“Overpriced and could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
windybarn
“Overpriced and could be better”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 March 2010

Having read the last review about the noise posted on 24 February, I have to say, I agree!

My husband & I have just got back from a 3 night stay at Ladera (room X3) and although the views of the Pitons are spectacular, I didn't expect to be kept awake until 11 pm / 11.30 pm on 2 nights out of the 3 by live music in the restaurant and bar to then be woke by staff arriving for work, chatting outside, laying out tables etc at 6 am.

Their website gives the impression that's it a quiet, serene hotel but the open rooms with 3 walls means that sound travels fast which is fine if you want to stay up in the bar until late but if you don't, you'd be better off spending your £500++ per night elsewhere.

On another note, the food is good but not great (some odd combinations plus 2 lots of room service dinner were not hot), the hotel pool is tiny (but then you do have your own personal plunge although ours was freezing when it should have been heated?) and the decor is interesting but looks rather tired (especially the restaurant toilets which were really shabby - not what I would expect from a luxury hotel).

So, if you have the money, do go for the experience and views but ask for a room far away from the restaurant and bar.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank windybarn

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (320)
Surrey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 February 2010

We were put in the Hillside rooms, X1, the first night. Hardly slept a wink because it is right next to restaurant and bar, and they have live music until 11pm. The restaurant has a good reputation (it's excellent) so outside people and locals come in to eat, and celebrate. On our first night they sang happy birthday to someone several times very loudly until 11.50pm. We were very tired after long flight and zet lag time difference.
Then the restaurant clears up clanking about until 12.30 am plus. Then at 5am deliveries arrive for breakfast and they start to lay tables for breakfast at 6am, dropping things, dragging chairs across the floor, chatting etc.
There are no walls so the sound travels! We moved rooms after the first night to one further away from her and it was fine. Ruined our first day though as we had to sleep most of it to recover from noisy night.
Do not be put in X1 to X5, nor rooms A or B then you stand a chance of not being near the restauant.

Otherwise it has a charm of its own, great views, good staff. The place is a little rough and ready though so it is quirky and things l;ike showers do not always work well.
Great to have your own pool.

1 Thank katdSurrey
West Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 February 2010

If I’d read the last two reviews before booking our St Lucia holiday, there’s no way we’d have gone to Ladera. Fortunately, I’ve only read them since our return – we had a wonderful time at this unique hotel!

However, it’s not for everyone. If you’re expecting a highly luxurious, modern, plush hotel, you should look elsewhere. If you want a uniquely St Lucian experience, with breathtaking views, good food, good service in an “organic” setting, it’s for you!

The rooms are very comfortable and quite well equipped. Our “villa” suites were spacious and full of character, the décor interesting if a little tired. The four poster bed was the most comfortable I’ve ever slept in away from home. And then of course, there’s the view – spectacular and ever-present.
The open–sided design brings the outside into the room, and again if waking up to gekkos on the walls, frogs on the floor and birds perching on your bed worries you, Ladera’s not for you! But we loved it! The beds have good-quality nets over them so nothing actually gets in to you as you’re sleeping.

The missing wall obviously lets in sound where an enclosed room wouldn’t. The night time chorus of insects, frogs etc was an amazing sound, and we actually found it soothing as we went to sleep, but some probably wouldn’t. You’d certainly be disturbed if you had noisy neighbours, but luckily we didn’t. Note that all suites and villas are connected – there are no standalone buildings – and it would definitely be a good idea to include a site plan on the hotel’s website to give prospective guests a better idea of the layout.
I would agree with an earlier reviewer about the music, though. Ladera pitches itself as a quiet, relaxing hotel ,so having live entertainment blaring out from the bar until as late as 2300 most nights when all the rooms are “open” seems a strange thing to do. It should definitely finish at 2200, or even earlier. I guess it’s not a major problem unless you want an early night, though (as we did on our first night due to the 4 hour time difference).

Our first room was right opposite the bar and the noise was quite bad, but after complaining we were moved to a more distant room the following day, which was much better. Full marks to the staff for the way this was handled. In fact, the hotel staff were pretty much spot on all throughout our eight day stay.

The plunge pool temperature does vary as they’re solar heated, but were never too cold to use (although the double pool in our second suite was both larger and warmer than that in the first). There was a bit of refurb work going on in some rooms as well, which created a bit of unwanted noise between 1000 and 1500 on a couple of occasions, but wasn’t really a major issue.

