“So Beautiful and Special”

Stonefield Estate Resort
Ranked #7 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Nova Scotia Canada
“So Beautiful and Special”
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Travelled with my husband to Stonefield for the first part of our vacation to St. Lucia May 1st. We stayed in the Ginger Lily villa, and it had perfect views of the Piton, and a lovely pool. It felt like we were in another world. I liked the fact that there were no TV and phone, it felt so peaceful. (Blackberry had perfect reception) The view from Mango Tree is absolutely amazing and the food quite good. The breakfast spreads were so yummy and my husband LOVED the bananna pancakes. For the price compared to Jade Mountain and Anse Chansanet and Ladera, this place is perfect. It is cottage like, but in such a humble beautiful way. The bed was fine ~ not the most soft, but not terrible either. The pillows could be updated however. The only thing negetive about the villa was the fact that the outdoor shower (which was the only shower) did not have hot water. There is hot water in the bathroom basins but not the shower, so washing and lathering my hair was hard. We brought floats for the pool which I would highly recommend. We had reserved a dinner at Dasheene at Ladera but did not go because we felt the views could not be beat from Mango Tree, and I heard the food wasn't much better. (see review of Mango Tree). We had a car so we explored the south of the island everyday. Go to Jalhouse beach, don't bother eating at the beach restaraurant (they will only let non-guest go to the small restaruant area north of the beach and it was VERY EXPENSIVE) quality of food was very poor and for lunch it cost almost $100US for 2 without any alcohol drinks. We rented beach chairs for $20 a piece which we felt was worth it. The snorkeling is good but much better at Anse Chasnanet beach ~ amazing actually. We had no problem with sea lice, jellyfish or any sort of bites/stings and we snorkeled everyday along the southwest coast. Don't be afraid to rent a car, just don't rent from Cool Breeze (old beat-up vechicles with big blue signs in window saying it was from cool breeze) we felt like tourist idiots.

In summary, GO TO STONEFIELD! We loved it, even though we typically like modern, contemporary 5star boutique hotels, this place has a very special feel. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Dpottle

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
Scotland
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Have just returned from a week here and had a great week. Our villa to start with (Orchid) was not great, no pool or AC and lots of mosiquitos but we were upgraded to Tamarind villa which was far superior and was really fantastic, great views, very private, AC and lovely ootdoor shower. All the staff at the resort are friendly and helpful and will go out their way to help you.
The Mango Tree is a good resurant with great views, we enjoyed breakfast every morning looking over the Bay. Fresh fruit juices and omlettes for breakfsat are excellent and the Chicken Rotis for lunch need a special mention. The BBQ night we thought was expensive for what it is but the staff were happy to give us something else off the menu but we still enjoyed the entertainment.
Its worth going to some local resturants too, Martha's Tables nearby is great local food as is Fedo's in Soufriere.
If you want a challenge then you should climb Petit Piton, its very hard going, scary and requires a good level of fitness but the views at the top are the best prize. If you go then use a local guide, Marlon (Brando!) his nickname is good can be found at the Piton waterfalls which are worth a visit.

Getting a water taxi and going up the coast is worth it and make sure you finish off with a visit to the local fish fry in Anse La Raye on a Friday evening, great food and a good lively atmosphere.

Overall a great place to stay, make sure you take mosiquito repellant, the stronger the better.

If you like quiet natural places this is the place to stay as it is not a resort, we loved it for that reason.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
Cedar Rapids, Iowa
Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stonefield is a one of a kind resort.It has some of the most breath taking views on the island.Not cheap but worth the money for the experence.If you want a truely romantic get away that youll never forget this the place.

Stayed February 2007, travelled as a couple
london
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My heart sank when the receptionist handed me the key for Hibiscus villa, despite me having specifically reserved the Frangipani villa with 50% deposit 6 months in advance, and re-confirmed this request by email one month before my stay in Stonefield Estate. Never mind, I thought, as both were premium luxury villas.

Hibiscus villa is situated at the furthest point in the estate, hence benefiting from being in a quiet location with only one villa (Tamarind) next door and an unobstructed front sea view with no other villas below or in front. As it is located right next to the rainforest, the Petit Piton is mostly obscured by the surrounding trees. Nonetheless I enjoyed a most romantic view from the veranda/swimming pool, particularly at sunset. It was daunting to watch bats flying in at night to drink from the swimming pool.

However its secluded location also means that one has to walk furthest uphill to the restaurant, reception and spa, not an enjoyable experience under the midday sun and tropical heat. The villa was decorated in shabby-chic style in keeping with local French-Creole architecture, and with an outdoor shower, it did give one a back-to-nature feel of living inside a rainforest. With such an away-from-it-all concept, there was no TV in the villa, only a CD player, but I could not understand why telephone was not made available. I kept wondering what would happen if there was an emergency (like a fire) and it would be impossible to alert the staff. Having walked up and down the hill twice to contact reception and spa, I had to rent a cell-phone from the hotel for $20 just to make internal calls (reception, room service etc) to save such inconvenience.

The kidney-shaped pool was large, about 10 by 25 feet in size, 2 to 8 feet deep, so one could happily swim in it. However being right next to the rainforest, it suffered from contamination of insects/plants/debris, and I had to request the pool attendant to clean it twice a day. The most disappointing fact about the villa was the poor air-conditioning. The reason why I paid for a premium luxury villa was solely for its air-conditioning. But despite setting it at 17C maximum flow, with the ceiling fan on as well, the room was still warm, particularly during the daytime when the sun was out. I did not dare to sleep with open louvre windows at night, partly due to security reason, and partly due to the thousands of insects waiting out there. And yes, I did have my fair share of mosquito bites, despite having used mosquito sprays, insect repellents, citronella coils and incense sticks.

I ate most meals at Mango Tree restaurant, which had a lovely sea view. The ambience at night was particularly hypnotic. Food quality was good and the staff very pleasant, though I would prefer listening to sounds from nature rather than the loud piped music.

Bamboo spa was a disappointment though, consisting of only 2 treatment rooms, changing rooms and an outdoor sitting area. Air-conditioning in the treatment room was surprisingly efficient, as compared to Hibiscus villa. The massage itself was pretty forgettable.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
2 Thank 132s
london
Reviewed 24 April 2010

I stayed here with my girlfriend, her mum and sister for a relaxing week's holiday, booking through the UK via Key2Holidays. Overall the stay was excellent and I would recommend this villa hotel. It is a nice independent hotel which has a nice character and a more personalized feel than some of the big places around there!

The location was absolutely stunning with gorgeous views over the petit piton from the restaurant and both of the villas we stayed in. Really - you cannot beat this view!

THE VILLAS
For most of our stay we were in the three bedroom Lime Mill Villa. On our final night we were moved to the Plantation Villa again three bedrooms. We knew in advance we would have to move villas. Both were spacious (Plantation villa is colossal!) and comfortable. The pools in each were fabulous - you can just float with a nice drink and be mesmerized by the view!

All of the windows are shuttered rather than glass which gives the place a lovely open feel. The one downside to this is that there is no air conditioning. To counter this, most of the rooms have overhead fans. One of the rooms didn't but we were supplied with a standing fan. Some of our party found the heat a bit stifling and some of the bedrooms in each villa get less of the breeze than others.

The lime mill villa had nice outdoor showers which were a fun novelty (along with the banana plants!). I would say that the indoor part of the bathrooms in each villa could do with a face lift. They seemed a bit dated.

Both villas had kitchens with sufficient equipment for snacks and drinks. The Plantation Villa had a huge kitchen with good appliances - you could really have a party there.

Finally the beds were excellent - very comfortable indeed.

THE RESTAURANT AND FOOD
The Mango Tree restaurant is pleasant with a raised dining area overlooking the sea. The service levels and standard of food was somewhat intermittent. We stayed on a half board basis with soft drinks and non-alcoholic cocktails included.

