“Great Service and Wonderful Location”

Stonefield Estate Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Toronto, Canada
“Great Service and Wonderful Location”
Reviewed 23 November 2011

Wonderful Service and a beautiful resort. The Villas are incredible and have a wonderful view. While not on the beach (you need to use the beach facilities at Jalhousie at a cost), still the overall value is excellent. Fantastic experience!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (167)
Pelham, New York
Reviewed 18 November 2011

My husband and I were excited to plan a trip to St. Lucia after seeing how beautiful it was on the season finale of the Bachelor (several years ago). After looking at the prices of Jade Mountain we realized it was way out of our budget. The beauty of St. Lucia remained in our minds though and we finally decided to book a trip this fall. We again looked at Jade Mountain again and then at Ladera. We liked the idea of the openess of the rooms, the views they provided and that they had their own pools. We did not like the prices and the "fancyness" of them. This led us on a two month search for the perfect hotel, seriouly it took two months before we found Stonefield Estates! We found it through Jetblue vacations (we got a great deal) and had not seen it on any other website. It offered the private pool, amazing view, spa, restaurant, and reasonable prices! We booked for 4 nights and loved it so much we changed our plans and booked another 3 nights. The first villa we stayed in was Manchaneel. It was the most private of the villas although they were all pretty private. It was beautiful but we could not see the ocean from the pool. The second villa we stayed in was Flamboyant. It was truly spectacular! The view was beautiful. We would just lay on the lounge chairs or swim in the pool, or lay in the hammock, or sit at the outside dining table and stare at the ocean or the piton.
Next to the beauty of the place, the staff was incredible! I can not say enough about how friendly and courteous they were. If we wanted to eat in our room, no problem, if we needed extra towels, no problem. The food was also excellent. We like good food and eat out at lots of restaurants. The food was fresh and delicious. We had a different meal every night as the menu always changed and we loved every meal!

Fort Wayne IN
Reviewed 13 November 2011

This was my husband and my second visit to Stonefield in the last 4 years. We have also stayed at the Sandals Grand twice and numerous other resorts throughout the Caribbean over the last 20 years.
I think that if you are looking for a quiet place to spend some alone time with your significant other than this is the place for you. The views of the ocean and rainforest from the deck of your own private plunge pool were breathtaking.
The food at the Mango Tree restaurant was very good to excellent with the meat dishes actually out performing the fish dishes which was odd for the Caribbean. We ate all of our breakfasts and dinners at the restaurant as some lunches. We had the evening meal plan and I would not reccommend doing this again. I did not realize how the heat and humidity would decrease my appetite and we could not eat an appetizer, main course, dessert and coffee each evening. The food was excellent and I would reccommend each eating an appetizer sharing a main course and skipping dessert. The resort had a nice selection of good Chilean wines that were reasonable, $19 US per bottle. The resort will also now deliver dinner to your room for a $10. fee. We did this 3 times and it was great. Breakfast is included with your stay but not all items on the Breakfast Menu were included. All items on the pages entitled Sides and Extras are in fact an additional charge. I was sad to see that
the amazing Stonefield Favourite Breakfast Sandwich was $11. US extra. There certainly was enough variety of delicious breakfast items on the complementary item menu to keep a hungry traveller satisified with the exception of yougert.
We were happy to see the addition of a very nice fitness facility or gym as they called it, with brand new equipment. There was one treadmill and one elipitical but also free weights, yoga equiptment and cybex universal gym . Since the resort is built on a hill with losts of uneven trails walking quickly for fitness can be tricky and since we like to stay at resorts for at least 7 days we were glad to get some exercise at the gym.
We requested that our taxi driver stop at the grocery store on our way to the resort. This was a great idea as all the villas have a fridge and u can get ice from the restaurant. Piton beers were about $1. US at the store $3.5 at resort and $8 next door at Jalhousie beach. If we were having lunch at the resort we often got one roti or sandwhich to go and ate it back at our room with our own drinks. Again the heat really does decrease your appetie and we shared many items that we would usually each order.
I would recommend dinner at Marthas' Tables as the prices for lunch and dinner are the same and the portions were really too large for lunch. It was a great sampling of local food. I had fried tuna with garlic butter, green salad, rice, potato salad ,local vegetables and macaroni pie all for $35 EC or $13US. The food was cooked to perfection and delicious. It is unfortunate that the taxi ride is $12 each way from Stonefield. You are only going a very short distancefrom Marthas Tables but at night there are no lights on the road and you must travel over very steep hills with many sharp turns . If you go for lunch the walk is quite the wokout in 90F heat .We did not feel comfortable walking.
We did bring a small DVD player and watched a few movies over the week back at our villa. There is no TV , radio, or internet in the rooms. This was a great feature but some evenings when there were many bugs outside we enjoyed watching a movie. There is free WiFi in the Mango tree resaurant but I could not get any cell phone service with Verizon except when we were in Castries(capital city) for the day. The resort will allow you to use there computer to print your boarding pass. This made our airport check in very easy.
We always use Off with Deet in the Caribbean. Stonefield is situated in a rainforest and there are lots of bugs. I used the deet every evening before going to dinner and each day on my feet. I Only got 3 bites and my husband only got one!
We really enjoyed our day at Jalhousie Beach. The hotel provides a free shuttle there and back. You must book a return time or pay for a taxi to pick u up. Jalhousie charges $20 US per chair for the day. We did this and it was very nice. Also we always travel with a small collapsable cooler which we used to take some pitons on ice to the Beach. Lunch at the resort was great.The service was white glove and pretty much $20. per entre. The next time we went from 9-1 and came backt to Stonefield for lunch. Also it is a public beach and u can take a breach towel and sit on the beach for free. There are some free chairs on the right side of the beach but the cruise ships drop off tourists by the boat loads and it can get extremely crowded if there are lots of ships in town.
We had a wonderful week at Stonefield and can't wait to go back.