We found the Dasheene restaurant pretty good, if a little expensive. Head chef Orlando is very hands on, so perhaps his absence may explain some of the poor reviews below. (Incidentally, definitely sign up for his Saturday morning market visit – it’s a great way to get up close to the local Soufriere experience without feeling intimidated by pestering sellers.)
Breakfast was rather more hit and miss - both in efficiency of service and standard of cooking – although the choice of food on offer was very good.
The bar, like the restaurant, was full of character and the service, bar food and drinks were all superb.

The closest beach, Jalousie, was quite nice and uncrowded when we were there. We were treated no differently to Jalousie guests – being able to select comfortable loungers and offered beach service.

We didn’t use the Spa, so can’t really comment, although it did seem quite expensive and not overly inviting (which is why we didn’t use it!).

We had a hire car, which was very useful as the location of Ladera makes it expensive to get taxis anywhere. As a UK driver, I found no problems with the roads – many of which are better then I’m use to at home, if somewhat steeper! The hotel are good at arranging taxis, excursions etc but it works out far more expensive than organising yourself.

The best local restaurant we found (other than Dasheene!) was the Mango Tree at the nearby Stonefield estate. Excellent for both lunch and dinner, if rather quiet (as were most things while we were there).

So, in summary, Ladera’s not perfect, but it is, in our experience, a very good, unique hotel. It has bags of character, a stunning location, a good restaurant and bar, and helpful, friendly staff. It’s probably not for everyone, but we loved it! If we were planning our trip again we’d definitely choose Ladera, although we’d probably split our eight days between it and a hotel in the North to make it easier to explore all of the island.

Finally, we met two couples during our stay who had previously been at the (more expensive) Jade Mountain resort, and both said they preferred Ladera. We never heard any serious complaints from other guests during our time at Ladera.

3 Thank drcarrera
Atlanta
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2010

Upon arrival, we were immediately greeted warmly by every staff member we encountered with hand shakes from all and a wonderful fruity drink. We were thrilled by the open air reception area and ready to see our retreat. We were given Gros Piton Suite M. The minute I walked into it, I first was taken away by the view as anyone would be. I did notice that M's ceilings/roof was not as high as I expected. The bed was down a small flight of stairs. I was disappointed that the room seemed a little small and asked for a higher ceiling. We were accomodated the next day with the O suite with an expansive view, a sunny dipping pool and the bed more out in the open. O seemed better suited for us and Holly even got out of her golf cart to see our expressions to make sure we were pleased with the change. Suite M had some strong points, the bed was nestled downstairs and ultimately had a more cozy feeling, but the bathroom in M was crampy and narrow. O's bathroom was wonderful and open yet private looking up to a beautiful tree.

Our sleep was wonderful. By the fourth night, we did decide that we probably could not do a whole week of vacation like this open to the world. Bugs did come in and tree frogs were in our shower, but we enjoyed it. It was a beautiful part of our trip. We did see a tarantula outside one of the suites and we found it fascinating hoping that it was not going to take an energy pill and make it all the way to our suite or anyone else's.

We found the service to be efficient, friendly and yet not overbearing. Everyone was as friendly as they could be.

Dasheene offers fabulous breakfasts. We also enjoyed the Sunday buffet there. Dinners were a little more disappointing to us. They were good but unremarkable and we were a bit let down by that. We go to great restaurants frequently and I must say that our best meal was at the Hummingbird in Soufriere. However, Orlando was very pleasant and a fantastic diplomat for Ladera.

The shuttles to the beaches were efficient and the drivers friendly. It did seem strange that we felt like we were "camping out" at the beaches and horning in on someone else's party with plastic chairs or no chairs available for Ladera guests. It's hard to pay as much as we did and then lie on a towel at the beaches but maybe we should have expected that not having stayed at a beach resort.

The hotel in general could use some sprucing up. I get the eco-lodge concept and understand that it is harder to maintain rooms exposed to elements. However, the decking at the pool could have used some varnish and there were weeds coming through many of the stones. The chairs and umbrellas at the pool could be updated to a nice team with comfortable cushions to seem a bit more luxurious than the PVC plastic and the iron chairs. Some of the stone and cement was cracked in spots and it looked like it could use some TLC. I am not a gym rat, but did check out the "gym" which was a back porch no bigger than 6' X12' with a treadmill, an elliptical, a bike and some weights. The treadmill was "out of order". In general, the gym just looked a little like an afterthought. The spa was equally unappealing to us. We are always booking a massage when on vacation, but we weren't motivated to this stay given the small, cramped, unmajestic quarters the Ladera uses for that.

