at the resort. Also, the restaurant will have the same options on the menu multiple times per week, which was a little disappointing to us. We probably would have eaten there for dinner more often if we could have guaranteed that it would be a different menu. For those of you who have a sensitivity to noise or sharing your room with lizards and frogs, you will not like this place!! I heeded the warnings of other reviewers about the ear plugs... but turns out I LOVED the noises. My husband, on the other hand, not so much. He struggled to sleep at night while I slept like a baby. I highly suggest the ear plugs just in case, but the ones they provide there are decent. Also, it was pretty warm in there at night, even with the fan, so I wonder if asking for an additional fan would've been wise. Oh, the pool in our room never made it in the sun, so it was really too cold for us to use the whole trip, which was kind of a bummer. Lastly, the bar closes down pretty early and there is not much to do in the evenings. We started to feel a little antsy after 4 or 5 days. If we could do it again, we may have split our time between Ladera and Sandals in Castries, just for a little more of an upbeat scene.
Overall, the place is unbelievable. We talk about it non stop and wish every day that we can go back!! I am jealous of whoever is planning their trip there right now!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Arsabados

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (324)
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was the best place I've stayed, beating a honeymoon stay at Sandals, a cozy retreat in Cassis, France, etc. etc. The highlight is the resort's amazing view of the Pitons and sea (with the view and plunge pools being a common feature of all of the 30-something units), but there were so many other treats that I did not anticipate. These included a number of tiny details, like the choice of fresh Rainforest juices at breakfast -- I will fondly remember enjoying delicious grapefruit and mango juices while looking out over the Pitons. (My carton of orange juice back at home this morning was definitely not the same.) The "eco" feel of this resort, the peace and quiet, and the close proximity of the rainforest, Pitons, and sea were right up my husband's and my alley. The missing fourth wall and waking up to cool breezes were more rejuvenating than we could have imagined. Usually when I travel, I like to go somewhere new, but I would return to Ladera and the Soufriere area if I ever had the opportunity. Next time, a full week! (I can dream.)

Room Tip: We were upgraded to Heritage Suite "B". Its location was convenient to the main part of th...
1 Thank Neepavision
Orinda, California
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We spent a week at Ladera for a much needed restful vacation. It was perfect. The room was amazing. We loved the open wall, the decor and, of course, the amazing view. After reading the reviews and noting the ear plugs provided, I had some concerns about being able to sleep. However, we absolutely LOVED sleeping in the open air and slept extremely well every night. This was an amazing stay and we would definitely return. The only negatives were as follows.
1. Each morning when we woke there was lizard or some other type of excrement in the room. This was cleaned away each day.
2. We were quite close to the restaurant/bar and the music could be loud, but the running of the waterfall mostly drowned it out and it ended early.
3. The restaurant is most definitely overpriced. The food is decent, but not outstanding for the prices paid.
4. I definitely returned with insect bites. I did not use any insect repellent because I never noticed getting bit. I would definitely use it if I was to return.
Some additional comments -
1. The concierge staff were amazingly helpful.
2. We did the Gros Piton hike which in my opinion is a must do, but it is quite strenuous.
3. We used the gym on site a couple of times which, although not superb, worked just fine because we never saw anyone else in there.
4. We loved Sugar Beach! Took the shuttle there twice and spent the afternoon at the beach bar/restaurant. We certainly ordered food and drinks both times, but no one seemed to be opposed to us staying there for the entire afternoon occasionally leaving our table to take a dip in the ocean.
5. On our last night we ate dinner across the street at Hotel Chocolat. It was amazing!

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spazgirl
Wilmington, NC
Reviewed 13 May 2014

Ladera is breathtakingly beautiful. My husband and I were in St. Lucia for our 10 year anniversary and stayed at Ladera our last 3 nights. We were unexpectedly upgraded to a Hilltop Suite. Totally exceeded our expectations (which were high for the cost).

Room Tip: Hard to say as we've only stayed here once but we thoroughly enjoyed our Hilltop Suite
1 Thank ltrivett
Cumming, Georgia
Reviewed 11 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our 10 yr Anniversary and enjoyed every minute of it! We both agree it's the most amazing place we have ever been! The staff at Ladera are very friendly and go above and beyond! Special thanks to Shawn & Vianney, they are the "Best" and were always willing to help! We were a little apprehensive about the open wall concept, but once we arrived we knew we had made the right decision. The gentle breezes at night and nature sounds were so soothing, and the open air shower was awesome! We never had any issues with mosquito's or bugs, only the occasional lizard, bird or frog would pop in for a visit. My husband and I also enjoyed a couples massage in our suite which was Wonderful!!! If you are looking for a romantic getaway with views so stunning you never want to leave the room, this is your place!

Room Tip: We stayed in suite B... The pool gets a lot of sun and also has a heater if you need it! It has 3 s...
2 Thank Bashell2
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Ladera for our honeymoon. It is an excellent resort in an idyllic setting. The resort is located on the hills just south of Soufriere, between the two pitons and facing the sea. The views from the common areas as well as the rooms are just fabulous - I haven't seen better in any resort/hotel I had ever stayed at before.

The resort is built in a very green way - with a lot of vegetation in the premises and the hills facing the resort/rooms full of shrub forests all the way down to the sea. There is two great things because of this - 1) you get to see a lot of the local bird life in the premises in the daytime including the hummingbirds & 2) at night the place is a cacophony of magical jungle sounds - almost the perfect melody to fall asleep to. The big downside is if you are not so fond of lizards, you might need to deal with having one or two in the room. Although the hotel management is very helpful and promptly sent someone to remove the offenders from our room.

The rooms are built in a very unique way. There is no air conditioning & one side is open (no walls/windows) and opens straight into the hill & sea. The bathrooms are quite unique as well as they have the exact same design. Showering in the open with the incredible views is quite an experience. The resort is constructed in a wonderful way that despite the open architecture one still gets privacy in each room and can't see / be seen from other rooms.

The hotel staff is very friendly as well and helped us with booking various activities around the area. The only thing I would say is that the taxis at the resort are a touch expensive- but I guess that is quite common in resorts.

The restaurant is worth a mention as well - great food and (once again) views to die for! Try booking a table early so that you can get one right by the railing and enjoy the sunset - it will be one of the best you would have seen !

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Neofelis
Hunt Valley, Maryland
Reviewed 6 May 2014

Ladera is amazing. We stayed 1 week at the Sandals Grande and our second week at Ladera for our honeymoon. I will admit I was concerned initially as my wife is not a camper so thinking about an open wall room was a concern especially on a honeymoon - but this was incredible. We loved falling asleep to the sounds of nature and enjoyed our week at Ladera as the best part of the honeymoon. This is a must visit while in St Lucia - Even if only a couple nights. The staff will know you by name and we ate every meal at Bouchon. The food was incredible, and would change ever other night even though it is the only restaurant.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank price221
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 12 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!