“I want to go back” 5 of 5 bubbles

Stonefield Estate Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
“I want to go back”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

I'm not sure where to start, except to say that our week at Stonefield (our first visit to St Lucia) was the second-best vacation I've taken in my life (the first best being our honeymoon in the Galapagos). The setting is beyond breathtaking, and the sense of peace and relaxation is complete.

I've scoured the other reviews to discover what complaints other visitors had, and I think it comes down to this:

- If you're used to a rather insulated, air-conditioned, thoroughly modern all-inclusive experience, you may not feel completely comfortable in this more typically developing-world resort. The coffeemaker and the clock are not luxurious, and not every surface is obviously sanitized to US standards. We travel often to Mexico and stay at Mexican-owned hotels, and this is very comparable. The staff will work to make you comfortable, but at Stonefield you're already living in far more wealth and comfort than most St Lucians. If you really need an American-style accommodation, stay at a big corporate resort.

- If you like nightlife and parties and loud conversation, you'll want to be closer to the action. This is a quiet place that's great for meeting people and other couples one at a time and for learning about St Lucia by talking with the staff. The excitement you're looking for is elsewhere.

- If you are traveling with kids who are at a loss without a screen to look at and remotes in their hands, you're in the wrong place.

As others have noted, this is a locally owned estate significantly up a hill from the nearest beach (Malgretoute). While we were there, Malgretoute was unkempt, underpopulated and not very inviting, but they are building a hotel down there, so it may be cleaned up before too long. Meanwhile, other beaches such as Sugar Beach (Jalousie) and Anse Chastanet are an easy cab ride away. If you don't have a car and would like to see other parts of the island, it's also easy to hire a boat at Sugar Beach. Desmond, a trustworthy rascal with paintings of Bob Marley on his skiff, approached us on Sugar Beach and offered to take us up the west side of the island for the afternoon, and we're glad we took him up on it.

Our villa was Manchineel and we were instantly comfortable there. The only bugs we saw were the tiny ants that soon take advantage if you leave anything edible out on the kitchen counter. We enjoyed visits from the black hummingbirds and were amused by the cats, who carried on their cat business without paying much attention to us.

The staff was wonderful - helpful and naturally friendly almost to a person. Don't make the mistake I did and go home realizing you should have tipped more. Budget that in before you arrive so you can show the appreciation you feel.

You'd have a hard time convincing me to stay anywhere else were I to return to St Lucia. I can't remember ever feeling so stress-free in an unfamiliar country, and that was largely due to the warmth and and behind-the-scenes work of the staff of Stonefield Estates. Hats off to them.

Room Tip: Manchineel was ideal for us. We had a great view of both the Petit Piton and sunset over the ocean...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank JohntheEditor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (153)
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2013

Just stayed at this property and was very surprised by the pure beauty of it. I booked this last minute in Miami airport, well actually 3 hours before we landed at UVF airport. I decided to try staying on this side of the island since I usually stay in Rodney Bay. I am so glad I did and will probably never stay on that side again. We checked in super smooth and easy with a couple nice drinks to cool us off. I payed for a ocean view villa and we got Ginger Lily. I asked for an upgrade but one wouldn't be available until the next day, but she assured us we would like this villa. It was amazing, private pool, great view of the Piton and water, outdoor shower and nice king bed and free breakfast at the restaurant. Its also very close to Sugar Beach by taking the back road thru the property. I would recommend this place to anyone looking for superior views, luxury, romance and value. I will be going back for sure.

Room Tip: Book a ocean view, you wont be disappointed waking up to that view.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

We stayed in Limemill villa for 6 nights as a family vacation. This is an old plantation property that was converted into a resort with incredible views of the Petit piton and the ocean. I never write reviews, but there are three reasons I choose to this time: 1) I had a wonderful conversation with the owner, a local St. Lucian woman. That warm and friendly conversation really made me feel welcome at her lovely property, and made the whole experience seem more personal. Staying in the corporate chains you rarely see a manager let alone the owner, so this was special to me. 2) The staff in the restaurant and at the front desk were exceptional. I would like to highlight Lisa in particular; a smile that lights up the room and service that far exceeded expectations. 3) Tet Paul Nature Trail - a hidden jewel with the best views of the Pitons. Only a few miles from the hotel, this is a must see stop that is not widely advertised. We met John at the entrance. He was our guide and the person responsible for making this trail available to tourists. His story of how this trail came to be is fascinating, and his passion and love of the land, nature, and people really inspired me. His knowledge of the plants and there local uses impressed everyone in the group. It is a few dollars entrance fee, and an easy walk on a well maintained path, but the view is worth far more... Personally, I think this is the best value on the island! John also provides private guide service and we hired him to hike through the rain forest so we could see the St. Lucian parrot. Awesome experience!! Our time with John really made the vacation memorable.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
7 Thank kiribako
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2013

Nestled below the world heritage site of the pitons the views are just breathtaking. We stayed in 3 bedroom lime mill and old plantation house. truly a private villa keeping the old world style. Despite no air con the fans and breeze with the 4 post bed was absolutely fine.
We spent afternoon by their main pool while the very friendly staff made cocktail after cocktail. Diner was stunning with fire flies dancing in the bushes a bit like paul McCartney .
Picking up fallen mangos to eat on their nature trail was wonder fun. It is in a rain forest of course so the place is alive with exotic plants and animals. Ear plugs for the night frogs is recommended.
A perfect stay

Room Tip: Lime mill 3 bedroom villa
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
USA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

We stayed at Stonefield for 6 nights, in the Limemill villa. It was a 3 bedroom 2 bath villa with a nice pool and incredible views of the Piton! Stonefield is really the best option for staying in Soufriere. We rented a car and were able to go to all the other resorts and beaches and we were thrilled to be staying here. One day we walked down the trail to a private beach with some of the best snorkeling on the island. A little further past this beach are warm spring waterfalls called Piton Falls that were also great.

The Mango restaurant serves the best breakfast, especially the Stonefield favorite, which is a sandwich with eggs, cheese, bacon, lettuce and I'm not sure what else but it as delicious. The pancakes were excellent too. Definitely the best breakfast that is included with the stay. We tried the restaurant for dinner and thought it was just ok, food was good but overpriced, so we ate at different restaurants every night. All the staff we met was so nice and helpful with anything we asked for. The only exception is front desk, they didn't provide much information for guests wishing to do their own thing since they were in the business of selling very expensive tours. This is a common theme in all of St. Lucia, so it's no different at Stonefield.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

Stonefield was very beautiful. Our villa, Bamboo, had a great pool and porch with hammock. The villa was bug free which I was extremely happy about, considering there are holes. If you look between the door and the windows, there is about a half a finger width of space there. It's not actually an enclosed villa. But somehow I escaped the bugs. I got bit outside a couple times but nothing major. I was not pleased with the bed; it was rather hard. The grounds are beautiful but very unfriendly if you are out of shape or handicapped. Lots of stairs and hills with no ramps. The resort pool is nice. The view is a great view of one Piton. I will admit I was very spoiled by staying at another resort prior to this one where I got to see both pitons in view. If I came to Stonefield first, I probably would rate it higher than I am. On to the most annoying thing- feral cats. Something really needs to be done about them. I'm not alone in thinking this- other traveling couples we met said the same thing. A few softies will feed these feral cats so they stick around. They HISSED nonstop at me and were waiting at the door every time I went outside. They were also fighting and making noise. They were not welcome!! Anyway~ the staff was nice but not totally focused on your satisfaction. We asked for our pool to be cleaned and the guy showed up 2 hours later after we had already cleaned it ourselves with our hands (bunch of bugs like moths and flies in it after a rainstorm). Not to sound prissy, but if we ask for something like a pool cleaning, it shouldn't take 2 hours, considering there are only a limited number of villas to begin with- this place doesn't have 100 rooms or anything. There were huge caterpillars and butterflies everywhere which were fun to look at. My husband ate some mangoes off the trees that fell and they were really good. Overall, this resort is pretty, full of nature, but could be improved upon in small ways that would really help (bed, no cats, etc).

Room Tip: Bamboo villa was good price/value but there are bigger ones if you like.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2013

This is simply a review of the restaurant!

My husband and I visited Stonefield for dinner one night during our honeymoon. We couldn't really find anywhere to eat that was still open at 8-9pm so we decided to venture to Stonefield per our B&B host's recommendation.

The atmosphere was great. Music was very cheesy (we're talking My Heart Will Go On cheesy) but we asked them to change it and they put on some smooth reggae which was nice.

I ordered the pesto crusted Mahi Mahi. My husband ordered a shrimp dish. The shrimp was cooked perfectly and was very succulent. My Mahi Mahi was awful. It tasted like vinegar with almost a foul taste in the background. I have had Mahi Mahi many times and I have only once sent food back to a kitchen because I wasn't happy.

Our server asked how we liked our meal and you would think that if you asked a guest how they liked it you would know how to respond if they DON'T like it. Not the case. She seemed awkward that I would say that I didn't like it. No offer for something else. Just awkward silence. Another server came over...'everything ok?' I told them that I just didn't care for the flavor and still...awkward silence. I just gave in and turned back towards my food. Bad service...I shouldn't have to beg especially when the price of our meal was very high.

I had only had a couple of bites (one from me and one from Jack) and he ended up giving me his shrimp and he had the Mahi Mahi which he didn't like but could eat.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank Jilian B
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!