I'm not sure where to start, except to say that our week at Stonefield (our first visit to St Lucia) was the second-best vacation I've taken in my life (the first best being our honeymoon in the Galapagos). The setting is beyond breathtaking, and the sense of peace and relaxation is complete.
I've scoured the other reviews to discover what complaints other visitors had, and I think it comes down to this:
- If you're used to a rather insulated, air-conditioned, thoroughly modern all-inclusive experience, you may not feel completely comfortable in this more typically developing-world resort. The coffeemaker and the clock are not luxurious, and not every surface is obviously sanitized to US standards. We travel often to Mexico and stay at Mexican-owned hotels, and this is very comparable. The staff will work to make you comfortable, but at Stonefield you're already living in far more wealth and comfort than most St Lucians. If you really need an American-style accommodation, stay at a big corporate resort.
- If you like nightlife and parties and loud conversation, you'll want to be closer to the action. This is a quiet place that's great for meeting people and other couples one at a time and for learning about St Lucia by talking with the staff. The excitement you're looking for is elsewhere.
- If you are traveling with kids who are at a loss without a screen to look at and remotes in their hands, you're in the wrong place.
As others have noted, this is a locally owned estate significantly up a hill from the nearest beach (Malgretoute). While we were there, Malgretoute was unkempt, underpopulated and not very inviting, but they are building a hotel down there, so it may be cleaned up before too long. Meanwhile, other beaches such as Sugar Beach (Jalousie) and Anse Chastanet are an easy cab ride away. If you don't have a car and would like to see other parts of the island, it's also easy to hire a boat at Sugar Beach. Desmond, a trustworthy rascal with paintings of Bob Marley on his skiff, approached us on Sugar Beach and offered to take us up the west side of the island for the afternoon, and we're glad we took him up on it.
Our villa was Manchineel and we were instantly comfortable there. The only bugs we saw were the tiny ants that soon take advantage if you leave anything edible out on the kitchen counter. We enjoyed visits from the black hummingbirds and were amused by the cats, who carried on their cat business without paying much attention to us.
The staff was wonderful - helpful and naturally friendly almost to a person. Don't make the mistake I did and go home realizing you should have tipped more. Budget that in before you arrive so you can show the appreciation you feel.
You'd have a hard time convincing me to stay anywhere else were I to return to St Lucia. I can't remember ever feeling so stress-free in an unfamiliar country, and that was largely due to the warmth and and behind-the-scenes work of the staff of Stonefield Estates. Hats off to them.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The resort is located on 27 lush acres near the rain forest and what is now a world heritage site. It is therefore secluded yet in the heart of all of St.Lucia's natural attractions like the open volcano, botanical gardens, rain forest, waterfalls, and other fine dining to enhance your experience of the island's local flavour. It captures the famous Petit Piton and Caribbean sea. Its villas have an open air design with 4 poster beds, hammocks, private garden showers and private pools. This resort was rated the number 1 resort in Soufriere by discriminating travelers - TripAdvisor. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia and West Indies so you can book your Stonefield Estate Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Stonefield Estate Villa Resort And Spa
- Stonefield Estate Villa Hotel
- Stonefield Estate Hotel
- Stonefield Estate Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere