“Totally amazing!!”
Review of Ladera Resort

Ladera Resort
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 31 July 2007

We stayed at Ladera for the first 3 days of our honeymoon and loved it. We were in dream suite X2, which was really gorgeous. The pool (including a swing) and dining area were on the ground floor, and then the bedroom, bathroom, and sitting area were on the top floor. We couldn’t have been happier. I had NO bug bites the whole time, and the lizards and birds were not a problem.

We did not go with the meal plan, and were really thankful we didn’t. Although we ate all of our meals and Ladera and ordered bottles of wine, stocked our fridge, and drank other cocktails while we were there, our total bill was only about half of what the all-inclusive would have cost us. Between the huge breakfasts, the snacks at afternoon tea, and the portions at dinner—we were totally satisfied. Although it is expensive, it wasn’t anything more than we would expect to pay at a nice restaurant in our home town. We also drank plenty! There were plenty of reasonably priced wines on the menu. We also cut down costs getting a bottle of rum before getting to the resort, and then mixing our own poolside drinks once we had the fridge stocked with cokes.

I can agree with some of the complaints voiced in other reviews, but I still think it’s the perfect place to spend a honeymoon!! As soon as we saw the huge van piled high with people going to a generic Sandals, we knew we had made the right choice to go somewhere that is really unique! Read these reviews carefully (we did, and took a lot of advice such as Dramamine for the taxi trip!) and decide if it’s right for you.

6  Thank snarc
Write a ReviewReviews (1,302)

Reviewed 9 July 2007

I need to address this complaint as I read it consistenly.

"The plunge pool in the room is freezing" - The waterfall that you turn on, HEATS THE POOL. We were there 3 nights in which we left the waterfall running the majority of the time. By the 3rd night it was practically a hot tub and we had to turn the waterfall off to let it cool down.

With that out of the way, this was the most amazing place my wife and I have ever seen. I cannot imagine a more beautiful place and I dream about going back constantly.

Please feel free to contact me with any concerns and I will give you an honest opinion. Please don't let negative reviews sway you from this resort as you will regret it. I had concerns after reading some of these ridiculously negative reviews and worried until we got there. It was all for not and I could have gone without all the strain that I ruined the honeymoon.

Ladera is everything it claims to be.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Peaco
Reviewed 25 June 2007

My husband and I had the most amazing honeymoon at Ladera and cannot wait until we can go back someday! Amazing food at Dashene, we tried the Mango Tree one night which is down the mountain a bit...huge mistake, Dashene is unbeatable! Loved Jalousie Beach and the Pitons, the plunge pool was oh so much fun! And the view...breathtaking, we thought we were in a dream the entire time. We love you and miss you Ladera!!!!

• Stayed: July 2006, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ebf7106
Reviewed 23 June 2007

After hearing great reviews about Ladera from Conde Nast, we immediately decided that St. Lucia would be our honeymoon destination. We thought Ladera looked unique and it would be an incredibly memorable place to spend our honeymoon....lucky for us, we were right!

When we arrived, Ladera staff greeted us and we were lead to the check in desk. We were given some amazing punch, I have forgotten the name of it, but it was really good! After checking in, we were lead to our room, Dream Suite #3. Our breath was immediately taken away because we could not believe we would be staying in this room for a week... it really was a DREAM suite.

Our room had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, an eating area, a lounging swing over the plunge pool and a spiral stair case. We stayed in the upstairs bedroom during most of our stay. While some people have complained about the mosquito netting around the bed, we kinda liked it. It kept the bugs away and provided some intimacy.

The restaurant, Dasheene, was amazing! We loved the Shrimp Dasheene & the chocolate mousse! I had the Red Snapper and it was very tasty. Dasheene is EXPENSIVE, if I could have done anything differently on our honeymoon... we would have gotten the all inclusive plan. Breakfest was the best meal of the day & we only ate lunch there once, but it was still pretty good! We are not big drinkers, but we loved the Coconut drinks! We even brought back some Coconut Rum & Bounty Rum! My husband loved the Piton beer.

