“One of a kind luxury treehouse feel. Wonderful for a few days. Don't miss it.”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
New York, NY
“One of a kind luxury treehouse feel. Wonderful for a few days. Don't miss it.”
Reviewed 3 May 2009

My husband and I just got back from our St. Lucia 10 day honeymoon. We stayed in the Rodney Bay area for a week (loved the Landings!) and Ladera for 2 nights at the end. Ladera is so different and I'm so glad we got to experience it. The reception staff is very welcoming. We paid for a petit piton suite and were upgraded to a 2 BR suite (which actually had 3 bedrooms). It had an amazing treehouse feel and we felt like excited kids even though we're in our 30's. Its very expensive. $725/night with tax but worth it for a few nights. That price included an EXCELLENT huge breakfast made to order as well. So good--locally grown veggies in my omelette, warm breads with banana preserves, and banana wheat pancakes were mouthwatering. I understand that some people may think it doesn't have a 5 star feel b/c its so treehouse/cabin-like, but you have to expect something a little different here. You really are in nature and I think they've kept the rooms in sync with that which I love. The way they keep nature and 5-star in the same sentence here is by giving you a great 4-poster bed and luxurious sheets, and a comfy white couch and a french press for your coffee, a heated pool with a fountain, all the organic bath products including lip balm you could ever want. They even give you a cell phone to call for room service or for any other needs. And the outdoor shower that overlooks the pitons--wow. The reception staff is extremely accommodating and when you walk on the grounds everyone sincerely asks how you are.

Our room was 2.5 floors, and had a decent size pool which was pretty warm and we enjoyed it a lot as we looked at the incredible Piton mountains and drank a Piton beer. The bed was VERY comfortable and the bugs weren't a problem but I did OFF spray my body 2x a day since I'd been bitten a lot earlier in the trip. The kitchenette area is helpful and the bar stocked with water and soda daily (complimentary) was nice. We loved the welcome baskets with slippers, star charts, masks, bug spray and other helpful stuff. The robes (which you don't get to keep) were so soft and cozy I meant to buy one.

The property is gorgeous. We hiked the trail there and it was about 45 minutes of fairly strenuous walking hanging onto trees so we didn't fall. Really fun. We also did the Tet Paul hike which was a waste of time and money--really awkward guide--don't do it. The food at Dasheene was amazing. We really enjoyed the fish entrees, steak, conch fritters and lava cake. We did not go all-inclusive and thought the prices were very reasonable but we live in Manhattan so we are unfortunately used to paying a lot for meals. $130 US inc. tip for 2 fantastic entrees (entrees include sides), 2 very full glasses of wine, an appetizer and dessert. Some of the wait staff was great but a few waitresses were a little short with us we thought. One night a great band played in the bar area as well and we really enjoyed that too. Didn't hang out at the pool since we had our own and we were only there for 2 nights but it seemed fairly quiet. Even the books of activities, info and tours are written for you in a lovely personal way.

They could make the hotel more Ritz-like, but it would lose the charm and the friendliness and certainly the natural feel that is captured everywhere you go.

All that said, since we had 10 days to spend in St.Lucia I really enjoyed the North as well. The restaurants at Rodney Bay were great. From the Landings we could get in a cab and be somewhere in 10 minutes and the beach there was fantastic and you can sail, snorkel and kayak free as well as grocery shop since your suite has a full kitchen. I think a few nights at Ladera (3-4 maybe) and a few nights in the north works well if you are the type that likes to relax but also can't sit still too long and needs a change of scenery. I'd recommend it to anyone and I definitely can't wait to go back. I'm really sad the trip is over :(

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank perrystreet

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (330)
Pittsburgh
Reviewed 16 April 2009

I just got back from 5 days at Ladera. I would recommend this resort to anyone who is looking for something different.

What sets this resort apart from virtually all others is the missing fourth wall in your room, that is replaced by a constant spectacular view. When it rains, it rains in about 10 feet of your room - right where the balcony is and your plunge pool. Birds fly in in your room while you are sitting and eating or simply relaxing. There are a lot of wonderful sounds throughout the days and nights (not counting the annoying tree frog). This is one of the few places where you are happy to hang out in your room. The view from your room is repeated at the restaurant, the bar, and the pool area. You can eat, drink, swim, or lay out with a truly captivating view. If none of this interests you, then I would say this is not the place for you because there are some negatives that must come along with these positives.

