“The ONLY review on Ladera that you need to read.”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 17 July 2014

My Profile: Male, 40's, business executive, travels 3 times/month, beautiful wife, 2 young kids

Luxury Resort/Hotel Stays: Over twenty (20)

Dates of Stay: July 9-13, 2014

My friends and wife who have traveled with me would likely say that I am high maintenance or demanding with the hotel/dining establishments that I frequent. I would agree as I expect alot especially on vacaton travel. For a luxury/romance experience, Ladera has truly differentiated itself and has a place (as evidenced by true luxury travel authorities such as Conde Nast, Travel & Leisure, Lonely Planet, etc) as one of the world's BEST resorts.

The Property: Perfectly positioned 1000 ft above the sea making the view absolutely spectacular bringing right into the room. Trust me, you will want to spend a fair amount of time enjoying the room with your companion because of the room amenities, view, privacy, and on-demand service.

The Location: 45 min drive from the airport (This is important as the roads are lousy with winding turns. 10 mins from the beach. 10 mins from the volcano, ziplining and the town of Soufriere where you meet the boats for cruising.

The Staff: The staff embraces the concept of "luxury service" by gracefully delivering almost anything you need, when you need it. Kudos to Oliver for running a world-class luxury resort staff. Special thanks to Obadiah, Caroline for arranging our excursions, and the guy who climbed the 50-ft coconut tree to get coconuts for my wife and me.

The Suites: We stayed at a Hilltop suite and I recommend paying a little more to get this slightly larger room and a HUGE HEATED pool. Although it's lovely, there's no need to use the main pool when you have your own with unparalleled PRIVACY. Our itinerary included two days in our room with room service from fabulous Dasheene. We had 4-5 meals there during our stay and Boucon (set on a cocoa plantation) across the street from Ladera was delicious.

The Suite Concept (no 4th wall): I will admit that I was CONCERNED about staying in such an open environment. The room was a little warm only the first night, but the staff added a fan which made sleeping quite cool, even chilly for my wife. Plus being up 1000 ft made for wonderful breezes. Just pop-in the earplugs, have a nightcap and you will have a very pleasant sleeping experience. The king bed is as good as it gets.

The Ease of Scheduling Excursions: The Concierge handled the scheduling of our four excursions. All we had to do was show-up and I found in most cases that it was the same or even less than scheduling directly with the tour companies. (I highly recommend the sunset cruise and the water taxi to Castries market. A phenomenal shopping experience)

Negative reviewers: I specifically want to call out the negative reviews by "scirrek" (Brooklyn), "sunsandsail84" (Toronto), and "Asa 1." I find it hard to believe and in some cases difficult to substantiate their claims of poor service, bugs in room, pool lacking chairs, etc. It's really nitpicking and almost incredulous when considering the uncommon requests I made of the staff which they accommodated with grace.

OVERALL:
Would I stay at Ladera again? 100% yes and would stay for more than a week.
Did I feel that I received good value in exchange for what I paid? Absolutely. It's not inexpensive, but no luxury resort should be. You can even use $US for everything.

BOTTOM LINE: If you enjoy luxury travel, and do not stay at Ladera, then you are missing out!

Room Tip: Get the Hilltop suite X-5 or X-6, but all are great!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
16  Thank gogreco
There are newer reviews for Ladera Resort

Reviewed 15 July 2014

I have never left a review before but my husband and I visited the Ladera website to show our friends where we were, and they said since we were full of praise that we should leave a review, so this is it. We stayed at Ladera Resort for 4 nights whilst visiting St Lucia and I must say "What an amazing experience..." Upon arrival the staff were very friendly and welcoming, our butler Schol, took us around the resort doing an introduction and informing us of what facilities were available. I have to add that his attitude towards his job was very positive. Our room was fantastic... the view of the Pitons from the room was absolutely breath-taking to say the least. What a stunning feature for those who have never experienced a room with 3 walls ...you have no idea of what you are missing. To wake up every morning with a magnificent view of St Lucia's famous Pitons not to mention the breeze was "Phenomenal". The restaurant and bar staff were exceptional, I'd never seen a bunch of people so keen to please it was nice to feel important. The quality and presentation of food at Dasheene was simply wonderful. I would say 10 out of 10.
We think people who complain about their room on Trip Advisor must be staying in the old rooms that are cheaper. We say this because we met another couple and visited each other's rooms. They had an amazing view but the room was much smaller, their furnishing and bathroom wasn't as nice as ours. Our room was new and beautiful! It was great meeting Olivier the manager who was checking on the guests at breakfast. It is obvious everyone cares. They made us feel that If we needed anything all we'd have to do was ask!

For those seeking luxury with a touch of adventure, Ladera is the place!!!

Room Tip: Room Tip: Be careful what type of room you book at Ladera.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Shana B
Reviewed 10 July 2014

I tried to avoid writing any public reviews of this hotel, but after having a pretty terrible experience and my boyfriend writing his concerns directly to the hotel and never hearing back from them it prompted me to write this. Apparently they only like to respond to Tripadvisor reviews!