We went on a few excursions. We did NOT like traveling to Castries. The water taxi ride was amazing, but the city itself was very dirty, loud and the people were pushy... nothing like the tranquility of Ladera. We ate lunch at Marigot Bay and that was lovely. We also got to snorkel in the middle of the ocean, that was an experience that we won't forget. Our favorite excursion was going Horseback riding. We literally went through the jungle. We ate at a plantation and the food was SO good! It was homecooked food from a St. Lucian woman. Our tour guide was very laid back and informative. He picked a coconut out for us, broke it in half and let us try it. I had never liked coconut until I had that one!

We liked both Anse Chastenet (sp?) & Jalousie beaches. We spent an entire day at Jalousie. One warning: the food is REALLY expensive. We liked the snorkeling at Jalousie best.

We had an incredible massage at the spa & it was so relaxing after the plane ride to get there!

Lastly, Ladera is NOT for everyone. My husband and I are adventurous, go with the flow people. The plunge pool was FREEZING & it did not get fixed, but we didn't mind b/c we didn't really use it. The service at the restaurant was slow, but again, we didn't mind b/c it gave us time to talk. If given the chance, I think my husband and I would return to Ladera! Hope this helps!

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
9  Thank MrsMusic20
Reviewed 4 June 2007

I had read about this resort many years ago in Women's Wear Daily. Heard people like Oprah and Bill Gates stayed here so when we had the chance my husband and I jumped at the opportunity. What prompted me to write this finally was the article in the WSJ June 1st. I got a kick out of the guy complaining about the tree frog noise. Give me a break! But we did have a problem and it wasn't good. As previously reported by others the staff could be flaky, but we were so happy with the location that we chose to ignore pretty issues like the temp of plunge pool or slow service. We are on vacation to rest not complain. If I was expecting white gloves and butler's I'd have stayed at Round Hill in Jamaica.

The problem we had did not happen until early in the morning we were scheduled to depart for airport (around 4:30 AM). We were standing with two other couples waiting for the van when one of the men noticed all his cash was missing from wallet. The rest of us checked for our money and what a surprise. We all had been robbed. Who knew we were leaving that day and at that time? I wonder. Can you say inside job. My husband is sort of hard of hearing and I'm kinda shortsighted so I guess we missed whoever climbed up the steep cliff into our open sided rooms.Also there is an obvious privacy issue here as this is a romantic honeymoon kind of place so thief must have got an eye and earfull before we finally fell asleep. I must say they were thorough as I really pride myself on the ingenious places where I hide my cash when traveling. As we now all were broke bigger problem arose. You need money (cash) to pay departure tax at airport. No one is up in office at this time of day so one of the two other men kicked up a big fuss, which finally prompted one of the night guards (I use term loosely) to go find a manager. We were all asked how much we were missing and did receive funds from the safe. After we returned home we did get a follow up apology from manager so I never bothered to tell story till now. Just as a warning, maybe guests should use travel checks here and keep valaubles in hotel's safe. I hope they offer this service. I've traveled all over world and must say this is first time I've ever been robbed in my room. And one more note, manager's message did say it was inside job and employee had been terminated, hopefully more than one since someone had to clue him in which guests were checking out at such an early hour. We were just lucky our fellow guest checked his wallet before we left. I'm sure others had a bad time reaching for a tip at the end of the ride 2 hours later at airport. Stay safe!

• Stayed: May 2003, travelled as a couple
11  Thank inquiringmind817
Reviewed 4 June 2007

We looked forward to our trip to Ladera for months. I had done extensive research and had concerns based on other reviews. Our experience was perfect and we loved it!

The ride from UVF to Ladera is about 40 minutes and it is rough and winding. I felt a little ill but I believe it was because I hadn't eaten much that day and I was warm/exhausted from traveling. Our experience on the beach shuttles and in town were the same rough winding roads. I would personally not want to drive a vehicle there myself. Hairpin turns, hills, speed bumps, people walking in the roads, etc….

