“Breathtakingly beautiful”

Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
London
“Breathtakingly beautiful”
Reviewed 29 August 2014

I booked an 11 day break to St. Lucia with my daughter and parents. As it had been their anniversary I booked us all into the Ladera for one night as a surprise. They were blown away. The rooms are stunning and we felt so close to the Pitons it was if you could have reached out and touched them. Were we greeted with complimentary bottle of champagne and the staff couldn't be anymore helpful. We ate at the Dasheene restaurant and again food and service were superb. Sleeping almost alfresco took some getting use to but after one night I truly didn't want to leave. I definitely be back sooner rather than later.

Room Tip: Definitely pick a room with a plunge pool. not sure all rooms have them but worth the extra expense...
2 Thank sistrint

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
Reviewed 25 August 2014

relax overlooking the Pitons and sea and shoo away the birds with water pistols - yes you have read water pistols. Excellent food but beware the portion control - there is none! If you are not staying here take taxi trip to it and enjoy the ride there and back (about 1 hour from Castries)

Room Tip: All over look the stunning scenery
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
4 Thank Andrew M
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 20 August 2014

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our honeymoon and I cannot say enough lovely things about Ladera hotel and their staff and management. I was immediately blown away upon arrival once we were greeted with a nice drink and cool mint towel as a refresher! We were then shown to our breathtaking love nest! It was not just a room, it was spacious and more than I could have ever dreamed! The view was better than any pictures I had seen prior to us arriving. I was worried about not having any AC but with the flow of air that comes through it is nice and cool! I actually got chilly a few times. I also didn't have any bug issues as I was scared of prior to coming, the only time I was a "meal" for the mosquito's was around dusk by the pool only one night. The sunsets in our plunge pool were my favorite part of every night. So romantic and unlike any sunset back home. Dinner was amazing every night and the live music was lovely! Did I mention the couple's massage?!?!?! It was outstanding as well! I find myself always trying to find something as lovely as Ladera when traveling now. They have set the bar high! I look forward to returning there and highly recommend staying there.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank tabba86
London
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Visited the hotel for lunch, though were not staying. We have been many times before and were not disappointed. We got a warm welcome from the staff and had a very tasty lunch while admiring the view. During our stay on the island we also went for a couple of sunset cocktails and games of scrabble in the bar. Again a great experience and we would really recommend a visit. Warning though there is now a cover charge for non-guests which is a bit off putting, why not just put the price up a bit and make people feel welcomed?

1 Thank RealWomen
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 15 August 2014

My wife and I spent time at 3 resorts over our 8 day stay in St. Lucia; Ladera was the 'cherry' on top of our trip. It most certainly has the best view we found in St. Lucia (I'm sure Jade Mountain could beat it, but they are 3x the cost). The open-walled rooms overlooking the Pitons and ocean were majestic. We literally walked into our room and said, "Wow!", followed by just soaking up the surroundings for about 20 minutes.

The Manager had a welcome reception which was very nice. He is very friendly and personable. Neat touch.

Now the rub. We were told by our agent before our trip we would need $100-150 US per person per day for meals at Ladera. For us as middle-class honeymooners, this was spending two-thirds of our entire on-island budget just at Ladera for food ($1200). We naively thought, "No problem, we're adventurous," and just go out to the city and other places. Problem. When up at Ladera, it is an area with expensive resorts. All of the restaurants nearby charge close to the same (except the Morne Coubaril Estate lunch we had for $8- amazing!). We enjoyed the food at Dasheene, but even ordering water, we could not escape eating for less than $80 an evening. We got creative and went into Soufriere by walking 30 minutes- which was fun! However, we got many mixed messages on walking, taxis, restaurants, etc. We also figured we could get a taxi into Soufriere easily and even to do the Friday night Fish Fry. They were going to charge us $150 US for this taxi. We started to feel overwhelmed with the prices and stuck. However, we did get creative.

One note on service: because we had a more affordable room, they provide very little with it. We had great coffee there, and they provided water, but though the in-room book said we were supposed to get free sodas (and friends who went a couple years before got complimentary breakfast), we inquired. Not at our room level. This seemed a little cheap that they wouldn't even provide a Coke with the room.

The reason I said average service is that when my wife and I tried to get creative with not spending lots of money, we found the staff very difficult to work with and confusing. We received mixed messages and poor initiative to help whenever it was not something "out of the can" such as their own adventures they sell. We ended up walking to Morne Coubaril for zip lining and the plantation tour. Ladera had marked up the cost of this an additional $20 US just to schedule through them. We were able to do a tour for $30 total including lunch, whereas their tour with a different estate would have been around $200.

So here's the deal: we could have really enjoyed Ladera to the max if we were flushed with cash. We are not. We might find this more enjoyable in the future, but we felt very price-gouged. It was a breathtaking view and the most incredible room I've ever stayed in. Next time around, we would spend 3 days up-front to relax, and then go on to Sandals to get all the food and activities we can stand for a set price.

Room Tip: Spend money here. I think this is the only way you can enjoy Ladera. If you don't have money t...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
12 Thank JustEmHug
Shermael C, Guest Relations Manager at Ladera Resort, responded to this review, 17 August 2014
It is a misconception that Ladera is less expensive than other resorts in our category in St Lucia. Consistently rated as one of the top experiential properties in the world, we continue to offer the same high level of service and standards, providing the best available products in the market. The cost associated to it is consistent with our competitive set in the Caribbean and other luxury resort destinations.Thank you for providing feedback.
Shermael
Reviewed 14 August 2014 via mobile

The room and view are amazing, no doubt about that. The nightly live music is also very nice.

Everything else on the other hand is completely overpriced garbage. In particular the food, which is portrayed as gourmet, is nothing more than cheap ingredients thrown together in an upscale setting, tagged with michelin restaurant prices.

If Ladera wasn't at the price point it is, I wouldn't say anything. But when you're charging upwards of $45 for an entrée, there are certain expectations that come along with that. When ownership is too cheap and consistently cuts corners to maximize profits, reviews like these from discerning guests are a result.

Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
10 Thank Matt P
We acknowledge that you posted your first review on trip advisor. Please be reassured that our pricing is compatible with other luxury 5 Star properties on the island, as we continue to offer a unique upscale experience. The room rate and meal plan you purchased, reflect what is included or not as any other hotel. At Dasheene, we participate in the local Summerlicious program that offers a greater value to restaurant guests on a budget during the summer season. Please note that we offer a three course menu at a cost of USD 55.00 per person++.
Regards, Shermael
Reviewed 14 August 2014

I was excited for this trip to St.Lucia mainly because I wanted to experience what Ladera had to offer with their 3 wall concept. The ambiance and tranquility was above and beyond my expectations. If you are seeking peace and romance this is the place for you. I couldn't get enough of this resort. For my personal review,thoughts, and photos check out my blog at The-Rolemodel.com I provided a very detailed review. hope you find it helpful.
A special thank you to Holly for my making my stay memorable and special.Also, Thank you to the Ladera Family who were also kind and helpful.

Room Tip: Every room is unique some bigger than others but rest assured that you will still have a beautiful r...
1 Thank Rolemodelish
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Stonefield Estate Resort
Stonefield Estate Resort
#3 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!