Still Beach House
Ranked #5 of 9 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 January 2013

When we arrived, the Still Beach House parking lot was empty except for an adorable young cat in the parking lot greeting us with cute meows. The view from the parking lot is stunning in all directions and I’m certain is the prettiest parking lot I have ever been in. We weren’t sure if anyone was there, but went down the steps (not close to being handicapped accessible) and found a worker in the restaurant. She asked our name and knew our room and gave us the key. That was easy. We brought in our bags and went down to the beach to snorkel and watch the sunset. Our room was great. It was very cozy and clean. The bed and bedside lights were awesome. The sheets and blankets were perfectly white and clean. The balcony was great and the view is hard to beat. We were in room 4 and you can see in our pictures that the view of Petit Piton was partially blocked by trees, but they are pretty as well. Room 5 would likely be more blocked, and the rest would have clear views.
It is not a luxury hotel and we have stayed at "nicer" or more expensive, but we just felt cozy and comfortable and just loved being there, plain and simple.
Our room had a blender, full kitchen, fruit basket, AC in the bedroom, and flowers scattered around. We were extremely comfortable and loved our stay. We had lunch in the restaurant one day and it was very good, well-priced and local-type cuisine. The restaurant is quite attractive and is a beautiful setting. We went to dinner next door at the Hummingbird and it was extremely good and reasonably priced. We chose to stay at The Still over the Hummingbird mainly for the balcony view and were glad we did. We did not go in the Hummingbird rooms, but could see them and The Still seems more private and intimate and what appears to be larger rooms. The only down side is no pool, but you have an ocean and a shower so it didn’t matter. Speaking of shower, the water pressure could be adjusted, but at full strength was basically a typhoon. It was an amazing contrast to the trickle we had at the Fox Grove Inn.
The included breakfasts were small and simple, but good enough. The only small negative we had was when we needed to leave by 8:30 one morning and notified them the day before and were told to just be there at 8:00, which we were. We ordered our eggs and sausage at 8:10 or so and reminded them that we needed to leave at 8:30 and said we would just have fruit if they could not do it that fast. They said, no problem. We got the scramble eggs, with seemingly hotdogs in ketchup at 8:35. I finished my plate by 8:36 and my wife was already laughing too hard trying to eat fast that I had to finish her plate and we were off at 8:40. It was not a big deal, but kind of annoying at the time, especially since the meal was so simple. When we had time to just sit and relax, it was quite nice and peaceful. We had to leave even earlier to do the Gros Piton hike and they did not offer a to-go breakfast of some sort, but we had the fruit basket in our room and got cereal and milk at the grocery store in town.
One of the best and most unique things about staying there is that it comes with your own free personal guide, Thomas. We had or own vehicle, but he rode shotgun as I drove and he took us up to the En Bas Saut trail, which you really do need help getting to (and 4wd). He gave us a ton of information about the plants, crops, and herbs as well as showing us and telling us about the mudslides from Hurricane Tomas, which was mind-boggling. Then he acted as our tour guide at Diamond falls and gardens. He is extremely knowledgeable and friendly.
The snorkeling was spectacular right in front of the hotel. It is on the north edge along the cliffs and is very cool, but very few fish. It has nice coral and rock formations and you can swim a long ways out, more than a quarter mile along the cliffs. What makes it great is the awesome drop-off from the cliffs above water to the great abyss below. It is the most dramatic by far on the island. I loved it, but there was very few fish, we did see some eels. I was way out there right before sunset a couple nights and it was very peaceful because you are all on your own. I really enjoyed it. It was fun just to swim freestyle over the drop-off as I did to make it back to shore before sunset. The beach itself is clean and nearly always has locals either fishing, relaxing, or playing. We did not encounter vendors here. There are two hotels, both with good restaurants. The bat cave is along the cliffs and there are places to cliff jump. The hotel has an outdoor shower and feet wash thing right off the beach which is always nice.
