“STAYCATIONERS BEWARE!!!! WE NEED CHANGE AT LADERA!!!”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is yet another place that fails on the stay cationer experience. I am reviewing this from a staycationers view not as a tourist. If you are a tourist this place will probably be paradise for you. Stay cationers receive a major discount because they are of local origin and are supposed to get the same perks and treatments as full paying customers.In my opinion they should get an even better experience but that is just not so except at Bay Gardens Beach resort. If I hear one more time that this is not part of your package from a resort associate I will scream!!!! We arrived to the Fantasy Island treatment at Ladera with cold towels and punch. Their punch was the first we encountered at any of the resorts we stayed at without any alcohol. It all goes downhill from here! This resort is truly in my opinion for the upper class only.... not locals who spend their hard earned EC dollar money only to be gouged with ridiculous food prices charged to them in US dollars and a room that looks nothing like what we saw and thought that we would receive on the website. The rate for a US dollar converts to 2.67 EC dollars at the moment so you will see that my review is a warning for all locals and a challenge to management to change this for the future.The receptionist even had the audacity to tell me that we had an upgrade from the class of room we were supposed to stay in...sheesh. In the last week my wife and I had visited Ti- Kaye (very good but not perfect either), Bay Gardens Beach resort (awesome) and we felt that we were going to strike a home run coming to Ladera (major fail due to the price for what you receive). On the website it looks like Ladera could be a cheaper version of Jade mountain for a local to stay at. The good thing is the views are amazing as advertised. The bad starts with the person that takes you to your room. My wife kept on correcting her on things we had in our package.She quickly remedied the situation and had Shawn who was amazing, stock our refrigerator with the necessary beverages. The free bottle of Brut Champagne was a cute perk although not for my taste. She also did not know that staycationers get full breakfast not just continental during their stay. I do not think anyone that is employed at Ladera knows this policy as they made me sign a bill for our breakfast in the restaurant and even at checkout they again tried to bill me yet again for this. Let me discuss the room we stayed in which was room K. This is a split level room with a plunge pool which truly needs to be heated. The pool is just for relaxing no room to swim here as in the photo on the site that I liked.The room was well kept, neat and clean but I immediately noticed I heard another couple nearby. I started wondering, if this is supposed to be a romantic resort why am I hearing my neighbors like I live in an urban housing complex Ti Kaye is better as you get your own private cabin. It gets worse later in the review. So we left our room and went to the front desk because we had to leave a credit card on file for incidentals and our 6:30pm reservation for dinner at Dasheens restaurant was confirmed. I asked if we could be moved to a better room more like what I saw with the swing overlooking a rather large pool and the Pitons. This was definitely not what we had in our package or room. She told us they were fully booked and could only show us two other rooms in our class. In our class what does that mean?? We looked at the other rooms and although they were bigger they were still not looking like the room we saw on the website that made us want to visit Ladera. I wanted that room that they show on the website splash page. We chose to stay in our room K because it was split level which meant two amazing views but she promised us if something opened up they would move us to the room I really wanted. I also encountered this at Ti Kaye as it seems these upper class themed resorts sort out the locals as a different class than there full price paying tourists and you feel this vibe during your entire stay no matter how hard they try to make you happy. I felt this less at Ti- Kaye except for the lady that checked us in. My Ti-Kaye review is forthcoming back to Ladera resort.The restaurant view at Dasheens is even more amazing than your room. We arrived early to take pictures of the awesome view and to make sure that we received a great view for dinner. The staff at Dasheens are kind and courteous and they even sat us in an amazing seating area right next to the Pitons. Ladera truly needs to offer staycationers a 40% discount on all meals and drinks as our meal for two turned into a $165US affair. We only budgeted $100US for this meal. It started with the server asking us if we wanted bottled or fizzy water. I assumed this was free and asked for bottled. He brought us out a bottle of royal blue water that sells for $2.29 EC dollars anywhere in town. When I saw my bill they charged me $8US for this alone. I later found out they have regular water they could have served us for free too. Why he did not offer that option to us is something that needs to be adjusted and corrected management. We did meet the co-owner of Ladera at dinner and she was polite and even said that we staycationers are supposed to get the V.I.P. treatment. I had an earful for her on that subject but that moment was not the time. I ordered surf and Turf for $48 or $49 US and my wife ordered cocoa Lamb for $43. The lamb was the better choice although both meals were too small of portions. When we arrived at the restaurant I saw a gentlemen get a burger and fries that was huge. It was made with 3 big angus beef patties and was only $17 with a nice size basket of fries. I asked the sever would the dinner portions be like this. She replied they would be a little bit smaller but good portions. That turned out to be an understatement when I received my meal I told the server chef Nigel needs to stop playing around with these portions!!! I should have ordered the burger meal a much better and cheaper option. I received 3 medium size shrimp, a small piece of filet Mignon that was not memorable and a small potato pie. Ti Kayes Filet Mignon is too die for..... it was utterly amazing!!!! although expensive too but I still remember how good it was. We ordered two lava cake desserts with ice cream. My only complaint here is that the ice cream portion was actually a 1/4 of a scoop. and each lava cake was overpriced again at $10US each. We also ordered two drinks rum punch and a fruity concoction that were $10US each too. I also ordered the fish cake appetizer that was too small too for $14US. In hindsight, I should have taken pics of my food to show what we received. After we went back to our room. It was quiet for about 5 minutes when to our amazement we heard a lady calling reception. She was terrified as there was a cat in her room and she asked for them to send someone there to assist her. She was so loud and screaming that she sent the cat across our balcony before they arrived. She was hysterical and overboard. Although they magically managed to find her a much better room to move her to for her troubles. We heard it all her screaming antics the men searching for the cat that we knew had left because it ran across our balcony too. The guy promising her a much better room although they said they were totally booked and could not accommodate my wish for an upgrade. I was done after that and retreated to my bedroom which because we left the light on in the bathroom was overrun with all sorts of flying things. I turned off all the lights for awhile and this remedied the situation. After our neighbor who through (our open air we could hear everything situation) packed all her things they escorted her to a better paradise. Our evening turned into the night that it was supposed to be peaceful cool and quiet after that. The morning and breakfast was much better food portions were good and we had an amazing view yet again. We met the co-owner again at checkout where she apologized for being so fully booked and again I was incorrectly billed for a free breakfast and then charged $2 for a mystery vacation fund. The breakfast bill was removed but the pain and anguish is not. In my opinion, if they could have moved our hysterical cat screaming neighbor on up like the Jefferson's to a better room they could have damn sure accommodated my wife and I. I saved my hard earned money to make this a memorable experience for her birthday which unfortunately it was not. Ladera will probably be amazing for most people as my pictures below do reveal an amazing place. After going to Ti-Kaye, Bay Gardens resorts and then Ladera in a week span this is my opinion. If we could have been housed in the suite as in the website splash page I believe my review would have been more favorable.
STAYCATIONERS PROCEED WITH CAUTION UNTIL THINGS CHANGE FOR THE BETTER FOR US AT LADERA August 11,2014

