“Not luxury service; not worth the money!”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Bucks County, PA
“Not luxury service; not worth the money!”
Reviewed 14 March 2007

I too read that Ladera was rated # 1 by CondeNast Traveler. I was soon to be married (at the time) and looking for a once in a lifetime luxury that we would likely not experience again.

I felt completely mislead and extremely frustrated mainly because of the price paid vs what we rec'd. As a honeymooner I wanted to be pampered. What we got were rude and not the least bit of a warm welcome. Our questions were met with 'oh just do this' kind of attitude. No one was the least bit helpful or concerned that we were happy or understood the property, our options, the way things worked, etc.

Upon arrival after traveling all day we were hungry and looking forward to enjoy all the luxury ammenties like room service, and being pampered. We wanted to go enjoy our beautiful room and not have to deal with sitting down at a restaurant. We tried to use our walkie talkies (there are no phones so this is the way you communciate with all services). It didn't work. We walked all the way back to the front desk where it was determined our walkie needed new batteries!! Why wouldn't they check this BEFORE a new tenant occupies the unit?? We walked all the way back and attempted to order room service. We reread the walkies directions and tried in vain to order room service. Finally, we called the front desk and explained our problem. Their only suggestion was to "try again" and "are you sure your using the right channel?". We tried again (yes we were using the right channel) and still couldn't get thru. Finally, I called back the front desk and there response was that "they must not be there now". I was flabergasted. They knew we just arrived, that we had problems with our walkie, and weI told them we were hungry and what they should have done is contact room service for us. So after all that, we had to leave our room and eat in the restaurant! The sad part is this is the way our stay began and it's only the beginning!!!

The rooms were a bit of a disappointment. I say that because what you see on the internet is not likely what you'll get in YOUR room. I expected (this may be my fault) that all the rooms have this wide open view with the bed right up front. What we got was a very small view point, half blocked by a wall that curves in towards your room/view (Room M) where the bed is waay in the back and down a few stairs - very dark.. When we expressed dissapointment they basically said 'oh well'. Only after I made a fuss and spoke with different front desk personel later that day and the next day did I finally find someone who seemed only concerned about shutting me up. When I mentioned my husband didn't want to have to pack everything up, thet said that they would do that for us; but that made him uncomfortable so I packed everything up and they moved it. The second room was all I had expected (Room O; which we were told was one that was posted on their website) and it was glorious! We enjoyed the view! They did indeed have poor water pressure and temperature issues. Only after days of freezing and offhandidly mentioning it to a serviceman we saw he came in and showed us a button that was a "heater booster" and THAT solved the problem! Why didn't someone tell us that beforehand?? I had little issue with the bugs. I have to say I hate bugs and I was overwhelmingly concerned about being bitten to death. This did not happen. You can expect, if you leave the lights on at night, that they will draw bugs, but our ceiling was high and we didn't have them flying around our heads. I was not bitten more than once in 4 days! But, we did travel from 12/3 thru 12/6 and their was a cool front there our entire stay.

Room service continued to be difficult to reach. Service at the restaurant was painfully slow. I know there was not much else to do around there but eat, but come on 2 1/2 hrs for dinner?? The wait staff was also NOT detailed and downright forgetful. Forgetting to get a soda requested and ordered at the beginning of a meal should NOT happen at a property that charges upwards of $500 plus a night. They forgot to put sauces on the side or forgot to bring them at all.

We found all of our meals (and we ate everyone of them there) were very good. We had no issues or complaints at all about the food. The lobster w/ a coconut sauce was to die for and I still think about it!!! The best cooked lobster I have every had - anywhere (and I've been to much of the Carribean).

Then there were the excursions. Incredibly overpriced and with a bit of research you find you can do these very things on your own for a fraction of the cost. If the service provided was amazing - I'd say go for it, but it was just ok.