We were promptly greeted at Ladera and lead to the reception area where we had to fill out a few papers. We were given a warm mint towel and refreshing drink. While walking to our room, I was disappointed to see that we did not get Suite O like I had requested. We were in Suite P which was very beautiful and were later able to move to Suite O for our last night (we stayed for a total of 5 nights). I will explain the differences in each room later. Our host told us/showed us all of the information we needed once we got to the room but at this point, I was a little overwhelmed trying to take everything in and didn't even pay attention to how the walkie talkie worked. I tried to mess with it later but in the end, we never used it. It wasn't a problem for us to stop by reception since it was on the way to the pool, restaurant, etc....

I will post pics later, but here is a description of each room:

Suite P: nice view but tree blocked most of Petit Piton, but I do realize this is for privacy. Shower is beautiful mosaic tiles. Disliked shutter style door as it could be seen in from outside but all I did was hang a towel up over it (some other rooms have this kind of door too but not all). Also some cheesy style patio furniture (I moved it for most of the pics). One view of this room is flashed on their website under the Petit Piton heading.

Suite O: bigger view and lots more cross breezes. Open shower which was unique. Better view from bathroom. Bed was a bit comfier. All lounge furniture was beautiful. All views of this room is on their website but under the Gros Piton heading (don't know why since this is considered a Petit Piton room).

Each room had beautiful woodwork, conch shell faucets, etc…. Very unique details to be appreciated.

I will address some of the concerns I had read in other reviews:

Cold plunge pools: Our pool in room P was cool the first night but every night after it was nice and comfortable. They turned the waterfall on and off for us every morning/night (as it was pretty loud to sleep with) and someone added water and cleaned it everyday. The pool in room O was cool but since we were only there one night, we didn't concern ourselves with asking about it. One cheesy thing in each pool was the floating duck chlorine dispenser. We are pool owners and I think they could come up with something a little more "elegant" for the type of hotel it is.

Cold showers and no pressure: We had great, hot, strong showers in both rooms. I found out all of the water is solar heated so turn it on and wait a bit for it to warm up.

Slow and unresponsive staff: We had great experiences with everyone. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating. Everyday, workers were keeping up with the grounds (planting flowers, replacing light bulbs, etc...). When we moved rooms, they came and got us at the pool an hour earlier than they had told us and quickly helped us move. We think we may have seen the owner one day so perhaps that is why everyone was at the top of their game as I have read in other reviews.

Noise levels: We loved the sounds of nature at night. Most every night there is entertainment at the bar and if we were in our room, we could hear it faintly. If you were in a room closer to the restaurant area, I could see getting annoyed with the noise. As far as hearing other guests, we did not. The only thing I really heard was the staff knocking on doors (on rooms on each side of us) to deliver room service or housekeeping. There is a road behind the back of the rooms so we did hear traffic on there from time to time. I did hear as we were leaving that they are building 2 new dream suites but I never saw or heard anything while I was there.

We had beautiful visitors everyday - hummingbirds, lizards, butterflies, etc..... I never had to use the bug spray and I didn't get one bite the entire time!

The grounds are a little hard to maneuver in areas. Uneven stones, steps, inclines, etc…. Wearing platform sandals didn’t help!

We went to Jalousie Beach and Anse Chastanet beaches on the shuttles. Both are very nice and the snorkeling at each is great. Taking the water taxi to Anse is worth it just to get the view of the Pitons from afar and the bat cave! Be sure to stop at Zaka masks on the way to Jalousie to meet Simon and to buy a nice piece of St. Lucian art.

The only tour we did was the Volcano, Botanical Gardens and Waterfalls. It says on the website and in the brochures that this is $15 per person. It is – you have to bring that $30 with you to pay your entries into each park. But what they didn’t include in there was that another $40 will be added to your bill for the taxi ride. The guide at the volcano did not ask us for a tip since she gets paid from the park. But at the Botanical Gardens/Diamond Waterfall our driver told us if we choose to have a guide, they would expect a tip. We ventured out on our own. At the Toraille Waterfall, we did have a guide and gave him a tip. This is the waterfall you can swim in – awesome!