The service could be a little slow and times but we got used to this and we weren't in too much of a hurry. The staff were generally friendly and polite with one or two being slightly less enthusiastic.

The dinner service was a little bit confused. Each night of the week had a theme (might get a bit repetitive for stays of more than one week!). I'd say the food was excellent for 4 of the nights but not so good for the remainder. The first night we stayed (sunday) was an "asian flair" theme. It wasn't very good at all - I had a very oily and salty interpretation of a phad thai. Rather than themes I would have much preferred local style cooking every night. The local dishes the chef prepared were generally excellent.

Another slight disappointment was the surcharge placed on shrimps, lobster and some of the other dishes. We were not made aware of this before booking. The slightly bizarre thing was that the prices on the menu for some of the items that carried a surcharge for guests on half board were no more expensive than items without a surcharge!

FACILITIES
The villas we stayed in had lovely pools with nice sun chairs. If you feel the need for the beach you can get one of the 3 shuttle buses down to the Jalousie Resort. The beach there is fabulous and there is some great snorkeling on the right hand side of the beach. Before you hit the water, do ask the dive staff whether there are any jelly fish present. A few people got stung - nothing serious just a little unpleasant.

The Jalousie resort has a nice beach restaurant and beach chairs etc. However all come at a fairly exorbitant price for non residents. We made do with our beach towels and splashed out on a round of drinks and a bowl of chips (roughly $30!!!).

ACTIVITIES
We climbed the gros piton which was a fantastic experience but be warned it is a very steep and quite challenging climb (and descent). Take plenty of water, some sunscreen and decent trainers or, better still, hiking shoes/boots. The climb cost $30 dollars per person and you get a guide from the local and historical village to take you up.

I also did some jungle biking at anse chastenet which was great fun if a little hot ($45 dollars per person). Anse chastenet beach is very nice too if you can afford the rather pricey water taxis!

CONCLUSION
A lovely stay with good staff, a very friendly manager (the cocktail reception was great fun). Shame that the food was a little inconsistent but this did not get in the way of our having a fabulous and relaxing stay.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank travel_soldier
Chicago
Reviewed 20 April 2010

My husband of 18 years and I took 8 nights away from Chicago and children to go to Stonefield Estate. No prior trips near this island, aside from St. John, St. Martin~ total mystery to us! We stayed in Flamboyant and it was like a tropical fairy tale. Let me preface this by saying we prefer to avoid the crowds and are not froo froo spa/all inclusive types! :) The villa was superb~ exactly what I'd want and more than I even expected from an open air, cliffside abode in a rainforest. Due to the drought conditions we had virtually no bugs~ aside from the sweet goats and an occasional rooster we had quiet days and nights. I would recommend this estate to everyone.

The Mango Tree for breakfast every day... we loved everyone, and the food was perfect (guava jelly especially!). Order the ginger tea if you are a fan, incredible. Also the curry veggie roti~ omg! There is a trio of musicans who play banjo, fiddle and shaker who i wanted to take home with me~ adorable, I think Tues and Saturday nights.

We shuttled to Jalousie a few times, it's beautiful, but there are microscopic jellyfish right now~ and big ones too, you will get zapped, especially in the snorkle area...if you feel a little something, that's what they are! You cannot see them. We cocktailed alot at the bar near the scuba rentals, very hip laid back scene with good music and coconut punch from heaven.

We water taxi'd from there to Anse Chastenet one day and Anse Maman another day. I recommend Maman-- up just a bit from Chastenet, but TOTALLY mellow, quiet, a little tiki bar etc. They are closed one day a week. Just be careful snorkeling, I got hit by a whopper of a jellyfish there, and had to sit out the rest of the afternoon...but there was rum, so I lived.

Go to Ladera, a $12 ride from Stonefield, we made 6:30 reservation and arrived there at 4:30 just to sit in the lounge area cliffside and take in the view.... order their ginger cocktail~ our favorite! We had dinner there twice~ both times excellent.