We finally found an assistant manager (he name escapes me now) who was the only one who appeared to give a dam. Even then, it was not UNITL we gave her a bottle of wine (that we rec'd in our room upon arrival from a freind) as a thankyou on our last day did she suddenly seem ultra concerned about our stay, made a room available for us to change in (that wasn't an option earlier) and gave us comment cards and her email to contact her about all the 'problems' we had had. (We joked we should have bought them all wine on our first day!)

We found that the few times the manager/owner was on property was when when the service was better from everyone. But while the boss was away... the mice do play - or should I say 'do ignore'.

I thought the views were fantastic. I though everything else was mediocre. I didn't mind spending so much time on the property/in our room because the second room was amazing and we were on our honeymoon. The even had little DVD's player with a tiny screen that you could borrow to watch a movie.

If you are spending your hard earned money looking for an amazing location and expecting luxury service this place is NOT it. If you are looking for a breathtaking view but don't mind what comes with it - then you'll love Ladera.

I myself, still feel disenchanted with what I expected from an expensive (supposid luxury) honeymoon experience and HOPE I have the money and the opportunity to try to find it one day. Don't look for it at Ladera - it's not there.

Management has along way to go to train these employees to treat their guests like a manager is there everyday 24/7.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The services
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
18 Thank partyelf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (336)
PA
Reviewed 11 March 2007

I must admit- after reading a ton of reviews on Trip Advisor, I was a wee bit concerned about my honeymoon location. The bugs, lizards, lazy wait staff...not how I imagined what was supposed to be the most special trip of my life. All my fears were put to rest as soon as our car pulled up to the gate. Some of the staff met us at the car and escorted us to the check-in area where we were handed Ladera punch. The resort is beautiful. Just what I had hoped for and imagined all those nights I couldn't fall asleep leading up to the wedding. We stayed in suite T, and while it wasn't the largest room it was like nothing I had ever experienced. Yes, it is hard to imagine but true...there are only 3 walls. Falling asleep the first night was difficult- for me it wasn't the sound of the tree frogs as much as the idea of waking up with a lizard on my pillow. My husband woke up around 3:00 in the morning (I'm not sure if I had really fallen asleep yet) and we walked out to the plunge pool area to be greeted by one of the most amazing star filled sky that I had ever seen. This place just oozed romance. And guess what? No lizards in my bed, and no bugs caught in the netting, which draped over our four poster bed. I slept like a baby the rest of the trip. The food at Dasheen was great- not sure the best I've ever had, but I enjoyed every meal. We aren't beach people, so we split our days hanging out in our plunge pool and at the resort pool. We never had a problem getting chairs- and pretty much had the pool to ourselves every day. We did a tour one day, but felt no desire to leave Ladera. We did have a visitor or two- a few lizards holding court on the wooden beams in the room, but they never came close to us, disappeared at night and I decided that I wouldn't let anything ruin my fun. They had some sort of entertainment every night (the locals sure do love Marley). Patience is a must- I had to remind myself several times that I was there to relax and couldn;t get stressed out by the some times long breaks between courses at dinner. Everyone was very friendly- the staff, other guests and visitors from area resorts and hotels that come (by the droves) to see the views and eat at Dasheen. The views are worth the trip alone. I often found myself watching the sunset and thinking "I can't believe what I'm seeing right now." It was that beautiful. So, Ladera is not for everyone, but that's a shame because it is truly an experience that I'll value forever.

• Liked — Views
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AnyaSmith
boston
Reviewed 5 March 2007

Just returned from my honeymoon at Ladera in St. Lucia. What an incredible place. The overall vibe, the beautiful scenery and in general the value were excellent. Our room overlooked the Pitons, the signature landmark of St Lucia. We had a plunge pool and a well kept suite with 3 walls. My wife is deathly afraid of bugs so that was an initial concern but ended up being an afterthought after our first day. I have traveled to a lot of places in my life and I promise, no matter where you have been the views from Ladera will rank at the top of your list. It is a simply a place of tranquility.

