“Gorgeous resort for the laid back traveller”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 7 May 2007

My wife and I just spent 3 days at Ladera for the first part of our honeymoon. The resort is absolutely top notch if you are looking for something a little out of the ordinary. The open air suite was amazing and you can not beat the views that we had anywhere else on St Lucia. We stayed in Suite O, which is one of their standard 1 bedroom rooms. We had our private plunge pool (which was a little chilly, but quite refreshing all the same) and a gorgeous bed and bathroom. The food at Dasheene was incredible and the drinks and bar were great as well. I hightly reccommend the Ladera Punch which was a mix of pineapple. lime, lemongrass, ginger and rum.

Ladera is on the south coast of St Lucia, which is much more lush and relaxed than the north end, which is where most of the larger reposrts are located. The only complaint that I have about the place is that the tours and excursions could have been a little better organized. There were 2 tours that we wanted to take that we were told that not enough people had signed up for but we met another couple that had been interested in the same tours and they were told the same thing, even though both tours said there was only a 4 person minimum. Other than that, Ladera was amazing and I would recommend it in a heartbeat for adventurous travellers.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank DragonZim

Reviewed 7 May 2007

OUR HONEYMOON AT LADERA WAS AMAZING!!!! My wife and I are convinced that it will be hard to ever find a place quite like Ladera.

First and foremost, our room was amazing. If you can, request Villa C when making reservations. We had 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a nap room, huge living room, dining room, kitchen and a magnificent porch with the best view at the resort. Our pool was huge and the heated waterfall made it very comfortable. My wife’s quote when we walked into our room the first day…”I thought this was the restaurant!”

The top bedroom where we stayed was open air with the best view in the room. The temperature was perfect, and we had zero problems with bugs. We saw a few lizards and frogs roaming about the room at times, and birds and bats (at night time) would buzz the room at times, but it really just added to the charm of the experience.

Another thing I had reservations about going in was the cleanliness of the in-room pool. My fears were put to rest as a maintenance man came to clean our pool EVERY DAY!

The food was top-notch. We opted for the all-inclusive package for convenience, and we couldn’t have been happier. Breakfast and lunch we usually ordered to our room, and the service was fast and the food was always very hot. The best part about the all-inclusive was that they would stock our fridge with anything we wanted (which for the most part was Piton beers, my new favorite!).

Dinners we ate at the restaurant, and we never had anything we didn’t like. The desserts were my favorite, and my waist line is now showing it.

The beaches were great. We liked Jalousie better than Anse Chastanet b/c the service was better, but both had amazing snorkeling.

The guided tours were great as well, and one day we just hired a local water taxi to take us around the island b/c he charged us half what Ladera did for the same type thing. (that would be my number one recommendation, some of the prices for the tours arranged by Ladera were sort of steep)

I really can’t think of much to complain about. The whole experience was unbelievable. I highly recommend staying at Ladera if you're in the mood to relax at a place with perhaps the most amazing view in the world. And if you are in the mood to relax, one week isn't enough! We could have stayed even longer.

3  Thank GaAtltraveler
Reviewed 6 May 2007

We just got back from our Honeymoon in St Lucia. We began our trip with three nights at Ladera and then headed to the other side of the island to the Sandals Grande. Ladera was a good way to begin our honeymoon after the stress of the wedding. We were able to relax a little bit there because it was so secluded and quiet. However, this was also the reason why we only spent three nights there because that was enough time to relax before heading to a much different type of resort. Most of the resort had gotten married on the same day as us and were on their honeymoon as well.

We were in Room Q -- Gros Piton Suite. We initially were disappointed with our room because it didn't look like the picture you see on the website. However, after seeing some of the other rooms and realizing what kind of view we had, we began to love the room. We had a small pool but it was a little too cold to really spend some time in. We had a nice large area for the lounge chairs and were able to get some nice sun there in the afternoon. The bed was down some steps and in the back of the room. Again, something we were a little disappointed in but realized it was still a nice room and we were able to see the Gros Piton from the bed anyway. You will probably be up really early cause once the sun comes up, there is no shade to pull down! But it is nice to wake up to some beautiful sunshine!

At night the bugs were not that bad, just make sure to keep your netting closed and the lights off at night. They do supply you bug spray in the room. We did not have problems with the bugs while we were there but it is important to remember you are basically sleeping outside so just be aware. You will have some visitors in your room but they are harmless. We had a couple of lizards join us but they were very cute :) The birds will come in but the resort gives you a water gun to get rid of them if you are sitting around.

The resort is one long row of rooms. You will not even know there is another room in the resort when you are in your room. You have complete privacy despite the open wall. Something that we loved about the resort.

Ladera has a pretty small pool but it was never crowded as there are not so many people at the resort anyway. The infinity pool and the deck have amazing views of the pitons. We enjoyed just sitting out on the deck and relaxing there.

We did one trip to the Jalousie Beach. It was about a ten minute shuttle ride down the hill. Not so bad and the bus was on time both ways. The Jalousie resort provides Ladera guests to use their beach chairs so that was convenient. There is so GREAT snorkling right off the beach so definitely take advantage. Ask Ladera staff before you leave to borrow the equipment. We heard that the other beach had even better snorkling but we didn't make it there. THere is food and drink service on the beach but remember you have to pay, even if you have the all inclusive plan at Ladera. We didnt eat down there but another couple commented on the pricey food.

The food at Dasheene was very good but after three nights at the same restaurant, we got a little tired of it. One suggestion is to get the all inclusive plan when you go there. We did and definitely got our money's worth. The thing that was annoying was that despite having the all inclusive plan, you were still required to sign off on all your drinks and food when you leave. Tips are not included so either tip cash or write it into the bill. When you leave, the only thing that will show up on your bill will be the tips. From signing off of everything, we realized just how expensive the food and drinks were so we were grateful to have the all inclusive plan. Dinner alone was almost $200 for two of us. Just beware the all inclusive plan is not like going to an all inclusive resort. They do limit you to one entree for each meal. It was fine for us but others may not realize and order more! Make sure to make your dinner reservations early and ask for a good table up in front with a view. They book these tables up quickly. Telling them you are on your honeymoon doesnt help either as the whole resort seemed to be too!

We did one excursion from the resort -- the sunset cruise. While it was nice to take a ride, the boat was small. It was like a small water taxi instead of the large catamaran that we expected. One saving part of that trip was the spotting of dolphins while we were out.

Overall, I think we would definitely recommend Ladera but you just need to know what you are going to. Go for the view but know its not that active up there so relax and maybe head to a more active resort for the rest of your trip. The view is incredible and we hope to go back, maybe as an anniversary trip!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Deb728
Reviewed 18 April 2007

We went to Ladera for 2 nights in late March for the first portion of our Honeymoon.
We absolutely loved it! We found 2 nights to be about right, as we were eager for a bit more activity by the end. But I can see how for some people a week wouldn't be enough!

Accomodations:
We had reserved a suite but were upgraded to a villa. Turns out it was villa A1, the closest to the pool and restaurant. At first we were a little concerned about what we perceived to be a lack of privacy but once we went to the bar for a drink we realized no one would know we were in there. You can't even tell there is a room there, really. We decided the added fun of the villa was more important than the occasional noise due to the location so we decided to keep the room. However, if you want maximum quiet and privacy I suggest a room further down. Once we relaxed a bit the charm and unbelievable scenery had us completely won over. The room was huge, way more than two people need. The upstairs bed was larger and had a better breeze, but we just couldn't pass up the view from the downstairs bedroom for our morning view. Both bathrooms were nice, but the upstairs bathroom has a huge shower area that is down in the floor that was very cool. The natural light from the skylights made the upstairs bathroom very pleasant as well. Wait a few minutes and there is plenty of hot water.

We weren't there long enough to utilize the dining area but it felt very grand to have it just the same!

The beds were comfortable. The mattresses were not the "dream bed" type, but decent enough. The pillows were exceptionally comfortable. The oversized towels and bathrobes were very nice as well.

The decor in the villa was incredible, from the fresh flowers to the carvings.

The pool was warm once the heater was run sufficient time. It always had leaves in it but that is obvious since it is surrounded by plants. They're just leaves, and a skimmer was provided. It was so luxurious to have a private pool!!!

We never saw any bugs except the one time we left the night light on, it attracted some moths. And a few of course in the pool but just the odd gnat or beetle, nothing icky.

Dining:
The food at Dasheene was exceptional. I had the Shrimp Dasheene and my husband had the Herb Beef and he said it was the best he's ever had. I tried it and thought it was very good, not my personal favorite but our tastes are different. He was actually disappointed that the next night was the local cuisine buffet because he wanted to order the same thing again! The buffet was excellent, however.
Breakfast was wonderful, everything is included. I had a phenomenal omelette both mornings, and of course plenty of fruit!
The hors d'ouevres at the manager's cocktail party were excellent as well!

Beach:
The beach at Jalousie was lovely; the shuttle was timely. The snorkeling at the marine park there was very nice. The bar service from the jalousie restaruant was really wonderful!

Service:
I wasn't sure what to expect based on reviews, but the service here was absolutely top notch. It was apparent the staff truly valued working there and enjoyed it, because the level of professionalism and genuine friendliness was amazing.

For example, while walking through the botanical garden, the shuttle driver in his spare time (sorry I have forgotten his name by now!) took the time to show us some of the plants we had missed and gave us the full story on vanilla pollenation and sour sop juice!

