“The Perfect Honeymoon!”
Review of Crystals St Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My wife and I could not have asked for a more romantic honeymoon during our stay at Crystals in St. Lucia. From the moment we arrived Monica was very professional and the entire staff treated us as though we were family. We stayed in the Papaya Cottage, and we would highly recommend doing so, the pool/sun deck views are absolutely amazing! Breakfast was served every morning promptly, our bathrooms and bedroom were cleaned everyday, along with our bath towels and bed sheets. Throughout the week Monica and the staff throw a happy hour in the Tree House Bar with appetizers, wine, rum punch, etc. (Rum punch is strong, but so good). The dogs on the property were no problem what so ever, they're very well behaved and incredibly friendly. We met some very interesting families from all over the world and had a great time with them throughout our trip, it was a pleasure to get to know them all!

In response to one of the recent bad reviews:
One reviewer said that the bed sheets, pillows, and bathrooms weren't cleaned properly...
EVERY SINGLE DAY our entire cottage was cleaned, the bed was made, we received fresh bath towels, and the staff was always courteous, prompt, and respected our privacy when desired.

You also said that the breakfast was "pathetic?"
Breakfast each day consisted of eggs, pancakes with coconut and syrup, fresh bananas, apples, some native fruit to the island, and unbelievable bread and butter. My wife and I ate breakfast every day we were there at Crystals, the food is delicious, and it was more than enough for two people, in fact we usually couldn't finish our entire meal because we were so full.

You also complained about the rooftops on the cottages...???
You're in the middle of a jungle on an island! Honestly, what did you expect when you booked your trip to St. Lucia? Did you want a Hilton Resort with valet parking when you looked at the pictures? Let me remind you, this isn't your typical vacation, and this isn't your typical hotel. Crystals was an absolute adventure, you have your own private pool, a fantastic staff, and amazing food each and every day. Our doors were never locked, we left expensive cameras and cash in plain sight...all because we knew we had nothing to worry about when we stayed there.

So in response to your review, I would suggest that you choose either a different island, or a different hotel, because this type of vacation just simply isn't for you.

Monica, we would like to thank you and your staff for our incredible stay at Crystals, we couldn't have picked a better place to spend our honeymoon. It's not a question of whether or not we will return, just a matter of time, we'll see you again one day...thank you for everything.

Best of luck,
JB & Brandie

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jonathan O

Reviewed 25 September 2011

My wife and I spent nine days at Crystals and they were memorable this month. Crystals is a unique boutique hotel that has taken on the personality of it's owners Monica and Martin Charles.Located several miles north of Soufrieres on a hill above the Pacific, it affords great views of the Pitons and is handy to most of the islands tourist attractions.
Crystals is however remote enough so that guests can relax in a peaceful tropical surrounding from their decks,or spashpool. The treetop bar and restaurant become an evening gathering place for guests who gather there to discuss their days adventure before making dinner decisions while listening to Martins music.
Accomodations include a hearty breakfast of fresh fruit,eggs, and pancakes which is sure to
satisfy.
The cottages are both spacious and uniquily decorated, and the staff couldn't be nicer. The website is a true depiction of what you can expect. We loved it!

Room Tip: South facing accodomations have best views
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank robert r
Charles3, General Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2011

I thank you profoundly for your honest and kind review, very well appreciated indeed.
One slight typo the west coast of St Lucia Soufriere is on the Caribbean sea and the east coast is the Atlantic.
trying hard as usual to keep up our quality and just made the front cover of a well known English magazine for Weddings, rather a wonderful surprise when I looked at the issue(thought it looked familar,ha),a nice accomplishment for our small property.
Well I wish you well and hope one day we will have the pleasure of your company back here at Crystals
Monica and Martin

Reviewed 23 August 2011

Returned back from Crystals last Saturday evening. My wife and I went there for four days to celebrate our 28th anniversary. We were missing the place (and the people) halfway on our flight back!!

From the moment we arrived and were greeted by Martin and Monica we felt like we were at our home away from home. Of course having stayed here before, we were already familiar with the warmth of these two fine people.

We had stayed in the Calabash the last time (and absolutely loved that room). It was taken this time and we ended up in the Papaya. Really they are both fantastic. The Calabash has some really cool furniture and the design is quite sexy!! I love the balcony out back of that room (with the tree growing up thru the floor of the deck). It provides a wonderful view of the Piton mountains and has the private plunge pool area on the other end of the room/cottage. The Papaya has a much larger deck and numerous sitting areas (both inside and outside of the room).

This room has a large kitchen that is stocked with plenty of pots, pans, dishes, cups, tumblers, wine glasses, etc. We had the driver that picked us up stop at a store on the way to Crystals so we could get some items to stock up with (beer, wine, water, paper towels, and a few items to snack on).

