“Fantastic Location & Value for Money”
Review of Still Beach House

Still Beach House
Ranked #5 of 9 Soufriere B&B and Inns
Reviewed 21 January 2011

Stayed here for few nights while attending a wedding. Was told about it on the Soufriere forum and seemed to suit what I wanted. Clean, Close to Beach, Good Size rooms and affordable. I had a room / suite with a Kitchentte so I could cook myself when wanted. My air / con was not working one night, but they sorted it out the next day.

Service in the restaurant was friendly and quite quick.

I agree with the last reviewer that they have a very good location. You really are on the waterfront. I thought we might be affected from the niose from town as we were very close, but we never heard anything.

Soufriere is a lovely town that still has some work to do after Hurricane Tomas. The road to the Sulphur Springs is closed in one direction but the detour is very scenic.

Overall a very good stay (if to short) for a very good price.

• Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 15 January 2011

I stayed at the Still Beach resort in the last week of 2010. The Beach resort was just renovated after having been closed for more than a year, and now they have started accepting guests again. I stayed at the Still after a minor fiasco with my reservation at the Fond Deux--Monica at Crystals suggested this place. I'm glad she set this up for me. The Beach resort was perfect for my needs--I wanted a nice balcony overlooking the beach where I could do writing. My room (#3) was huge (for one person), and had a nice, though spartan, decorating style. The kitchen was nice, cable TV had all the channels, and the wireless internet access was a big plus. The room was very neat and clean. I got a lot of mosquito bites (they didn't really itch), but I became more saavy about using the mosquito netting by the end of the trip. Since I left the door to the balcony open, there was various fauna that entered my room, like a huge moth, a bird (unfortunately not a hummingbird), a 8-inch long spider, and various other insects.

David, the owner and member of the fourth generation of an influential St Lucian family, was often around, and he was very friendly and had many suggestions about getting around Soufreire and things to do. They also gave me a transformer to covert the British 220V outlets to US current. An interesting thing about the city is that everyone knows everyone, so when I mention that I am going scuba diving with Chester, or that Daniel ("Feel Good") is taking me over to Anse Chastanet beach, everyone knows who you are talking about. David, and Debbie (a friendly English woman who has a shop in town and at the Beach house) invited me to stay for meals.

A nice feature of the hotel is that it is right next to the Hummingbird--there is a nice (though slightly expensive) restaurant there, and the ladies at Hummingbird front desk can arrange trips or activities for you. The only problem is that the path through the parking lot is not lighted, so I had to use my iPhone flashlight app for light when I went to the Hummingbird late. Also, the hotel has an amazing huge deck that overlooks the beach, and is rented out for weddings, but I'm not sure how to turn on the lights at night, so I couldn't take advantage of it late at night (I could have asked David though). You can walk right onto the beach from the deck. Supposedly David will be turning this deck into a bar/restaurant--because it overlooks the beach it would be amazing.

This hotel is perfectly located in the city--off to the side of the city, but you can easily stroll into the city and get groceries or go to a restaurant, etc. I feel that Anse Chastanet beach is an amazing beach, and it is good to hop on a boat over there (I paid $30 round trip). The boats are immediately outside the Still on the beach, and you ask anyone for a boat and they will point you to the right person. I am sure that Jalousie beach (which is also 10 min motor boat ride in the other direction) is also nice but didn't get a chance to go. The beach at Soufriere is rockier, less fancy, has a lot of boat traffic, and lots of local kids, which makes it less desirable than the more touristy beaches which are more tranquil and set up for lounging. Regardless, this hotel is in a perfect location to get to all the beaches and sights in Soufriere, without having to pay the costs of a 4-star resort. This might not be right for you if you want a lot of pampering and room service.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank Sam60763
Reviewed 13 January 2008

Our experience at the Still Beach resort was not good. We were supposed to stay at the Plantation, but they messed up our reservation and switched us to the beach resort despite our protests. When we arrived, our room wasn't ready, and we waited 5 hours before we were allowed in the room.

Worst of all, they lost our bag for two days. Multiple attempts to get it back were met with apathy and more delays. The service at the restaurant was bad, and the food left much to be desired. Also, it closed at 4:00 pm, so we had nowhere to eat dinner except for the pricey Hummingbird Resort next door.

The living/kitchenette area was open-air and not air conditioned, so it was sweltering hot. Also, the stove and oven did not work. The store in Soufriere didn't really sell any food anyway, so we didn't have much use for the kitchenette.

The bed was surrounded by mosquito netting, but that didn't stop the bugs from eating us alive.

Do yourself a favor and think very hard before staying at the Still. We tried to leave early, but couldn't get a booking elsewhere. It was a bad experience all around.

• Stayed: January 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
6  Thank schiffy
Reviewed 25 October 2007

We had an absolutely perfect stay in St. Lucia, and Michelle and David of the Still made it so! They made the visit comfortable and memorable--exactly the escape I needed. Among the many highlights the stellar view from our porch at the beach resort, our dunk in the sulfur pools at dusk, and watching the plantation manager shimmy up the mango/papaya/avocado trees on the nature walk the still arranged for us (for no extra charge!) . Their warmth and hospitality turned our beach vacation into a true paradise, in ways no all-inclusive resort could have matched. My only regret is that I had to leave so soon!

I'm looking forward to a return trip, and definitely recommend the Still to anyone I know to be considering a visit to St. Lucia and the Caribbean.

