“An Enjoyable (but pricey) Lunch on the Beach”

The Great Room at The Jalousie
Ranked #17 of 34 Restaurants in Soufriere
Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
West Milford, New Jersey
“An Enjoyable (but pricey) Lunch on the Beach”
Reviewed 26 March 2014

Yeah, the prices were a touch high, but nothing shocking. After all, this place is right on the beach and part of one of the priciest resorts in the area. Service was very classy and efficient. The food was excellent. Portions weren't huge, but who wants left-overs when you're planning on spending the day roasting on the beach? The drinks were great. I'd recommend the watermelon mojito.

Visited December 2013

jackson MS
“Good Food, Expensive, Spotty Service”
Reviewed 10 March 2014

I hosted a group of twenty people here from March 4th_March 9th, 2014. We dined on the terrace of the Great Room on March 4th. The waiter promptly asked which type water we wanted and we were served complimentary appetizers & the water was served accordingly. We asked to see a cocktail menus and the wine menu. When I was handed the cocktail menu (he only brought one), I asked the waiter to let my guests select theirs first. He said "Of course sir, but what would you like?" Since I'd barely had time to glance at it I ordered some type of "Honey Martini....which was horrid). As I opened the wine menu, a man startled me by approaching me from behind and nearly putting his face cheek to cheek with me; asking if I needed help. He never introduced himself or his role at the restaurant, so I presume he was the Sommelier. I told him I had just opened the list, but wanted a good Malbec & Pino Grigo.He was either confused or kept trying to up-sell me on the Pino. Anyway, wine ordered, all is well & my cocktail arrives, when I discover that none of my guests had been asked if they wanted a cocktail. So, they placed their cocktail orders (still passing around one menu) and as a result, the cocktails and the wine arrived at the same time. Whether by design or not, I'll never know, but the Food Service Was Exceedingly Slow. Copious amounts of wine and bread were consumed before the food finally arrived. The entrees were cooked properly, they were hot and the presentation was good. Oddly, I ordered Sea Bass, but received halibut, which was very good. Another guest who had order the halibut, remarked that the sea bass was good also. We were never presented with any desert options, although we learned later that we could have asked for the desert menu. OK> Last night, March 9th, our same group (minus two) ate inside the Great Room, and this time, the staff got everything right. I guess we and they might have learned from our meal earlier last week. Entrees are in the $35 to $70 USD range. So all said, my experience with this restaurant was very poor the first night and spot on last night. My advice is to dine in small groups if possible. I think we might have overwhelmed the staff with a ravenous group of twenty our first night on the terrace.

• Visited March 2014
“Good but expensive”
Reviewed 7 March 2014 via mobile

Bargain time for you guys, 3 reviews in 1 here.

Firstly, don't believe any of the other reviews on here that say the Bayside is good. It's not, the food is horrendous and the staff not interested (apart from bbq night on a Friday where it's a bit of a laugh). At all times, it is seriously over priced.

The Great Room ... now that's a different matter. The restaurant really is trying to bring you a fine dining experience. It doesn't quite succeed but the dishes we had were well thought out, flavoured and executed (I particularly liked the Galician style octopus and squid) ... just not inventive enough for fine dining even though it comes with an aspirational price tag.

The staff are nice and attentive and treated us very well. We did some folk turned away for wearing beach shorts and sandals but, seriously, what do you expect?

Finally, the Cane Bar. The hotel serves sushi in their "rum bar" above the Great Rum and it is surprisingly good.

As sushi always is, it's pricey but every single dish we tried (over 10 of them) was tasty, well executed and, on the whole, quite inventive. The best dining at Sugar Beach for me. Plus, the staff had good banter and were very friendly.

St. Lucia
“Bayside restaurant at Sugar Beach Jalousie plantation”
Reviewed 20 January 2014

Let me explain - The Great Room is the fine dining restaurant here, however the Bayside Restaurant which is exactly as stipulated, on the bay with amazing views very calming and relaxing is in my opinion fine dining too. We had 2 waitresses - Kershamma and Janelle who attended to our every need, friendly but not intrusive. Chef Sidney and his team work very hard to provide an amazing dining experience. I must say the food here was equivalent to a good UK fine dining restaurant. The presentation was excellent, the fusion of flavours worked very well... Who would imagine Brie and watermelon would work!!??!! But oh yes it did! Succulent prawns as appetiser, and the Ceviche - incredible, I am not a Sushi / raw fish lover, but the ceviche was amazing! The mahi mahi for main was so soft it melted in your mouth, there is only one other restaurant actually in the UK where I had blackened cod that melted in my mouth like that! Rib Eye steak - perfectly cooked and seasoned. Then we come to the desserts, as if I wasnt already full - a platter of desserts - cheesecake, chocolate cake, panna cotta, cookie and fruit pot... incredible. Quite simply if you want an exquisite meal with awesome views and great service, you must try the Bayside Restaurant at Sugar Beach Jalousie Plantation. I would suggest you make reservations too.

Visited January 2014
New York City, New York
“Awful management, save your money”
Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We attempted to dine here on New Years Day. The restaurant was empty, only two tables were occupied. Because my fiancé was wearing shorts (there is a pants only dinner policy) we were told that we needed to speak to a manager. The manager told us he would make an exception and seat us. He proceeded to take us to the worst table in the restaurant, behind the pianist and immediately in front of the entrance. When we asked to switch to the patio we were told it wasn't possible and that we could only dine at that particular table. After 30 minutes of being treated rudely by several waitstaff and managers we decided to save our $400 and dine elsewhere. As we were leaving one manager angrily accosted us, demanding that we pay $14 for a bottle of sparkling water we hadn't had a chance to drink.

The management of this restaurant is laughable and clueless, not to mention inconsiderate. Dining here would be a terrible waste of your money and an endorsement of complete and utter incompetence. I have experienced better customer service at the DMV.

1 Thank Katherine G