“Our Wedding at Ladera”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 28 December 2009

I first read about Ladera years ago in a travel magazine and again years later read an article in National Geographic Adventurer about hiking the Gros Piton and it said that Ladera was the closest resort. When we discussed where to go for a honeymoon, it was the first place that came to mind. Then we decided, why not get married while there? It was the most stress free and fairy tale wedding ever.
Caroline, the wedding coordinator could not have been more accomodating. She took care of everything and even stood in with me as a witness. The best man was our bartender.
The property is without a doubt, the most unique and picturesque place I have stayed. The view from our swing over our private pool was to die for. The food was terrific. The servcice was the best of any resort I have stayed at.
After our ceremony, we had a private table at the pool deck over looking the Pitons and the Sea below to eat and watch the sun go down.
We were there the end of the rainy season and I was worried about that. It proved not to be a problem. We had daily showers but they passed and made for the most beautiful rainbows you can imagine.
The hike up the Gros Piton is much more than a hike. It is more like a rock climb, one of the more strenuous things I have ever done and I have ran 2 marathons and met my fiance skydiving but this was quite the trek. Our guide, I think her name was Margaret was great and took her time slow and steady or otherwise I would not have made it to the top. I was sore the next day but glad to be able to say I did it.
We split our week in St Lucia between Ladera and another resort. While the other resort was very nice, Ladera is so unique a property, the only thing I would change would have been to stay the whole week there.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 27 December 2009

We stayed in villa F, a 2 bedroom villa. It was the kind of room you did not need to leave the entire vacation. It had a 7 ft deep plunge pool, with chaise lounges in a grassy area. The outside bedroom was to do for, and the bathrooms were beautiful. Very little privacy in bathrooms, which is fine if you are with a significant other, but I was with family members. The restaurant, Dasheene, was wonderful. I was nervous about the food, because there are a lot of foods I do not eat, but I was blown away. We ordered room service for breakfast most mornings, and it was great. We also did room service for dinner one night. They brought everything down to a centerpiece, and it was a very romantic setting. I believe villa F is the only one with a grassy area, but we took a tour of the resort and all of the rooms were great! The staff was fairly attentive, although the bar staff took quite a long time to make drinks. I heard that several celebraties are regulars there, and a certain someone even stayed in our room when he was there.

I got 2 massages at the spa. It was a no frills spa, but the massages were great. My first one was with Dexter, and he has hands to die for. The second one was with Lindsey, and I talked with him half the time about the hotel, and the culture of st. lucia. He was super informative and open and honest about everything. He made my day, and I enjoyed his massage as well! Overall, I would love to go back with my husband. It was very quiet, and definitely a place to go and relax. On the south side of the island, where the resort is located, there is not much of a night life, so don't go there if you are a big partier. A great place to go and relax and read a book. The beach was a 10 minute shuttle ride down to the Jelousie Resort, and it was beautiful there as well.

Overall, I would highly recommend it!!! I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank krisa1129
Reviewed 22 December 2009

My husband and I stayed at Ladera for our Honeymoon in May 2007, therefore things may have changed but after reviewing some more recent reviews, I don't think they have... We absolutely LOVED Ladera!!!! I should preface this review by stating that I am NOT an outdoorsy type of girl and feel most comfortable in a plush terrycloth robe, in a 5-star resort. My husband, on the other hand, loves nature and being outside - your total outdoorsman (fish, hunts, etc). This was a perfect compromise for the both of us as Ladera is an upscale resort, in my mind, but it is not upscale in the sense of a Four Seasons or Ritz since it is built into the mountain. All the woodwork is hand-done which is amazing and beautiful to see.
I was extremely nervous about there being only 3 walls, and I actually even contacted someone else who posted on this page for more information. Since it is only 3 walls, you WILL have wildlife creatures come into your room.. we saw a big slug on the side of our plunge pool, a few birds during the day time (this bothered me the least), and one night (which was the worst) there had to be 6 or 7 geckos on the ceiling. Thank goodness we had dinner reservations because I just about panicked when I saw that!!! However, it really is not that big of a deal, and I would not miss out on Ladera for that since they truly are harmless. I did not notice any ants or get bitten by anything. To be honest, even after experiencing the geckos en masse, I would still love to revisit Ladera in the future to celebrate an anniversary. It really was that amazing.
Okay, now that I've gotten what I think is most people's biggest concern out of the way.. we stayed in Room A, which is closest to the restaurant and pool area. I did not find this area noisy at all since when people are dining or enjoying drinks at the bar - you most likely are as well. The room was always exceptionally clean. We really liked that there were 2 living areas so that you can relax downstairs by the plunge pool/sun during the day and then you have your separate bedroom area upstairs at night. There is a mini fridge with beer, water, soda, and a basket with things you might need (water gun to shoo the birds away, star finder, eye mask for sleeping, and ear plugs-which we did not need).
The main pool was very nice, with a few beach chairs, and we did have drink service at the pool which was nice as well. However, the main pool was a total ghost town since i think most people enjoyed their private plunge pools instead.
The food was delicious and they really tried to cater to any requests we had, as I am a relatively picky eater. At breakfast, they have an amazing banana jam!!! The lunch and dinner menu are generally the same each day/night but with a few dinner specials each night. I cannot complain about the food at all. Chef Orlando was extremely nice and even came out to greet the guests, which I thought was a nice touch since he is very highly respected on the island.
The thing that we liked best about Ladera, besides it being completely unique, is the fact that there is really nothing to do except relax!!! You can do excursions or go to the beach (they have shuttles to the beach, but we did not use them so I cannot comment on that aspect) but besides that, you just sunbathe, eat very well, enjoy a Piton beer, and catch up on rest! This was sooo nice, especially since it was our honeymoon and there really aren't many vacations where people just get away from everything (incl phones, tv!) and unwind. On that note, it is not an issue in the least that there is not a TV in the room - they have books you can borrow as well as board games and a DVD player you can borrow.
We spent 3 nights at Ladera and spent our remaining time at Sandals Grande. It was a good compromise so that we can relax and experience Ladera but also were able to have that more "traditional" all-incl resort as well with beach/water activities, etc.
Ladera was absolutely amazing and relaxing and I would visit again!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 December 2009

