“"Do go for drinks looking..... West"”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Pennsylvania
“"Do go for drinks looking..... West"”
Reviewed 1 March 2006

If you're in the area be sure to stop by for dinner and/or a libation to watch the sunset. Awesome views near the bar and for dinner....just look at the pictures.

Whew...

Thanks again to the "Gecko hunter" who amazed my daughter with his quick fingers!

Do take in the beach at Jalousie Plantation. There may be better beaches...not a better location.

And the Mango Tree restaurant at Stonefield. The best food we had on the island and a great view as well.

Enjoy.

2 Thank pgmb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 February 2006

I stayed at the Ladera in suite A1 for 7 wonderful days in February. I often travel alone but was somewhat nervous about staying at a resort that attracts mainly couples, many of which are honeymooners. I wanted to try something different so after looking at the beautiful photos and reading the reviews I decided to go for it, I’m so glad I did.

The taxi ride from the airport was beautiful and took less than 40 minutes. Yes, the roads are narrow and winding and steep, but I had a very courteous and safe driver. In fact, all of the taxi and shuttle drivers I used during my stay were very courteous, I never felt nervous about being driven around these steep, winding roads.

The views of course are breathtaking. You see the photos online but they cannot do justice to the feeling you get when first you arrive at your suite and look out over that majestic vista. Many visitors to the island who are staying at other resorts are often brought to the Ladera by their taxi drivers just to glimpse this fabulous view and to take in a meal at Dashneene.

A couple of reviews mentioned the furnishings becoming out dated or shabby, I did not find this to be the case. I stayed in two different rooms, suite S and suite A1. Both were in excellent condition and had all the amenities I could possible need. I arrived on Saturday afternoon and started out in suite S which is a 1 bedroom with a beautiful plunge pool. Yes, the pool is not big enough to swim around in but it is a plunge pool, not a swimming pool. The size was ample for two persons. The furnishings were lovely and although the bedroom area was not huge it was certainly large enough for two people to move around in comfortably. And with the amazing open wall area, which was really like a very large balcony with a spectacular view, the room felt very spacious indeed. I loved suite S but it is towards the far end of the resort so I asked if I could get a room a little closer to the pool and restaurant area. The resort was full when I arrived but on Sunday morning after some of the guests checked out I was given the choice of two other suites, A1 or A2. Both were large, two story suites with two bathrooms and two bedrooms and rather large plunge pools. I chose suite A1 due to the fact that it has two entrances, one main entrance and the other a door that leads directly to the main pool area! The only thing I would change about suite A1 is the closet situation. It has just one small closet on the upper level, so if two couples share this suite the closet would need to be shared as well. Amenities in the room include; binoculars, slippers, bathrobes, playing cards, hair dryer, shampoo, moisturizer, earplugs, water gun, shot-sized bottle of rum, and fully stocked mini-fridge. Some reviewers have mentioned the lack of hot water in the showers; again this was not my experience. I never had to wait more than one or two minutes for very hot water. The water pressure was not what I am used to but it was adequate. Some of the reviews here also mention the sounds of the frogs or birds being disturbing, I could not disagree more! I only heard an occasional frog and yes I heard birds, but never to a degree that would keep me awake. In fact they were melodious. Most nights it rained after 10 or 11pm and that was a wonderfully soothing sound with which to fall asleep. Guests who stay at the Ladera know there is no fourth wall; of course you will here the sounds of nature. Do not stay here if you need absolute silence in order to fall asleep. On the other hand, if you enjoy the soothing sounds of birds singing and gentle rain falling you will sleep like a baby.