Anse Chastanet is only 3km along a bumpy and steep, but easy road away. Torrailes falls, Jerusalem baths, Diamond falls, Piton Falls, Jalousie/Sugar Beach, Sulphur Springs, and Dasheene/Ladera are all less than 10 minutes drive. En Bas Saut trail is only 6 miles but takes about 30 minutes because the road is so rough. The Gros Piton hike trailhead was probably close to 30 minutes as well because a closed bridge makes you take a well-signed detour.
The town itself is only a few minutes walk away and is pretty in places, especially from above, but is quite poor and crowded at times. The roads are phenomenally narrow and for some reason are 2-way. It would simplify things quite a bit if they just alternated 1-way streets. There are gutters along the streets which people fill with garbage everyday and then a cleanup crew walks through and picks up the garbage, seemingly daily. I’m not sure why they don’t use trashcans, but it is regularly cleaned and did not smell or anything. I did not feel threatened in town, but my wife was definitely a bit nervous when we went to the grocery store. Parking was not easy, but someone helped us find a spot a couple blocks away and we gave him a few dollars. I went and got the car and picked up my wife and groceries at the store. My wife later told me, she was not terribly comfortable waiting by herself. The streets are packed with people in the afternoon, and the streets are lined with parked cars. We folded in our side mirrors in town, which helped with passing other cars. Probably 98% of the people just walk by or nod, but the 2% are trying to sell something or get money. We never felt threatened and no one was pushy.
Anyway, the hotel is far enough away from the hustle and bustle of town and was extremely quiet even on Saturday night when you could faintly here music. There are green mountains to the east and North as well as The Piton to the south with many flowers and birds around the hotel. The sunsets and sunrises are both quite pretty with the Piton in the background. We enjoyed using our binoculars on the balcony. At dusk, you see flashes of black whiz by as a few bats are doing there best to take care of bugs. The mosquitos were not bad at all and only got a few bites at dusk and dawn. We left our doors and windows open during the day and there was none. It did get hot in the living area in the afternoon, but having the AC to go in the bedroom made it not bothersome. There was a nice flat screen TV for the few minutes we watched.
David, the owner was there everyday and goes out of his way to greet everyone every time he sees you and sincerely wants to help you get the most out of your trip. The funniest thing is that one of the two other couples staying there lives 3 miles from where we live. Most people we ran into had not even heard of Delaware and here we ran into someone right down the road from us.
We honestly loved our stay and felt so comfortable. We got great sleep in the dark quiet room, and it was very romantic. The bed was beautiful. We would recommend it to anyone. The value is exceptional.
Some of the negative reviews on here don’t just annoy me; they actually make me a bit angry that people could be so unappreciative of an amazing place and experience for not much money. It drives me to respond and defend one of our favorite visits to any hotel. We would stay here again if we come back and would look forward to getting there. If you have a problem while staying at The Still, then tell someone and I’m sure they would take car of you. The negative reviews seem ridiculous to me like they either just have a grudge or they never told anyone they had any issues. David, the owner, is there everyday, why not tell him if you are unsatisfied? They really do not seem realistic. The pictures are deliberately misleading, like the one of the entrance to their room, ignoring the ocean/Piton-view from their balcony and then complaining about the view. Nearly all of the bad ones are from people with only a couple reviews on TA. And their other reviews are excellent reviews of nearby places. It just seems suspicious. Please do not be persuaded by those few negative “scare tactic” reviews that are going way out of their way to try and get you not to go.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BBnugget