Papaya has two bedrooms. The master bedroom has an air conditioner. We used it one night (but just left all the doors to the room open the other two nights). We were lucky that it didn't rain at all during the day (except for the last day shortly prior to our departure). It did rain each night and we loved listening to it fall. As we really didn't want to run the A/C, we asked if they had a fan we could bring up to the room and Martin brought one shortly after the request. They also provided a blow drier and iron (which made my wife quite happy). The second bedroom was mostly there in case I went into "snoring mode". In that case, my wife was prepared to evict me to the spare room.

They have a little dog (half poodle and half ????) that adopted my wife and I. Storm slept in our room each night and when i got up early to do my morning hike, the dog came along with me. Cool pooch!!

I've read some comments of concern regarding things like no internet, writing paper, or writing instruments, etc. I didn't use my phone one time. However, my wife sent and received texts and posted things on Facebook all from her I-Phone. She said the postings took a bit to upload. Big deal. All she did was sent the phone down and let it do it's thing (while continuing to sip on her martini and look out at the beautiful view). If you believe pen and paper are essential to having a good time while on the outskirts of the rainforest, then by all means don't forget to bring those items (although I'm sure Martin or Monica would be happy to provide those items to you upon request).

The road going up to Crystals is pretty ridiculous. Even so, whether it was in one of the cabs I hired, or on one of the trips that Martin was kind enough to provide, I never had one time that it was needed to kick in the four wheel drive. Just go slow and take your time. After all, your on an island...... Relax already!!!

I know that Crystals provides dinner from time to time. We didn't partake in that either time we've been here. Maybe that's because both times we've come during the slow part of the year. We did join Monica and Martin up in the Treehouse Bar/Lounge on both of our visits. It is relaxing and fun to hang out up there drinking rum punch, playing music, and enjoying the delightful conversation.

Monica set us up with a great sailing trip. I highly recommend it. We met the mate on the sailboat at the dock next to the Hummingbird Resort and got the shuttle out to the waiting sailboat. From 10:00 in the morning until around 6:00 P.M. we sailed up the coast towards Marigot Bay. We stopped once before arriving there for a bit of snorkeling near Ti Kaye Village. Then up to Marigot Bay for a great lunch (included in the price). After wandering around Marigot Bay for a while we started heading back down towards Soufriere. We stopped one more time for a second round of snorkeling (all the while enjoying the complimentary Piton beer, rum punch, water, fresh fruit, chips, etc.)

From Crystals we have visited a number of places. We went to the Morne Coubaril Estate, where we enjoyed the guided tour of a still operational plantation (and followed that up with some zip lining). We've been to the Diamond Estate where they have lovely botanical gardens. You can take an easy hike to a small (but beautiful) waterfall and then soak yourself for a bit in the mineral springs. We went snorkeling at the beach in front of Anse Chastenet (take a water taxi from the dock in front of the Soufriere Police Station). We ate at a number of great restaurants. Try Dasheene for the "special" dinner.

I'm not sure what else to say. I have stayed at a number of places around the world (China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Hawaii, Spain, Italy, Virgin Islands, Canada, and many spots in the US). I've stayed in rustic cabins and luxury resorts. Crystals can't be pigeonholed into a class. It's in a class of it's own. It provides a great location halfway between gorgeous beaches and the rain forest. It has wonderful accommodations with unique design and decor. Best of all, it has Monica and Martin.

The one photo I attached of the room really doesn't show how beautiful the place really is. I really wanted to upload the video my wife took on her I-Phone. Maybe I can do that later. Meanwhile, check out the two photo's showing the incredible breakfast that is brought to your room each morning.

CONCLUSION: I love Crystals. I miss Crystals. I can't wait to go back to Crystals.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
7  Thank KEITHCOTTER

I so thank you for the wonderful review,having guests like you both here at Crystals is what it is all about and makes the day special.
As Crystals to us is more than just a hotel it is our home and here we only want one to leave with happy memories.
I hope you both will come and pay us a visit soon and agin thank you for the time to writr in a review.
Blessings Monica and Martin

Reviewed 16 August 2011

My boyfriends Marcus and I decided to have a romantic get away. We wanted the best the Caribbean had to offer. Our verdict , was St.lucia, home of the drive in volcano which by the way was simply amazing, and the twin pitons (breath-taking) . Crystals made our stay
even more memorable and easier. They provided everything from a jeep rental (which by the way is very affordable though i have to admit that my husband driving was a bit soso as a result of St.lucians drive on the opposite side compared to) MOVING ON ... ^_^
We stayed in the Papaya cottage ,which had a huge deck, with a private swimming pool lush flora and the most spectacular views of the twin pitons ,which monica mentioned couples get married on ( after hearing this is so wanted marcus and i to get married right there and then. however he did propose there ^________^. ) .....
The amazing thing about the cottage it is fully furnished, not like the cheap furniture you get in other guesthouses . The sofa's you can literally fall asleep on , so soft and comfortable and in perfect harmony to the walls . The housemaid were angels, so kind and friendly and the breakfast hmmmmm .....ask for cocoa tea . by the way Monica I need the recipe ....
I must say also we did enjoy our complimentary champagne at the bar . Try martins rum punch! (not for the kids of course) . We really enjoyed it monica arranged activities for us like climbing the pitons, dolphin watching , scuba diving , rain forest trail walk . Such memories we will never forget. Thanks Monica and Martin ^_^ Till next year ....hopefully My wedding with Marcus Jayda Cassidy.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
11  Thank Jayda_11
Reviewed 11 August 2011

