“A+ on privacy, view and food....but a D on professionalism of the reception desk”

Stonefield Villa Resort
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 11 September 2011

The best part: The privacy, the view and the food - really great on all. The restaurant food is so good and the staff there is great too. Anetta and Alex were so fun and professional. The worst part...the flying bugs and the near heart attack that Karen at the front desk almost gave me when she called the restaurant and interrupted my dinner to tell me I had a "phone call from a gentleman"...and that was it. I was so freaked out, all I could think of was it was someone from home who was calling me with an emergency. She could have mentioned ahead of time that it was the guy from the beach area looking for a receipt that I had signed and left the wrong copy when I left. That would have made for a totally different outcome. I was so upset, and when I went to the front desk after dinner to suggest she not do it that way again, she really never apologized like she meant it. I just didn’t get the feeling she cared about it. I also asked that she have the manager call me on the issue, and he never did. I assume she never told him, but who knows. She also forgot to book our airport transfers when we called ahead of time. When we talked to her about a week or so before we left, we were told someone would be waiting with our name on a sign when we arrived at the airport, that didn’t happen. We had to find a taxi on our own, which luckily was easy and Stennis did a great job getting us to the hotel safe and worked with the hotel to charge it to them as it was supposed to have been done.

As far as everything else, my boyfriend and I stayed at the Hibiscus Villa from September 4th thru September 9th, 2011 and the total trip was great. First, the villas are nice; they are quaint, but very private and really have everything you need. The view was also really great; our villa had a fantastic view of the water and the piton, as well as a pool. If you get a villa with a pool then you can really enjoy privacy, but I think my boyfriend was a better pool caretaker than the one there. He added water when we arrived so it would cycle because it was a little cloudy, then it cleared right up. The villa is nice, but the shower is an outdoor shower. It was actually cool, but a little strange at first. Also, the villa sleeping area does have air, but not all of the villas do so keep that in mind when you book. The menu at the restaurant changes every day, but everything I ordered was great. A few nights I didn’t really care for main course items on the menu and when I asked for something different they always accommodated me and it tasted great. The breakfast was included on our booking and it was always good too. There are no TV's in the room and really no internet connection except at the restaurant area, which was ok with us. All in all I would stay there again, but I would be very careful that I didn’t rely on Karen at the front desk, but Suzanne at the desk is great.

We also took two tours, our second day we hiked the Gros Piton with John from Paradise Excursions. I would highly recommend him if you want to do the hike. He showed up right on time with a taxi and two mangos for us. He was dressed nicely and spoke English well. He was friendly and the food after the hike that he provided was so good. The hike is tough, but he is patient if you need to rest. He does it several days a week, so he never even broke a sweat, amazing! We also booked a sailboat for the two of us for the day with Mystic Man Tours and Andrew who was our captain was great. We left Soufriere at 10 am and went to Marigot Bay, had lunch and shopped and then came back to the Jade Mountain area to snorkel (but...heads up that the snorkel gear wasn’t great). Then we sailed for a bit and had champagne at sunset. Very nice trip.

The first day and the last day we went to the beach that is "free" to hotel guests, its at the Jalouise hotel. There are shuttles that take you to the hotel and its just about a 5 minute drive. The beach is very nice, but its about $20 a chair to hang out there. There is a bar and a restaurant there and the service and food was good. The second day the waiter at the Jalouise tried to tell us that we could only rent the green chairs (not the good chairs), but we told him that we werent told that and the first day we sat in the white chairs, so he didnt say any more. You can also snorkel there and it was great. The Stonefield has snorkel gear that can be used at no charge and there was alot to see, we enjoyed it. The Jalousie is also a nice place, we would have stayed there but it was booked. We walked around a bit and it was nice. It may not have been as private, but was beautiful. If I do go back to St. Lucia I will probably try to stay there next time.

Room Tip: Only some rooms have air, so be sure to check
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 5 September 2011

Just got back from a 6 night trip to St Lucia where we spent 3 nights in the North at Windjammer Landing and 3 nights in the South at Stonefield Estate Villa Resort.

We were put in the Casurina Villa and had absolutely no complaints whatsoever. It was large, had AC (def needed in the summer) a huge porch with a good sized plunge pool. The maid service was very efficient and we would always come back to a super clean room after our days out exploring the local beach, zipline adventure, or town.

The one and only restaurant, the Mango Tree is where all meals are served. For a small fee, you can also have your meal delivered to your room. We did that for dinner one night and just took it easy and relaxed with a bottle of Proseco. Every meal we had there was awesome, but there are other local spots, should you wish to venture out and eat elsewhere.

Ernie, the manager is such a pleasant guy. Always in a good mood and joking around, you could always hear his laughter coming from somewhere. He will happily set up an excursion for you, recommend a restaurant (he sent us to Gee's in town and it was amazing) or answer any questions that may arise during your trip.

My only hesitation that I had before I booked was that they did not have their own beach. All that was put aside once we saw how close Jalouise actually was. I'm taking about a true 7 min ride or so. Perhaps less....There is also a local zipline spot and some waterfalls, all within walking distance.

This resort is a place where you will not want to leave after you have been there for more than 24 hours. It is tranquil, peaceful and romantic. Each villa is very private and the dense tropical foliage creates your own private area for whatever you wish to do. We'll be back, Ernie!

Any questions, just contact me and one final word of advice......

Try to do the North and the South, they are black and white. You should definitely see both sides to the island. We did 3 nights in each and didn't feel rushed at all. (North is more built up, more amenities, restaurants, hotels, casino but the South is truly stunning, isolated, and much more romantic. Jalouise Beach is one of the top 10 beaches in the world.)

Room Tip: Casaurina was amazing, but they all looked good.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
stonevillas, General Manager at Stonefield Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2011

thanks for the kind and positive words. we will pass it on to our employees. i know you guys had fun and i am so waiting for your return.
god bless and keep intouch
regards

Reviewed 24 August 2011

I have done a disservice to the great staff of Stonefield by taking so long to post my review. My husband and I spent the first part of our honeymoon at Stonefield, and the second half at Sandals Grande. The combination was perfect for us, because it allowed us to see both sides of the island, and to both COMPLETELY relax (Stonefield) before doing any kind of excursions and typical resort-type stuff (Sandals). Stonefield was not only the best part of our honeymoon, but hands down the best place we have ever stayed (and we like to travel!).

First, our honeymoon was almost ruined because I somehow lost my passport (!!!) and didn't notice until packing the night before. After staying up all night tearing up the house, I had to schedule an early-morning emergency trip to the Passport Agency (thank goodness for living in the DC area!), cancel and re-schedule our flights, and cancel the first night at Stonefield. They told me (per their policy) that we would still be responsible for it. We had to take planes, trains, and automobiles to make it to St. Lucia (including an overnight in Philly) and missed the first day and a half. We arrived at night, and couldn't see much around our villa - Flambuoyant. We stepped out onto the porch the next morning to heaven. This place is BREATHTAKING. And, the staff was amazing. Not only did they NOT charge us at check-out for the night we missed, but they allowed us to move to another villa and spend the afternoon there (someone was checking into ours, so we could not stay there) rather than having to leave early after arriving so late the night before. I wish I could remember the name of it, but it is right next door and sits a bit higher on the mountain.

Flambuoyant was perfect. Because we got to see 2 villas and compare, I know that I personally liked the privacy that Flambuoyant offered. (My husband liked the second villa better - though it escapes me why). It rained that second day, and I spent the whole afternoon curled up in a towel on the hammock, listening to the rain and looking at the pitons and ocean.

My husband and I work a lot, and cannot often get away for long trips. So it speaks volumes that the place we would choose to go for our next rare 1 week off would be Stonefield again. We did stop at the store on the way there and got beer and snacks (that we enjoyed on our porch the next day). Mango Tree breakfast is amazing - get the mango pancakes. We also loved the tea "cups" and bought some to bring home so we can be nostalgic every once in a while. I am almost hesitant to post this, for fear that we will not be able to get reservations the next time. But this place is too good not to give the review it deserves. I just received a Groupon deal for Stonefield yesterday...I'm pretty sure it is a sign.

Oh - I should add in the interest of full disclosure that we did have a gecko in our bathroom. I'm not a "creature" person, but it honestly didn't bother me at all. It kind of added to the rustic charm of the villas and outdoor shower.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank amh0918

we are happy you enjoyed your stay with us. thank you for a great review we hope to see ya soon.
regards

Reviewed 19 August 2011

I stayed here in 2004 and based on the reviews I've read, it looks like little has changed. My villa had a great deck and hammock overlooking the Pitons. Mix this view with a sunset and no crowds and it was a great find. The staff and owners were very friendly. Although this is not beach front property, the accessible beach is great.

There is a great restaurant, on the beach, that I would suggest visiting. I can't remember its name, but it was a small place, owned by a colorful guy with a lot of great stories with wonderful food. Since it is not very accessible (you have to walk across the beach to get there) it is mainly frequented by sailors. We were the only people dining there that night. Fresh seafood, garden vegetables, and fresh fruit were bought specifically for us.

Also, another great tip if you want some local color, is to take the public transport from Soufriere to Castries (sp?). It is a tight fit in the mini bus with some tight turns, but it was a lot of fun. I think the round trip was less than $10. Much less expensive than the excursions and with a little more adventure!

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jdhawk
Reviewed 18 August 2011

This place is wonderful. The reviews don't lie. When I was extensively reading the reviews of all the hotels on Trip Advisor, this place seemed to have no bad reviews. If it did have a questionable review, there was a response from management (which means a lot). Anyway, I am so HAPPY that my fiancé and I stayed here.

The villa: We stayed in the Orchid. Our view of the mountain was incredible. We kept saying that we could travel the world and never have another view like this again. The pictures don’t lie. Everywhere you look is beauty! The villa itself was amazing. Having our own pool was incredible. The kitchen (with it’s granite countertops), the semi outside shower, hammock, rocking chair and four poster bed was fantastic and added to the romance of the place. The villas also come with a cell phone that you carry with you wherever you go. You call the hotel at any hour, no matter where you are and they will help with anything from a restaurant recommendation, to getting a cab or a boat home at 2 AM. I felt safe knowing they were always there for us if we needed them.

The restaurant: The food was great. Particularly lunch. I never thought that one of the best burgers I ever had would be in the hotel restaurant in the Caribbean, but it was. The staff at the restaurant was great. When we were late to breakfast one morning, the waitress who had waited on us almost everyday said, “I was beginning to wonder where the Orchid couple was.”

The staff: The staff made the entire stay! They were wonderfully nice genuine people who seem to truly love their job. It seemed as though they just wanted everyone to have the best stay possible and went out of their way to do so.

On another note, we went on a some excursions and the excursions and cabs could be billed to the room. This was really helpful in that we didn’t have to worry about carrying money or negotiating pricing.

I would recommend this place to anyone. It was very quiet, very relaxing, very magical, very beautiful and very romantic.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Bonni C
Reviewed 26 July 2011

“Dreamlike”. That is how I responded when asked the question, “How was your trip to St. Lucia?” My state of constant bliss while on the island July 14-20 was due, in large part, to a magical stay at Stonefield.

I will admit, several negative reviews in late June made me question my decision to stay at this property. I was so, concerned, in fact, that I considered cancelling my reservations. Ernie, the manager, asked me to trust him and keep the reservation intact. I am so very glad I did. My stay was perfect.

