“Spectacular views and excellent food”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed in Paradise Ridge and loved every minute of our time at Ladera. We had a good breeze the days we were there so the bugs were few, and the breeze helped with the heat. Floating in the pool, reading a book, and admiring the view was a perfect way to spend the afternoon. The staff are top notch and regularly went out of their way to try to exceed expectations. They gave us very late check out and even moved us to a different room for our departure morning so we would have a private pool to enjoy. We did the peak to beach package which included meals and drinks. I liked that the whole menu was open to the package (no supplements like there are at Cap Maison). There are a dozen wines by the glass and several were exceptionally good. The seafood eggs benedict was outstanding - big chunks of lobster, conch and shrimp.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to have knock out views - but paradise ridge was fantastic.
3  Thank poolpond

Reviewed 31 July 2014 via mobile

The Laderra is unbelievable ..... There are only 3 walls and the fresh feeling of he rain forest in your room is amazing ...... We were on honeymoon and couldn't wish got anything else . We had 2 floors and our own plunge pool .... There is a free shuttle to sugar beach which is fabulous to have a drink and watch the world go by .....

• Stayed: May 2014
Reviewed 28 July 2014

My newly wedded wife and visited Ladera as one of our two resort destinations for our honeymoon. Overall, this place is amazingly beautiful, with great views of the island, especially from your room which has the open 4th wall. The food was also excellent and spa very relaxing. The negative? The heat and the bugs!

The higher end rooms I am told have bedrooms all enclosed with AC units, so if you can spring the money for that, do it. If you get another room, bring or ask for a fan to help. Our trip was in July, and while there was a breeze, it wasn't enough at night. Also, because the night starts early there (I assume b/c of the time zone it is in) you find your self getting ready in the dark, b/c as soon as you put a light on, the bugs come in full force! We learned the first night by accidentally leaving our bathroom light on before going to dinner!

Ultimately, for a few night's stay, it isn't too bad. Just be prepared!

Room Tip: higher-end rooms have enclosed bedrooms with window unit AC's and are much more comfortable at n...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank alarose20 .
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Our stay at Ladera was magical from the second we arrived. This resort is truly a gem. From the people (especially Keisher & Scool), to the rooms and the food, everything was spectacular. We stayed in the Paradise Ridge section, more expensive but totally worth it. You have your own heated plunge pool, which was refreshing; a frig stocked with soda, water and beer; chilled champagne waiting for us in our room when we arrived; free breakfast with this room; a butler to help you with whatever you may need; and a view to die for! Not having the 4th wall not only gave you a gorgeous view, but the between the sound of our pool waterfall and the tree frogs and crickets at night, my husband and I slept like babies, the sounds lulled you to sleep! We never had a problem with any bugs like some other reviewers. This is definitely the place to go if you just want to relax and spend quality time with your significant other. We have NOTHING negative to say about this resort whatsoever! And will definitely come back and stay again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nickmel
Reviewed 22 July 2014

This place is AMAZING!!!!!!!!! From the moment we walked into the door we were treated like royalty. When we first arrived to our room I was blown away at how breathtaking the view was. We had an unobstructed view of both of the twin pitons and our own private small pool. Pictures just do not do this place justice.

As far as the 3 walls and the bugs that people are complaining about on these reviews....I am one person that absolutely hates bugs...I mean I am scared of a small spider. The bugs were not bad at all and did not bother me at all nor did I hardly even see any. We had a small tree frog come into the room but once you are in the bed that is covered by the heavy net, nothing gets on you at all. The temperature in the room was always perfect because of being so high up there was always a nice breeze coming into the room. There was not a moment when I was too hot or too cold.

The resort staff made it very easy to book excursions and sight-seeing trip. I recommend booking your excursions when you get to Ladera. They have shuttles that pick you right up at the resort and drop you right off. You also can charge all your activities to the room and just pay for it at the end of your stay. They also lend you a cell phone to use since they do not have landlines in the rooms. You can take the phone with you when you go off the resort and they will call you a cab if you need one. This was really convenient for my husband and I because we ventured off the resort several times.