Room Tip: all rooms were great just remember to book one with A/C
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank fudger02
central pa
Reviewed 12 November 2011

We just returned from our 20th year anniversary trip to St. Lucia and stayed at Stonefield Estate Villa Resort for 4 nights. We were torn about staying at either Fond Doux or Stonefield, and I'm so glad that we stayed at Stonefiled since the views were AMAZING!! Although, we did visit Fond Doux and it too is very charming (more rustic than Stonefield) and beautiful as well, just without the ocean view and A/C. Jalouise, Jade Mountain and Ladera were out of our price range. For the rate that we paid (discounted due to shoulder season and sale), we felt we got exactly what we expected - great villa (charming but a little rustic), excellent staff (I expect this anywhere), and a view that was breathtaking!

Our villa was Tamarind, which was wonderfully situated on the property - off to the side next to Hibiscus. It was very private (although you could see the villa to the right easily) with gorgeous views and no other villa roofs to look over. All villas were tucked into the landscape (which was lush and beautiful), some more visible than others and possibly not as private as Tamarind and Hibiscus. The atmosphere of Stonefield was very comfortable and warm. Other guests keep to themselves and you won't find volleyball going on in the pool. It is a quiet and relaxing place. Check in was perfect and we were warmly welcomed! During our stay, the front desk was always very friendly and helpful with anything that we needed. They always answered any questions that we had or just a sweet "hello" to say when walking by. Upon check in, we were given a cell phone to make local (free) and international calls (.69/min) which eliminated our concern on how to communicate locally and with home while on our vacation. It was a huge plus to have a phone we could take with us in case of emergency.

