“thoroughly relax in lush seclusion”

Stonefield Villa Resort
Ranked #6 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 27 May 2010

Last weekend while in St. Lucia, I had the pleasure of spending a few nights at Stonefield Estate Villa Resort. Let me start by saying that I thoroughly enjoyed my stay here. It was exactly what I was looking for… That said, if you go there hoping for the immaculate property depicted on their website, you may be a bit disappointed.

What was I looking for? Well, my desire was to thoroughly relax in lush seclusion, and that’s exactly what I got at Stonefield.

My villa, named Hibiscus – 1 of only 17 villas on property – seemed to offer the most secluded accommodations. It’s located at the end of a walkway and faces out over the forest, which slopes down, green and vibrant, into the Caribbean sea. To the left, a towering piton. To the right, plantain trees. Floating in the large, stone-lined private pool, no one could see me (or as pictured below, my wife)… and I could see nothing but rainforest, the sea, and the clear Caribbean sky. The only sounds reaching my ears were the many songs of birds, the rustle of leaves, and the occasional unleashed mango dashing through the leaves on the way down the slope. Definitely my idea of paradise.

OK, but what’s this about someone being disappointed if they expect what’s on the website? Well, maintaining a property in the Caribbean is hard, constant work. The heat, sea air, humidity and more all conspire to age our man made structures faster than you can imagine. Metal toilet paper holders rust, paint peals, wood bleaches, etc.

When in Barbados, I ran into the property painter at The House. I asked him how often he paints the immaculately white property. His answer: “Everyday. I paint everyday.”

Stonefield’s battle with the intense Caribbean climate has transformed the property from the picture-perfect collection of paradisiacal structures depicted on its site into a more rustic, “real” island property. Again, this was right up my alley as it felt very lived in… Almost like it was my own little island home.

Also remember to bring bug spray. Stonefield is located in the rainforest after-all.

This is an excerpt of a review I wrote for www.uncommoncaribbean.com. You can see the photos I took there: http://bit.ly/cWJht2

3  Thank BMF_UCPatrick

Reviewed 25 May 2010

Stonefield was the perfect destination for our honeymoon. Valna was the perfect hostess who worked out all of the details to make our trip a success. We stayed in the Bamboo Villa and couldn't have asked for more. The view from our bed past the hammock and through the tropical foliage to the water below was beautiful. (Use the mosquito netting at night to help keep the bugs at bay!) Our private plunge pool was a delight. We had a great amount of privacy and enjoyed the quiet surroundings and the tree frogs serenading us in the evening.

Dinner at the Mango Tree was delicious with a new menu every night, although a bit pricey. Definitely get the breakfast plan, it's worth it for the hot morning rolls and freshly squeezed juices. The Thursday evening BBQ was hyped up a bit and ended up just being not all that although the food was good. The sign recommends making reservations each night but we never had trouble getting a table and it was often only a few couples.

The spa was most enjoyable and relaxing. We got the couples massage and felt like jello for the rest of the day. A wonderfully romantic experience.

The packaged tours were okay. The sulphur springs/diamond falls are two of the highlights of the island and should be included in your trip if possible. The all day Castries Shopping Excursion was nice but we felt a waist of time and money - we enjoyed the Rhythm of Rum tour and seeing the Pigeon Island but didn't feel we got enough out of it. Our favorite adventure outside of Stonefield was snorkeling at Anse Chastenet...the snorkel equipment was provided free of charge by the front desk at Stonefield and we took a taxi drive (expensive) over to the neighboring resort. It was only about $25 per person to do the hour snorkeling trip but we actually saw more snorkeling around the marina at the resort than we did out on the boat. Although we didn't get to see them we heard that wild turtles would often visit the marina in the afternoon.

The trip was perfect for what we were looking for...a secluded location far from the maddening crowds. We loved being tucked away in our private villa in the trees and didn't roam out for much more than our meals and the couple packaged tours. If we did it again the only change would be to do more snorkeling and skip the Castries tour.