Since you are up in the mountains, there is no beach. They remedy this by shuttling you to one of two beaches. Unfortunately, the shuttle times are not fantastic. 9:30 / ll:45 / 2:25 / 3:30 for one beach (with each time also being the times you have to take the shuttle back to the resort, e.g. 3:30 is when you leave the beach or find your own way back). The other beach has similar times (10:00, 12:30, 2 something & 4:45). I may be slightly off on the times, bu they are close.

Anse Chastanet does not want you at their beach. They cannot prevent you from going b/c St. Lucia has all public beaches, but they will not permit you to lay on their chairs or use their umbrellas. I did not see any waitress coming around to serve us on the beach at Anse Chastanet, so we sat close to the bar and simply opened up a tab. Ladera's water taxi brings you plastic chairs to sit in, but they aren't close to lounge chairs and umbrellas or tiki huts.

Jalouise was a nice beach and they rent you chairs (you can get vouchers from Ladera). they have a system where you stick a flag by the chairs into the ground and a waitress comes over immediately to offer food and drinks. This is without question the
beach you want to go to. Though as nice as the Jalouise was, there is still something less than great about being a freeloader at someone else's resort - though they certainly didn't make you feel that way.

The lunch food at Jalouise and Anse Chastanet was good. The food at Ladera is great.

The spa at ladera has open ceilings so you kind of feel like there isn't a whole lot of privacy between rooms. I also got stood up for my massage, though the gave me my girlfriend's massage free because of it. You can have a massage in your room, and I would certainly recommend paying the little extra for that.

The exercise room is a joke, so don't bother unless you want to use the 1986 nautilus machine and the stationary bike facing the undergrowth behind the resort. Though, it is vacation, so I didn't mind skipping my workouts.

They have wireless interenet only in the lobby and with no TV you have little contact with the outside world (which was a nice change).

It rained almost every day, but it is a quick rain and basically a mist most of the time. It is the rainforest, so I wasn't surprised with the rain, and I got enough sun to make it no big deal.

Overall, this is a great resort for something different. I'm glad I was there for 5 days instead of my normal 9 day vacation as the daily beach trek and one bar, one restaurant would've gotten old after more than a long weekend, in my opinion. I'm certainly glad I went there because it WAS so different, but I've stayed at nicer resorts overall. Certainly, if you want to see tropical St. Lucia, you should stay at Ladera.

p.s. Travel & Leisure said to book the Gros Piton suite for the best views, so I did. The missing fourth wall provided just a spectacular view of the mountains and the ocean.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank LawOnTravel
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 15 April 2009

My husband and I went to St Lucia for part of our honeymoon in November 2007 (I know, very delayed report) and we stayed at Ladera. For us coming from Australia, it was a LONG trip to get there, over 24 hours in transit, but definitely worth it! When we arrived we were greeted at reception with a beautiful drink, and then escorted to our room. We had booked a Petit Piton suite, and were assigned Suite M. When we walked up into our room, our jaws just dropped! We arrived as the sun was setting so we had the most amazing view to greet us! Just incredible. The room had everything we loved the fact that there was no tv, so it forced us to sit back and relax. The supply of a deck of cards was great, and kept me amused for quite some time.
As many have mentioned, if you are after all the mod cons that the big hotel chains have to offer then this is definitely not for you. But if you are into an eco experience, that is soo relaxing, and just brings you back to the simple things in life, whilst being pampered, then this is for you.
Yes, some might think it does look a bit old, however from past experience, eco friendly places tend to be like this, and generally they arent old, but tend to look this way as they use the natural products from the area to build the rooms, so there is no fancy plastering or marble to cover this.
We loved the fact that the room was open at night, we just made sure we had the mosquito net down and fully covering the bed, and then we were fine. You did get the odd bug sneaking through, but nothing to really complain about. The frogs are a bit noisey, but we didnt think they were that bad, we had a great sleep every night, so they didnt bother us. If you are a very light sleeper, then this may be a bit annoying, but nothing a pair of ear plugs wouldnt fix.
The only things we could possibly say as negative, were that we did run out of hot water one day, but this was soon rectified by the staff as the pilot light had gone out on the water heater. The massages were not the best, actually quite ordinary, but let this pass.
The restaurant is beautiful, has a great range of food, however found after a few meals that we were over the jerk flavour that lots of the food had, and would have liked something a bit different. But then again, you are in St Lucia, and would expect them to serve local styles of food rather than all American / Australian type foods. After all you dont go to St Lucia to eat a nice big cheeseburger do you.
We did a couple day trips, one to the waterfall (forget the name) to the volcano and then also the botanic gardens, which was a great day out. Another day down to the beach which made for a great afternoon of soaking up the sun on the sunlounges and eating, drinking and swimming.
Overall we had an amazing experience at Ladera. We were there for 4 nights and possibly could have stayed a 5th, would have then done some more sight seeing, but that would have been enough for us.
One tip, is to make sure that you do not leave any food lying around the room, as we had a very sneaky bird come in the room, opened up a starbust lolly and started eating that, and nudged the cover off of the sugar and proceeded to spread this around everywhere! Quite funny actually!
I would definitely recommend Ladera to everyone that wants to stay somewhere unique, with one of the best views in the World, and to simply relax with nature.

• Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adelmelb
New Jersey
Reviewed 3 April 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our 7 night honeymoon. It was our first trip to St Lucia and we flew into Hewanorra airport. When we arrived at the airport we were met immediately with a Ladera Desk and a man awaiting our arrival. He escorted us to a private taxi for our ride to Ladera. The cab driver was very nice to drive slow since I read all about getting car sick. The roads are extremely curvy and you are constantly driving up and down a mountain so if you get slightly car sick tape Dramamine. With that being said, the ride from Hewanorra to Ladera is much easier to tolerate than riding the rest of the island.

We arrived at Ladera about 40 minutes later and were escorted to the open air lobby where we were given a rum punch Chef Orlando created to help rejuvenate travelers. Free Internet access is available at a computer in the reception area and wifi is available at the Bar.The reception area also has portable DVD players and movies for free. They also give you snorkeling equipment for free. You also receive a firefly which is a small phone which allows you to call the front desk and room service. We never had any issues with the phone and could not hear anyone else's conversations as another reviewer wrote.

We were escorted to our Dream Suite X2. We had requested a room close to the restaurant since I read reviews about needing to walk down to order room service. We never had to walk down to order room service because our firefly phone worked great.

However, the property is set on top of a mountain. It is steep and there are many steps of varying shapes and sizes. I loved Ladera, however I would not recommend this facility for a handicapped person. I recommend if you have bad knees or are extremely out of shape ask for a room close to restaurant. Our room X2 was less than 10 steps to the restaurant and had a great view plus we got to smell the food cooking which was incredible.

On to our spectacular room....The rooms are exactly as they appear in the pictures. The view from our room at Ladera was better than any other view we saw on the entire island (and we drove around for 2 days!). The rooms were extremely clean. Each room has a living room area and either a second lounge area or a dining room area depending on the room. The bed is set very high in the air but a step stool is hidden under the bed. The bathroom was very large and had a walk in shower big enough for 6. It does take 3-4 minutes for the shower water to heat up because Ladera uses mainly solar heat. Also the water pressure is not as strong because the island uses a gravity based system to deliver water. However, I would not state these negatives to the resort these issues are normal in the Carribean. The bathroom also does not have full walls to the bedroom (they are exposed about 12 feet in the air.) My husband thought this might lead to a privacy issue in the bathroom but we never had any issues.

Overall our accommodations were incredible. I thought the missing 4th wall would scare me since I am a city girl and have never even gone camping but it was a wonderful experience. I am not going to lie, we did have a few "creatures" in our room over the 7 nights. However, I was never scared. On two occasions we had a tree frog about the size of a quarter near our pool, each morning the local bird (st Lucian oriole) would perch in our room looking for leftovers from breakfast. The room includes a water gun to scare them off....just pick it up and they leave. At night we did have moths who were attracted to the lights, however we learned to keep the lights on near the pool versus inside the room and we were fine.