Villa:
Our villa was welcoming and sweetly decorated with flowers upon arrival. It literally looked just like the pictures. Valna showed us around and gave us a binder full of information and excursions. We booked our trips privately (I heard it was cheaper but not certain), however, they did offer some nice trips. It was also helpful that they included a land taxi rate guide in the back of the binder so you could get an idea of the cost to taxi - very expensive so bring lots of cash (smaller bills like 10's or 20's). Like all villas, we had a comfy hammock, a large outdoor deck, deck chairs, and our lovely plunge pool. The pool was clean and clear, although a little cold for me. Our mini fridge wasn't stocked but was probably since we told them we were stopping for groceries at Super J's near the airport. The bed was a King (loved the canopy), but I found both the mattress and pillows to be hard. Bedding was just a sheet and the top comforter (wish there was a summer lightweight cotton blanket). We had A/C and I was so grateful to come home at night and be comfortable (and be without bug spray), especially while sleeping. Also, Tamarind and Hibiscus are tucked in a little and don't get as many cross breezes as some of the other villas do I think. We kept ours on all of the time so it remained dry and comfy (not cold, but fine for me). Once it got dark outside, the jungle critters started their singing and for us we had no problem sleeping. The plexiglass helped, but you could still hear them clearly. No need for ear plugs for us, but bring them along just in case. I'm a light sleeper and did fine. Just a note: I think because we had our A/C on all of the time, the temperature difference during the day and evening outside made the villa shutters and plexiglass creak and ping. First night, it startled me, but then I knew what it was. Tamarind was wired with both 220v and 110v so we didn't need an adapter to plug in my iphone (airplane mode with only wifi turned on) or curling iron. There is also a clock radio with an iPhone/iPod dock which was great! Safe with combo - use it. Maid service daily and turndown were excellent (we left a tip each day since staff can change) and very friendly. The villa was generally clean and maintained, however, we felt it was a bit rustic which made the villa close to perfection, but not quite perfect. A piece of plexiglass in the shower area was broken off, leaving a huge hole, and we felt the bathroom could use an extra deep down cleaning, especially around the toilet. The landscaping in front of the porch and to the side was a rough and undone, although they may have been in the middle of working on it. There were some new plantings that we could see, but the rest looked like a construction zone with a hose and pieces of concrete laying around. There were also two very large (6 ft tall) black plastic barrels outside our villa that weren't too pretty. The outdoor shower was really cool and we enjoyed having two resident snails hang out with us! The only complaint that we had was the inconsistent lack of hot water (it is solar heated). It would be hot for about 4-5 mins then turn cold. The front desk told us to flip a switch and it didn't seem to make a difference. I just took a super fast shower and my husband took a cold on. Oh well, glad it was just the two of us and we were in the tropics. It was disappointing though to have to rush and end up with a cold shower. The bedding could have been a little more lush and soft. In the end, all of these things didn't really bother us since we felt we were getting what we paid for. It was a good value (sale rate) and we were very happy to stay overlooking the ocean in our own charming private villa that was almost perfect without breaking the bank. Now if I was paying $500-$700/night that would be a different story. I guess we looked at it as being true Lucian living.

Mango Tree Restaurant:
We ate our breakfast here daily and had two dinners while staying at Stonefield. Here too, the views were AMAZING and you will spend most of your time day dreaming while looking out over the ocean while kittens play at your feet and rainbows appear right before you! The staff was friendly (except for a couple of women - one breakfast, one dinner) but not overly chatty except for two great women, Sherianne and her sidekick that night, that we hung with one night at the bar! Completely enjoyed their company!! Cheers also to Rawle and the chef who came out to visit us! Food was also very good and we were happy. We did the Thurs BBQ (flat rate of $50 each plus drinks) and a regular menu night (entrees were $22-50). We split a seafood alfredo that was excellent! Breakfast was yummy and filling. The creole bread basket and jam were delivered each morning and was my favorite. We also had eggs and banana pancakes. On our last day, we ordered an extra bread basket to take home to our family and they gave it to us complimentary. Very sweet! Again, great value to have breakfast included in our package. A 10% service charge was added onto the bill but we always left an additional tip, both at breakfast and dinner. Additionally, wifi was available at the restaurant and we were able to check our email, facebook and even FaceTime with our kids at home! They got a kick out of seeing live where we were and the beautiful scenery. It would have been nice to have wifi in our villa though.

Jalousie Beach:
There is a shuttle that takes you to and from Jalousie beach everyday at different times. You just have to call the desk ahead to let them know so they will wait for you. The shuttle is a 7-10 min drive. Jalousie is beautiful and next time, If we can afford it, I would prefer to stay in a place that has direct beach access. Again, Stonefield is a great value though since you still can get to the beach fairly quickly. The sand is imported and like many say, it looks like a Corona commercial. The Jalousie property is beautiful and I was even impressed with the lovely bathrooms! lol! Everything is top notch. My only suggestion here is to pay the $20/person charge if you can afford it to sit on the Jalousie side and not the far right which is where non-Jalousie guests can sit for free. It is like night and day! The right side is cramped and has mold stained vinyl chairs sitting on top of one another. It is in a very small area with rotating crowds of people pilling in off of cruise ships while the Jalousie side is 4-5 times larger with fancy palapas and loungers. Get there early and make it worth it the expense. However, if you plan to wade in the water most of the time and not sit in the loungers, stay on the right side since anyone can go into the water on either side. It is just that if you want to lounge, you have to decide on what kinda beach experience you want. We were very happy after we moved over. Since it was still low season, the staff at Jalousie allowed us to sit in the white plush loungers rather than the ones in the back row reserved for paying guests (non Jalousie). Thanks you Jalousie! We did eat lunch under our palapa (really good) and enjoyed a couple of drinks (expensive and small). We also hired Desmond from Livity to take us out for a quick water tour since the weather was gorgeous and he was available. His water taxi was right there on at the beach and is very friendly and fair. We asked for a quick spin ($40) and he ended up taking us out for almost an hour! Feel free to chat with him on the beach! We would recommend him for sure. He did recommend to watch out for these tiny jellyfish since there was a westward current and they come in during that time. We didn't see any, but we found the water a little chilly (nor was it super hot, more humid) so we weren't swimming anyways. The water there was clear, rocky (small rocks and you sunk) and it quickly dropped off. We did not snorkel that day since we had plans to snorkel the next. One note here - Stonefield's snorkel equipment is a little less to be be desired. You can rent it at Jalousie for $10/hour/person or we recommend that you bring your own from home.

Malgretoute Beach:
In our research, it was suggested that if we wanted a more natural beach that we could walk to Malgretoute Beach from Stonefield. Now granted, we are not well traveled, so we have only been to the beaches along the Atlantic Coast, but getting to and from Malgretoute Beach and being there was quite an experience. It was a super steep walk down a huge hill (main road) and through an old dilapidated shut down senior citizens home with broken wheel chairs and other rusty medical equipment all over the property to get there. Once there the beach had a lot of trash and some broken glass on it. Even two cows/bulls were hanging out in which one followed us around. We were meeting there for a tour, so we didn't stay. It was just a big difference from our Atlantic coast beaches and I was a little shocked and creeped out by the senior citizens home. Unfortunately, our tour got us back a little late and we had to do this walk during dusk. We barely got up the hill (and we are in descent shape), got chased by dogs, and yelled at by locals driving by pilled in the back of a truck. Not to mention, the senior home was even more creepy! So lesson learned here for us was to stick to the beaches that Stonefield recommends and use their shuttle service. Other beautiful beaches besides Jalousie that we saw from the water were Anse Mamin and Anse Chastanet.