Reviewed 19 November 2012

Where do I even begin....okay let's start with the positives. First of all the main reason we initially chose this place was because of its location. It's directly on the beach and away from all the hustle and bustle, with a great view of the options. Secondly it's affordable. I think that just about sums it up when it comes to the positive.
When we first got to the hotel the place was completely empty. And I do mean completely. I had to shouting good day atleast four times before this lady came out. She was pleasant enough. Didn't ask for I.d or money or anything just took us to our room. In the two minutes she was rushing us off she did mention that the restaurant would be closed considering that my boyfriend n I were the only guests there so we had to resort going into Soufriere town for our meals...which was not that bad
When we got to our room, I must admit I thought it was relatively clean. That was until I looked up at the sheets on the bed and realised that it was covered in dead bugs, mosquitoes and a few leaves. I thought I'd call someone to clean it up when came this knock on our door. I'm thinking these people are getting good at anticipating my needs. Again, I was way off. At our door was a beggar. Yep! He wanted to get some loose change to get something to eat. Way to go at protecting your guests from intruders.
Then came nightfall and we go for a shower before bed only to realise that our bathroom pipes don't work. We get in touch with a security guard since he was the only one there and he in turn got in touch with his boss who "allowed" us to use another bathroom in another room. At this point I'm so shocked at what's going on I cannot be upset.
Morning comes and its hardly seven o'clock and this huge hammering starts on the roof of our room. Yep...maintenance is going on already. Go down for breakfast...not too bad. Met the owner of the hotel, who is really a nice man but that did not compensate for the crappy time we had. So we decided to live the place before it was even eight am. Oh did I mention that dispite all that we were still charged the full price of the room! Seriously! I shall never return there nor would I recommend it to anyone. Unless you're desperate for cheap place to rest ur head for the night.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank QueenB247
Reviewed 11 November 2012

I was very nearly put off staying here by the review which said
"Don't stay here it will ruin your holiday"
I ignored it and am glad I did.
The plumbing was not the best admittedly but the location of the place would be hard to improve on.
The staff were really friendly, the owner David was a top man and my 5 days stay was great!
I'll be going back even if they haven't sorted the plumbing out.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank Gareth C
Reviewed 9 November 2012

While at the Still Beach House recently there were improvements being made to Room 5, the redone shower etc. is lovely. There's still work to be done but they are improving. The property is located on the Beach and I could hear the waves lapping against the shoreline from my room. The proximity to the town is excellent and one can easily get around. The Manager, David was very helpful in providing tips and information.

Room Tip: Room No. 3 is absolutely the one to choose
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Ermin M
Reviewed 11 October 2012

I still regret every moment of our time at the Still Beach. On arrival we heard people saying " the people they come" so we made our way down the stairs. There is no reception, just the maid and the security man to meet us. Thomas is the guy who is going to look after us we were told. On entering our accomodation the room was very dark. We opened the curtains to be greated by a view of a boarded up window. Then opened the other set of curtains to wooden slats and mossie nets. We had a 4 poster bed. This seemed to take up most of the space in the room it looked a bit silly. This did have mossie nets draped around the posts. We also had a large fridge in the room. Our self catering items were 2 cups 2 plates 2 forks one sharp knife and a small wooden spoon along with a toaster and kettle. The airconditioning was fairly good in the room. You need this in St Lucia. We also asked about the WIFI you get in the room and the maid grunted and pointed to the box on our terrace. All open with wires exposed. Our balcony area was ok and the view is the only thing that has a wow factor. Our WIFI was not working from the moment we arrived. We spoke to Thomas who told us it should be fixed tomorrow. The bathroom was fun, we could not have a warm shower as when you put the hot and then mix with cold. The cold takes over. It was too hot to use alone without cold. We headed down for breakfast. There is no set time for breakfast. It seemed that we got breakfast once the lady had finished her cleaning duties thats when breakfast seemed to happen. Once being told we could sit. A rather rude lady said what would you like to drink? We both said coffee.... we were told sorry no coffee. We have tea... Rose or Ginger. "what would you like for breakfast?" we say what do you have? Eggs... Ok we will have eggs!! The eggs arrived what seemed like hours later and what is put before us.... Scrambled eggs and lettuce. We got this pretty much most days with random fruit and bread. We were meant to be on a romantic vacation and this turned out to be a nightmare. We were told on day three that the phone line is down and this is why the wifi is not working. We are supposed to be staying for 11 nights and by day 3 we had had enough. Day4 we receive a duvet change. We came back to the room and could smell a really strong smell, this smell was coming from the new duvet. It was a strong smell of cooking, like the sheets had been stored in the spices cupboard. We found a resort next to the still beach "the humming bird" thank god for this place. There is a restuarant there a swimming pool a bar and wifi. We met the owner who welcomed us to use the swimming pool and wifi. You cannot really use the beach as there is constantly young lads who intimidate you. We booked into another resort at the top of the island. We endured 5 days of this and I am writing this to make sure that you DO NO STAY here or even worse book the wedding package/honeymoon!

