“Great place....”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Just stayed for four nights to celebrate my birthday. Here is my take:

-- The view is absolutely amazing....the pics do not do it justice
-- The 'open wall' worked for me and my girlfriend, but is not for everybody. Expect some insects, frogs and lizards to make guest appearances in your room
-- The service is great.
-- The food/wine is awesome
-- The plunge pool is way too cold. It is nice to have around, but neither of us went all the way in

4  Thank Dave30319

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We just returned from an 8 day vacation in St. Lucia, and we stayed for the first 3 nights at Ladera in a Gros Piton Suite. It was incredible, to say the least. The suite was amazing, with one bedroom and full bath "indoors" to take advantage of the a/c and then a second bedroom, full bath, mini bar area and private pool overlooking the Piton's which was completely open air. The housekeeping services, reception and restaurant staff were all professional and incredibly friendly. Every single staff member there did an incredible job of making our Honeymoon special. We also participated in several of their activities, the Anse Le Raye Fish Fry trip, the Botanical Garden and Volcano tour and went to the beach and did some snorkeling as well. All of the trips were well organized and the tour guides friendly and personable. The food at the Dasheene Restaurant was also amazing!! If you're considering Ladera for your trip, DO IT!! You wont be disappointed!! We also visited the Hotel Boucan across the street to dine in their restaurant and highly recommend that as well. After staying at Ladera, we spent 4 nights in an all-inclusive in Castries and it couldn't even compare. Our only regret was not staying at Ladera for the entire visit. I have to give a big shout out to the porter Shawn, he greeted us at arrival and gave us a tour of our suite and the hotel amenities and made sure we knew he would help in any way during our stay. And when we had requests, he was right on top of accommodating us. To our friends at Ladera, we'd appreciate you recognizing his excellent service. Overall, all staff members were great and helped make this a trip of a lifetime- Until we return, of course!

Room Tip: Put the money into a suite with a private pool... You wont be disappointed!!
4  Thank Kate G
Reviewed 23 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at the Ladera in February for three nights during the first part of our honeymoon. The Ladera was absolutely gorgeous! The pictures don't even do it justice, we were amazed by the views every time! The service was exceptional and the staff really made us feel special.
We did not use the shuttle to the beach, so I can't speak to that. I am the type of person who gets bug bites immediately after stepping outside, so I was a little nervous that I would be covered in bites when I left. I actually did not get any bites while at the Ladera! I did use the bug spray from time to time, but not religiously. When we went to the second resort (which had all four walls), the very first night I ended up covered in bites!
When we arrived, we were greeted with refreshing drinks and shown to our room with flowers waiting for us, a handwritten note from the owner, and given a cell phone in case we needed anything!
There isn't a ton to do at the resort, but that is definitely part of the draw! There are still tons of excursions to choose from if you want. We made our own chocolate bars at the neighboring resort, we went to the sulfur springs with the spa, and we hiked the Piton (I would highlly recommend the chocolate tour and the Piton hike, but the hike is very difficult)! One nice thing is that this resort is on a different side of the island than where a lot of the larger resorts are located- it is closer to the sulfur springs and the pitons. We spent the second half of our honeymoon on the other side of the island and from that resort you couldn't even see the pitons! After staying at the Ladera, the other resort was a huge disappointment. The only thing we would change is to stay at the Ladera for the second part of the honeymoon and maybe for four nights instead of three.
Our stay was unbelievable! The service was amazing! The food was delicious! And the views were BREATHTAKING! We would absolutely go back and hope to very soon! This was the most incredible vacation of our lives!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank user1048
Reviewed 17 May 2014

We stayed at Ladera in December 2011 so this review is a couple years after my visit. I recommend Ladera and St Lucia to anyone seeking a perfect romantic holiday. We were interested in an island getaway for mostly relaxation but also a little adventure. St Lucia was perfect with the opportunity for water/beach activities, good hiking, rainforest exploration, spice/coffee/chocolate tours, and more. Ladera exceeded my expectations. We went for 7 nights - splitting it with 4 nights at Ladera and 3 nights at Cap Maison. We like that we visited another part of the island but would have been more than happy to stay at Ladera for the full week. And, don't forget to try the special drinks (spiced rum, coco tea) and local food - it's all divine.

