“Great escape from the all-in resort”
Review of La Haut Resort

La Haut Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Found this unique and charming hotel after taking a boat tour of the Pitons with Daniel, the enthusiastic and friendly owner of Feel Good Tours. We loved it - particularly after the enjoyable but predictable experiences at a resort farther up the coast. We loved the friendly and warm attitude of every single staff member we met. We enjoyed our delicious meals watching the sun set in the restaurant. We drank a little too much of the rum punch because it went down so easily. And we enjoyed meeting people from around the world who appreciated the same things about this charming location and its warm hospitality. So many of St Lucia's interesting features are nearby to explore. We loved Daniel from Feel Good...and his colleagues - who helped us see so much of the beauty we would have missed had we stayed on the northern part of the island. We thank each staff member at La Haut for giving us a lovely and memorable experience. And we thank Daniel and Peter for their time, enthusiasm and friendly spirit, as they helped us enjoy their island's natural beauty and inherent hospitality. Peter really made our last day perfect.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Lahaut_Plantation, Front Office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Dear McVdVelde,

Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at La Haut Plantation Resort!

We are delighted to know that you had an amazing stay here at our beautiful Plantation paradise and you enjoyed all what we had to offer.

We will be sure to commend the staff, Daniel and his crew for creating a memorable holiday experience for you.

Once again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

Booked using an Expedia x Groupon for 5 nights at La Haut. As a result, we were excited but a little weary as it seemed too good a deal to be true. Especially at the end of an excruciatingly long North American winter.

However we were absolutely thrilled upon arrival to find we were in paradise and that La Haut was in fact as great as the reviews.
We stayed in the Fond Cannes 2 (downstairs floor of villa around the corner from the main property). This meant we had our own kitchenette (not that we used it) and (most importantly) an unobstructed breathtaking view of the Pitons from our terrace. I mean, we woke up to see the Pitons and ocean from the comfort of our big comfy bed. I liked how being in the Fond Cannes villa was less busy and felt more intimate than the rooms on the main property. Vienne (I hope spelling is still correct after 5 months!) was always available quickly to run us back and forth by shuttle to our room.

Vienne was just one of the incredible staff members we loved. He picked us up from the airport and was our guide for a few trips, always offering information about things around us and giving us the authentic local experience. We loved how he took us to his favourite St Lucian restaurant in Soufriere and gave us the lowdown on where to shop and even helped us find fresh coconuts to drink from. We went back several times to the places he recommended and had the true St Lucian experience we came for as a result.

The lovely owners of the property had all of us guests to their terrace for cocktails one night and were incredibly warm and welcoming.
It was my birthday during our stay, and prior to coming to St Lucia we had booked our dinner at the famous "chocolate restaurant" a half hour away. But when it came time to leave, we decided to stay and were so glad, because the sweet women of La Delice had made us a special table with "Happy Birthday, Brenna!" written in flower petals and decorated with big beautiful flowers. We cancelled the other reservation immediately, as we felt so much more at home and happier at La Delice!

Speaking of La Delice, whatever you do, wherever you're from, you MUST eat the "bakes" at breakfast. They are served in little portions and the perfect breakfast accompanied by local cashew apples, bananas and strong coffee. Heavenly with the view from the restaurant!

A huge part of our love for La Haut also stemmed from the fact that many of the yummy fruits and foods we ate daily are grown on site and naturally.

They also went out of their way, even after I left, to mail me a special item I loved that I forgotten there (outside by the edge of the infinity pool on a cliff no less!). Top notch service.

I highly recommend La Haut for a romantic island trip or a family trip where you can spend real quality time together, and for their exceptional service and welcoming feel. This a place where you fall asleep listening to crickets, reggae playing very softly from the restaurant bar and rolling nighttime rains; not loud and drunk neighbours in the hallway or the nighttime "entertainment" at the mega resort theatre. They welcome you by name to breakfast and remember how you like your eggs.

Clearly I can't say enough about how much we loved our trip. I hope this inspires many more to come to La Haut and experience the same!

Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank Brenna D
Lahaut_Plantation, Front office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 July 2014

Dear Brenna D,

Thank you for your extensive review regarding your stay at La Haut Plantation Resort!

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to say how elated we are that you had a wonderful stay and our team member Vienne contributed greatly to a memorable experience.