I gave the resort a 4 out of 5 rating but my grading might make others more or less willing to make Ladera their next destination. I am in my early 30's and while this was a perfect honeymoon spot, and I mean PERFECT, I tend to like to absorb a lot of local flavor and get out to local bars and restaraunts. The area, while nice and friendly didn't offer much outside of the resort from that perspective. And Dasheene, the award winning restaraunt at Ladera was above average but not would I would consider world class. I had a hard time with the consistency of the meals. The last night I was there was the first night I had a superb experience from app to dessert. That said, it was still very good and valued properly. And the effort and service was better than most places I have been in the Caribbean.

Aside from the resort there is a lot of terrific sightseeing to be had fot the adventurous such as the rain forest, the botanical gardens, drive in volcano etc...The locals do push hard for tips and that was very annoying but when I did some investigating and found out that the best jobs in some cases only pay 20-30 dollars per day I understood. I never felt pressure at Ladera though.

Overall, for a private retreat in a setting like no other you will likely ever see I would highly recommend the resort. You will recover your piece of mind and that is a promise. If you want spring break reincarnated forget it...go to Sandals or Cancun.

• Liked — setting
  • Disliked — far from the airport
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jp16
Colorado Springs
Reviewed 3 March 2007

We booked our 6 night stay all-inclusive (early December) a full year in advance, and checked off every day in anticipation of an incredible experience, as most of the reviews would indicate...it did not quite work out that way. We thought we did ourselves a favor by going inclusive, as previous reviews had encouraged, but I think that was the problem. Our service (at the bar in particular) was terrible. Maybe twice during our entire stay did someone take a drink order, which was frustrating because most of the time there were only about 3 or patrons in the bar and at LEAST 2 bar staff, let alone the fact that we were only drinking cokes. I believe that the fact we weren't tipping, we were sort of singled out being inclusive, and I don't think there were many other guests that were all-inclusive. A couple of the staff were friendly however, but a couple of others that were just short of rude.

Nearly every meal at the Dashnee was good, but if you are all inclusive plan on spending roughly 6 + hours per day there. Seriously. We realize that service is slower in the Caribean, but it is ridiculously slower here. The chairs in the restaurant take a toll on your back, I would half -jokingly tell my wife on a few occasions that we may have to skip dessert as my back only had 20-30 minutes left before I needed medical attention, which wasn't far from the truth.

Overall, the resort was nice, bugs were scarce, a few roaches (to be expected) the island is beautiful, the Jalouise beach is unbelievably beautiful, we would probably not return to Ladera, which could have and should have been a better experience. We knew it was the Carrribbean, and didn't expect superb service by any means, but for 6 grand we definitely expected more...

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — service
  • Stayed December 2006, travelled as a couple
6 Thank CanyonLife
Coral Gables, Florida
Reviewed 27 February 2007

Just got back from my first visit to St Lucia and a 3 nights stay at Ladera. I agree with most of the reviews I read, it is a very unique special place, the magic of being at 1100 ft with the ocean and the Pitons in front of you and with the forth wall missing does not compare to any other place I have stayed before.

It is very romantic, ambiance here is second to none, I love the layout of the resort, the way the suites have been designed, we stayed at a Gross Piton Suite with a seatting area and plunge pool downstair and a loft 2nd floor with a 4 posters bed, from every corner of the room the views were stunning. The sound of nature during the mornings and are night add magic to your stay, and if you add the sound of your pool waterfall....