The room has a cathedral ceiling about 20 feet high. In addition to having no 4th wall at least one of the side walls is partially exposed close to the top. So although things may fly in they are so high and fly in and out in one sweep that after a day you forget they are there. Do not be afraid to go to this resort based on reviews about bats and bugs. I am a bug freak and had no issues.

Our pool was much larger than a plunge pool and did have a waterfall that heats the pool. We even had the waterfall off a couple of days and the pool was plenty warm. The resort does provide 2 lounge floats which is great. The only thing I thought the room was missing was a poolside lounge chair to sun in.....guess what? We called the lobby on our firefly and they brought us one for the rest of our stay! No request is too big or too small for the staff here.

The noise......I like to fall asleep to some sort of sound, however I did hear other guests say the tree frogs kept them up. I did not find the tree frogs loud, you can also keep your pool waterfall on to drown out the frogs. However, I will say this....If you are the type of person who needs complete silence and complete dark to sleep this is not the place for you....Other reviewers have claimed Ladera to be a 5 star tree house and they are right. You are at all times exposed to nature which means it gets dark when the sun goes down and you wake up with the birds....literally. I normally would sleep in till at least 9am on a vacation but my new husband and I found ourselves up by 8am everyday because the sunlight was up and the birds were chirping outside. We got up earlier and went to bed earlier than normal but loved every bit of it.

Beach: You can take a 10 minute shuttle down the mountain to Jalousie Plantation that allows you to use beach chairs, towels and bathroom facilities. You can also eat at the poolside restaurant and order drinks from a waiter on the beach. The water was a rich green however 2 out of 7 days there were some jelly fish which the staff told us in common on the island.

We did not go to Anse Chastenet which is about a 15 minute ride plus ferry boat because other travelers told us the beach had no view and the black lava sand gets too hot to walk on. Plus they do not give you a beach towel or chair. Ladera will give you them on the shuttle but you must carry them on the ferry and to the beach.

If you are trying to decide between Ladera/ Jalousie Plantation and Anse Chastenet I will say this. Ladera you get the best view and private pool on top of incredible cuisine. You can get to the beach and enjoy another resort at the same time. Jalousie Plantation is very large and hotel guests need to walk to a shuttle pick up to go almost anywhere on the resort including meals and the beach. We also met guests from Anse Chastenet who told us from their room to the beach was over 150 steps. Don't let the shuttle to the beach be your deciding factor.

Dasheene...I ready everything from the restaurant being indian to continental online....Not true....Dasheene is named after a local plant which you can actually eat and tastes similiar to a potato. I am NOT a daring eater. However, everything at Dasheene was so incredible that I found myself trying things I never would had and enjoyed them! Dasheene's Executive Chef Orlando Satchell tries to use local cuisine and flavors. However, he does everything mild so that even someone who doesnt eat spicy or exotic food can enjoy it. Never in the world would I eat curry but here I ate and loved the curry chicken. The menu reads like something foreign....dasheene...callaloo....soursap....christophene....it turns out they are just the local names for vegetables similiar to potatoes, spinach and squash. We were nervous about only one restaurant....It turns out that at breakfast you can pretty much order anything you would get at home omelets, pancakes, french toast, cereal, etc. plus everyone gets a fresh fruit plate and a basket of freshly baked rolls, muffins and pastries.