The Dasheen restaurant was really good. My favorite meal during my entire stay was the tuna steak sandwich and the jerk fish wrap...it was delicious. I would say it does get pretty pricey if you eat there several times a day and the portions can be small depending on what you get.

Last the every single one of the hotel staff members treated us with the best customer service we have ever had. They knew us by first and last name and was always friendly when we had questions or needed anything. When it was time for us to leave I honestly felt like I was leaving my family.

All in all this place is heaven on earth. The sounds of nature at night did not bother me at all. It was the best sleep I had ever had in my life. The views of this place are like no other views on the island of St. Lucia. If you do not stay here you are missing the entire experience of visiting St. Lucia. We actually only stayed here 3 nights and at Sandals La Toc 5 nights and we regret it the moment we left. We will be back to visit Ladera.

3  Thank Shawnita M
Reviewed 22 July 2014

My husband and I kicked off our honeymoon with two nights at Ladera. It was worth every penny we spent there. Breakfast and dinner were excellent everyday. Our view and our room was impressive. We arrived to find a bottle of champagne chilling, and a fridge stocked with Piton. He service and the attention we received were out of this world.

I am totally not the outdoorsy camping type at all and still enjoyed the three walls experience. There was always a surprisingly nice breeze blowing into our room and there was a ceiling fan above the bed so we slept comfortably. They offer you ear plugs to sleep with but we didn't use them. My husband and I loved seeing the lizards running around and we even had a little frog that would come hang out with us at night. The staff here does an excellent job at controlling the bugs. My husband and I did not receive a single bite! That is saying something because we were eaten alive once we went to Sandals on the other part of the island.

As we were planning your honeymoon, my husband and I thought this would be a once in a lifetime trip. After experiencing Ladera, we are already planning our next trip to return to St. Lucia because once in a lifetime is just not enough at a resort like this!

Room Tip: We absolutely loved having a swing over our plunge pool. We realized not all of the rooms had swings...
5  Thank Kristin P
Reviewed 21 July 2014

My wife and I recently returned from our honeymoon in St Lucia, which included a 5-night stay at the Ladera resort. All I can say is that this place is relaxation paradise, which offers a view that few hotels in the world can match. I will admit that I was a bit worried if the hotel would live up to its hype after reading so many positive reviews about it, but right from the start we were delighted with everything that we were given or seen.

To begin with, the manager had kindly upgraded to us a 3-bedroom suite, which boasted an inside and outside plunge pool, complete with a deck and loungers facing out on to the pitons. The room was spotless and well stocked and the bed was large and comfortable.

The food was excellent and well presented and the staff were very friendly and attentive. Live entertainment was also provided in the bar area almost every night.

The hundreds of other reviews will state just how great the hotel is and what they provide, but I wanted to point out a couple of things you should consider before booking. First of all, the rooms have 3 walls and this has been pointed out time and time again. Second of all, you're at the edge of a rainforest, on the top of a hill on a tropical island. With this in mind, you will get all sorts of creatures visiting your room from time to time. I've noticed some people complaining about this but what on earth did they expect?!!! During our trip we had lizards, bats and a couple of locusts enter the room, which did leave behind a couple of presents, but this is to be expected and the rooms are cleaned during the day. The beds have netting attached so you don't have to worry about any of them landing on your face during the night. And to be honest, I didn't think there were that many bugs in the scheme of things. If these same people find the amount of bugs in St Lucia hard to cope with, then I pray they don't go to some parts of Africa. At least I recognized the ones in St Lucia!

So please bear this in mind before booking. If you really really don't like bugs or lizards, then maybe Ladera isn't for you. However, with that said, I'm not a fan of bugs (I have a phobia of moths of all things), and I managed to not only cope but really enjoy myself. So if I can do it, I'm sure most people can.

Another thing to point out is that there is no air conditioning, since the room only has 3 walls. For that reason, it can get quite warm, and some people may find it difficult to sleep in the heat.

I just thought I'd mention that because it really irritates me when people complain about something that they were forewarned about. If it's not for you, don't give the hotel a bad rating because there's a bat in your room at night (which wouldn't touch you anyway) or if it's too warm - it's not the hotel's fault - they warned you about it.

6  Thank RickNI
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!