The pool had a fantastic view of course and that was worth a lot....but there was limited seating there and unless you got there early, there was no chance to get a chair.

We really enjoyed the walk beyond the hilltop suite which offers several great payoff views of the pitons from a difference perspective. It was our mini-piton hike instead of the rugged Piton hikes. We also did the Soufriere tour including the Botanical Gardens, the drive-in volcano and the waterfalls. That was very special. We had Peter as our guide in the Botanical Gardens and he was fabulous and a great teacher. I would definitely recommend the Botanical Gardens as it's educational and luscious.

Overall, this was a fabulous and fascinating stay for us. I just think you are paying mostly for the view and service, not the fluff. We both read three books, slept 10 hours a night and successfully hit the reset button. It was a very special stay for us.

3 Thank GirlBlast
Raleigh, North Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 February 2010

Disappointment doesn’t begin to describe what I felt when Ladera cancelled our 10-month advance reservation just weeks before our expected vacation. They booted us out of our room to be able to accommodate a wedding party. My father owns a virtuoso travel agency and said he had never heard of such greedy, uncaring customer service. He called the general manager who said he could arrange for us to arrive 4 days later than we had planned and would upgrade us for free to the hilltop suite. Thank goodness my husband and I have jobs that were flexible for this arrangement. Although we were happy with the amends, this experience left us with a bad taste in our mouths.

We arrived in St. Lucia after having spent 4 nights at Petit St. Vincent in the Grenadines. We met a Ladera representative at the airport who took us to the hotel via van. Be sure to fasten your seatbelt, as it is an adventurous (and winding) journey ☺ We experienced an easy check-in and were led to our beautiful room, hilltop suite X2.

The room took my breath away. Everything aforementioned in these reviews is true. The Pitons were so close we felt as though we could touch them. The four-poster bed was among the most comfortable beds I’ve slept in. I slept like a baby for our entire stay. What is better than being lulled to sleep by the surrounding rainforest and cool mountain breezes?

We were disappointed that it rained every day of our stay. This made for very chilly weather in January. Luckily we had brought a few pair of pants and light sweaters just in case. Our pool was chilly because it was chilly outside; most of the resort, including the water for the bathrooms relies on solar energy. Our shower was freezing cold, but the problem was remedied when we asked for assistance. However, the water pressure was non-existent, and the resort’s water stopped working completely for 3 hours on the day we were supposed to leave to come home.

I feel that the following story is necessary for my review. But do know that Ladera has since gotten a new manager.

On our first evening at Ladera we attended the general manager’s cockail party at the bar beside Dasheene. We talked to him privately for about 20 minutes, and even after knowing which couple we were he did not apologize for our cancelled room. The GM had actually taught one of my husband’s friends at the Naval Academy, and we “bonded” talking about shared friends and common interests. My husband joked that running a hotel in the Caribbean was probably a lot harder than being in charge of cadets. The GM laughed, agreed, and said that many days he wished for a one-way ticket back home. He said he didn’t have any experience in the hotel industry, and the opportunity to be manager of Ladera was an offer from a friend. The GM was very kind and friendly, but he obviously did not have any business running a resort that has been rated one of the best in the Caribbean. To me it seemed that Ladera was his retirement or mid-life crisis project, and it had obviously become too much for him to handle. It almost made us feel awkward to be at a resort that the GM had such little faith and experience in. It was also evident that staff members either disrespected him or tried to get away with as little work and customer service as possible while we were there.

For example, the service we received at Dasheene was inexcusable. My husband’s dinner wine was brought to him when he was already finished with his meal. Our water was never refilled. We had to ask for bread almost every night. This should not happen at a restaurant were entrees are over $30. (not including salads). I don’t mind paying money for a good meal with good service. But truthfully, Dasheene had neither. We heard another couple at breakfast complain to the GM about their meal at Dasheene. The GM said that Chef Orlando had been off for the evening. But this wasn’t the only instance…. The fruit at breakfast was unripe, the entrees were bland, and the waitresses had sour expressions and practically threw things on the table. Breakfasts were usually silent, because the tables are so close together and you can hear every other person’s conversation, hence the food complaint from the British couple. My husband and I had lunch room service one day, and we were charged a $10. room service fee (not including tip). I found this absolutely absurd, as our room was located 20 steps from the restaurant. The only positives I found with Dasheene were the views (saw a rainbow over the Pitons one morning) and the Piton Blessing drink (incredible!)