Food at Dasheene was good – we never had a bad meal. Some dishes exceeded others, but all was good. We didn’t get the all-inclusive, but we never ate anywhere else. Breakfast is included with the room and every morning they give you a wonderful fresh fruit platter and pastry basket with fresh jams. Fresh fruit juice and smoothies and then you can order what you want from the menu. We never ate lunch there as we were always out for the day at the beach and also never made it to the afternoon tea and snacks. We stopped at the market one day for our own snacks and drinks that got us through our days. We were able to keep our dinner tab to about $100 or less each night with drinks. All tropical drinks are $7 which I think is fair compared to the States. Salads and Appetizers run $10-$12. Entrees are $25-$37. Desserts are $10-$12. We are not big 3 and 4 course eaters so we were happy most nights with an entree and a few drinks. Another thing we did one night was each get an appetizer and then a dessert and that was perfect. The chocolate mousse is to die for and I had it 3 times while we were there! They bring you a nice bread basket with excellent dipping oil/spices. Also, there is a “taste” of something each night – a fancy appetizer – so I don’t see the need to have to actually order an appetizer. The menu is the same each night however, they have their specials each night as well. On this special menu, they have a deal where you can get 3 items for $55 (there was a 4 item option too but I can’t remember how much that was). That night I did have an appetizer, entrée and dessert. I was stuffed! Chef Orlando came out one night to stop at each table. There is entertainment each night after dinner (except for Sunday nights) and the staff and Chef Orlando can be seen enjoying and even interacting with the entertainment.

On our 4th night, the power went out just as we sat down for dinner. The island does have power outages, but they are for the most part planned and communicated ahead of time. We weren’t bothered eating by candlelight but if I were someone coming there for dinner that night from another resort, I would have been a little upset. As far as I know, they did not offer any discounts because of this. Power came on about 2 hours later. One thing we didn’t know before we went too: they charge and extra $10 on top of the 18% for each room service order. We did not get room service. Tuesday night is the dinner buffet (we were not there for it since we arrived Wednesday) and Sunday is the buffet lunch.

All in all, we loved our trip and would certainly consider going back to Ladera! It is pricey, but worth it for a truly unique experience!

7  Thank peacockfairy
Reviewed 1 June 2007

My husband and I spent our honeymoon at Ladera. Anyone considering this resort should know most, if not all, of the guests are on their honeymoon or traveling for an anniversary. This really is a "couples resort".

After reading several negative reviews, I was somewhat concerned that we had selected the wrong resort. But, immediately upon arriving at the resort, i knew it was the perfect choice!!! The staff promptly met us at the "drop off point" and carried out luggage to our room while we checked in!

When we got to our room (Room Q), my concerns were erased. The view was unbelievable and the room was neat, clean, unique, etc. (i could go on and on, but won't).

I had originally had concerns about bugs, birds, and other critters entering my room. However, I can assure you this is not a problem. I am not the "outdoorsy" type, and quite squeemish where crawly things are concerned, but I did not have any problems. There were a few months, but no more than in a room in any other tropical resort. I saw 2 small lizards and a few miniature tree frogs, and that is all. The only bug bites I got were at the beach, none resulted from bugs in the room!!

The staff is incredible - we had no problems. Everyone from reception, to the pool cleaner, to the delivery man was incredibly friendly and helpful! The waitstaff and bartenders were on "carribean time" and not terribly quick, but service was always great, just not overly quick!! (but Merton is the best)And, I can't overstate how friendly everyone was!

Dasheene restaurant is fabulous! The menu offers something for everyone and Chef Orlando truly is a genuis as far as carribean cuisine is concerned. Also, the chef is friendly, making a point to speak to customers during the meal, and really does listen to suggestions, etc. If you plan on spending a majority of your time on the resort, I recommend the "all-inclusive" plan, as meals can get expensive. Plus, it is nice to not have to worry about paying for meals and drinks while on vacation!

We went on several of the trips, all of which we scheduled through Ladera. We found the prices of the trips to be the same no matter whether they were booked through Ladera or off the resort. The Fish Friday is a MUST!! Also, I recommend the Martinique trip. But, I was told all of the trips were great and I didn't hear any complaints!

I highly recommend Ladera for any romantic trip!! It truly was the perfect honeymoon thanks to a beautiful resort staffed by welcoming people.

• Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
1 mi away
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Ladera Resort? Share your experiences!