Our aim is to provide top-notch service to our guests at all times and we are glad that this was the case for you.

Once again, thank you for comments and we look forward to celebrating another birthday with you sometime in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

If you are looking for the type of luxury 5 star resort hotel that could be transplanted to any hot beachside location in the world, and everything except the weather is as close as possible to what you get back home, don't go here.
Those sort of places, eg Sandals, Sugarbeach and Anse Chastenet, are great if what you want is to be pamperedin a controlled environment. I have been to these sort of resorts and enjoyed them for what they are.
La Haut is a totally different experience. It is much closer to what I think is the real St Lucia. It is owned and operated by locals. Staffed by locals who seem to enjoy their job and who genuinely want to make your stay as enjoyable as possible, but allow you to experience your holiday in pretty much whatever way you wish.
The views are already well documented by others. Every superlative applies.
The rooms are wonderful, spacious and airey - at least ours on the first floor of the converted old plantation warehouse was. Although without air conditioning, the high ceilings and cleverly designed louvres (with mosquito netting) allow some circulation of air, and despite the weather being exceptionally hot during our stay at the end of May, we never felt uncomfortable. The mosquito net over the bed is effective and somehow adds a bit of style.
Our room, the first on the first floor of the old building was much more spacious than the usual double room and comprised a huge double bed (with sublimely comfortable mattress manufactured by the owners other business down in Veux Fort), a kitchenette with fridge and microwave, sink etc, a dining table and chairs plus further chairs and coffee table. The ensuite WC/shower was also spacious and hot water generous and powerful. French windows onto the huge and private balcony with rocking chair was a favorite spot to drink in the view (and drink the rum punch) and watch the world go by. Nice touches were fresh fruit every day and the welcome spelt out on the bed in flowers from the garden, on our arrival. This room benefits from being close to reception, the bar and restaurant and main pool, but was not at all noisy. There are 5 or 6 rooms in this building and there is a cottage alongside. I did not see the other rooms further down the hill (about a 5 minute walk). Most of these are more modern, but perhaps lack the rustic charm of ours and adjoin the owners residence and the infinity pool, which guests can use as well as the main pool up until early evening.
If rebooking, I would certainly go for the same room again.
We stayed Sundfay to Thursday at the end of a two week sailing holiday. There was an informal guests drinks reception with canapes im the owners beautiful house on the Monday evening and a complimentary guided tour of the grounds in the morning, showing the vegetables grown on site, the sugar cane press (and the now semi retired donkeys that power it ), the cocoa bean drying tables, and all the different fruit trees. I didn't know there were 16 different types of mango and one particular fruit was renowned for 'renewing mens substance!!
The two level restaurant and adjoining bar is open sided and again the views are jaw droppingly gorgeous. Breakfast is more than ample with the chef on hand to cook your eggs to order in pretty much any style. Fruit, sugar syrup and cocoa tea, all from the estate, as well as all the usual juices, cereals and yoghurts, tea coffee, breads etc.
Dinner was also very good indeed - good varied menu of mainly local dishes, including great fish, all very reasonably priced, including the wine list. We ended up dining there every night escept one.
We had the benefit of a hire car. The roads are generally fine, although progress is slow with lots of bends and steep hills. Several people were staying without cars and took advantage of the complimentary shuttle bus to and from the town and beaches. Reception provides complimentary beach towels.
When we were packing to leave for the airport, the gardners insisted on cutting fresh coconuts for us to drink and provided a large bag of manos to sustain us.
The laid back character of the place and friendliness of the staff seemed to rub off on the guests, all of whom chatted to each other.
Sufriere town is not touristy and can feel a bit 'edgy'. There is a lot of poverty and some pretty desperate beggars, but if they get a bit pushy, there is usually a local around who will warn them off. Most locals seem proud of their town and p[leased you are there rather than being holed up in amn all inclusive resort.
Anse Chastenet beach is great for snorkling and a short walk takes you away from the lines of manicured loungers. The road to the beach is rough, but nowhere near as horrific as some would make out, provided you take it nice and slowly.
The road from the airport (Hewanoora) is fine and very picturesque, taking you through the least touristy part of the island. About a one hour drive.
In cionclusion, we feel we struck gold here. A really good experience and at a reasonable price.
We would definitely return..

Room Tip: First floor in the old building have superlative views, are spacious and airey.
3  Thank Mike W
Lahaut_Plantation, Front Office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear Mike W,

Thank you for your taking time out to write this detailed review regarding your stay at La Haut Plantation Resort! We value your feedback.

We are happy that enjoyed our breathtaking views, spacious accommodations, food and beverage offerings and hospitable service from the staff.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful Plantation Paradise in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

I spent 4 nights at La Haut and I just wish it could have been longer! I agree with previous reviewers that the views are second to none. I would be surprised if there is another hotel on the whole island with views like these! But I must stress that what made La Haut so special for me was the staff. From the front desk to the restaurant to the gardeners, every single person I encountered would stop and talk, offer assistance and seemed to just be such genuinely nice, friendly people. I was traveling alone so this really made a big difference to my stay. The owners welcome the guests to into their beautiful home for cocktails and food on a Monday evening which I would definitely recommend attending. The pools are lovely and both have breathtaking views. The gardens are also truly beautiful and full of birds. There is a free shuttle bus to Soufriere and the surrounding beaches but I also walked to Soufriere - it is maybe 20mins downhill and allows you the time to stop and take pictures of the view. I took the tour to climb Gros Piton which was very hard work but I would thoroughly recommend it! After I factoring in the cost of a taxi, entry and guide I actually doubt you could organise the climb independently for much cheaper than the price offered at the hotel. The driver even offered to stop and the hot springs on the way back at no extra cost so you really get 2 tours for one! I stayed in an upstairs room in the original main building. I thought it was lovely and spacious with small kitchenette, dining table and sitting area inside and balcony outside. It was more than I had expected. It was lovely and quiet and very relaxing. Fresh fruit was delivered to my room every day and there were fresh flowers which were very nice touches. I have written about the restaurant in a separate review but I thought the food there was delicious. I would not hesitate to recommend La Haut in the future. I have already suggested that one of my recently engaged friends gets married here! I hope that I will have the opportunity to come back one day. No it is not a big shiny all inclusive resort but that is exactly the reason why I chose it and for me it was everything I wanted and more!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank RaHuUK
Lahaut_Plantation, Front Office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 2 July 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for providing your glowing feedback regarding your recent stay at La Haut Plantation Resort!

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to say how happy we are that we were able to meet and exceed your expectations in all areas. Thank you for the recommendation, we appreciate it.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 24 June 2014

We had the joy of spending our honeymoon at La Haut Plantation in mid-June. Let me just start with this: you’ll be hard-pressed to find any place to stay in St. Lucia with better views than La Haut. They are spectacular…absolutely glorious views of the Pitons, Caribbean Sea, Soufriere town, etc.

We stayed in one of the three Cashew rooms, which I highly recommend as these have their own private balconies with incredible views and a hammock, couch and chairs. The Cashew rooms are a little bit of a walk from the other rooms and restaurant, but it’s a fun walk, nothing too strenuous whatsoever. The Cashew rooms also are closest to the owner’s residence, which features an infinity pool (a must-see) that is available to guests all day until 5pm. Monday evenings the owners welcome the guests to their home for drinks and appetizers. The other rooms looked great as well, and are right next to the restaurant, small boutique, and the other pool.

The food was outstanding, especially the breakfasts. I have to say that more emphatically – ESPECIALLY THE BREAKFASTS! Breakfast is a buffet and it’s some of the best food you’ll ever eat. Lunch and dinners are reasonably priced and delicious.

The staff is all so great and helpful and welcoming. La Haut really has kind of a family feel and it’s very much due to how wonderful the staff is. In summary, people come to the south of St. Lucia for the amazing views, and La Haut has to have the most spectacular views of any of the other Soufriere-area resorts and hotels.