One evening my husband and I left Ladera to have dinner at Stonefield Villas. Our meal there was excellent, and we had confirmed with our Ladera driver that we would have someone call him when we were ready to be picked up. Well, our waiter called him when we were having dessert, and we ended up having to wait for him for more than an hour, although Ladera was no more than a mile down the road. Most evenings Ladera has some kind of entertainment like a singer/steel drum band. We enjoyed these performances but felt they should end no later than 9:30 or 10pm. Our room was located above the bar area, and the band continued playing until 11pm one evening. It was so loud it felt as if they were in our room. My husband and I were frustrated we couldn’t read our books or go to bed. There are many reasons that couples choose Ladera over Sandals, one being the desire for privacy and quietness.

We tried both Jalousie and Anse Chastanet beaches and were unimpressed with both. Ladera offers 4 shuttles a day to Jalousie and 2 shuttles a day to Anse Chastanet. At both beaches you are told to stay in a certain area, as not to intrude on Jalousie or Anse Chastanet guests. Jalousie was a beautiful beach, but the beach chairs were the most uncomfortable chairs I’ve ever sat on- hard, wooden slats without cushions. Visiting cruise ship passengers would be brought over by motorboats. Saying they were loud and obtrusive is being polite. All you could hear were their motorboat captains yelling to them about where to sit, what to do, for how long, etc…We couldn’t rest or enjoy our books. However, our lunch at Jalousie (beach restaurant) was excellent.

To get to Anse Chastanet you’re taken via Ladera shuttle to Soufrierre where you board a motorboat. We felt just like the obnoxious tourists that were dumped off at Jalousie. We were able to get chairs at Anse Chastanet, but again they were in a crowded area with tons of cruise shippers and day tourists. I’m a very friendly person, but I was shocked when someone placed their beach towel and belongings by my feet and sprawled out right beside me! Neither beach offered the relaxing experience we were hoping for. The snorkeling at Anse Chastanet was great though, and we saw many fish including a group of barracuda!

My husband and I tried the mineral baths that were relaxing once we got used to the hot temps. I strongly suggest bringing an old bathing suit for this, because the water will stain/fade them. We walked into the (rather dilapidated) spa one day and asked if we could book massages. The spa concierge lady said, “sshhhhhh,” and motioned that the massage rooms were right there. I thought this was a bad set-up, as we had to whisper appointment plans. We booked a couples’ rainforest massage. It had recently rained, but I was shocked that our massage was scheduled inside a canvas tent with mud splashed up on its sides. The towels on the massage tables were damp and uncomfortable. Besides being outside for the massage nothing was special or memorable- all they used was a single bottle of plain massage oil. My husband was also surprised to learn that Lindsay was a man instead of a woman masseuse. He continued with the appointment so that we could have a shared couples experience, but regardless of how open you are to this I think that guests need to be asked if they’re ok with either gender (even for females having a male masseuse, which I also had). During our massage we heard traffic and screaming/laughing children and staff members for about 10 minutes. It was so bad that I almost shot up off the table and asked what in the world was going on and could they please tell them to be quiet. We’ve had many massages at various resorts and this was by far the worst ever. It sickened me to know that we spent over $300. for 50 minutes in the atmosphere we experienced.

In addition, the gym was a run-down, gloomy joke. The attached picture doesn’t require further description.

When we left Ladera we were given a brown paper bag with banana nut bread to take on our trip home. This was a nice gesture but definitely laughable after having received an insulated lunch box with a sandwich, veggies, cookies and drinks for our send-off from Petit St. Vincent.

We have been to almost every island in the Caribbean- for us, the island of St. Lucia ranks among the bottom with Jamaica. If you want to go to an island filled with Sandals properties and tacky tourist traps then this is the place for you. St. Lucia has done a great job with its advertising campaign. It is a good island for first-timers to the Caribbean.