If you are easy to please and the little things don't bother you, then go ahead and read the great reviews about Ladera. This ISN'T one of them. If you're like us, and the little things do matter, then you should pay attention to this review if you're thinking about staying here.

The one thing I will say is that this hotel, had VERY nice employees working there, which is why I was so surprised that we never heard back about our complaints. Unfortunately though, customer service isn't everything - so while we can't wait to go back to St. Lucia, we will most definitely not be going back to Ladera.

We arrived at Ladera for a week after reading TONS of reviews on here with all these people recommending it and thinking it was so fantastic. Honestly, when we got there, we were pleasantly surprised about how big our room was (ended up having 3 bedrooms), and how we had the most amazing view looking out onto the Pitons. It looked like complete paradise. Probably because we spent most of the days down by the beach and not at our hotel b/c the pool was too small. The blinders quickly came off once we hit our 3rd day there. We kept waking up in the morning and seeing that there were small pellets of what looked like some sort of feces all over our things and the floor. The 3rd night, one of us happened to look up on the ceiling and see a ton of lizards just camping out upside down. Apparently, they come out at night, and although they don't bother you, they crap all over your things! Not only do the lizards come out at night, but so do the BATS. The first couple of nights we just saw them flying by which didn't bother us.....until one of the bats got caught in our room and couldn't find its way out. NOT OK! So we had to scurry into the netted bed and hear it flying over our heads back and forth for most of the night. Needless to say, the rest of our nights we were there we did not sleep well, and were scared of a bat flying into our face if we were outside of the bed. We tried to keep the lights on until we went to bed just to try and keep them away, but it was very unnerving nonetheless. If the hotel had some sort of a net wall at the very least that you could choose to put up at night, then it would have been more comforting and we would've dealt with all the lizards on the ceiling....but they don't.

Besides our creature scares at night, the pool in the room was pretty filthy and cold, so we couldn't even use it. And because the floors are so lacquered and everything is wood, it was hard to tell the first couple of nights, but they don't really do a fantastic job of cleaning the place and all the lizard feces as much as they should. The food at the restaurant is decent, but not the best, and the bar/restaurant area closes on the early side so there's not much to do at night except hang out in your room or of course, go to sleep.

The couple of redeeming qualities the resort had was definitely the view, as well as its access to Sugar Beach. Although we had to pay $50 to use the Viceroy's lounge chairs every day, at least we got to enjoy the Viceroy's resort and their beach, as well as their food (which was better than Ladera's food). If we go back, this is where we'll stay (especially since it has 4 walls for the rooms).

I recommend St. Lucia 100% - the island is gorgeous and everyone there is so nice. I just don't recommend staying here unless of course you love to camp and don't mind bats & lizards everywhere at night. I do recommend though, going here eat least once for dinner during sunset since I do believe it has the best view.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
9  Thank scirrek
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Thank you for your review and highly recommending St. Lucia as a destination. We are glad that you were able to enjoy the views at Ladera and the complimentary shuttle service we offer to the beach. However we are truly sorry that you were unable to enjoy your overall stay with us. We have taken note of your concerns as we aim to continuously improve our product. Thank you for praising the wonderful service of our staff. We are sad that we did not receive your letter expressing your concerns, otherwise we would have responded promptly. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly via email at shermael@ladera.com and I will make sure to follow up with you right away. Once again, my sincere apologies for the inconvenience.
Regards,
Shermael

Reviewed 9 July 2014

I can not see how anyone could say anything but amazing comments about this resort. I guess you can't please everyone but I can say that they must be very fussy. The rooms are the most romantic bungalows that you can ever imagine. Picture a private swimming pool overlooking the Pitons and sipping wine in your open air living room. Nestled in a rain forest you can enjoy the nighttime rainstorms snuggled into your netted cocoon of a bed. We chose to leave it all open, with the option of closing the room off, so as to enjoy the rain and sounds of the birds. The service is unparalleled! From the very helpful activities staff that is there for your any adventure that you can imagine, to the room attendants that had a bottle of champagne and chocolate strawberries waiting for our arrival. The restaurant is one of the most highly ranked on the entire island and for good reason. The menu left me with so many choices that I had to return five of our seven nights just to satisfy my cravings. We are not wealthy by a long shot but it was our honeymoon and I would rather have quality than quantity. This is something that we will never forget! Worth every penny and then some.

Room Tip: All of the rooms have amazing views. You can't go wrong with any of them.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Brandon B
Reviewed 9 July 2014

I was about to write the best review I could about Ladera resort when I read a so-called "candid" review on Ladera and I really wondered if this was the same one in St Lucia that I had just spent the most romantic time of my life. For a "five-star "person" complaining about taxi fares which are not Ladera taxis but the island's going rate seems grossly unfair — and the beach chairs don't belong to Ladera either. When you book an open-wall concept surely you'd expect some form of insect, you are in the tropics! But it's no where near the exaggerated review. Surely there wouldn't be so many great reviews if the experience was so bad?