Other tips:
-Use bug spray ALL OF THE TIME! I don't generally get bit, but I did one morning while sitting out for a few minutes in the hammock. And REAPPLY! I used Deep Woods with 25% deet. No problems at night in our room since we kept it closed with A/C on at all times.
-We did get Eastern Carribean money from an ATM in town prior to going to the fish fry in Asne La Raye. Other than that we used US dollars and mostly credit cards. Before we left we got 50 $1 bills for tips. Remember to bring home some bills and change for the family to see. Our land taxi driver assisted us in town since we were a little uncomfortable and unsure of what we were doing.
-We shopped for souvenirs in town at Deb's. Nice little shop. Accepted credit cards. Had cocoa sticks. Prices were great. Our driver took us there and shopped with us. It was nice to have someone local with us. Don't think we would go into town by ourselves.
-Personally, having a driver was best for us, however, having a driver is very, very expensive so work out a plan where you are doing your touring all on one or two days. This way you can work out a flat rate. We hired Finbar and Natalie and they were the BEST!!!
-It is also best to have a plan before you go so that you aren't spending your vacation sitting at the restaurant googling things to do.

Excursions:
-Anse La Raye - Friday night fish fry in a local 18th century town. Street vendors selling food and drinks. We took a land taxi to Soufriere and then a water taxi to Anse La Raye. Food was great, try the spiced rum if you want something local. Mix of tourist and locals (mostly). Stay to the main street. Our land/water taxi drivers both stayed with us which made our trip enjoyable since we had someone showing us the ropes. Remember the town is very old and it is a true cultural immersion experience but for some, it may make them uncomfortable (two women we met on the airplane home said they left since they were harassed by beggars). Not sure we would go back, especially for us due to the cost of the water taxi.
Castaway Trip with Congoman - Full day of being on your own private natural beach. Additional review to come.
-Tet Paul Nature Trail - guided trail walk. Professional, affordable. 45 mins. Our guide told us a lot about the plants and life of St. Lucia. Very informative. We really enjoyed. AMAZING VIEWS!! Also hear Morne Coubaril is wonderful. We highly recommend both!
-Diamond Falls Botanical Gardens - Walk through garden. Do at your own pace. Nice. We enjoyed. We recommend for a relaxing garden walk.
-Fond Doux Plantation - Cocoa tour was very weak, beautiful grounds, similar to Diamond Falls Botanical Garden. We did have lunch there and enjoyed it immensely! Ate here right after the Tet Paul Nature Trail hike.
-Drive through Volcano - that is all about we did, drive through. We were going to go back to do the mud bath but decided to return to our villa and relax.

**With all taxi excursions agree and settle on a price ahead of time. We knew this and did this for our trip except for one excursion and we ended up paying more than what we felt was fair. Also, always keep an eye on your valuables/cash!!

Sorry about the long review! We just wanted to share our experience so we hopefully can help someone with their first trip to St. Lucia. When planning our trip, we decided that we didn't want to do the super resort kinda thing and wanted to be more involved with the culture of St. Lucia. In the end, we got exactly what we wanted, some good, some not so good. Most of all, slow down, enjoy your villa, get to know the St. Lucia people - relax in the hammock reading a book, float in your pool, catch an amazing sunset, chat with the folks at the bar, have a slow meal, take it all in and take lots of pictures!! Stonefield provided us a great home base, close to perfect, good value, and very lovely! At that price point, we wouldn't hesitate to return.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank carrot_top_curls
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 8 November 2011

We recently stayed at Stonefield and loved the place. I think we had an oceanview villa and it was perfect. The view was amazing and the outdoor shower was a nice touch. Here are my tips to fully enjoy your vacation on St Lucia.:

1. I would recommend renting a car if you're not one to just stay by the pool all day long. Taxis are crazy expensive and they remove flexibility. The roads were not too bad, but you did need to pay attention. Renting a car added to the experience in my opinion. I would recommend the 4x4 Jimmy. It's like a mini jeep and the 4 wheel drive may be called upon. The roads are narrow, so getting a big car in my opinion is a negative. BTW, we rented from Drive Matic and it was good experience.

2. If your vacation is at least 5 or 6 nights long, consider splitting your stay up. Spend a few nights at Stonefield and a few nights further north around rodney bay (look at Windjammer $$$ or Cap Maison $$$$). This way you get to see a lot of the island. Windjammer had a special that I missed, but the Bay Gardens Beach Resort that we stayed at was very nice and had a full kitchen, which worked out nice. I only complaint was that it wasn't very "St. Lucian". Other than that, it was nice.