What an amazing place to stay while in St Lucia. This place was very beautiful, comfortable and relaxing. We had views of the Pitons, the ocean and the volcano all from our deck! The room was quite large and truly unique with all of its beautiful decor. It was very quiet and peaceful here, we were able to relax but could easily get out during the day to tour around the island. The owners were extremely welcoming, it felt like staying with friends, not in a hotel! This definitely was a great deal too!

Room Tip: We stayed in the Calabash. We loved this room! It was very quiet and private.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
8  Thank Paul W
Reviewed 9 August 2011

I have been asked by TripAdvisor to rewrite this review because there was some confusing about second-hand stories (there were none – they we all from MY experience) and hearsay. Although there was absolutely no hearsay OR mistruth in what I said, perhaps my reference to my husband’s review was considered hearsay so I will try to be as clear as possible. These are all my words and MY experiences, although my experience was the same as my husband’s.

This place was simply awful. To be fair, our host, Monica seems like a nice enough person, but clearly does not know how to run a hotel. Frankly, neither do I. But my husband and I have traveled around the world, stayed in many amazing places, chose this place based partially on TripAdvisor reviews and were profoundly disappointed. The bathroom in Mango was dirty (we stayed in both Mango and Calabash – see pictures), we found a shrimp tail in our sink from the previous guest (sink clearly not cleaned), a bar of soap (also from the previous guest who we met later), the towels were completely threadbare (see picture), the breakfast (supposedly wonderful) was small and pathetic (picture), on and on and on. The views from the room were over a large tin roof (see pictures). There were dogs constantly barking, with absolutely no relief. The sheets were BEYOND disgusting, all shown in pictures attached. We were told by the owners that they would always be available but never could be found when we looked for them. I specifically asked Monica about Internet access before we booked and was assured there was - but no, we tried all three days and were successful only once. Martin (Monica's husband?) told us he disconnected the WiFi so his son could have a quicker connection. I will attach pictures here so you can see what was our experience. Just as a note, Calabash was only slightly better. The pool was absolutely gross and I wouldn’t have put my dog in it. The furniture was falling apart, there were no bulbs in the fixtures, and there was dust and dirt everywhere. As I said, I probably wouldn't have written this had it not been for the email from TripAdvisor, but geez, we think this is REALLY a place to avoid. We DID NOT arrive early (unless 4pm is early - we had to travel from Rodney Beach up north) and our room should have been ready. If that was “ready”, I can’t imagine how absolutely gross it would have been if it wasn’t “ready”. We only wanted a good experience and to enjoy our last few days in St. Lucia. If you are looking for the same, stay somewhere else. What possible motivation would I have for writing a bad review? We did not ask for a refund (although based on our experience we certainly deserved one) nor did we ask for anything but what was advertised during our stay.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
19  Thank jsc0626
Charles3, Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 18 August 2011

Reviews, when posted by genuine guests are always subjective. In this case, the reviewer is actually posting to in effect argue with a management response to a previous review. posted by her husband. This is unfair and distorts the impressions of the business. It also breaches TripAdvisor guidelines - 'Please do not include questions for other reviewers or comments about other reviews, reviewers or management responses.' Thankfully, Crystals have many loyal and satisfied customers that will be delighted to tell of their own experiences should any visitor to this site have any doubts as to the quality of the hotel and the expertise of the owners.

Reviewed 8 August 2011

My husband and I visited St Lucia for the first time the first week of July 2011. We stayed at Crystals in the Calabash cottage. It was the most magical experience for both of us!!!
As a bit of a background, we have both done a fair share of traveling and have stayed in resorts before, we chose Crystals this time around because we wanted to have a unique experience and roam free around the island, enjoying the local food, culture and people!
The hotel itself is VERY unique (as the website states).. before we arrived I had corresponded with Monica the host via email a few times and she had pretty much answered all our questions/concerns. Once at Crystals Monica made it a point to help us out when we needed a taxi, or just in offering suggestions on activities to do as well as great local restaurants.
The room we stayed in was LOVELY!! Our room was cleaned and picked up on a daily basis.... NO complaints!!
I have read a few negative reviews, and it seems to me that guests seem to forget that they are staying in a rainforest... so the 5 star service they might be looking for is not there.
Crystals is the gem of St Lucia and we can not WAIT to return!!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple