“Everything I hoped and better”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Mad Town. WI
“Everything I hoped and better”
Reviewed 16 April 2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This place is heaven on earth. The scenery, comfotable bed, plunge pool and service all wonderful.
We married young and waited 25 years to go on a trip like this and admit many of the recent reviews worried us.
We traveled with friends who were not as happy with there room and Ladera staff was happy to show them another which was very much appreciated. We had the Petite Piton room N and other then thin walls, we were taken back by the beauty and comfort.
I would consider upgrading next time to a little bigger suite.
I felt safe, ate & drank anything and never felt sick. Food outstanding. Enjoy the great beauty of the world and don't expect it to be commercialize. Go to Sandels for that.
Tips -Head to the Food Market for Snacks and Beverages for your own happy hour in your room.

• Liked — Beauty
  • Disliked — Thin Walls
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank GJMO

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (325)
Worcester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2007

We have just had 3 days at Ladera as part of a silver wedding celebration. Although we enjoyed our time there, the experience was patchy. The Petit Piton suite was small but adequate. The plunge pool was too cold to use but the stars were lovely and I liked the noise of the frogs.

We had partly chosen Ladera for the food and were so disappointed initially that were contemplating eating elsewhere, despite the fact that we had paid for full board. It was difficult to drink wine by the glass with the meal as it tended to arrive after the relevant course.
However, the lunches were much better and fresher tasting than dinner although the slowness of service made it difficult to get the afternoon shuttle to the beach. Full board is better value if you want to stay at the hotel but not if you want to do other things. Food seemed to be better when Orlando, the chef, was around.

The whole place is quite quirky and not for those who want everything just right. However the setting is fantastic and we much preferred Soufriere to Castries. It is easy to walk to Sulphur Springs from their and if you go late on, you have the place to yourselves. If you want to visit other places, it is cheaper and more flexible to do it yourself although we did enjoy the company of our rainforest guide. Snorkelling at Jalousie was excellent although there were some tiny jellyfish.

• Liked — location and rooms
  • Disliked — expensive for what you get
  • Stayed April 2007, travelled as a couple
Amagansett, New York
Reviewed 4 April 2007

My wife and I just returned from an 8 day 7 night stay at Ladera.
We first heard of the hotel through a cable travel show "Caribbean Escapes". Received brochures from their
booking agent in Atlanta, GA. Based on the TV show and the brochures this certainly looked like the kind of small upscale resort that we prefer.

We arrived and were upgraded to a two bedroom villa A1.
Initially pleased of the upgrade but once we were brought to the villa and were given the opportunity to check it out our excitement quickly changed to disappointment. There was no view, a plunge pool that was useless. Our bedroom was two flights up and so dark and small we couldn't even get to the far side of the bed. In addition there was a small closet and no dresser so unpacking was not an option. I immedately requested the room that we had initially booked. They were very accommodating and by 8:30 the next morning we were in our new room R. The views were everything that the brochure pictured. The plunge pool was
large enough but cold and in serious need of sprucing up.

The room, although brigher than A1 was still too dark, dimly lit, dingy and clearly in need of an update. If you call yourself a 5 star resort and charge accordingly ($725 a night) it is expected that the room reflect the price charged.

Our dining expectations were based on the fact that the Dasheene was five star quality. The food at best was adequate. The chef seemed more interested in presentation than in pleasing the palate. Prices reflected that of a 5 star restaurant in NYC but clearly did not deliver on the quality of food.

One evening I decided to have banana ice cream in the bar.
It arrived on a beautifully decorated plate. The portion was the equivalent of two golf balls. The bill with all the taxes came to
$9.44 at which time my wife and I were amazed.
The next day I decided that I just couldn't let it pass. I felt this
was over the top. I wanted to speak to the General Manager and was informed that he was off premises for a few days. His assistant listened to my story and clearly understood that I was not looking for the $10 but that I felt the GM should be made aware of this situation.

His assistant on several occasions said he would see me but, he never did. He told her to give me my $10 back and she said
she explained to him that I did not want my money back I wanted to speak with him about the situation. He was to busy to see me.

This Resort has billed itself as a 5 star quality Resort and has
failed miserably in this regard. The view and the staff are great but that's where it ends.

In discussing the Resort with other guests we did not come across any that would repeat their visit. Everyone agreed that the problem lies at the feet of management.

• Liked — The View of the Pitons
  • Disliked — The room and food
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled with family
6 Thank Gansett
London
Reviewed 28 March 2007

I had booked into this hotel for my honeymoon with my wife. On arrival, I was immediately concerned with the run down look of the place. When we got to the room, I asked where the plunge pool was and the lady pointed to a dirty looking pond on the balcony. I thought she was joking, but unfortunately she wasn't.

Given that we were honeymooners I expected a complentary bottle of champange given the price we were paying for the room. Instead we got a cheap looking bottle of wine with one glass. Lovely! Then I took a further look around the room. The bed was covered in stains, and the mosquito netting had holes in it. The fridge door has hanging off its hinges, and the glass table on the balcony was cracked and dirty.

Then there's the view. It would have been magnificent, but
unfortunately just below our balcony most of the plants were half dead, and I counted at least 10 pieces of litter. Then there's the bathroom - the spout of the sink is a bar metal emerging from a hideous artificial shell. Like the rest of the place it looked cheap and neglected. The shower was also hardly applealing. For a hotel of this rating we expected a lot more.

Now feeling in need of a drink we walked up to the bar. On our way we saw the pool, which is very run down and shabby. In the bar was one elderly couple looking throughly miserble. It didn't take long to figure out why. The chairs were all filthy and covered in stains. As for the free afternoon tea, this consisted of some very tired sandwitches under some mosquito netting again full of holes.

By now we had really had enough and asked to see the manager. He couldn't be bothered to come out and meet us, so we had to be shown to his office instead. We told him of all the problems and he seemed totally disinterested. He even had the gaul to blame the filthy state
of the bar on the fact that it is exposed to the elements, and people
had just finished lunch. What utter nonsense - lunch had finished hours ago and place was diserted.

Eventually he asked what we wanted him to do about the problems. I said that the honourable thing would be to apologise and refund our deposit, to which he replied, 'there is no honour in business.'

I think that attitude really sums up this place. The location and the view are indeed amazing, but this is probably the worst hotel in the Carribean. We ended up moving to the Discovery at Marigot Bay. Although we suffered from an unpleasant cockroach problem there, it was generally of a far higher standard with plasma tv's in all the rooms, a beautiful new pool and lovely dining room. Overall I wouldn't recommend Ladera to anyone.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — Everything else
  • Stayed March 2007
19 Thank RichmonduponThames
Boulder, CO
Reviewed 21 March 2007

We've just returned from the perfect vacation. Ladera Resort is without a doubt the most relaxed we've been on any vacation. And how can you beat that view? You can't. Besides the view, it's the warm and friendly staff that make Ladera so very very special. They are attentive without being overbearing. They're definitely FUN! The food is to die for -- we went out once but decided it wasn't worth it! Dasheene Restaurant at Ladera surely must be the number one spot on the island so we stayed there and made the most of it. Everyone should sample a little Ladera at least once in their lifetime -- you won't regret it. Undoubtedly the best in every way.

Stayed March 2007
4 Thank islandl0vers
Bucks County, PA
Reviewed 14 March 2007

I too read that Ladera was rated # 1 by CondeNast Traveler. I was soon to be married (at the time) and looking for a once in a lifetime luxury that we would likely not experience again.

I felt completely mislead and extremely frustrated mainly because of the price paid vs what we rec'd. As a honeymooner I wanted to be pampered. What we got were rude and not the least bit of a warm welcome. Our questions were met with 'oh just do this' kind of attitude. No one was the least bit helpful or concerned that we were happy or understood the property, our options, the way things worked, etc.

Upon arrival after traveling all day we were hungry and looking forward to enjoy all the luxury ammenties like room service, and being pampered. We wanted to go enjoy our beautiful room and not have to deal with sitting down at a restaurant. We tried to use our walkie talkies (there are no phones so this is the way you communciate with all services). It didn't work. We walked all the way back to the front desk where it was determined our walkie needed new batteries!! Why wouldn't they check this BEFORE a new tenant occupies the unit?? We walked all the way back and attempted to order room service. We reread the walkies directions and tried in vain to order room service. Finally, we called the front desk and explained our problem. Their only suggestion was to "try again" and "are you sure your using the right channel?". We tried again (yes we were using the right channel) and still couldn't get thru. Finally, I called back the front desk and there response was that "they must not be there now". I was flabergasted. They knew we just arrived, that we had problems with our walkie, and weI told them we were hungry and what they should have done is contact room service for us. So after all that, we had to leave our room and eat in the restaurant! The sad part is this is the way our stay began and it's only the beginning!!!

The rooms were a bit of a disappointment. I say that because what you see on the internet is not likely what you'll get in YOUR room. I expected (this may be my fault) that all the rooms have this wide open view with the bed right up front. What we got was a very small view point, half blocked by a wall that curves in towards your room/view (Room M) where the bed is waay in the back and down a few stairs - very dark.. When we expressed dissapointment they basically said 'oh well'. Only after I made a fuss and spoke with different front desk personel later that day and the next day did I finally find someone who seemed only concerned about shutting me up. When I mentioned my husband didn't want to have to pack everything up, thet said that they would do that for us; but that made him uncomfortable so I packed everything up and they moved it. The second room was all I had expected (Room O; which we were told was one that was posted on their website) and it was glorious! We enjoyed the view! They did indeed have poor water pressure and temperature issues. Only after days of freezing and offhandidly mentioning it to a serviceman we saw he came in and showed us a button that was a "heater booster" and THAT solved the problem! Why didn't someone tell us that beforehand?? I had little issue with the bugs. I have to say I hate bugs and I was overwhelmingly concerned about being bitten to death. This did not happen. You can expect, if you leave the lights on at night, that they will draw bugs, but our ceiling was high and we didn't have them flying around our heads. I was not bitten more than once in 4 days! But, we did travel from 12/3 thru 12/6 and their was a cool front there our entire stay.

Room service continued to be difficult to reach. Service at the restaurant was painfully slow. I know there was not much else to do around there but eat, but come on 2 1/2 hrs for dinner?? The wait staff was also NOT detailed and downright forgetful. Forgetting to get a soda requested and ordered at the beginning of a meal should NOT happen at a property that charges upwards of $500 plus a night. They forgot to put sauces on the side or forgot to bring them at all.

We found all of our meals (and we ate everyone of them there) were very good. We had no issues or complaints at all about the food. The lobster w/ a coconut sauce was to die for and I still think about it!!! The best cooked lobster I have every had - anywhere (and I've been to much of the Carribean).

Then there were the excursions. Incredibly overpriced and with a bit of research you find you can do these very things on your own for a fraction of the cost. If the service provided was amazing - I'd say go for it, but it was just ok.

We finally found an assistant manager (he name escapes me now) who was the only one who appeared to give a dam. Even then, it was not UNITL we gave her a bottle of wine (that we rec'd in our room upon arrival from a freind) as a thankyou on our last day did she suddenly seem ultra concerned about our stay, made a room available for us to change in (that wasn't an option earlier) and gave us comment cards and her email to contact her about all the 'problems' we had had. (We joked we should have bought them all wine on our first day!)

We found that the few times the manager/owner was on property was when when the service was better from everyone. But while the boss was away... the mice do play - or should I say 'do ignore'.

I thought the views were fantastic. I though everything else was mediocre. I didn't mind spending so much time on the property/in our room because the second room was amazing and we were on our honeymoon. The even had little DVD's player with a tiny screen that you could borrow to watch a movie.

If you are spending your hard earned money looking for an amazing location and expecting luxury service this place is NOT it. If you are looking for a breathtaking view but don't mind what comes with it - then you'll love Ladera.

I myself, still feel disenchanted with what I expected from an expensive (supposid luxury) honeymoon experience and HOPE I have the money and the opportunity to try to find it one day. Don't look for it at Ladera - it's not there.

Management has along way to go to train these employees to treat their guests like a manager is there everyday 24/7.

• Liked — The view
  • Disliked — The services
  • Stayed March 2007, travelled as a couple
18 Thank partyelf
PA
Reviewed 11 March 2007

I must admit- after reading a ton of reviews on Trip Advisor, I was a wee bit concerned about my honeymoon location. The bugs, lizards, lazy wait staff...not how I imagined what was supposed to be the most special trip of my life. All my fears were put to rest as soon as our car pulled up to the gate. Some of the staff met us at the car and escorted us to the check-in area where we were handed Ladera punch. The resort is beautiful. Just what I had hoped for and imagined all those nights I couldn't fall asleep leading up to the wedding. We stayed in suite T, and while it wasn't the largest room it was like nothing I had ever experienced. Yes, it is hard to imagine but true...there are only 3 walls. Falling asleep the first night was difficult- for me it wasn't the sound of the tree frogs as much as the idea of waking up with a lizard on my pillow. My husband woke up around 3:00 in the morning (I'm not sure if I had really fallen asleep yet) and we walked out to the plunge pool area to be greeted by one of the most amazing star filled sky that I had ever seen. This place just oozed romance. And guess what? No lizards in my bed, and no bugs caught in the netting, which draped over our four poster bed. I slept like a baby the rest of the trip. The food at Dasheen was great- not sure the best I've ever had, but I enjoyed every meal. We aren't beach people, so we split our days hanging out in our plunge pool and at the resort pool. We never had a problem getting chairs- and pretty much had the pool to ourselves every day. We did a tour one day, but felt no desire to leave Ladera. We did have a visitor or two- a few lizards holding court on the wooden beams in the room, but they never came close to us, disappeared at night and I decided that I wouldn't let anything ruin my fun. They had some sort of entertainment every night (the locals sure do love Marley). Patience is a must- I had to remind myself several times that I was there to relax and couldn;t get stressed out by the some times long breaks between courses at dinner. Everyone was very friendly- the staff, other guests and visitors from area resorts and hotels that come (by the droves) to see the views and eat at Dasheen. The views are worth the trip alone. I often found myself watching the sunset and thinking "I can't believe what I'm seeing right now." It was that beautiful. So, Ladera is not for everyone, but that's a shame because it is truly an experience that I'll value forever.

• Liked — Views
  • Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank AnyaSmith
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!