Lunch you can eat from Dasheene's lunch menu which includes USA favorites like chicken caesar salad and burgers (which are great) There are also daily specials. You can also order from the Bar menu which includes spicy banana goujons (aka chicken fingers). Dasheene has a seperate dinner menu with daily specials. Check out the Rasta Pasta...which is equivalent to a mix and match pasta...you choose a sauce, a meat and a pasta....The vegetable cream sauce is as great as anything I have eaten in Italy! Needless to say we left home worried that we would get tired of the same restaurant and found ourselves waiting each night for housekeeping to drop off the next days specials because everything was out of this world.... Chef Orlando is wonderful. We got to talk with him each day and my husband even went on a market tour with him and learned about and tasted the local fruits/ vegetables. After the tour Chef Orlando gives a cooking class back at Dasheene where you learn to cook the items you just bought. It was wonderful and the Chef truly shares the love with his food. You can check Chef Orlando out at www.sharethelovechef.com

Overall Ladera: Spa is small but air conditioned and offers the usual services. You can also get services in your room. They offer just about every tour you can imagine. The location is actually close to all the attractions on the island: petons, volcano, sulphur springs, rainforest so it's a great jumping point for those looking to be active. The staff including Kevin, the manager are wonderful. Ask and you shall receive.

Meal packages: breakfast is included in your room. A Lunch/ Dinner Plan and all inclusive plan are available. If you like to drink or plan just to mainly stay at the resort get the all inclusive plan which includes all meals, drinks, room service and gratuities. The food on the island is expensive as are drinks. On average our lunches cost about $70 and dinners $150 with the all inclusive plan at the end of the week all we owed was $40 for things we bought in the giftshop.

St Lucia....I found the island to be less developed than other Carribean islands. I am a shopper and barely spent $200 on souvenirs. We travelled from Soufriere to Castries (3 hours by car) and didn't feel comfortable stopping in any of the small towns without a guide. We walked the "malls" where the cruise ships dock in Castries and found most of the shops to be empty. Do not go to St Lucia expecting to buy jewels like in St Thomas or local crafts like in San Juan. If you want to go zip lining, snorkeling, hiking or just sit by a pool and do nothing go to St Lucia. If you are looking to buy get your duty free shopping in for the year this is not the place.

Final Thoughts: Ladera is an experience not just a resort. If you are looking to get away and rejuvenate without needing the hustle and bustle of a big resort with ten restaurants and a night club this is the place. Being at Ladera is a vacation for the mind body and spirit....you leave wondering how lucky you were to ever have found such and incredible place....and wonder how soon you can come back.......

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank mail4meg
Colorado
Reviewed 23 March 2009

We went to St. Lucia for the first time on our honeymoon. We had heard great things so were excited to give it a try. The island is beautiful and the St. Lucian people our friendly and open. Our TA set us up in two different resorts, the first of those being Ladera. At first, the three wall room sort of freaked me out. A new place without secure walls?? Plus, I am not into camping so was afraid it would be a little to outdoor-sy for my liking. But, I could not have been more wrong! I will never forget the feeling of walking into our room for the first time and seeing the view from our living room. Breath-taking, amazing, insane. I just kept thinking, I can’t believe I get to stay in this room!

Before this, we were greeted at the front desk. With our nutmeg drink in hand, we signed in and were given a quick tour and run down on the resort as well as our room. I can't say enough about the Ladera staff. They were helpful, friendly and so accommodating. They have a board with all the tours you can take and were happy to answer any questions we had. They have a great shuttle to take you to a few different beaches and supply snorkel gear. The grounds are so much fun, lots of stone work and tile mosaics.

Dasheen was great! Every meal was more amazing then the next. This food is no joke…not your typical resort style fare. The chef came out to greet people every night, just showing how accommodating the entire staff really is. (one night it got chilly and the staff went around and put wraps on all the ladies!) They truly want your stay to be top notch and you to feel like you are VIP! They had entertainment most nights in the bar. The view you have while eating breakfast is wonderful, as well as the view from the infinity pool. Ladera is nestled in between the two petitions.

We also loved how romantic and quiet the resort was. You woke up to the sounds of birds and went to sleep with the (crickets?) chirping. The pool in our room had a waterfall that also made for a great background noise. It was great to sit in the pool or lounge on the desk and just take in the view. Of course, with only three walls, you can except a visitor or two. Mainly, birds using your railing as a perk, but it all just really made the Ladera experience.