Room Tip: Stayed in room R. Loved the layout and the view. Bed placement was perfect for sleeping (good breeze...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank SLOTrvlr
Reviewed 16 May 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our honeymoon last May (2013). It truly was an unbelievable experience. This resort is without a doubt the most gorgeous thing I have ever seen. To make this review helpful, I'll list the major pros and cons of our stay at Ladera.
Pros:
The first hand beauty is indescribable. The view is completely breathtaking. The staff was super helpful and informative about everything in the area. Dasheene (the restaurant) had AMAZING food. We had some of the best meals we have ever eaten at that restaurant. The continental breakfast is included in your stay, which is a basket of homemade breads and pastries, yogurts, their homemade granola, and fresh squeezed juice. And yes, all of those are DELICIOUS (esp. the pastries). Ladera has several other restaurants surrounding it within a very close distance, making it a super quick cab ride to get where we wanted to go. The shuttle down to the beach was conveniently timed. We never felt like we were stuck or anything. Ladera also offers a lot of excursions you can do through them, which is convenient, although pretty pricey. I suggest the Piton mountain hike (ONLY if you are reasonably in shape. It is VERY hard but very fun and the view is awesome). We also did horseback riding, a little nerve racking but a super fun experience. Skip the fish fry... we did it, the resort forgot to load the boat with booze (which they made up for the following day by giving everyone a bottle of rum), the boat ride was really fun (although it was choppy as hell!), but the city we went to was totally DEAD. It was supposed to be a party of some kind and local foods were served. We ate some of the local foods and had some cocktails, but there was definitely no party to be had.
Lastly, The nets around the bed REALLY do keep bugs out. And the bed was super comfortable. Literally, nothing more AMAZING than waking up and looking right outside over the Pitons.
Cons:
You have to pay for them to deliver your free breakfast to your room... but if you go pick it up and bring it back to your rooms, it's still free. We were kinda annoyed by that considering the amount you pay to stay at the resort. Also, the restaurant will have the same options on the menu multiple times per week, which was a little disappointing to us. We probably would have eaten there for dinner more often if we could have guaranteed that it would be a different menu. For those of you who have a sensitivity to noise or sharing your room with lizards and frogs, you will not like this place!! I heeded the warnings of other reviewers about the ear plugs... but turns out I LOVED the noises. My husband, on the other hand, not so much. He struggled to sleep at night while I slept like a baby. I highly suggest the ear plugs just in case, but the ones they provide there are decent. Also, it was pretty warm in there at night, even with the fan, so I wonder if asking for an additional fan would've been wise. Oh, the pool in our room never made it in the sun, so it was really too cold for us to use the whole trip, which was kind of a bummer. Lastly, the bar closes down pretty early and there is not much to do in the evenings. We started to feel a little antsy after 4 or 5 days. If we could do it again, we may have split our time between Ladera and Sandals in Castries, just for a little more of an upbeat scene.
Overall, the place is unbelievable. We talk about it non stop and wish every day that we can go back!! I am jealous of whoever is planning their trip there right now!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Arsabados
Reviewed 15 May 2014

This was the best place I've stayed, beating a honeymoon stay at Sandals, a cozy retreat in Cassis, France, etc. etc. The highlight is the resort's amazing view of the Pitons and sea (with the view and plunge pools being a common feature of all of the 30-something units), but there were so many other treats that I did not anticipate. These included a number of tiny details, like the choice of fresh Rainforest juices at breakfast -- I will fondly remember enjoying delicious grapefruit and mango juices while looking out over the Pitons. (My carton of orange juice back at home this morning was definitely not the same.) The "eco" feel of this resort, the peace and quiet, and the close proximity of the rainforest, Pitons, and sea were right up my husband's and my alley. The missing fourth wall and waking up to cool breezes were more rejuvenating than we could have imagined. Usually when I travel, I like to go somewhere new, but I would return to Ladera and the Soufriere area if I ever had the opportunity. Next time, a full week! (I can dream.)

Room Tip: We were upgraded to Heritage Suite "B". Its location was convenient to the main part of th...
1  Thank Neepavision
Reviewed 13 May 2014

We spent a week at Ladera for a much needed restful vacation. It was perfect. The room was amazing. We loved the open wall, the decor and, of course, the amazing view. After reading the reviews and noting the ear plugs provided, I had some concerns about being able to sleep. However, we absolutely LOVED sleeping in the open air and slept extremely well every night. This was an amazing stay and we would definitely return. The only negatives were as follows.
1. Each morning when we woke there was lizard or some other type of excrement in the room. This was cleaned away each day.
2. We were quite close to the restaurant/bar and the music could be loud, but the running of the waterfall mostly drowned it out and it ended early.
3. The restaurant is most definitely overpriced. The food is decent, but not outstanding for the prices paid.
4. I definitely returned with insect bites. I did not use any insect repellent because I never noticed getting bit. I would definitely use it if I was to return.
Some additional comments -
1. The concierge staff were amazingly helpful.
2. We did the Gros Piton hike which in my opinion is a must do, but it is quite strenuous.
3. We used the gym on site a couple of times which, although not superb, worked just fine because we never saw anyone else in there.
4. We loved Sugar Beach! Took the shuttle there twice and spent the afternoon at the beach bar/restaurant. We certainly ordered food and drinks both times, but no one seemed to be opposed to us staying there for the entire afternoon occasionally leaving our table to take a dip in the ocean.
5. On our last night we ate dinner across the street at Hotel Chocolat. It was amazing!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank spazgirl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#7 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!