“Beautiful little resort with friendliest staff”
Review of Still Beach House

Still Beach House
Ranked #4 of 8 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Vancouver, Canada
“Beautiful little resort with friendliest staff”
Reviewed 30 April 2011

I am a travel agent from Vancouver, Canada and visited The Still House with friends this April.
I was blown away by the incredible views from this resort.Beautiful blooming flowers abound. Excellent views of Petit Piton and Soufriere bay from our room
We stayed in a large suite, loved it, clean, comfortable bed, and loved the patio! We sat out every night and watched the Sunset from our patio. Amazing views of the Pitons, simply beautiful area, a little piece of heaven on earth. It has a very local feel, which we loved and the staff was wonderful. Air conditioned bedrooms kept the whole place cool.
The service was second to none: locally-owned and managed . Our room was cleaned and freshly prepared every day. Free wifi is available. A very nice breakfast overlooking the piton each morning was quite a treat. The atmosphere at the Still is warm, welcoming, relaxing and most enjoyable. A great base from which to explore this fantastic island. Go there, and have a wonderful holiday!
Soufriere is a charming and colorful town that is less touristy than some of its counterparts in the Caribbean and we found the people extremely friendly.
The Still Beach Hotel is located at the north end of the small town, so it was very convenient to walk the 3 blocks to town for the bank or the grocery store or the marina.
I'm looking forward to a return trip, and definitely recommend the Still to anyone.

Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank evabarton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Slovenia
Reviewed 23 March 2011

Have stayed with wife in the Room No.3 for 4 nights. Hotel has two double rooms (Room 1 and Room 2) and three suites (Room 3, Room 4 and Room 5). The room was clean and upon arrival nicely decorated with flowers. Big LCD with cable TV in living room with kitchen and fridge. Best part of course is balcony with magnificient view. Hotel manager Donnie was always available with tips and reccommendations. Beach is nice but there were no sunbed for rent. Having breakfast with Petit Piton as a background - that is why many visitors are coming to St.Lucia. Hotel has an ample parking lot and is 10 min walking distance to center of Soufriere.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank xelas
Portree
Reviewed 3 February 2011

Stayed here for a week. Price was excellent for the room that we had. Nice large four-poster bed which had a very comfy mattress. Seemingly they are made on Island and it beats most hotel beds I have slept on. Although the bathroom was small it was perfectly adequate. However there were no toiletries in the room when we first arrived and a towel was missing.

Being by the beach and being a keen swimmer I was able each morning to go for a swim early morning without the hassle of, packing a car, taking a change of clothes etc. My partner also enjoyed the beach so close by as she was able nip back to our room whenever she wanted.

The menu at night was not extensive, 4 items of each course, but did change on a daily basis’s. The food was good and also well priced. Mostly fish and meat. Staff were friendly and gave us some helpful advice on things to see and do.

I would advise fellow travellers to stock up the fridge with water, drinks etc as the bar did close early, compared to other resorts, usually around 10pm. There was no 24hr room service.

I really liked the town of Soufriere. It had unique architecture and some very friendly and helpful locals. I enjoyed the small definitely not corporate shops. It is not a polished town but it does have its charm. Most of all it did not have “tourist shops” on every corner which was pleasant.

Gros Piton is definitely worth the 4hr hike/climb. Sulphur Springs was a bit of a let down but worth a look. We took a boat tour with Mystic Man for whale and dolphin watching. We did not see a thing unfortunately. Scuba diving was fanastic. First time but really enjoyed it. I went with Chester who was very close to the hotel on the beach.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Inverness, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed here for few nights while attending a wedding. Was told about it on the Soufriere forum and seemed to suit what I wanted. Clean, Close to Beach, Good Size rooms and affordable. I had a room / suite with a Kitchentte so I could cook myself when wanted. My air / con was not working one night, but they sorted it out the next day.

Service in the restaurant was friendly and quite quick.

I agree with the last reviewer that they have a very good location. You really are on the waterfront. I thought we might be affected from the niose from town as we were very close, but we never heard anything.

Soufriere is a lovely town that still has some work to do after Hurricane Tomas. The road to the Sulphur Springs is closed in one direction but the detour is very scenic.