We tried to switch our reservation so we could stay at Ladera the entire trip, but we could not. We were sad but moving to a different resort made us realize how wonderful Ladera really was. It was nice to have something to compare it too! After our second resort, we missed the staff’s kindness, the food, the views and the welcoming feeling Ladera gives. The rooms and the views will bring you to Ladera, but the staff will make you feel at home. Ladera is not just a place to sleep, it is a destination in itself. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tothebeach108
Sonoma, California
Reviewed 16 March 2009

Stayed at Ladera in Hillside Suite, and then stayed at Anse Chastanet nearby. Have only been to a couple Caribbean islands, so hard to compare it very well with other options, but otherwise very well traveled, so that being said, here is my review.
In a nutshell, the views are fabulous. The food is good. We were quite surprised at the "third world" quality of the hotel for these prices, though in my experiences the Caribbean is just always higher than one would expect, and this hotel is rather remote compared to most hotels in St Lucia up in Rodney Bay area etc, where food prices seem substantially lower (and perhaps rooms). Very very friendly staff. Guests must travel to beaches, but as long as you have a nice private pool, you won't bother much.
Something about the Pitons is very compelling. If your room has a pool, you will most likely hang out in your room just looking at them and the ocean and relaxing. We were surprised that the in room pool was heated, but found it about perfect to just hang out in, as they provided pool floats and with the winds and sprinkles, the warm water was just right. I sat in the swinging chairs, feet in the pool, able to stay in the shade as there is a retractable awning. He could float all day, designed so that it was almost impossible for others to see into your room or pool. Pitons and down the cliff off the edge of your private (small) pool the beach of Jalousie Plantation/Hotel. Jalouse is under much needed renovation, will someday be very nice. Ladera guests are shuttled free of charge to the beach can use the beach chairs at Jalousie without charge, but they are also a bit tired, but will no doubt be upgraded soon. I think Ladera guests may have to pay for chairs at Anse Chastanet beach, but the shuttle is free. The latter is the better beach, and snorkeling better also.
I say the hotel is a bit third world for the prices, such as cracked/patched/funky concrete paths, exposed rebar left sticking out of the walls, etc. Clean enough, though nothing here except the views are "5 Star". The "spa" is an old funky building, only did one massage, was acceptable. The black water springs were a rather funky set up of old kettles. Water was too hot to use and we did not have the recommended "old" suits to use, as they warn the water may stain your suits. It was chilly at night, so take light sweaters and jeans (or long pants) for dinners. No need to take fancy clothes, there were some people really dressed up but I think they must have felt out of place, many wore jeans or shorts or casual sundresses. No high heels or the cracked concrete might be difficult to maneuver. WIFI available in the bar, and guests may use computer at reception, though usually busy when I noticed. No tvs or ipod docks or anything like that, just remote relaxation...little walkie talkie type things to contact the desk. Work out room is really just a couple machines in a small room under reception, nothing very appealing. All this said, I enjoyed Ladera, more so than Anse Chastanet, though the beach being close at Anse Chastanet was nice. Rooms at Ladera MUCH better than Anse Chastanet, though prices higher to reflect that. Jade Mountain is MUCH MUCH nicer, but the prices reflect that, too! (Though the pools at Jade are not heated, so apparently are not as often used.) Not sure if this all helps, but it reflects my nice relaxing experience, but I would not return unless perhaps I was in the area. On St Lucia I think it is a good choice if you want remote.

• Stayed March 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank TamaraK
Surrey
Reviewed 11 March 2009

When my husband told me to pull off the road onto a blank parking area with a manned barrier, i think even he began to wonder if this was the place he'd planned for our lunch.
It turned out to be one of those special times which is still vivid in my memory.
After a short stroll from the car, there around the corner appeared Ladera luxury resort, snuggled between the Pitons, which arent even visible from the road. By the time i sat down at our table i was stunned into silence by the breathtaking views, stretching right down to Jalousie Plantation and the glimmering sea, it felt like a living film set. Then as if on cue, grey clouds loomed and the view disappeared in the mists as we had an amazing downpour, with water pouring off the roof inches from our table, yet we never felt a splash.
The food was lovely local fish and i could not believe how cheap it was, though to be honest i would have been happy with beans on toast just to have been there.
You have to visit this place!!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!