3. October was a great time to go to St. Lucia. It's towards the end of the rainy season and there are far fewer cruise boats to deal with and much better hotel deals around. I found a special at Stonefield that enabled my wife and I to afford the villa and it was worth it.

4. Some mosquitoes are around, so bring spray. We did get bitten, but only because we didn't apply the spray. It wan't a big deal and didn't affect our trip...just something to think about.

5. Things to do around Stonefield: Mineral Waterfall (good and only $3), Jalouise Beach (Nice beach...nothing too special), Town of Soufere (Would not recommend visiting...only to go to grocery and get food/beer/rum), Marthas Table (good local food, recommend going), Dasheen Restaurant (great experience, somewhat expensive but had a great view and live band...worth it), Diamond botanical gardens (good and only $5), Tortaille Waterfall (recently reopened and it was awesome and around $5-recommend it), Anse La Raye fish fry (Friday night, good local food - interesting experience- go if you can fit it in), Anse Chastanet beach (great snorkeling- got to go).

6. If you snorkel, you may want to bring your on gear.

Very nice people and beautiful island. If done right, it would one of those perfect trips. For us, it was that trip and we will always remember it.

5 Thank kld1972
Cambridge
Reviewed 8 November 2011

Like everyone else we have a private villa with pool. Totally secluded. Very relaxing. Views from the villa and from the restaurant are awesome. Staff was super friendly. We'll be coming back!

Room Tip: They all seem nice. I don't think there is a bad one.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I am extremely late writing this review...my apologies, Stonefield.

In late November 2010, Hurricane Tomas devastated St. Lucia and Barbados. Many lost lives, so much destruction. We really struggled with our decision to continue with the first half of our honeymoon or not as we heard about washed away roads and water shortages. As the day of our departure neared, the news was roads were mostly open, travel (already not easy between the north and south ends of the island due to windy, dirt roads) mostly acceptable and that the island needed our tourist dollars more than ever. So we took a deep breath and flew to the Caribbean.

Stonefield is in Soufriere, which is in the southern end of the island and that region is known for it's lush, romantic beauty and super laid-back people. All of which was still true. Stonefield is incredibly charming, each room is a villa and utterly private. We stayed in the Hibiscus with a private plunge pool that was so huge we could swim laps. We had views of the ocean and the famous Pitons. Truly awesome. We also loved the spaciousness of the room, decor and outdoor shower. But make no mistake. You are pretty much in a jungle. Expect loud crickets, never before seen critters and bugs. Take real bug repellent, not just Skin So Soft, ladies.

The Mango Tree served what was probably our favorite meals in all of St. Lucia (we also stayed and dined at Cap Maison--a different review-- in the north because Ladera suffered much damage and had to cancel our reservation. We were so disappointed.) and the view from their terrace again, staggeringly beautiful. The service was professional but warm passed the original greeting.

The service outside of Mango Tree (front desk) leaves something to be desired and there was a general malaise, which we understood probably had much to do with Tomas and all the private losses we would never know about. But maybe it's a morale issue and the gratuity that is added to your entire hotel bill that is supposed to get distributed evenly doesn't really??

They offer a fairly frequent shuttle service to several nearby beaches but we could only go to Anse Chastanet due to Tomas damage at the other beaches.

The most interesting evening of our stay was a cab ride home from dinner. Stonefield arranges it all and it will be charged to your room. Forgive me but it's been a year and I have forgotten his name, but he was such a nice, mellow gentleman who gave us a tour of his hometown of Soufriere. He was very unlike the taxi driver Cap Maison sent to pick us up from Stonefield, who was more like an aggro NY cabbie. He was not a bad guy but just not the same experience.

On the whole, we really enjoyed our stay at Stonefield despite being limited in many ways due to mother nature; it was worth the travel from Los Angeles and a great value. We would probably stay there again a night or two if we make it to St. Lucia again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!