Tips, recommendations, other notes:
-The beds come with a mosquito net, which is great because you’ll need it at night!
-No A/C, so plan accordingly if you’re the type who gets overheated easily. We had a fan over the bed but I didn’t see where you could change the speed – a higher speed fan would have made a big difference for me.
-Definitely consider booking some tours – we did the Sunset Cruise through Mystic Man Tours (awesome) and the Soufriere Experience through discoversoufriere.com. Both were part of the package we booked through La Haut so they were planned before we arrived, but I'm sure they would have no problem assisting/booking for you once you were there for your stay.
-Getting around isn’t bad. La Haut has a daily shuttle to one of the local beaches (seemed to rotate between Sugar Beach, Anse Chastanet and Hummingbird Beach), and any of the area taxi services can get you wherever you need to go for, generally, US$25-40 round-trip – we used Christopher Taxi quite a bit, they were great. If I had it to do over again I would have rented a car for at least a day or two. Don’t be intimidated by the roads – yes they are windy with hairpin turns, and yes you’re driving on the left, but you get used to it and there’s really not a lot of ways to get lost.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank David O
Lahaut_Plantation, Front Office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear David O,

Thank you for your taking time out to write this extensive review regarding your recent stay at La Haut Plantation Resort! We appreciate your comments.

On behalf of the entire team, I would like to say how content we are that you enjoyed our stunning views, accommodations, food and beverage offerings and efficient service from the staff. They will be happy to read your comments.

Once again, thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you to our beautiful Plantation Paradise sometime in the near future.

Reviewed 20 June 2014

I was expecting a lot more for my money but after seeing other hotels on the island I realized this is what $150 usd gets you in st Lucia. It was quiet and had a beautiful view and a beautiful pool just a short walk a way. It wasn't close to anything walking distance but a short driving distance to many things. If you like 5 star this is not the place for you but if you just need comfortable and breathtaking views I would recommend.

• Stayed: May 2014
3  Thank Contentinstlucia
Lahaut_Plantation, Front Office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 24 June 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for comments regarding your stay at La Haut Plantation Resort.

We are delighted to know that you enjoyed our comfortable accommodations and breathtaking views.

Once again thank you for comments and we look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Overall my husband and I enjoyed our stay at La Haut. We spent the first three days in Soufriere at another property and the last 3 at LaHaut. The views were amazing..... probably even better than Sugar Beach and Stonefield because you have an unobstructed views of the Pitons, sea, and even Soufriere town. I loved sitting out on the balcony in the mornings and during sunset, it was very peaceful and relaxing!

The staff at Delice's restaurant is wonderful, very sweet and friendly. The included breakfast was good, enjoyed the granola, had enough selection. The property is nice, the grounds are well kept, it's built on a sugar cane plantation that is still functional. The most memorable part of the property is the infinity pool and the views from it, truly breathtaking. Loved lounging out there and soaking up the sun. The infinity pool is built outside the owner's newly built house which is accessible to guests certain hours.

My main complaint is that I would not call this place a B&B. I was very unhappy with our room (the self-contained cottage, which was actually the owner's original house before he upgraded). It was in poor shape, the bathroom was modern which was good, but overall the entire space needed a facelift. After we checked in, Cassandra brought us to our room and told us that not many people stay in this room. Of course we were shocked and disappointed to hear this! She said most people stay in the newer Cashew villas which have better views. Of course by that point we could not upgrade or move to a different suite. Hearing that was an unfortunate way to start our stay at La Haut, and in all honesty I can see why she said that. The room was drab. It's a two floor unit, with a kitchen and living room downstairs, bedroom/bath upstairs with a balcony. We also were told we were going to have a mosquito net and we did not, when we asked they said they could not put one up because then we could not use the fan. We slept without the net the three nights and overall were ok except for a few bites the first night. However, we were on vacation and there to relax and we did that.

The main pool by the restaurant is nice, and bigger than the infinity pool, but not as good of a view.

Overall we enjoyed our stay, other than the restaurant staff and housekeeping staff, we didn't get a very friendly vibe from the other staff members. The plantation tour was nice. We did the shuttle to Sugar beach one day, and hired a taxi back because we didn't want to spend 6 hours there at the beach.

My husband and I loved Soufriere, we will be back to Soufriere, but I'm not sure if we'd stay at La Haut again. Perhaps if we'd stayed at the Cashew Rooms, we would have a better review of La Haut, but I can't speak for the those rooms.

1  Thank SappiNY
Lahaut_Plantation, Front Office at La Haut Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2014

Dear SappiNY,

Thank you for taking time to comment on your stay.

It appears that you enjoyed your stay despite some disappointments. Thank you for bringing these matters to our attention and we would like to apologize for any lapses in service you encountered from our team.

Once again thank you for comments and business. We would welcome the opportunity to serve you again.