The front desk staff was great and accomodating. The Mango Tree staff warmed up over the week although we had a couple favorites. Although it was peaceful not having a telephone we did wish we could call out for room service a couple times. Our villa was kept clean and we got an awesome deal thanks to Valna's help and Travelocity messing things up.

• Stayed: December 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 May 2010

My husband and I just got back from Stonefield yesterday for our anniversary and I have to say it was absolutely amazing! Perfect from beginning to end! We were greeted with warm smiles and fresh gooseberry juice-a must have! George, the general manager is amazing, as is all of the staff! They are warm, friendly, professional and accommodating! They made every effort to make sure our trip was perfect! It's almost like a small family while you're there! They know you by first name and vice versa! We stayed in the Hibiscus villa, which is absolutely amazing! The view is spectacular out onto the ocean! The pool is big enough to do laps in, no plunge pools here! The villa was amazing, spacious with the outdoor shower, absolutely wonderful! The Mango Tree Restaurant does not disappoint! The food is delicious! We went through Jalousie Plantation to the beach and Stonefield is by far more secluded and intimate! Being right by the beach does not make up for what you can get at Stonefield! We weren't impressed with the food at Jalousie either! If you're looking for a romantic, secluded resort, Stonefield should be your choice! You'd be crazy to stay anywhere else!

2  Thank TiggerH427
Reviewed 11 May 2010

Travelled with my husband to Stonefield for the first part of our vacation to St. Lucia May 1st. We stayed in the Ginger Lily villa, and it had perfect views of the Piton, and a lovely pool. It felt like we were in another world. I liked the fact that there were no TV and phone, it felt so peaceful. (Blackberry had perfect reception) The view from Mango Tree is absolutely amazing and the food quite good. The breakfast spreads were so yummy and my husband LOVED the bananna pancakes. For the price compared to Jade Mountain and Anse Chansanet and Ladera, this place is perfect. It is cottage like, but in such a humble beautiful way. The bed was fine ~ not the most soft, but not terrible either. The pillows could be updated however. The only thing negetive about the villa was the fact that the outdoor shower (which was the only shower) did not have hot water. There is hot water in the bathroom basins but not the shower, so washing and lathering my hair was hard. We brought floats for the pool which I would highly recommend. We had reserved a dinner at Dasheene at Ladera but did not go because we felt the views could not be beat from Mango Tree, and I heard the food wasn't much better. (see review of Mango Tree). We had a car so we explored the south of the island everyday. Go to Jalhouse beach, don't bother eating at the beach restaraurant (they will only let non-guest go to the small restaruant area north of the beach and it was VERY EXPENSIVE) quality of food was very poor and for lunch it cost almost $100US for 2 without any alcohol drinks. We rented beach chairs for $20 a piece which we felt was worth it. The snorkeling is good but much better at Anse Chasnanet beach ~ amazing actually. We had no problem with sea lice, jellyfish or any sort of bites/stings and we snorkeled everyday along the southwest coast. Don't be afraid to rent a car, just don't rent from Cool Breeze (old beat-up vechicles with big blue signs in window saying it was from cool breeze) we felt like tourist idiots.

In summary, GO TO STONEFIELD! We loved it, even though we typically like modern, contemporary 5star boutique hotels, this place has a very special feel. You will not be disappointed.