5  Thank DRossstays2
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 17 August 2014

Thank you for your review. We offer a courtesy rate to residents of St. Lucia as do most resorts on the island and despite our high occupancy this summer. Ladera is a small, very eco-friendly resort that offers a unique and authentic experience to its clients. No two suites are the same and depending on the category booked the size of the room and pool will vary. Nevertheless, all of our guests, nationals and non-nationals receive the same levels of exceptional customer service. At our Dasheene Restaurant, our prices are in line with other properties that are part of our luxury travel network including Jade Mountain and Sugar Beach. The prices will be higher for higher priced items on the menu. However, we also offer a three course dinner menu at USD 55.00 as part of the local Summerlicious program this summer, available seven days a week.
Regards, Shermael

Write a ReviewReviews (1,303)

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Went to Darsheen restaurant while visiting the sulphur springs and Morne Coubaril Estate. This is possibly the best location for a restaurant ever! The view is so immense you can barely believe your eyes as you gaze through the two pitons down into the blue sea. Not to say this restaurant is just a picture opportunity, the food was excellent with plenty of choice, suited our children's tastes as well as our own and was very reasonably priced.
A fantastic memory and well worth a visit. Thanks

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank tirello444
Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I visited St Lucia to celebrate our 15 year wedding Anniversary we spent 4 nights at the resort. The views are breathtaking and the staff was very friendly ,we did have some issues with our suite but the staff were helpful and even offered to upgrade our suite.
The Restaurant at the resort is nice but the food was not worth the prices they charge. As the resort is secluded your choices for dinning out are limited. There is next to no nightlife around the resort . Taxis are expensive and there really is not a lot to do after sundown. We had a great vacation but felt the island itself is very expensive and not value for your money . The local people are very friendly and warm , if we were to visit St Lucia again we would probably stay somewhere that has more nightlife and that's all inclusive

• Stayed: July 2014
5  Thank Torrescano
Reviewed 7 August 2014

We did a TON of online research before choosing Ladera for our St Lucia resort. There is a lot of hype and marketing on the internet about the options in southern St Lucia. It can be difficult to know what is real and what is advertising. We couldn't be happier with our choice. During our vacation, we visited all of the other competing resorts and there simply is no comparison to what we had with Ladera. By far, this is the premier "view" on the island. There are other beautiful views of the Pitons out there, but none of those experiences enter your living quarters like they do here. You are right there, in nature, dominated by the ever-changing Pitons. The view was our favorite part of the entire trip. Every morning we watched rainbows pop out of the rainforest. At night, the moonlight lit the mountainsides. Truly, there was something new to see all through the day and you can't get that unless you stay close by. It was an amazing experience.
Ladera staff were all amazing. They got to know us personally and went out of their way to make sure we had everything we needed. The rooms were island-boutique, with authentic details. Plus, you are seriously close to all of the best activities on St Lucia. The prettiest beach is just down the hillside.
Thank you Ladera. We plan on returning in the future.

Room Tip: You can't go wrong.
2  Thank Christopher T
Reviewed 7 August 2014

This resort is truly one of a kind! My wife and I dreamed of traveling here for our honeymoon and 7 and a half years later, finally made it! Holly Scott, the owner, greeted us with Ladera Punch and a chilled towel after our arrival from Hewanorra Airport. She said we were staying in her favorite room, Hilltop Dream Suite X1, and from the moment we walked in the door, we could see why. The view of the Pitons and the swing over our heated pool was breathtaking. The front door and window in the bathroom had shutters that would open and let the trade winds in to cool the room. I never thought sleeping "outside" could be so luxurious.

We purchased the all-inclusive plan and so we never tried any of the other restaurants in the area (though we would have liked to try Chocolat across the main road...chocolate in every dish!). We thought we might not enjoy eating at the same restaurant for every meal but we were blown away by the cuisine Nigel, the executive chef, provided. He changed up the menu with different specials and different fish depending on what was fresh that day! If anything has breadfruit, you must eat it!! The all-inclusive includes all tax and service charges but we would give a bit extra from time to time since the servers were amazing! They would warmly greet us by name and started remembering what kind of water we liked and types of wine we enjoyed and they always tried their best giving us the best seats they could.

We were able to talk with Holly on occasion and once while we were enjoying some snacks and drinks in the lounge, I sneezed and she jumped up from a meeting and asked if I was sick. I told her I was probably fine but she insisted that her staff make me some ginger root tea which took 30 minutes to brew. I'm not sure if I was getting sick, but that was certainly the last time I sneezed. Another time she was telling me how great the local rum was and gave me a glass for free so I could tell her if I liked it or not.

We went with one excursion planned because we didn't know what to expect but ended up planning 3 more as well as some spa treatments. Gabby was so delightful to spend time with in the spa and the excursions were awesome. We did not climb the Gros Piton due to time but we did the Soufriere Experience given by Michael our taxi driver, got in the sulfur bath and covered ourselves in mud, tried the Hotwire Zipline tour, tried Snuba (my absolute favorite) and took advantage of the free shuttle to spend time down at Sugar Beach.

St Lucia certainly blew us away and we cannot wait to go back as soon as we possibly can!!!

Room Tip: Try to get a room with a heated pool. We heard from people we met that their pools were too cold to...
3  Thank Jojoma283
Reviewed 4 August 2014

We visited Ladera in June 2014. The staff is AMAZING. They leave no detail unattended. Anything you want or need, they will happily help you. The restaurant is wonderful and the lava cake is a must. The resort is remote and very quite (except for the evening when the frogs and crickets start chirping). We did not have a problem with bugs. If you are looking for a lot of togetherness, then this is the resort for you. If you are looking for nightlife and socializing, then this may not be your place as the bar and music shut down at 9:30. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Go to Sugar Beach and do the Gros Piton hike.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank riley127
Reviewed 31 July 2014

We stayed in Paradise Ridge and loved every minute of our time at Ladera. We had a good breeze the days we were there so the bugs were few, and the breeze helped with the heat. Floating in the pool, reading a book, and admiring the view was a perfect way to spend the afternoon. The staff are top notch and regularly went out of their way to try to exceed expectations. They gave us very late check out and even moved us to a different room for our departure morning so we would have a private pool to enjoy. We did the peak to beach package which included meals and drinks. I liked that the whole menu was open to the package (no supplements like there are at Cap Maison). There are a dozen wines by the glass and several were exceptionally good. The seafood eggs benedict was outstanding - big chunks of lobster, conch and shrimp.

Room Tip: All of the rooms seem to have knock out views - but paradise ridge was fantastic.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank poolpond
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
1 mi away
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!