Upon arrival we were greeted with a refreshing lemon /ginger drink in the gracious open air receiption, someone took care of our lugagge and later park our car in the parking lot. We were scortted to our room and briefly explained some basics, attention in the resort is courteus (not the best but not bad ). We changed, took a shower (the bathrooms are a bit outdated and there is not much water pressure) then dress to go to dinner at the famous Dasheene resort restaurant (people do dress a bit to go to Dasheene, a summer dress the ladies, pants and collared shirt men). We spent an hour in the bar /lounge area where we experience a beautifull sunset zipping champaign, after we proceeded to dine, the views from the restaurant are gourgeos as well, ask for a table in the edge, it's worthy, if not available wait for it! The food was good, there is a special menu that changes every day and there is the regular menu, a good variety and mix of flavors. I specially loved the Seventh Heaven Sweet Potato Soup (sweet potato and a ginger liqour are the main ingredients here)from the regular menu and a mahi encrusted in plantain from one of the daily menus, we ordered house wine every night and it was good as well. The cheff Orlando goes around the tables and graciously salutes and talk to his guests, a very nice note. Service in the restaurant is very island style, slow and not the best, but again with that view you don't care much!

After dinner friday and saturday there was live music for a while, though most of the guest retired early to their suites. Breakfasts were great, again the view in the morning, the birds...there is an a la cart menu (my room rate included breakfast though), you can go with a continental breakfast or what I ate every single day, a full breakfast, fruit platter, chesse platter, assorted charcurterie, eggs, sausage, bacon, fried sweet potato (i love it) pumpkin pancapes (my favorites), roasted tomatos, etc or you could have an omelette made to your taste. During the day there is no much to do in the resort but that is the idea to relax, read, enjoy the view and disconnect from the real world. There are shuttles that go during the day to the Jalousie beach or to Soufriere and Anse Chastanet beach, the take snorkle equipment and beach chairs for u.There is a spa, I did not go,there is a bath with mineral waters, and in the lounge/bar area there are a good selection of games and books. Overall this is a great experience to be done at least once in a life time, waking up to the sound of the birds and the smell of the morning, though even though you are paying the rate of a luxury hotel keep in mind, this is not luxury, is a great property ,has a great location, has every thing it needs to be the best.... but the service and attention to detail you find in a 5 star will not be found here, no fancy toilettries or towels, not a fancy stocked bar (you'll find it empty and have to go to reception from 9 to 5 to request to have it stock from a very limited selection ). In my case for example one chair was missing a cushion case, there was only one cream package to prepare coffe, that I consumed the first day and was never refilled, no chocolates with your turndown service, etc, etc.... but I do recommend it as overall it was a great experience, at least to be experienced once in your life..

• Liked — the views
  • Disliked — Poor minibar selection
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
3 Thank eleang
Grand Anse, Grenada
Reviewed 4 February 2007

Where to begin....when we mentioned to employees of Sandals Regency in St. Lucia that we were only staying with them for 6 nights and then were headed to Ladera, every reaction was the same: heads snapped around and eyes got very wide. As they were employees of Sandals, many were hesitant to offer an opinion of a competing property on their island, but most did anyway. The central theme was that words can't describe Ladera. After just returning from our vacation, I agree but will do my best anyway.

The property itself is 27 rooms that seem to be built into a ridge about 1000 feet up from the base of the Pitons, and right between them. From our room (room O), we had a very clear view of Gros Piton (the larger one) but just a hint of Petit Piton. If possible, try to stay in a room from about A to L if you want the whole view. The rooms are like staying in a tree house, the wall facing the Pitons and Gulf of Mexico are missing - and it drops right off from the edge of your private plunge pool. Really, the Pitons look like they're about 1/2 mile away, but actually are a bit more than that, probably about 2 miles, but they loom so large that it's almost like you could reach out and touch them. So, the view is absolutely breathtaking, both from your room, as well as the pool deck and the restaurant Dasheene.

Our room was great, a musquito net covered king sized bed on a raised platform, plunge pool that was just the right temperature to cool you off, a bathroom with a faucet that had a conch shell where the water came out, and an outdoor shower (raised high above the walkway below so nobody could peek in). We entered by walking up a dark, almost midevil stone stairway, and it opened into this naturally lit room created out of stone and wood. Rustic feeling, but very high end. A word of warning, no TV and no phones at Ladera. You communicate with the restaurant and reception by 2-way radio if you need anything. Kind of cool, and nice if you want to get away from it all.