Cheers

1  Thank Dpottle
Reviewed 10 May 2010

Have just returned from a week here and had a great week. Our villa to start with (Orchid) was not great, no pool or AC and lots of mosiquitos but we were upgraded to Tamarind villa which was far superior and was really fantastic, great views, very private, AC and lovely ootdoor shower. All the staff at the resort are friendly and helpful and will go out their way to help you.
The Mango Tree is a good resurant with great views, we enjoyed breakfast every morning looking over the Bay. Fresh fruit juices and omlettes for breakfsat are excellent and the Chicken Rotis for lunch need a special mention. The BBQ night we thought was expensive for what it is but the staff were happy to give us something else off the menu but we still enjoyed the entertainment.
Its worth going to some local resturants too, Martha's Tables nearby is great local food as is Fedo's in Soufriere.
If you want a challenge then you should climb Petit Piton, its very hard going, scary and requires a good level of fitness but the views at the top are the best prize. If you go then use a local guide, Marlon (Brando!) his nickname is good can be found at the Piton waterfalls which are worth a visit.

Getting a water taxi and going up the coast is worth it and make sure you finish off with a visit to the local fish fry in Anse La Raye on a Friday evening, great food and a good lively atmosphere.

Overall a great place to stay, make sure you take mosiquito repellant, the stronger the better.

If you like quiet natural places this is the place to stay as it is not a resort, we loved it for that reason.

Reviewed 5 May 2010

Stonefield is a one of a kind resort.It has some of the most breath taking views on the island.Not cheap but worth the money for the experence.If you want a truely romantic get away that youll never forget this the place.

Stayed: February 2007, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2010

My heart sank when the receptionist handed me the key for Hibiscus villa, despite me having specifically reserved the Frangipani villa with 50% deposit 6 months in advance, and re-confirmed this request by email one month before my stay in Stonefield Estate. Never mind, I thought, as both were premium luxury villas.

Hibiscus villa is situated at the furthest point in the estate, hence benefiting from being in a quiet location with only one villa (Tamarind) next door and an unobstructed front sea view with no other villas below or in front. As it is located right next to the rainforest, the Petit Piton is mostly obscured by the surrounding trees. Nonetheless I enjoyed a most romantic view from the veranda/swimming pool, particularly at sunset. It was daunting to watch bats flying in at night to drink from the swimming pool.

However its secluded location also means that one has to walk furthest uphill to the restaurant, reception and spa, not an enjoyable experience under the midday sun and tropical heat. The villa was decorated in shabby-chic style in keeping with local French-Creole architecture, and with an outdoor shower, it did give one a back-to-nature feel of living inside a rainforest. With such an away-from-it-all concept, there was no TV in the villa, only a CD player, but I could not understand why telephone was not made available. I kept wondering what would happen if there was an emergency (like a fire) and it would be impossible to alert the staff. Having walked up and down the hill twice to contact reception and spa, I had to rent a cell-phone from the hotel for $20 just to make internal calls (reception, room service etc) to save such inconvenience.

The kidney-shaped pool was large, about 10 by 25 feet in size, 2 to 8 feet deep, so one could happily swim in it. However being right next to the rainforest, it suffered from contamination of insects/plants/debris, and I had to request the pool attendant to clean it twice a day. The most disappointing fact about the villa was the poor air-conditioning. The reason why I paid for a premium luxury villa was solely for its air-conditioning. But despite setting it at 17C maximum flow, with the ceiling fan on as well, the room was still warm, particularly during the daytime when the sun was out. I did not dare to sleep with open louvre windows at night, partly due to security reason, and partly due to the thousands of insects waiting out there. And yes, I did have my fair share of mosquito bites, despite having used mosquito sprays, insect repellents, citronella coils and incense sticks.

I ate most meals at Mango Tree restaurant, which had a lovely sea view. The ambience at night was particularly hypnotic. Food quality was good and the staff very pleasant, though I would prefer listening to sounds from nature rather than the loud piped music.

Bamboo spa was a disappointment though, consisting of only 2 treatment rooms, changing rooms and an outdoor sitting area. Air-conditioning in the treatment room was surprisingly efficient, as compared to Hibiscus villa. The massage itself was pretty forgettable.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank 132s
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Ladera Resort
Ladera Resort
#2 of 11 in Soufriere
Marigot Bay Resort and Marina by Capella

Been to Stonefield Villa Resort? Share your experiences!