My new wife and I were greeted with smiles and out of this world service from the time we arrived to the time we left. Not only did staff know our names but we got to know their names too. Keisha, Lee, Jennifer, Caroline, to name a few, and the General Manager Oliver who checked on us several times during our stay and assisted with the pool situation.
The meals at Dasheene restaurant were amazing and "authentic." We tried a different meal each day. Everything was so romantic and carefree...we spent most of the time in our room! We did venture out to the beach a couple of times but preferred our room and the live entertainment at the bar which serves delicious cocktails and St Lucian finger-foods.

Saint Lucia is a beautiful island. We were captivated by its charm, it's people and our hotel.
This is my first review as we wanted other couples to know what it was like and my wife and I simply had to share our experience and we were prompted more by what we thought was an extremely unfair review. By the way, we did experience issues with the pool which was resolved, but overall the resort is very well managed with a staff who obviously enjoy working there. And this makes all the difference when holidaying. We really didn't expect a resort to be ran so well in the Caribbean. Thank you Ladera for such wonderful memories!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for Paradise Ridge. Loved the butler service!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Applesmiles2014
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

I have been derelict in not writing a review sooner. The staff, the restaurant, the hotel and, of course, the ambiance greatly exceeded our expectations. We regret that we had reservations on the beach at another resort after only 4 days at Ladera. We were so impressed that we suggested our son and his new bride honeymoon at Ladera. They were impressed.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank 81,818,181,818,181
Reviewed 5 July 2014

This is a 4.5 rating rounded down to a four. The view, the facilities and grounds would have seen me rate this place a five in a heartbeat, and I won't repeat other reviews in re-stating how amazing all that is. It is a really special location. It was also an amazing place for wildlife (see bottom of this review). However, this hotel certainly wasn't perfect. The negative things we experienced were relatively small in the scheme of things, but to simply rave about the good things (very easy to do) would not be fully representative of our experience. Things that weren't so great were:

- The quality of food in the Dasheene restaurant was hit and miss. One night I had a dish that was without doubt one of the best things I have ever eaten: huge, succulent scallops and prawns prepared thermidor style. It was absolutely exquisite. I was thrilled when it was on the menu the following day as I'd enjoyed it so much, and I never normally order the same thing twice. I so wish I hadn't ordered it again. The second night it was dry, overcooked and really quite unappetising. It is impossible to overstate my disappointment. This set a theme. Some meals were fantastic. Others were decidedly lacking - perhaps they were left sitting for too long?

- The service in the restaurant was very patchy. There seemed to be a different member of staff to seat you, bring you drinks, take your order and serve it. This meant that no one person was responsible for ensuring you had been attended to, and twice we were left for 20-30 minutes unattended. It felt disorganised. Better, surely, to have staff dedicated to certain tables. The staff were lovely, but it just felt slap-dash, particularly in the evenings.

- Most of the time, it seemed that hotel guests were given the better tables closer to the view, which was a nice touch. There was a mobile in your room for you to call and make a reservation each day so they knew how many good tables to hold for guests. However, twice we dutifully rang and booked and yet when we arrived at the restaurant, there was no record of our booking. Again, this felt disorganised. On one occasion, as an entire floor of the restaurant was closed off for a private event, we were lucky to be seated at all.

- On two occasions I found a key to our room left in the door by the cleaning staff - on the outside of the door so someone else could have come in. I questioned this and no-one seemed very worried about it. The plunge pool guy may have left in the door for the cleaning ladies or vice versa. I suspect that the crime rate is low, but on one occasion we came back to the room and the keys stayed in the lock for over an hour before I started to walk to reception with them. Again, this gave a feeling of staff not being 'on it' and made us more wary about locking things away.

- A complementary bottle of cava was awaiting us on our arrival and all the other welcome arrangements were very nice. We had just started to relax into the fact that our beautiful room was actually ours (it takes your breath away) when the lady showing us round handed over some forms for us to sign. Within a few minutes of being in our room we had to sign a legal document excusing the hotel from any financial liability in the case of accident (as I recall, even if the hotel was at fault.) I guess it's because the room is open and there's a drop, but it's fair to say this rather sobered us up from our heady good mood! Could be part of booking rather than arrivals? Reading a wordy legal document while the lady looked on did not feel very nice.

A real plus point for me was the wildlife. The hotel had lots of feeders around that were smothered in birds including bananaquits, hummingbirds and lesser Antillean bullfinches. Beautiful. It's good if you're a wildlife fan as there is no escaping it. Birds, bugs and bats fly round inside the room (I loved it) and there were fabulous big moths at night (Noctuid Black Witch moths are a good few inches across). I also loved the huge striped Fangipani Hawkmoth caterpillars in a tree by the bird feeding garden. The noises from the forest below the rooms at night were like an orchestra. In this respect, and with those amazing views, I wanted never to leave.

All said, I would return, but it seems a shame to have things like the five points outlined above take the gloss off what would otherwise have been one of the top three hotels I had ever stayed in.

Room Tip: We stayed in room J.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Jo M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!