We went to Hummingbird for dinner in Soufriere which was nice as well~ dancing and music and a lovely batik shop the owner Joan and her son are the artists. She was a very cool lady.

We did the sunset sail which was a bit spendy for the carrot sticks and beers at $100 per person for 2 hours~ I think I would recommend a half day sail, which I think were cheaper. Nice views and Nigel was a nice captain. But not 'appetizers' you may expect! Actually if you do the water taxi I spoke of earlier it is the same route-- so it's up to you!

We walked to the Piton Falls and it was very cool. Stop at Zaku's and buy a mask, I did!
We did the sulpher mud baths and the volcano too-- go early before the mud gets too hot or after 6pm. Interesting and affordable.

The estate spa was nice for the chocolate scrub~ it's very pretty there.

Mostly we just enjoyed making a rum punch at our villa, or floating in the pool (we left our rafts there for the next guests, bring blow up rafts for sure). Coffee in the morning (bring your own, if your picky!) on the deck with the birds and the little lizards, butterflies and rainbows over the sea, was idyllic. And the outdoor shower was the most amazing thing, warm water and cool raindrops. 100's of hummingbirds there, and they'd even fly into the shower with you!

Only one bummer: The villa next door to us had a couple come in mid week who and kept ALL their flood/security lights on outside their villa which shined very brightly on our deck like street lights~ 24/7. Lit the whole hammock/deck and the valley up, we couldn't sit out there at night after they arrived... which was really too bad. My only recommendation to the Estate would be to adjust all villa exterior lighting so that it does not shine onto other villas. I think they literally flipped the floodlights on when they arrived and never turned them off... too bad. Otherwise we felt like we were a million miles from reality! It was an amazing trip.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank HeidiLeeChicago
Atlantic City, New Jersey
Reviewed 17 April 2010

We stayed at the Stonefield Estates for the first part of our honeymoon in St Lucia and had a wonderfully memorable stay. Then we relocated to the northern part of the island and stayed at the Windjammer near castries, which we had no idea was a BIG MISTAKE to relocate to the trashy northern part & the cheesy commercialized Windjammer. In hindsight, we should have stayed at Stonefield for our entire stay, but, you just don't know what the resorts are like until you actually arrive on the island. oh well.

Regarding Stonefield: The private bungalows are situated in a village-like setting, which was sweet and we appreciated the privacy. while there we only saw a few guests and that was during the manager's reception on tues night. Aside from that, I felt like we were the only guests there. Wonderful!!

At check in: We were welcomed with fresh squeezed fruit juice and cool wash clothes. They put us in the Oleander villa. This villa overlooks two villas, but none look down on Oleander. Our mouths dropped when we walked in. So tranquil, beautiful setting, unbelievable view of the pitons. The rooms are slightly rustic elegance. We felt being so close to nature was romantic and much more enjoyable than a ultra modern 'hotel".

Outings: while there we just enjoyed the setting; walked to the town of Soufire once - its a trek, but its doable. Then walked down to the beach the next day. Another trek but we just wanted to enjoy each other & the natural setting. After our long walk we cooled off & relaxed in our private plunge pool. :-)

The Mango Restaurant was amazing; fresh squeezed fruit juice, fresh banana & guava jams, fresh baked bread at breakfast & dinner. All of our meals were delicious & could tell were home made. The restaurant staff is so cool, funny and courteous. We felt very comfortable there.

Overall this was such a special place. If we ever come back to St Lucia, we have no reason to stay anywhere else.

We both highly suggest the Stonefield Estates!!

Had we known how wonderful Stonefield and southern St Lucia is as compared to the cheesy Windjammer and dismal north we would have Stonefield

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Blusie
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#6 of 11 in Soufriere
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
Ti Kaye Resort & Spa
#1 of 1 in Anse Cochon

Been to Stonefield Estate Resort? Share your experiences!