“Best Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Bike St. Lucia

Bike St. Lucia
More attraction details
Owner description: A bike company offering rides through the snaky trails of Anse Mamin.
Clifton, Texas
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Best Day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 February 2014

This was one of our best days on the island. A great guide (Scott) who explained the plant life and history of the sugar plantation ruins and then let us ride the trails on our own. The bikes are in great condition and the trails vary from easy to challenging. The beach where you have lunch is one of the most beautiful we've seen. They serve lunch - included in your fee - on the beach and it was delicious, fresh cooked and creative. We spent the afternoon snorkeling at Anse Chastanet. We were staying at Rodney Bay. They picked us up at our hotel and then wisked us down the coast on a fun and fast boat ride. It was a great day that we plan to repeat next time we're in St Lucia.

Visited January 2014

Newark, Delaware
36 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“It is not just about the biking”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 January 2013

First, to get it out of the way that if I was rating for the quality of the biking itself, my rating would definitely be lower. But that is not why it is a great experience.

We drove the 10 minutes from The Still Beach House along the steep bumpy road and made it to the Anse Chastanet Dive shop just after 8:50. The road was not as bad as I was expecting, had no real pot holes, just bumps, and had plenty of pull-offs to allow cars to pass. It was not dangerous with no drop-offs. We filled out our paper work and got on the boat to Anse Mamin. We really liked our guide Jaevon (not sure how to spell it) and he was quite funny and knowledgeable. He showed us around the trails, but spent an hour or so going over the history of the plantation, facts about the trees and fruit, and cracked open a cocoa pod, which we had never seen. He described it as a white alien substance and we took one of the goo-covered beans and sucked it. It tastes like a fruit candy. Then we got a green apple, which is not like apples in the states, but probably tasted better and was definitely juicier. Then we were on our own to bike. There are not many trails, but it is very nice, and unique. It was definitely worth it. It did not take long to do all of the loops so then we started on the 1,000-foot climb up the Tinker trail. My wife left her bike and I pushed mine most of the climb to the top. It is probably impossible to ride up. Down is doable, but rock/root step-downs on extremely steep single-track followed by hairpin turns were too risky for me on vacation. I rode down most of it. The view from the top is great, but it was super hot. This trail is worth going up even if just hiking.
Besides the Tinker Trail, the biking is nearly all flat and smooth and you can ride everything in less than an hour. The Tinker trail will take close to an hour on its own. We really enjoyed the tour and the biking, but it is more about the uniqueness of biking in a tropical setting right by the beach than it is great mountain biking. It is very pretty and peaceful. Some of the plantation ruins seem like they are out of a movie and birds are abundant. The bikes are lefty’s and were fine, but the front shocks were so loose even when tightened as much as could be adjusted, it felt weird until I just locked them.
Then we went to the beach and snorkeled on the right side of Anse Mamin, facing the water. We did not see a huge amount of fish, but the coral was very pretty and you can circle around a rock formation. It was a cool spot and worth a half hour or so. This was the roughest place that we snorkeled, but it was not too bad. After a debate, we decided to just pay the $20 for a burger from the beach restaurant and split it. It seemed absurd at first and we weren’t going to do it just out of principle, but we were glad we did. It says it is a steak burger with vegetables so we assumed they meant a side of carrots or something, but you get to load your plate with 4 or so great dishes plus a salad. As much as I wanted to say meh, it is just a burger, I couldn’t. It really was possibly the best burger I have ever had and the vegetable side dishes were all really good and unique. We were both full and satisfied even for the $20 plus tax and service charge. There were also 3 cats entertaining us at our table, two of which had a stand-off with one screeching at the other who just stared at it quietly inches away. The third walked over and lied down to watch the fight. It was so bizarre; people on the beach came over to see.
After lunch, we did not feel like waiting for the boat so we walked back over to Anse Chastanet. If I did this again, I would have hopped in the water first as I was dripping with sweat by the time we made it to the shade on the south far south side of the beach. We put our stuff down and snorkeled by the rocks on the left side, facing the water. This was the best snorkeling that we would see for the trip. We saw such a variety of sea creatures with huge schools and cool rock formations. I liked the little coves and small spaces by the cliffs where there were some really bright pink/purple corral.

Visited November 2012
6 Thank BBnugget
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Nice biking, good food, and great snorkeling too!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 December 2012

We had a cruise stop in Castries, St. Lucia and decided to visit Bike St. Lucia rather than do an excursion through the cruise line. My son and I did mountain/jungle biking through Bike St. Lucia, and my wife and daughter did the snorkeling tour through their affiliated site, Jungle Reef Adventures. We all agreed it was the best outing of our cruise!

For biking, we had a nice tour around the old plantation after we were fitted to our bikes. The bikes were in pretty good condition, and the tour was nice and friendly, and showed us the different trails we could take. Then we biked on our own until lunchtime (and could have afterward if we wanted).

The trails are decent (great for Caribbean) single and double track, and the place is nicely maintained -- also there are said to be no snakes (thanks to the importing of the Mongoose). They have trails of different levels, though most are Beginner level (as far as MTB trails are concerned), with a bit of climbing here and there but not many rock/rooty/technical sections. I was riding with my 7 year old son (who rides MTB with me a lot) and the trails were great for us -- we did not ride the hardest trail, Tinker's Trail, as I thought the climbs and drop offs might be a bit much for him.

My wife and daughter were brought from their snorkeling tour to the bike area, and we all had lunch together. They had fish and I had chicken, and both were quite good, as were the side dishes and dessert. During lunch, my wife and daughter raved about the snorkeling so much that my son and I decided to take the boat over to the snorkeling beach with them after lunch.

While there is a beach near the biking trails, the other beach they have is better for snorkeling. The water was truly crystal clear -- clearer than almost anywhere else I've been in the Caribbean. Lots of rocks/reefs not far from the beach that you could easily swim to, with TONS of different fish to see. If you've ever been snorkeling at Chankanaab in Cozumel, I'd say it is about that good.

We had a great day, and they got us back to the pier in plenty of time before our 4:30 cruise ship boarding deadline. I highly recommend Bike St. Lucia/Jungle Reef Adventures for some of the best biking AND snorkeling in the Caribbean!

Visited November 2012
2 Thank RobT70
London
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Awesome jungle biking with informative tour too”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2012

his was one of the highlights of our honeymoon in Saint Lucia this October. The biking is in-shore from the Anse Mamin beach, accessible just north of Anse Chastanet by foot or water taxi.

We fancied a bit of exercise and expected to turn up, rent the bikes and just explore so it was a little unusual to have a detailed explanation of how to use the brakes and change gears as well as a guided tour of some of the riding routes. The bikes were very good quality Cannondales, the route is shaded, and we didn't find it too buggy. This turned out to be really fun and great activity to do as a couple.

Joevin, our guide, was really chirpy and entertaining, stopping periodically for our group of four cyclists to explain the potential routes we could take, pointing out flora and picking various fruits for us to try (so tasty) and even opening a cocoa pod for us to try (like science fiction by the way – feels a bit like opening an alien pod and eating its brain!)

We also saw the site of the old sugar plantation and he explained its history and the production process. There's an old ruined house of the original plantation owner that's viewable too.

After 45 mins to an hour of being guided you can roam free around the various trails which have different levels of difficulty. We stuck to the “novice” and “adventurous” options but found there were often little off-trail options that I could have a go on to make life interesting while my wife stuck to the main routes. We lasted another hour and a half or so before being too hot to continue so we retired to the beach for a tasty lunch.

Visited October 2012