Boucan by Hotel Chocolat
  • Breakfast included
Villa des Pitons(Soufriere)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
Tet Rouge Resort(La Pointe)
View Hotel
All reviewsbar experienceluxe lodgebar tourthe beancocoa nibspetit pitonrabot estateinfinity poolguest relations managerst luciasugar beachcocoa treeboutique hotelchocolate treatssunset cruisehotel's boatbeach shuttle
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 August 2014

We booked a spur of the moment trip to St. Lucia and decided on Hotel Boucan for its unique location on cocoa plantation and affiliation as a design hotel. Overall we had a very pleasant stay, though frequently my husband and I found ourselves saying that while Hotel Chocolat would almost have something right, it only seemed to get 85% of the way there (thus the 4 star review). Though everyone on staff was very nice, guests definitely had to take the initiative with things like the beach shuttle and planning outings. Another example is the beach experience. Though the hotel does arrange for a daily shuttle, it took about 15 minutes to get to the beach, there are no designated spots for Boucan guests once there and no guidance from hotel staff as to how to navigate the various seating options with Sugar Beach Resort. In fact it was the older man selling coconuts gave us advice on where to sit and told us what day cruise ship guests would be there later in the week.

On the positive side, the rooms are great -- we really liked the open air feel. The restaurant manages to make the most of chocolate, even if it can get a bit repetitive. We looked forward to breakfast every morning, especially the fresh fruit and juices! The pool is a great spot to relax after the beach, with a great view of the Pitons.

Do walk across the street to dinner at Ladera -- arrive early for a pre-dinner drink so you can take in the sunset.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank AP20002
Judy B, Head of Guest Relation at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Thanks for your review. We do cover advice on local beaches in the our 'book of knowledge' in our rooms. The best way to enjoy the beach is using Boucanier, our private hotel launch.

Reviewed 19 August 2014

Hotel: We stayed at the Boucan Hotel Chocolat as part of a two phase trip in St Lucia. We stayed for 4 nights in bungalow 1 on a half board plan. We chose Chocolat as part one so we could rest and recover from jet lag in a tranquil setting, someplace where we could sleep, relax and eat. Boy did we pick right!

I really, really loved the open air bungalow and clean historic feeling of the hotel and grounds. It was sheer bliss to sleep in nature after being on a long haul flight. The humidity and symphony of tree frogs during the night were much needed and appreciated as was the indoor outdoor feeling shower. However, if you're an a/c lover or a light sleeper or not fully comfortable with your travelling pal, I might foresee some issues with this choice. Breakfast was good, the menu was simple (smoothies and chocolate tea are a hit) and there was enough variety for the duration of our stay.

I would agree with other reviews that this hotel doesn't have a resort feel. The bungalows are beautiful and there aren't many people around. The main attraction is the restaurant. In some ways, it the hotel feel like a collection of bungalows on a chocolate plantation with a nearby restaurant.

The service was generally good, but one restaurant host had a blase and slightly annoyed attitude, which I wouldn't have expected from a small hotel of this nature.

Tips:
1) Sunset drinks across the street at Ladera is a must (but they aren't as good). Amazing view.
2) We had fun with the tree to bean and bean to bar activities. Would do that again.
3) We got ripped off by the Viceroy Sugar Beach /beach taxi arrangement. After being told by Hotel Chocolat that there was a shuttle service to the beach, we were happy. We were told that we would have to pay for sun loungers (I think you can lay by the beach for free?). Given my dislike of freckles, I'm forced to pay for shade. Viceroy charged $100 for two sunloungers and an umbrella and even for that price tried to stick us with the cheep version. Please. Totally not worth it. I would opt to get a taxi to a different beach.
4) Pina coladas at the bar are perfection. It's not one of my favorite drinks, but it was the most delicious one I've ever tried.
5) 2-3 nights is best duration, otherwise it might get a bit boring.
6) the hike to the top of the plantation has an amazing view - worth the sweat.
7) I recommend pre-booking airport and hotel to hotel transfers rather than using a taxi ($$)
8) hotel is walking distance to the hot sulpher springs

If I return to St Lucia, I will come back for a night just to hear the tree frogs and have lunch.

Room Tip: Even though our bungalow was directly across from the restaurant we were never bothered by other guests, or restaurant noise (and we were jet lagged and in bed by 9pm!)
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank pinkissima
Judy B, Head of Guest Relations at Boucan by Hotel Chocolat, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2014

Appreciate your balanced review, thank you.
We have a variety of beaches we can visit in our boat and will be reviewing in light of your comments. At. Boucan we aim to relax and reconnect our guests to nature, sounds like you did!

Reviewed 9 August 2014 via mobile

We visited boucan twice - once for the Bean to Bar tour and once for a pre organised meal which was a wedding treat from my wife.

The bean to bar was conducted on a balcony of a wooden shed type building which we never got to see inside. It was interesting and we enjoyed making our own chocolate. However we come from England and as we're regular customers of the Hotel Chocolat shops we kind of expected a lot more. We thought they might at least have a shop at Boucan to buy the chocolate?! Nope!

When my wife (then fiancée) booked the meal she was informed there was a special evening with BBQ etc so booked the table and made arrangements based around that. A few days before the event she called them, I can't remember what for, and they told her the special event wasn't going ahead - so if we hadn't called them to enquire about something unrelated then we wouldn't have found out about the lack of BBQ until arrival - shoddy customer service. We decided to go as planned for a 'normal' meal as we'd got transport and stuff booked.

The restaurant is nothing special. Yes, the view in daylight is fantastic, however it's very warm and stuffy, no air con with it being open plan (perhaps have an 'indoor' section for those who don't wanna melt?!), and no tablecloths, it's all a bit too 'normal' for the hype.

The service seemed to be very slow. We tried for a good ten minutes to attract attention of a waitress to say that we'd like to go over to the bar and have a final drink before our driver arrives so we could pay the bill all in one go; couldn't get anyone's eye so got up and began to walk over to the bar, then the waitress came rushing over with our bill which we'd never asked for. After our final drink I approached the desk and before I could even speak to politely request the bill, the lady stared at me and pushed the bill towards me on the desk without saying a word. Very rude, very cold mannerisms, the only place in two weeks that I didn't leave a tip because back home I'd have been tempted to complain to the manager! Most of the staff gave the impression they didn't wanna be there, which is odd because it's completely the opposite pretty much everywhere else in Saint Lucia. (We are very polite and well mannered do readers please don't assume we're the type who go marching in giving orders to staff!!)

Onto the food. Very well presented, quite tasty, interesting, but unfortunately not overwhelmingly magnificent. Not as good as expected and the total cost of a meal for two with drinks came to $207, around £140, so not good value for money at all. You could get a better meal for half the money in England.

At least we can say we've been, but we certainly will not be rushing back. If they cut the price, and added speed and smiles to the service, I'd be prepared to move it up to four stars.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Chris11111111

A few things seem to have added up for you here. We run our barbecue event once a week in the evening but never at lunch time, crossed wires here I think. The restaurant has a huge vaulted ceiling and three open sides with a breezeway and ceiling fans, giving a pleasant temperature as well as spectacular open views. The food was good but not 'overwhelmingly magnificent' which is quite a tall order.... No excuses for your comments about our service and we looked at these carefully.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

We did not stay at this hotel, but we did attend the Bean to Bar tour. It was fantastic! Kurt Regis was a fantastic tour guide. We got to "pick" a caco pod, taste the inside, and splice our own caco plants that will be planted on the estate. We leaned a lot about the agriculture that goes into making chocolate which was fascinating. Then on the second half of the tour, we got to make our own chocolate and pour it into a bar mold. We then took the bars with us when we left. It was a great tour and is a must for any chocolate enthusiast!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank April P

Thanks,it's a unique way to connect cocoa in the fields to chocolate in your mouth, all by your own hands!

Reviewed 31 July 2014

From the gatekeeper to the housekeeping staff, all the way through what a lovely experience.
All were friendly, funny, and helpful. The food and setting were hard to beat. There was a complete sense of serenity about the place and I cant wait to go back.

Hints to better? A bigger more detailed map of the nature trails about.....and someway to see the actual Radot Cocoa Estate on weekends as this was my third time there....on a weekend...leaving me yet againto see the cocoa plantation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks for hopping over from Barbados and appreciating the sense of serenity, it really is a magical place.

We can certainly arrange for you to see around our working estate at the weekend if you let us know next time. Our field team work weekdays and although the estate grounds are open, the team are resting at the weekend.