I arrived to blue skies and a long line at immigration. After clearing, I was met by Benton, the driver Stonefield had arranged to transport me to the resort. We made a quick stop for beverage and snack supplies, and Benton filled me in on island information (did you know there are 80 varieties of mangoes in St. Lucia?) on the ride to the property. As soon as we began the decent down the driveway to the resort I began to relax and feel at home. The grounds were beautiful, lush and very quiet. Benton took me directly to my villa, Frangipani, where I was warmly greeted and checked in with a “Welcome home”. Any qualms I had had about my reservation immediately vanished. The villa cottage was more beautiful than the pictures. It was perfect. The view was stunning and the large, deep pool sparkled in the sun. New plexi-glass panels had been installed on all the doors and windows to prevent insects from entering and the cool air inside (the AC worked splendidly – enough so that I was actually cold the first night and turned it off!) and the deck was newly sanded and smooth under my bare toes. The interior of the villa was very clean. Fresh flower petals were strewn on the white bed and bouquets of tropical flowers were everywhere. I could not have been more pleased.

I mixed an island drink and floated for the next several hours in my pool, staring at the piton and the sea. I fact, every spare moment that I had the entire week was spent in that pool. It was a lovely cool haven after diving and day trips. My last hour at the resort was spent doing the same. I think I would have slept in it if I could.

As I mentioned, the AC worked beautifully in the villa. I did keep the door closed to the bathroom, so it was a slight bit warmer in the actual sink and dressing room area, but never uncomfortable. I brought a small fan to keep me cool if necessary – it never left my suitcase. Bugs? Not a one in the villa as I always kept the doors closed. I never saw the tarantula in the outdoor shower either (although I would have welcomed him), only a small hummingbird that came to shower with me most mornings. The water in the shower was always plentiful, and hot. The solar heating issues were evidently fixed.

Not only was I not bothered by bugs in the villa, I wasn’t bothered by them outside either. I returned from the island without a single mosquito bite (I swear). I did spray myself with repellent when I expected to be outside past dusk, but encountered no issues at the villa or at the restaurant. I even sat in the loungers at night on my pool deck counting stars without obtaining a single bite. The rain forest was quite loud at night and it did take a night or two to get used to it, but when I returned to reality (ie a work event in Chicago) I missed the sounds and found myself wishing them back.

I ate every breakfast at Mango Tree. The service was great and the food quite good. The banana pancakes were my favorite. The restaurant packed me a bread and fruit basket to go when I needed to be off site early to catch dive boats. Dinner was quite good as well. So good that I only ate one dinner meal off site – at Benny’s (Harmony Beach), where I enjoyed sipping rum with Benny himself. The Asian night was particularly good and the restaurant even accommodated several special requests, willingly.

I had to work (unfortunately) every morning…and headed up to the Mango Tree, laptop in hand to link in with reality. The wifi worked extremely well in the bar area. I had no connectivity issues, even with my VPN. If you have to work in paradise, it’s a perfect spot to do so…pot of coffee on the table, small birds trying to get the lid of the sugar bowl, and an amazing view to persuade you to log-off.

The staff was warm and friendly. Everyone, from the ground keepers to the reception staff to the wait staff was warm and welcoming. The chef gave me a bag of mangos when I asked him where I could pick ripe ones (killer mango/pineapple/coconut rum concoctions in the blender). I had several long conversations with Ernie, and it is evident that he and his staff are committed to customer service and providing a positive experience for all guests.

I travel extensively for work and pleasure. Stonefield was a wonderful find. Would I recommend it? In a heartbeat. Will I return? Hopefully….. one day…. soon.

I am posting reviews of Mango Tree, Harmony Beach, Scuba St. Lucia and my day with Paul Clifford (Congoman) at his private beach oasis, as well as a detailed trip report, soon. As Paul says, Bless Up!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
4  Thank skiscubamom
stonevillas, General Manager at Stonefield Villa Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

thank you for sharing your time with us. we hope you bring the entire family next time.
i will let the staff know your ratings of us.

see you soon

Reviewed 26 July 2011

My husband and I spent part of our honeymoon at Stonefield and it was the perfect choice! The staff was so welcoming, the accommodations were terrific and the staff was exceptional! I would recommend this resort to anyone!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank UniqueB

it was a pleasure hosting you at stonefield. thank you for your kind review and take good care of each other.
ernie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Stonefield Villa Resort? Share your experiences!