My nervousness about being a solo traveler at the Ladera was soon dissuaded. While being surrounded by couples I never once felt out of place. This was due mainly to the professional, yet friendly staff. I was provided excellent service and was treated with warmth and affection. The bartender Peter (pronounced Pita!) became a quick friend, he went out of his way to be sure I was enjoying my stay and did not want for anything. Jennifer, also on the bar staff, and Melissa, the hostess, were wonderful as well and I felt genuine affection from them both. (One evening when I was seated at a rather dark table, Melissa went in search of a lamp to place on my table so that I could read.) This was typical of the entire staff that went out of their way to be sure I was comfortable. Many of the guests were also very friendly and sociable. Overall the atmosphere in the common areas was conducive to camaraderie and relaxed socializing, yet there were many quiet corners for couples to just enjoy the company of one another.

The restaurant, Dasheene, was also incredible. The food was excellent. As Chef Orlando says, “People come for the food and the view is free”. I took advantage of the all-inclusive plan, which was well worth the money. At each meal I was able to choose an appetizer, an entrée and a dessert. Nothing on the menu was off limits with the all-inclusive plan, though the lobster did have an additional charge of $30, but it was well worth it. The portions are generous so I only tried dessert one evening. (The Ladera Coco is fabulous!) I enjoyed every meal at Dasheene’s and with the specials changing daily I never felt the need to go to another restaurant for a change of pace. Chef Orlando Satchell personally greeted each guest and made it a point to be sure you felt welcomed and that you received excellent service. I did receive excellent service from the entire restaurant staff. After realizing that I was dining alone each evening, Alan, the food and beverage manager, even offered to take over the hostess duties for Melissa one evening so that she could have dinner with me. This is just an example of how every staff member went above and beyond to make my stay a happy and enjoyable one.

A note on the all-inclusive plan: Included in the plan are alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks, three a la carte meals a day, a spa treatment, transfers to and from the resort and all gratuities. This is an excellent deal. The drinks were not watered down whatsoever; the brands of alcohol included in the plan are mostly premium brands and they offer an excellent variety but just ask the bartender to sure your brand is not considered a chargeable brand. Champagne is an additional charge as is the Lobster at Dasheene. I outlined the meal plan above but again I must say this is a great deal, no buffets (except the Sunday barbecue) and no items are off limit. You also have a choice of spa treatments, including a massage. (I chose the Swedish massage and it was great!)

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay in St. Lucia. The Ladera is a beautiful, magical place; I will definitely return soon.

37 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 16 February 2006

We stayed at the Ladera Resort on January 2006 in deluxe Villa F for 6 days. We recommend getting a villa, because the deluxe suites are quite small. Your pool in the deluxe suites are more like a soaking tub and there is very little room to move about. The villa was very spacious-3 bedrooms(1 with a single bed), large plunge pool where 2 people could float around on a mat, spacious living room with an extra large couch, table where 2 people could eat, kitchenette with a refrigerator stocked with refreshments, and 2 bathrooms! The view is spectacular from your room- Piton peaks,tropical flowers, and carribean sea. They supply you with a fan in your room which we used generally at night to drown out the crickets & tree frogs. They provide you with bathrobes, binoculars, ear plugs(a must at night) insect repellent(which we never needed) and a walkie talkie for room service. Its best to get the all-inclusive meal plan because the meals and drinks can be quite costly. Food at the Dasheene Restaurant superb, you must try the Calypso sweet potato shrimp, mahi mahi, and mojo steak. Friday night is seafood night-lobster a must(have to pay extra). Portions were plentiful and service was quite good. Ask for Gus as your waiter, he was our favorite! You need to make reservations for dinner and you can also reserve a specific table(1, 2, 4, & 6 offer the best views). There is entertainment nightly- really enjoyed Saturday night- a fire dancer and reggae band. In the all-inclusive package, you get a free spa treatment which we really enjoyed. The botanical garden path is really pretty but too short. The resort is small so after a day or two, we ventured out on walks outside of the resort. We took a shuttle to Jalouise Beach(10minute ride) -they allow you to use the lounge chairs there but you can't sit under the thatch umbrellas. Food & drinks are available. Service was good, prices reasonable. Great snorkelling spot! Free shuttle to the beach every two hours starting from 9am-4pm.
We had a unique and memorable experience at Ladera resort and plan on visiting again in the near future.

21 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Los Angeles
Reviewed 15 February 2006

My wife and I just returned from a wonderful stay at Ladera. I cannot say enough good things about this hotel; from the location, to the staff to the food and to the rooms. The entire ambience of the place is completely relaxing and friendly. Also, the rooms were immaculate and cleverly designed with fascinating and unique original woodwork and tile work. The entire resort is like an art gallery. The staff is sincere and is very helpful. They would go out of their way to greet us by first name every day. The Dashene Resteraunt is beyond 5 - Star, if that is possible. The chef, Orlando - takes time to personally meet all of the guests. We took the very convenient daily shuttles to the beach at Jalousie or Anse Chastenet. Our preference was Jaulousie beach but the snorkeling is oustanding at both. We also did the rainforest and botancial garden hike. Further, we found the village of Soufriere to be totally charming.

We had a one bedroom deluxe and it was great! The "missing" wall was really a great touch. Having coffee in the morning and watching the mountains "come to life" with the rising sun was breathtaking. Of course, the myraid of birds as well as the occasional lizards and frogs were fascinating. The only insects were saw were a few moths.

I really cannot find anything negative to say about this resort. Obviously, it is not for people who expect the world to came to a crashing to a halt when they walk through the lobby and expect "cookie-cutter" rooms. But if one is looking for a unique and natural Caribbean experience, this is the resort for them.

We'll be back!

18 Thank JaPike
Bermuda
Reviewed 14 February 2006

I have to admitt after everything that I had read that this hotel it is over rated.
The location is perfect but they have not got their act totally together yet.
The biggest problem that I had was with dinner, to be honest it was the worst (considering what I paid) that I had in St Lucia.

I do not eat meat ,some might say that I am fussy but to the contary I will eat anything so long as it is in the veggie family!!
I was delighted to see that they had a steamed vegetable starter and a vegetable in filo pastry for entree(sounds borning to all you carnivors I know!), sorted I thought!!
Ok , lets cut to the chase, the starter was way too salty and in a tall glass, and seeing that the vegetables were hard and cold , nearly went flying around all over the place!!
Actually all I regcognised were the carrots, seeing as I hardly touched it , the waitress just grabbed it and never asked if everything was Ok, would not have hurted to ask.
The main course was meant to be ina filo pastry , now I am no chef but it came out in a pancake which was sweet, not to my taste.

OK , enough already, Overall the whole place is over rated and not worth your hard earned bucks.

5 Thank Martina12
NYC
Reviewed 8 February 2006

By no stretch of the imagination is Ladera a great hotel. It's just okay. The rooms are outdated and very "Caribbean kitsch," with ugly, cartoonish tile decorations of fish. The bed was unremarkable. The service is quite begrudging; when they say hi to you, it seems only because they've been told to do so. The views are indeed, beautiful, but other than the ok pool, there's little to do at the resort itself. It's really too bad, since it's hard to imagine a better location for a hotel, and under a much more attentive management, with renovation of the rooms and provision of the sort of perks you expect at a 5-star hotel (nice toiletries, towels, and linens, a decent mattress, converting the plunge pools to heated jacuzzis for nighttime enjoyment, etc.), this could indeed be a hotel to rival any other. The best decision we made was to rent a car, so that we could visit the beaches and sites we wanted. (The roads between the airport and Ladera were just fine.)The Dasheene restaurant is very medicore, and incredibly expensive. A much better restaurant, at very good prices, is the Hummingbird in the very seedy town of Soufriere. It may not look like much from the outside, but we ate there two nights in a row because the food was so delicious. All my complaints aside, it was a fun experience to sleep so close to nature; the night noises were wonderful. A good experience; a mediocre hotel.

7 Thank DaneP
Woodbridge, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 January 2006

My husband and I were married at Ladera and we had an amazing, relaxing and very romantic trip.