We decided to opt for the all-inclusive plan for dining. Breakfast is included, but adding the other meals and drinks worked out well for us so we didn't have to be concerned with how much food costs - and it is rather expensive. It was a simple matter of signing everything to your room, and we didn't encounter any surprises when we checked out. The only limitation is that wine and champagne by the bottle isn't part of the deal. Those would be extra if you decided to splurge. We drank wine by the glass for most dinners, and found the choices to be more than just acceptable, they were all very good.

The restaurant on the property saw us for all meals, we saw no reason to go anywhere else to eat because this place is first rate. The wait staff is very well trained, friendly, and attentive to your needs. Courses are well planned, and never did we have the next course brought while still enjoying the previous one. They pay attention, which in our opinion is very important when dining in a restaurant of this caliber. Food was out of this world...think french with a carribbean influence. Spices were used extensively, but never overpowering and always took you through a number of different tastes. Shrimp Dasheene was to die for (their signature dish), but all entree's were top quality, presented well, and wonderfully flavored. In fact, one night, the restaurant sort of closes down and does a buffett. You might think that it could mean a lower quality of food would be served, but you would be wrong. The executive chef himself was carving the sirloin and suggesting the correct sauce for all the items on the buffet. Mahi Mahi, seafood kabobs, jerk chicken, sirloin were the main items we could remember, and the dessert buffet even included bananna's foster. Everything was very good and prepared just perfect.

Breakfasts and lunches were great too, menu items had a lot of variety, a favorite of ours ended up being the deep fried feta cheese. Had that a couple of times it was so good.

Pool deck was nice, as was the infinity pool. They have a guy that takes care of things around the pool, drinks, munchies, and even cool, peppermint-smelling face towels to freshen up before lunch.

Went on the rainforest tour one day, and our guide Valerie was just great. Picked us up at the resort, and within a mile or 2 we had her Landrover in 4WD and were climbing. Got out and hiked a bit (not for those with a heart condition), and saw tremendous views from high above the island. In fact, from one point we could see the Atlantic in one direction, and the Gulf in another. Valerie also helped us gain an understanding of daily life on St. Lucia, and also got into the agricultural aspect of the island. She'd stop along the roadside, grab a handful of leaves off a tree, and ask us to tear them and smell to identify the spice. Or, ask a roadside vendor for a coconut and cut the top off to allow all 6 of us to taste the water inside. Things like that really made the trip interesting. Be warned though, a few mosquitos can be found on this trip so bring some bug dope just in case.

This place doesn't really fit the profile of being a good "value". It's more expensive than most people would be able to handle. But we were celebrating our 25th wedding anniversary so we pulled out all the stops, and Ladera was the perfect place to help us remember why it was that we've enjoyed each other's company for the past 25 years. Very private, quiet, and some international guests made this a very nice spot to help us celebrate. If you're looking for a "special" hotel, this is the one.

• Liked — location
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
19 Thank martinelli5800
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 26 January 2007

From the very moment we arrived at Ladera for our 7 day honeymoon, we were in heaven! The staff met us at our car with rum punch and took us to our beautiful suite (T). It was nothng short of amazing. The view was truly out of this world. Each morning we had breakfast delivered to our room. It was more food than the two of us could possibly eat!!! We spent our days lounging at the pool ( we had it to ourselves each day)! The staff waited on us hand and foot. The food was outstanding! Very fresh fish and great steaks! The seafood pasta was sublime. The spa had a variety of treatments AND the sulphur baths were energizing. It did take a while for dinner each night, but who really is in a hurry? We cannot wait to go back again!
P.S. Try the Piton beer, its really good.

• Liked — Plinge pool
  • Disliked — leaving at end of honeymoon
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
7 Thank psu86
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Stonefield Estate Resort
Stonefield Estate Resort
#3 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!