Overall a very good stay (if to short) for a very good price.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 15 January 2011

I stayed at the Still Beach resort in the last week of 2010. The Beach resort was just renovated after having been closed for more than a year, and now they have started accepting guests again. I stayed at the Still after a minor fiasco with my reservation at the Fond Deux--Monica at Crystals suggested this place. I'm glad she set this up for me. The Beach resort was perfect for my needs--I wanted a nice balcony overlooking the beach where I could do writing. My room (#3) was huge (for one person), and had a nice, though spartan, decorating style. The kitchen was nice, cable TV had all the channels, and the wireless internet access was a big plus. The room was very neat and clean. I got a lot of mosquito bites (they didn't really itch), but I became more saavy about using the mosquito netting by the end of the trip. Since I left the door to the balcony open, there was various fauna that entered my room, like a huge moth, a bird (unfortunately not a hummingbird), a 8-inch long spider, and various other insects.

David, the owner and member of the fourth generation of an influential St Lucian family, was often around, and he was very friendly and had many suggestions about getting around Soufreire and things to do. They also gave me a transformer to covert the British 220V outlets to US current. An interesting thing about the city is that everyone knows everyone, so when I mention that I am going scuba diving with Chester, or that Daniel ("Feel Good") is taking me over to Anse Chastanet beach, everyone knows who you are talking about. David, and Debbie (a friendly English woman who has a shop in town and at the Beach house) invited me to stay for meals.

A nice feature of the hotel is that it is right next to the Hummingbird--there is a nice (though slightly expensive) restaurant there, and the ladies at Hummingbird front desk can arrange trips or activities for you. The only problem is that the path through the parking lot is not lighted, so I had to use my iPhone flashlight app for light when I went to the Hummingbird late. Also, the hotel has an amazing huge deck that overlooks the beach, and is rented out for weddings, but I'm not sure how to turn on the lights at night, so I couldn't take advantage of it late at night (I could have asked David though). You can walk right onto the beach from the deck. Supposedly David will be turning this deck into a bar/restaurant--because it overlooks the beach it would be amazing.

This hotel is perfectly located in the city--off to the side of the city, but you can easily stroll into the city and get groceries or go to a restaurant, etc. I feel that Anse Chastanet beach is an amazing beach, and it is good to hop on a boat over there (I paid $30 round trip). The boats are immediately outside the Still on the beach, and you ask anyone for a boat and they will point you to the right person. I am sure that Jalousie beach (which is also 10 min motor boat ride in the other direction) is also nice but didn't get a chance to go. The beach at Soufriere is rockier, less fancy, has a lot of boat traffic, and lots of local kids, which makes it less desirable than the more touristy beaches which are more tranquil and set up for lounging. Regardless, this hotel is in a perfect location to get to all the beaches and sights in Soufriere, without having to pay the costs of a 4-star resort. This might not be right for you if you want a lot of pampering and room service.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Sam60763
Chicago
Reviewed 13 January 2008

Our experience at the Still Beach resort was not good. We were supposed to stay at the Plantation, but they messed up our reservation and switched us to the beach resort despite our protests. When we arrived, our room wasn't ready, and we waited 5 hours before we were allowed in the room.

Worst of all, they lost our bag for two days. Multiple attempts to get it back were met with apathy and more delays. The service at the restaurant was bad, and the food left much to be desired. Also, it closed at 4:00 pm, so we had nowhere to eat dinner except for the pricey Hummingbird Resort next door.

The living/kitchenette area was open-air and not air conditioned, so it was sweltering hot. Also, the stove and oven did not work. The store in Soufriere didn't really sell any food anyway, so we didn't have much use for the kitchenette.

The bed was surrounded by mosquito netting, but that didn't stop the bugs from eating us alive.

Do yourself a favor and think very hard before staying at the Still. We tried to leave early, but couldn't get a booking elsewhere. It was a bad experience all around.

• Stayed January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6 Thank schiffy

Travellers are raving about these Soufriere hotels

dcteabelly
Reviewed 25 October 2007

We had an absolutely perfect stay in St. Lucia, and Michelle and David of the Still made it so! They made the visit comfortable and memorable--exactly the escape I needed. Among the many highlights the stellar view from our porch at the beach resort, our dunk in the sulfur pools at dusk, and watching the plantation manager shimmy up the mango/papaya/avocado trees on the nature walk the still arranged for us (for no extra charge!) . Their warmth and hospitality turned our beach vacation into a true paradise, in ways no all-inclusive resort could have matched. My only regret is that I had to leave so soon!

I'm looking forward to a return trip, and definitely recommend the Still to anyone I know to be considering a visit to St. Lucia and the Caribbean.

I think the poor rating here is fake. We experienced NOTHING like what is described there. The Still's managers were very honest and helpful. It was a wonderful experience all around!!!!!

• Stayed February 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank dcteabelly