I thought I had done my diligence given the overwhelmingly positive reviews of Ladera. Let me give you a few key highlights of the experience: (i) the pool area is circa 1984 and only has 8 beach chairs; (ii) service, while moderately friendly, is best summarized as a lackadaisical unawareness (example: staff rarely asks you if you want a drink when sitting by the pool and we had to ask three time and wait 45 minutes before someone brought towels out to us); (iii) the pools in the rooms are not heated and get extremely cold (we thought we enjoy the sunset, but the pool was ~60 degrees); (iv) the open air rooms sound nice, but we got eaten alive by insects even with the mosquito nets around the bed; (v) the “gym” is an absolute joke and is tucked away under a building and half of the three pieces of equipment were out of order; (vi) management completely disregarded us when I complained about the atrocious service; (v) the spa is disgusting and there is no way we were willing to receive a treatment of any kind in those conditions.

To summarize, it is an absolute shame how bad the experience was given it is $800 per night when we stayed and the location is beautiful. Unfortunately, bad management and a facility than is 20 years overdue of a renovation ensure more reviews such as mine.

You are hands down better off staying at the JALOUSIE PLANTATION which is located just below Ladera on the beach. It is absolutely night and day… I PROMISE YOU. We ended up leaving Ladera after two nights and finishing off the remainder of our trip at Jalousie which was possibly the best decision I have made other than marrying my wife.

22  Thank NYC_Traveler_2010_9
Reviewed 17 December 2009

There are no words or pictures that can possibly attempt to describe the feeling that consumes you while at Ladera. I knew I was in for a treat and an experience like no other the moment i stepped out of the taxi from the airport into the open air lobby while being greeted with a cold damp towel for my neck and a refreshing local beverage I believe called Sorrel. Check in was a breeze and before I knew it I was stepping into suite "P". Every room is slightly different and have slightly different views but i can tell you there is no bad room at Ladera. We met some people that were kind enough to show off their rooms to us. We had a Gros Piton suite but viewed the Petit Piton, 2 bedroom Villa and The Hilltop Dream Suite as well. I think if I was going back to Ladera I would either pick the Two Bedroom Villa " C" or Hilltop Dream Suite X8 if I had a choice. That said any room would be magnificent anyway. Ok so here is the deal with Ladera. You go to Ladera if you are looking for the following. An entirely unique experience that will make you feel one with the land, to experience the beauty and simplicity that life needs to survive, to enjoy some flavours your mouth probably has never experienced, and to unwind from the stressful society you most likely live in. You don't go to Ladera if you are expecting perfection, air conditioned rooms, powerful showers with multiple heads, carpet, 200 channels of satellite television or internet in your room. Things will find there way into your room this is guaranteed. With the open wall facing the the Jungle, Pitons, Caribbean sea Birds, Moths, gecko's will come say hello. Our railing that protects us from falling into the Jungle cliff had an ant superhighway running across it most days but they never came into the room. One day we had a massive slug on the railing as well eating nearby leaves off a tree that overhangs. Sleeping under the netting on the bed is perfect. The tree frogs are very loud at night but we ran out plunge pool to help drown the noise. I found it nice and relaxing actually. I am an experience camper though and love the outdoors. We ordered room service for breakfast the first morning and we were greeting by a nice fellow named Vianney. He turned out to be extremely resourceful and helpful to us during our stay. If you go be sure to ask him anything as he lives in the area. In the restaurant and bar area Jennifer, Elizabeth, Merton and Danley were fast and friendly as well. Ethelbert is the longest lasting employee at Ladera. He was there the day they laid the first stone. Excellent story teller and wise man. The food at Dasheen is as good as they say. Sexy cuisine without a doubt. Orlando and crew know how to present a dish or two. LOL. We were lucky to enjoy a free sampling of his daily inspirations before each dinner as a tease of what was to come. It gets dark very early in St Lucia this time of year. 5:30-6PM the sun goes down and dinner doesn't start until 6:30PM so you will not get to enjoy a sunset dinner. The last night we had dinner a gecko had fallen from the ceiling and landed in a gentlemen's soup. At breakfast in the morning you will be armed with water guns to shoot the birds that will pick up any food they can get near. This is quite fun. While we there we decided to hike the Gros Piton all 2,600 feet of her. This is an awesome experience but not for anyone in poor shape. Rather strenuous but very rewarding. The views are unmatched. I believe my pictures will do the rest of the talking. I loved Ladera and don't have a single regret for going there. We stayed 5 nights and enjoyed every moment of our stay.