It’s too bad I can’t wave a magic wand over Ladera, improve all of its problems and place it on another island. Our room was once in a lifetime, and the views were breathtaking. This ended up being what we paid for on our trip. However, they did not amount to the price tag we paid upon departure, and it’s awful to leave vacation feeling ripped off.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
9 Thank passionforadventure
New England
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2010

here is a letter that i wrote to the manager after returning from our horrible trip to Ladera and this is their pathetic response (following my email) to me:
Dear Holly and Ladera Resort-
My husband and I just returned from a 4 night stay at Ladera resort and we were quite disappointed.
Although the view was amazing it did not make up for the "lack" of a resort that Ladera is. The decor was outdated by 20 years, the "plunge pool" was a waste because the "heater" (which was non-existent) did not work and the water was freezing. The noise is the biggest problem we had. The busy road, the lack of privacy in between rooms and the music from the "restaurant" all night, kept us from being able to relax. We complained several times about each of these things and aside from changing us to another noisy room, nothing else was done. The spa is a joke. Tow rooms and I could hear everything that was being said in the room across from me while I was having my massage. The therapist although very sweet did not give a very good massage at all and there was nothing relaxing about the "spa". It definitely should not be called a spa, and being led to believe that there was a spa on the resort and then getting there made us even more upset. The air conditioner was broken and we asked or a fan and had a broken fan delivered as well. We were hoping to at least drown out the noise of our neighbors having sex with the fan on. Lastly, the restaurant Dasheen was atrocious. We along with others got a firsthand experience of the terrible food and the ridiculous portions. We ended up having every meal at Jalousie and going to their beach everyday as there was nothing else to do and no place else to eat at our resort.
We were so disappointed especially after paying an outrageous amount of money for a "Luxury Resort".
Again, other than the view and Caroline one of the workers at reception,I have nothing positive to say about this resort and will make sure that Trip Advisor is updated accordingly.
Thank you for your time.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
13 Thank hippienomad
Nova Scotia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2010

Ladera presents itself to arriving guests as a collection of dark wooden buildings appearing out of dense foliage, hiding its prize behind the tall walls of the rooms. Entering the Petit Piton room, I felt like Alice arriving in Wonderland. The door opens to reveal furniture and a pool on one side, and a most spectacular panoramic view of the Pitons on the other. The roof is 20 feet or higher, adding to the floating feeling brought by not having a fourth wall. There is no glass, no railing, no netting - just a void that recedes into the rainforest (or rather, brings the forest in).

The adventure doesn't really begin until the sun goes down. The sun set quickly, it was dark before we had a chance to find the light switches, and every living insect, frog and lizard within a mile was suddenly in our room. Terror and confusion (with ample laughter) reigned for a few minutes, until we found lights and adjusted to the new guests. Climbing into the plush, high, poster bed, complete with netting, we could barely hear ourselves think with the noise of the rain forest around us.

I am a light sleeper, not a fan of camping, I don't care for bugs, and I was quite sure I wouldn't sleep for the duration of the stay. I couldn't have been more wrong - whether it was the fresh air, the comfort of the bed or the view of the stars over the silhouetted mountains, I slept more soundly than I have ever slept before or since. I found the provided earplugs helpful.

The room has no TV, which was wonderful, and we brought a small speaker for listening to quiet music. The plunge pool was plenty large and a wonderful place to spend the afternoon reading. A chaise lounge and dining set were good for relaxing. We had no problems using the handsets to contact the front desk or restaurant. The bathroom was charming - and not fully private with shutters that opened fully to reveal the view from within. The outdoor shower may have been my favourite part of Ladera. Large stones in a semi-circle created the shower walls, with a rain shower head and a clear view to the sky above. At night, tiny frogs and lizards appeared in the crevices of the walls - it was a very special experience to feel so close to nature but surrounded by comfort.

Chef Orlando takes pride in maintaining true St Lucian flavours of Indian, Creole and Caribbean, and the food was fresh, unique, well prepared, beautifully presented and overall very good. Try the T'cholit Tea, which I have been trying unsuccessfully to recreate at home. Service was also good, keeping in mind that the Caribbean tends to move at a different pace than North America.

The staff were friendly and helpful. We participated in the chef's market tour where we visited the local food market, which was interesting. Leaving was downright sad, but made a bit more bearable by the comfortable airport transport and surprise packed lunch that we were given on our departure.

We tried to enjoy the natural hot springs tub, and couldn't even dip a toe in - the water was scalding. The rooms were not fully booked during our stay, and I wonder if the resort would have been as quiet with more people, given the lack of walls... We had no issues with noise and I expect most visitors would be respectful of the openness.

We stayed at Jalousie (prior to the renovations, please see my other review) and were glad to see the Pitons from both near and far.

St Lucia is a unique island, in particular the largely undeveloped Soufriere, and Ladera is a memorable and special hotel.

• Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank orionblu
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!