Upon first arriving at Ladera, after a 40 minute winding shuttle ride, my first impression wasn't what I had hoped for, but I soon changed my mind. When we first arrived, we were greeted with the cool face clothes I had read about, which were a nice touch, and then told we had been upgrade to Villa C which was a lovely surprise. Our room had 2 stories, 2 baths and 3 bedrooms. The view is absolutely amazing. I can't imagine paradise being any closer to perfection. It truly was such a pleasure to wake up every morning to the sun rising over the Pitons and seeing the Caribbean down below.

I quickly learned the most uncomfortable time was during the afternoon, with the full sun shining in the rooms, which was around the time we first arrived. It can get quite warm, but if you keep yourself out of your room and busy until later in the evening, then it really is no problem. There is such a gentle breeze in the evenings that keeps you quite comfortable. There's also an oscillating fan in the room that helps a lot.

The frogs are quite loud at night, but being from the South this didn't pose much of a problem for me or my husband. I will say if you are the type that minds nature spilling over into your room, this is probably not the place for you. There were a few lizards seen on the walls, birds flying in the kitchen area to drink water dripping out of the faucet, and the tiny tree frogs could be found (if you looked for them) at night. I believe I only received one bug bite the entire trip and the only time I even saw bugs was at night when the lights were on in the rooms and even then - there were very few, though I've heard this depends on the season. One of the couples we met told of us of an oppossum coming waddling into their room after they ordered room service - which you do on a walkie-talkie since there are no phones.

There were quick rain showers daily. Even the day of the wedding it rained for about 5 minutes right before I had to leave to meet my groom on the pool deck, but this only adds to the rainbows which are everywhere!

Both my husband and I thought the restaurant, Dasheene, was excellent, and we both love good food. We did try the Hummingbird also, which had a nice atmosphere and a great menu. We had the all inclusive meal plan which we felt was definitely worth it.

The driver Joseph was a tremendous help to us and very trustworthy. He hooked us up with a water taxi that tooks us all the way up to Rodney Bay and later Castries. This would have been about $400 if done through the hotel, but was much less than that through Joseph's connections in town. That day ended up being our favorite. It was a great trip for us to take (his contact info is [----------------]). Joseph helped us out more than one occasion. He also headed up the Soufriere Experience Tour which went to the volcano and botanical gardens. He was a great tour guide. Be leary of some of the taxi drivers as we had a couple try to persuade us to spend money on their restaurants or tours.

It's true about the hot water taking quite awhile to warm up. I'd usually start the shower and let it run at least 5 min before even attempting to get in, and usually by then it was quite nice. The showers are open which is great for the view, but can be quite chilly when a breeze blows through. Our plunge pool was also freezing and we never got in, but we heard the last day we were there they have warmers they will turn on at your request.

The beach at Jalousie was quite nice and the views just can't be beat. For me the water was a bit cool, but my husband went snorkeling. I chose to lay out and look at the beautiful scenery.

We went deep sea fishing one day, and this was the only excursion I might change if I had it to do over, as we were out for 4 hours and didn't even have a nibble. I realize this is merely the luck of the draw. We did hear Capt. Mack is the one to see if you wish to go deep sea fishing.

One tip I did get off of this site which I HIGHLY recommend is to bring your own CD player and some of your favorite CD's.

The wedding was beautiful. The pictures and DVD were back to us the NEXT DAY and are breathtaking!! The wedding coordinator, Rosemary, was very sweet and saw to it our every wish was met. The lady who performed the ceremony gave a very heart felt and personal touch and we were very pleased. I was also very impressed with the professionalism of the photographer and videographer. I couldn't have dreamed of a better backdrop than the Pitons at sunset. We had to wait 3 business days before the ceremoney, which turned out be perfect b/c we were both so rested and relaxed we weren't the least bit nervous when the big day came.

I have read the reviews that said to only stay at Ladera for a few days, but we wish we could have had more time. To us it was heaven.

19 Thank Jennifer Y
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!