Reviewed 12 December 2009

...try the original open-air hotel of carved wood, local tile and total lushness. It's like comparing an Imperial Encampment to the Ewok Village.

Ladera was the final leg of our honeymoon, which started at Swissotel in Istanbul, followed by Museum Hotel for a balloon trip over Cappadocia. So we went from European luxury, to literally dwelling in caves for a few nights. I say this to make clear that we have a decent threshold for adventure, yet appreciate high quality service.

Ladera, as I'd hoped, had the best of both -- sort of a campground run by Four Seasons. I second all the positives I've read on TripAdvisor, and will share our own experience on some points of dispute:

RESTAURANT. There's only one restaurant, so it's good that it's as dependable as it is. Not Parisian refinement, which some TA commentators seemed to expect, but hearty and flavorful local foods. We found the prices comparable to those in good restaurants in major cities: not cheap, but no real sticker shock.

BUGS. Simply rinse your glasses and return your room service items before bed to avoid ants. We encountered NO biting insects. Watching a DVD on our laptop one evening did invite a few "no-seeums," but they were harmless and disappeared when we turned off the screen.

Since this place is all about unplugging, we found this tradeoff entirely fair. We found ourselves nodding off at an agreeably early hour, then enjoying GORGEOUS morning light which we too often sleep through during our normal lives.

NOISE. We found the resort location and our own villa accommodation (we too were upgraded smartly due to off-season availability) to be very quiet 98% of the time. But yes, on occasion, we were aware that our neighbors were back. If we'd had neighbors who brought a sound system with them, we'd likely have asked management to resolve.

Look: it's a resort, not a private family compound. It's a testament to the spell Ladera casts that guests start to expect even more. Overall the balance Ladera strikes between high levels of privacy and, you know, LIVING OUTDOORS is pretty remarkable.

ROAD ACCESS. Those prone to carsickness will not enjoy the ride up or down the mountain. This is due to twists and turns, NOT poor road or vehicle quality.

In brief: Ladera is the original, done well and with care, cheerfulness and pride. If anything is truly amiss, I believe the experienced island general manager Waddy will put it right.

Whether at Ladera or at one of the copycats, three-wall living is not for unrepentant city slickers who blush at the sight of the occasional stray newt or hummingbird. But as long as you know what you're getting into, it's hard to imagine it done any better than they do it here. For me and my new bride, it was a magical finale to the trip of our lives.

2  Thank Vociferocious
Reviewed 5 December 2009

We stayed at Ladera for 3 nights during our Honeymoon in St. Lucia. The resort closes down for maintenance and to give their staff a break from mid-August to mid-September. We arrived at the resort the day it re-opened in September, and due to availability we were upgraded to a Hilltop Suite (upgrade of about $400 UDS a night).

The rooms are absolutely amazing. The pluge pools in the rooms are fabulous. We were able to see both of the Pitons (mountains) from our plunge pool. Also, the staff is meticulous about keeping things clean since the rooms are very much exposed to the elements. The plunge pools in the rooms are cleaned every day. They hire all locals too (other resorts had a lot of interns from abroad) which was nice.

We read other reviews where people complained about bugs and noise. Remember - the rooms only have 3 walls, of course you'll be able to hear the jungle noises and bugs can get in the room! We found that this did not deter from our stay in the least. One word of advice - the staff put fresh flowers on the bed and in the bathroom when we arrived. We found that these fresh flowers attracted little ants, so we removed them right away and didn't have any other problems. Just don't leave any food/soda, etc out or you will get ants! We also had a gecko and a bird in the room (they like to steal the sugar packets from your bar area!)

The only restaurant on the resort - Dasheen - was great. The menu changes a bit each night, but for the most part stays the same. Everything we had was good, but meals were a bit pricey so be aware of that. The view from the restaurant was just as amazing as the room views.

Given the remote nature of the resort, beaches and other activities are not as convenient as a Sandals resort. Ladera does offer free shuttles to the beach, and will help arrange a day trip for you to one of the local tourist spots. However, if you're looking for a low-key vacation where you spend a lot of time in an absolutely fantastic room, this place is right for you. We did a lot of research and the only similar resort we found was Jade Mountain which is at a much higher price point.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kathy_Bee
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!