I think the poor rating here is fake. We experienced NOTHING like what is described there. The Still's managers were very honest and helpful. It was a wonderful experience all around!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank dcteabelly
Reviewed 19 March 2007

If you're the sort that needs the all-inclusive polish of a Sandals-like resort, Soufriere isn't for you (unless you can afford Anse Chastonet). If you want to experience St Lucian culture and it's beautiful sights and sounds, you should check it out.

We stayed at the beach resort for three nights, then headed into the hills and stayed on the Plantation for the remainder of our trip. Both had their strong points but we prefered the self-catered option of the Plantation.

*beach resort...
views: brilliant
seafood: brilliant
staff: 50/50 rude/sweet
SCUBA: unmatched (brilliant)
The fact that it's not Castaries: priceless

*plantation resort...
views: nice
food: self-catered
staff: absent (was like a ghost town in the off-season)
accomodations: great - we were pretty much left alone in the place (felt like our own cottage in the Caribean)

5 Soufriere hints:

1). Get out of dodge when the cruise ships come in. They're generally full of yobbish masses who swamp the town and beaches. Not a pretty sight in an otherwise quaint cove.

2). Hike over (or take a water taxi) to Anse Chastonet to see how the other set live. It's morbidly expensive to stay there, but we just used them for their [----] beaches

3). Black-on-White racism exists in it's purest form in Soufriere. Expect insults, slurs, expecially in "town". Let it roll off your back - these jerks spoil it for the overwhelming number of St. Lucians who are kind-hearted and welcome visitors.

4). try scuba-diving (or snorkelling). you'll be rewarded in droves.

5). Skip the dumb, smelly volcano tour.

Stayed: April 2004
9  Thank Toronto_5596865
Reviewed 8 January 2007

We stayed here for 4 nights, at the plantation bit (not the beach resort), with an Explore! group we were travelling with. There is no reception, so on arrival the security guard simply told our tour leader that she had to look for suitable vacant rooms by opening the ones with keys in the doors! This took quite some time and then It turned out that there were not enough rooms. We then learend that the owner had been sitting in one of the rooms all along ignoring us completely. He then came out and said that the fax he received had only made a reservation for 16 people not 19, but refused to show the fax (the same one every other hotel we had stayed at during the past fortnight had accurately received). He was very rude, and was shouting at both our leader and other guests, and telling us that we would have to share rooms. After much argument, he agreed to have a couple of the group stay at the beachside resort where there were rooms available.

The place really needs alot of maintenance work - our toilet did not work properly, the shower leaked, the tiles on the floor outside the bathroom door were all broken, and our bed was flea infested!

On our third day, the restaurant manager from the beach resort offered to make a bonfire and BBQ on the beach for us. She said that she would do seafood platters with prawns, fish, scallops and so on and the she would tell us the price later. Later in the day she gave us a menu and we were a bit surprised to see that she was charging EC$35 for the prawns and EC$70 for the seafood platter, but we thought it would be worth it for some great seafood fresh from the sea and the beach bonfire. However, for our EC$35 (about £7) we got only 3 medium sized prawns, and the seafood platter was disgusting - simply frozen seafood extender mix mushed with some tinned tomato and an extra prawn thrown in! It was the worst tasting meal I had in two weeks in the Carribean and the most expensive. To put it into context, the night before at the fish market I'd had two great pieces of Mahi Mahi, an entire bowl of prawns and another entire bowl of octopus (all fresh!) for EC$80!

Stay away - the accomodation is terible, the owner and staff rude, and completely overcharging for truly bad experiences!

• Stayed: January 2007
9  Thank LoopyBug
Reviewed 25 August 2006

We stayed at the Still Beach Resort for 5 days in the 2nd week of July. Our choice was totally based on the fact that the SCUBA Dive shop was on location. Chester runs the dive shop and he's a real nice guy. He took us to dive the Pitons and it was beautiful one of the best we have found in the Caribbean. It had been a hard decision between the Still and the Hummingbird Resort "next door". I didn't know until I got there that the two are basically on top of each other. This was good.

I emailed the hotel about a taxi to meet us at the airport. They sent the "guy" they use. His name is Christopher and he his very good. We took the waterfall tour with him and it was great...highly recommended. Our flight came in late and Christopher had sandwiches and beer waiting in the room for us since the restaurant was closed.

We were definitely there off-season. The restaurant was not open in the evenings and there isn't really much of a bar. BUT that's the best part about the Hummingbird Resort right next door. Take the road or just walk down the beach, it's very close. The restaurant was wonderful and the bar was very nice. There is a great boutique on site.

The rooms at the Still were big and clean. Air conditioned bedrooms kept the whole place cool. Nice deck facing the Pitons. The grounds are beautifully landscaped. Fresh flowers every day. Big tiled baths with fresh flowers. Full, equipped kitchen. I think we were one of only 3 rooms rented the first night or 2, so it's very quiet..

Walk to town and don't let the locals scare you. St. Lucians are very nice. Yes, there are some beggars but you find that on every island. Just tell them "no" and there off. (If you do give something, they will be your best friend for the rest of the time you are in town.....same with the pot dogs). It's only a couple of blocks across the bridge in town, don't miss Archies. Great place to eat but even better to sit at the bar and watch the main street..

The Still Beach Resort was nice but now that I have been there, I would stay next door at the Hummingbird. It's just as close to the dive shop and the restaurant had wonderful fresh fish dishes. We took many meals there. Plus the bar is very nice and staff friendly.

• Stayed: July 2006