We had expected to wait a long time in between courses at dinner, but they were very prompt and very adept at keeping water glasses filled, etc. The drinks at the bar were excellent and bar service was reasonably prompt as well. We went in expecting a laid back atmosphere and it was that, however very professional. We never got frustrated waiting for anything. The room was kept very clean and the pool was cleaned daily.

The Island:
As beautiful as you could possibly expect. We had cloudy weather for some reason but it was still tropical and a nice escape from the cold weather at home. And the people here are unbelievably friendly. Such a refreshing experience from the "too busy to say good morning" attitude you encounter at home (U.S.)

It's hard to say whether our experience was different than others or if the resort has made an effort to improve a few aspects. At the other resort we stayed at we found that everyone in the tourism industry here in St. Lucia regards Ladera as the Premier resort here. We could see why. I hope we someday can return to this amazing place.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aletamarie
Reviewed 16 April 2007

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. This place is heaven on earth. The scenery, comfotable bed, plunge pool and service all wonderful.
We married young and waited 25 years to go on a trip like this and admit many of the recent reviews worried us.
We traveled with friends who were not as happy with there room and Ladera staff was happy to show them another which was very much appreciated. We had the Petite Piton room N and other then thin walls, we were taken back by the beauty and comfort.
I would consider upgrading next time to a little bigger suite.
I felt safe, ate & drank anything and never felt sick. Food outstanding. Enjoy the great beauty of the world and don't expect it to be commercialize. Go to Sandels for that.
Tips -Head to the Food Market for Snacks and Beverages for your own happy hour in your room.

1  Thank GJMO
Reviewed 5 April 2007

We have just had 3 days at Ladera as part of a silver wedding celebration. Although we enjoyed our time there, the experience was patchy. The Petit Piton suite was small but adequate. The plunge pool was too cold to use but the stars were lovely and I liked the noise of the frogs.

We had partly chosen Ladera for the food and were so disappointed initially that were contemplating eating elsewhere, despite the fact that we had paid for full board. It was difficult to drink wine by the glass with the meal as it tended to arrive after the relevant course.
However, the lunches were much better and fresher tasting than dinner although the slowness of service made it difficult to get the afternoon shuttle to the beach. Full board is better value if you want to stay at the hotel but not if you want to do other things. Food seemed to be better when Orlando, the chef, was around.

The whole place is quite quirky and not for those who want everything just right. However the setting is fantastic and we much preferred Soufriere to Castries. It is easy to walk to Sulphur Springs from their and if you go late on, you have the place to yourselves. If you want to visit other places, it is cheaper and more flexible to do it yourself although we did enjoy the company of our rainforest guide. Snorkelling at Jalousie was excellent although there were some tiny jellyfish.

Reviewed 4 April 2007

My wife and I just returned from an 8 day 7 night stay at Ladera.
We first heard of the hotel through a cable travel show "Caribbean Escapes". Received brochures from their
booking agent in Atlanta, GA. Based on the TV show and the brochures this certainly looked like the kind of small upscale resort that we prefer.

We arrived and were upgraded to a two bedroom villa A1.
Initially pleased of the upgrade but once we were brought to the villa and were given the opportunity to check it out our excitement quickly changed to disappointment. There was no view, a plunge pool that was useless. Our bedroom was two flights up and so dark and small we couldn't even get to the far side of the bed. In addition there was a small closet and no dresser so unpacking was not an option. I immedately requested the room that we had initially booked. They were very accommodating and by 8:30 the next morning we were in our new room R. The views were everything that the brochure pictured. The plunge pool was
large enough but cold and in serious need of sprucing up.

The room, although brigher than A1 was still too dark, dimly lit, dingy and clearly in need of an update. If you call yourself a 5 star resort and charge accordingly ($725 a night) it is expected that the room reflect the price charged.

Our dining expectations were based on the fact that the Dasheene was five star quality. The food at best was adequate. The chef seemed more interested in presentation than in pleasing the palate. Prices reflected that of a 5 star restaurant in NYC but clearly did not deliver on the quality of food.

One evening I decided to have banana ice cream in the bar.
It arrived on a beautifully decorated plate. The portion was the equivalent of two golf balls. The bill with all the taxes came to
$9.44 at which time my wife and I were amazed.
The next day I decided that I just couldn't let it pass. I felt this
was over the top. I wanted to speak to the General Manager and was informed that he was off premises for a few days. His assistant listened to my story and clearly understood that I was not looking for the $10 but that I felt the GM should be made aware of this situation.

His assistant on several occasions said he would see me but, he never did. He told her to give me my $10 back and she said
she explained to him that I did not want my money back I wanted to speak with him about the situation. He was to busy to see me.

This Resort has billed itself as a 5 star quality Resort and has
failed miserably in this regard. The view and the staff are great but that's where it ends.

In discussing the Resort with other guests we did not come across any that would repeat their visit. Everyone agreed that the problem lies at the feet of management.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled with family
6  Thank Gansett
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 5 in Cap Estate

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!