Room Tip: Only tip is do not stay here
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jemstars1
Reviewed 20 July 2012

First off being an Islander I'm very familiar with the island living. I say this because I don't want anyone to think this is a spoil American wanting behond. We spent 2nights & 3 days (July 2012) at the Still I regreted every minute of it. We call the Onwer David to confirm our reservation the day before because family/friends wasn't aware the Still was still open. We got David which he promise to call back but he never did (hint to run). We checked in to a nasty bathroom (pic's posted), no iron which the staff call David to bring one David promise he would but we never got it grant it this request was made mid day. My boyfriend and I had dinner reservation for 8pm and didn't know how we was coming to look appropriate without press clothes. Since this is only a 5 room hotel we walked around to see if other guests had an Iron but we only from one of the guest sitting by the bar upset because their toilet was over flowing ang since the Staff ALL leaves at 4pm and David is no where to be found she and kids couldn't use the toilet. Thank God for the Humming Bird Hotel next door that borrowed us an Iron (at no charrge) and they also borrow us a plug converter because the Still couldn't accommodate USA plugs. The biggest problem I had is, none of the rooms had telepones. There is one phone at the Still and it's in the Staff area which they ALL leaves at 4pm. It's very unsafe to have guest staying at your hotel and they do not have access to a phone, very very unsafe. Oh but wait we did see a secruity guard on site which of course advise us he couldn't do anything for us. When we asked him to call the Owner David, he said he couldn't and that he was in Castries (which is an hour drive). The menu was only chicken w/chow mein or fish w/chow mein but please eat before 4pm. Once again Thank God for the Humming Bird next door who is fully staff and stop serving dinner at 10pm with choices on their menu. For only a 5 rooms motel (yep it shouldn't be class as a beach house or hotel) the staff should have a better handle on the up-keep of the rooms. But one of the staff Shera was really nice. People pay alot of money to come and enjoy themselves they should get better service.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank IslandBeauty79
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We stayed and our friends next door in the 2 single rooms for 17 nights. The reviews on trip advisor had us all very worried. Our arrival was nothing short of amazing, our rooms were spotless and waiting for us. Full of flowers and fruit. Swan towels and the whole bit. Welcome cocktail, orientation to the locals and what a meal! Like every restaurant in Soufriere, the meals are over priced for what you get. The breakfasts every morning were spectacular and always more than enough to eat. The girls were always eager to bring us our favorite juices and fruits and coffee as soon as we sat down. Essentially we became close friends and they were always eager to hear of our adventures when we came home at the end of the day.
We even fell in love with the night security guard!
The view is so breathtaking it will forever be in my mind. The flowers, the birds, even the parking lot is georgeous!
We are divers and we were guided to Chester next door. We lets put it this way, we had planned to do 10 dives. We ended up doing 24! Now that is a perfect dive operator.
The owner of the Still Beach House invited us up to the Still Plantaion. We came home with our pockets and bags bulging with fruit and memories.
There could not be a more pleasant sleep than on a King size 4 poster bed. Crisp clean fresh linens every 3 days. The ocean soothing you to sleep everynight.
To sum it all up. Its all about what you need. We all live a pretty sweet life at home. If you need high end, then this is not the place for you. Go to a 5 star all inclusive and pay for it. Its more than enough for just about everyone else. The still Beach House far exceeded our expectations. Take my advice, go for it.The charm of the Still Beach will grow on you and you'll be writing the next review.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends