“Unique accommodation with great views of the Pitons.”
Review of Crystals St Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 8 January 2012

We stayed at Crystals in Papaya for four nights over the new year in 2011. We chose Crystals, mainly because we were looking for self catering accommodation at a reasonable price with good views of the Pitons. In this regard, it didn't disappoint. For the price, I don't think we could have gotten much better accommodation in St. Lucia, particularly when we compared prices with the ridiculously expensive 'resorts' such as Ladera and Jade Mountain.

Papaya was certainly the right choice as it had a huge, sunny private deck with hammock and deck chairs and amazing uninterrupted views of the Pitons. There were also several other areas on the deck where we could sit in shade and still enjoy the views of the surrounding mountains. A small private pool was refreshing to cool off in after a while in the sun but was too shallow and small to swim in. We had some doubts as to the cleanliness of the pool but the pool cleaner did visit daily (almost) to remove leaves and sprinkle in some chlorine. We just avoided putting our heads under to be on the safe side but didn't have any problems.

The breakfast was nice with a selection of local fruits, pancakes, bread, omelettes and cake. Ground coffee, milk and tea was provided. The evening cocktail hour in Crystal's amazing bar was a nice relaxed occasion where we got to meet the other guests and enjoy some complimentary drinks and snacks. The rum punch is great. You can order meals from the restaurant but need to give Monica a day's notice.

The interior of the accommodation was spacious and well furnished with flat screen TV, DVD player and cable. Wi-fi was available but we could only get it working in the bar on the last day of our stay. The kitchen is relatively well stocked with pots and pans but, unfortunately, the coffee maker and electric kettle hadn't been cleaned properly for some time and we had to clean them before using them. A cleaner visited daily to tidy up, mop the floors and make the beds. Enough fresh towels were supplied to last four days.

Crystals is quite a way from the airport so we organised to be picked up as we were arriving late at night. I wouldn't have fancied our chances of finding it on our own with a hire car, especially at night. The town of Soufriere is nearby and has a reasonably well stocked supermarket but you will need a car or taxi, at least for the trip back to avoid a long, hard climb. We didn't eat out at all but chose to cook all our own meals to avoid travelling up and down the mountain.

Just be clear that Crystals is not a resort or hotel in the traditional sense. If you're expecting to be pampered and have everything provided for you then it's probably not the place for you. If, on the other hand, you're looking for a relaxed stay in unique accommodation with beautiful surroundings and amazing views of the Pitons, then Crystals is good option.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank We-really-hate-work
Charles3, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2012

Hi Guys and thank you for the very kind review and I am happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our unique property.
I have made note of the coffee pot thank you for pointing it out ,umm I will follow up and make sure they are spotless as a rule My Staff are very good.
in ref to pools well as you know we fill our pools with rain water but they are very safe as we have to test them every day so you would not have had a problem and I agree Papaya pool is only 19 feel long and 4 feet deep, so not a pool if one is looking for a work out, mind you I am so short it would be fine for me ha ha....
again thank you and I hope you will come back and visit us again soon and enjoy the rest of the year.

Reviewed 2 January 2012

My fiance and I had an absolutely marvelous time at Crystals. We stayed in the Papaya Cottage with wonderful views of the Pitons and water. We opened up the cottage during the day to the breezes, but did enjoy the air conditioned bedroom at night. We enjoyed having all the space in the cottage and cooked several dinners in the kitchen which was well supplied. Monica and Charles are a lovely couple. We enjoyed the evening cocktail hours with them and their other guests. They were very helpful in organizing activities and providing information about the area. We will definitely be going back

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Diamiro

Thank you for your time to send in a review and your kind commensts well appreciated indeed.
I have to say it was a wonderful pleasure to have you stay with us here at Crystals and i hope you will come back and visit us soon.
We have just opene dup the new section of the restaurant I am sure you would love what we have done , more room when we have the bands up to play one can dance and make a fool of ones self (oops that me)
again thank you and I hope 2012 is a good year for you both

Blessing Monica & Martin

Reviewed 21 December 2011

Hello! My Husband and I stayed here just this past week for our Honeymoon... we wanted to visit St. Lucia & be away from the all the hub-bub, and to stay somewhere as far away from a "Sandals" type place as we could. We're the adventure seeking type, and we're also the type of people who really appreciate family run businesses over giant corporate places, so when Crystals came highly recommended to us by a travel agent - we said okay & went for it! We could not have been any happier with our experience there if we'd tried!

To begin, the owners Monica & Martin are simply the sweetest, most helpful, most FUN people you would ever want to be around. They were all about doing whatever they could to meet personal requests & to give insider info on the island and all there was to do. They were SO hospitable, and really are just the loveliest hosts you could have asked for!

We stayed in Calabash & the views were insane! The Pitons & the ocean were the first things we got to wake up to while enjoying coffee under our tree-house in the back of our cottage every morning : ) It was just SO beautiful. The furnishings in our cottage were out of control original and you could tell a lot of effort was put into each cottage to make it feel unique. There was handmade furniture all over the place that Martin had made, and soft touches of textiles that were clearly collections of the world traveler, Monica.

This place is for the NATURE loving, adventure seeking type. Gotta be the kind of person who's not going to freak out over little things like a leaf in your pool or a cricket in your room - it is a villa located in the JUNGLE. There are lots of dogs and cats on the property, all of which are friendly and just want to welcome you to Crystals : ) You can always get privacy here when you want it, but there is always a friendly face somewhere to chat or help you with whatever else you may need. Crystals is an amazing establishment & places this unique are far and few between. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Calabash was SO cool. Unique in every way, and very private. AMAZING views & just the best fee...
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Valavanting

Hi My Darlings so nice of you to put in the very kind review,and I have to thank you both for the wonderful painting you did for us here outside the Mango cottage so cool you are both so talented, umm makes my art work look like a five year old has pained them, haha.

The pleasure was all our to have you here and I have to say the evenings round the bar with you both were great ,oh and at last we finished the new section , we had the opening Xmas night , I have to say it is looking so nice and we now have from our bar and restaurant a Piton view .

I hope Crystals will be a special getaway for you to celebrate from time to time your wedding anniversary and your honeymoon stay with us will be fond memories

Blessing to you both Martin and Monica

Reviewed 27 November 2011

We stayed at Crystals in early November. We were looking for jungle cottage away from the crowds. We made a great choice with Crystals. It is located on the mountain side atop Soufriere, which we frequently visited to dine and pick up groceries. The view from our room was absolutely amazing as was the walnut and mahogany construction of our room. We enjoyed the deck view and pool, and the wonderful host Monica and Martin that made every day a true joy, with a daily social including rum punch served at the end of each day. I highly recommend this to anyone looking for a paradise away from the crowds!

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Jim N
Reviewed 30 October 2011

My husband and I stayed at Crystals for 2 weeks in early October 2011. This review may be long and our travel context should be understood as well. We are both in our late 30’s and love to travel and have stayed in a variety of accommodations from 5 stars to a wooden beach cabana. We prefer off the beaten track and unique which is why Crystals was perfect for us. It may not be perfect for everyone so please make sure you know what kind of traveller you are and what you require for a memorable and satisfying vacation.

After a short 10 minutes of adjusting from urban life to a quite piece of paradise, you will never want to leave...now on to the good stuff!!!

Accommodations
We stayed in the Papaya suite for our entire 2 week stay and could not have asked for anything better. There were 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, a full kitchen, a sitting area and an indoor eating space. On the outside there was another sitting area which was covered as well as a massive deck that included 2 chairs and a hammock.

The space was huge and we used all of it with the exception of the 2nd bedroom. We bought food and kept it in the fridge, we made coffee in the morning which was available in containers and had everything else you may find in a typical kitchen. The bed was harder yet comfortable and we slept like a rock most nights with the air conditioner turned on.

The room was cleaned each day and we had fresh towels every other day or two. The decor is unique and wonderful and I noticed new things every day. There was also a hair dryer and an iron with ironing board in our room. In the bathroom there was soap and shampoo and a large selection of towels and toilet paper. We never needed anything more than what was provided.

You don’t get this kind of space in a regular resort, it really is like your own self contained cottage with all the comforts yet so much room. With the all the doors open you get a wonderful breeze and can hear a myriad of animal and insects constantly. – it can be magical. We never locked our doors and always left all our stuff here even when we went up to Rodney Bay for 2 nights and had no issues. This is one of the safest places ever.

We were brought a huge breakfast each morning to our cottage that consisted of eggs, fruit, pancakes (OMG the coconut pancakes are amazing!!!!) assorted breads and biscuits with jam and butter and once in a while we were treated to cocoa tea. The food was fantastic and there was always too much and hard to finish it all between the two of us!! I am missing my morning meals so much that I bought a cocoa stick so I could try and replicate the tea here at home.
We had the pleasure of dining 3 times at Crystals during our stay.

The “restaurant” is not open on a regular basis as this is not your typical hotel. When Monica, Martin and the rest of the staff put on a dinner however, it will certainly be one of the best you have in St. Lucia. Each dinner started with drinks and appetizers in the tree house bar followed by a 4 course meal. Everything is homemade and delicious including the soups, salads, chicken dishes (with amazing sauces) local vegetables (too many to name) and of course desert. There is no way to not be full and satisfied at the end of a dinner experience here...I rank it in my top 2 places that we ate and we ate all over the island.

Be careful of Martins rum punch – it is amazing and strong. There is wine, rum, champagne and anything else you could want for an evening of conversation and food.

Staff
Everyone here is amazing and anything you need is provided for you. We were treated like part of the family and Monica set up some excursions for us and was available whenever you needed. That being said, they also leave you to yourself to enjoy the beauty, peacefulness and amazing environment without distraction or annoyances like some other resort type accommodations.

The girls who provide home cooked breakfast and do the cleaning as polite, friendly and warm. They are aware of your privacy yet each morning like clockwork would show up at the door with your breakfast! We would leave for the day and come home to a newly made up bed and when required fresh towels. They did any dishes I did not get around to cleaning and emptied the garbage as well.

General Information
We were able to gain access to the internet most days and if we could not we simply asked Monica or Martin to turn the router on. You cannot access the signal from everywhere but you can get it from the tree house bar if not from your suite. We were lucky enough to access it from the Papaya breakfast nook. Please remember the location of this guest house and that you are on a small island in the Caribbean and not everything is going to be as accessible and as fast as what you may be used to at home.

Yes, there are animals around – cats and dogs as well as local animals such as lizards, frogs and birds. Yes, they come into your cottage but this should not ruin your trip, just be aware that they are there and they love people and will certainly try to gain your attention. We loved them and enjoyed their daily visits, even the hummingbird that fly in one morning to taunt us!

Monica also set us up with a rental jeep and it was easy to get and great to have a car to get around in. Having rented in Belize before I can tell you the rate we were given was half of what it cost us in Belize and we never ran into any issues with driving or our vehicle.

Other Information
We experienced many things and ate a variety of locations while we were there – here is a list and if you would like more detailed information feel free to email me at ropegungirl@gmail.com

Activities: Botanical gardens, waterfalls & mineral baths, drive in volcano & sulphur springs, stand up paddle boarding @ The Reef, sailing & snorkelling trip (we saw dauphins!), Casteries market, the snake man, Zaka masks, Jalousie beach, Anse Chastenat beach, Rodney Bay, snorkelling at various locations, Fond Doux plantation tour, Bounty rum distillery tour and tasting, deep sea fishing...

Food & Restaurants: Crystals Tree House, Boucan (Hotel Chocolat), Martha’s Table, La Haut Plantation, Gee’s Bon Mange, The Hummingbird, Apsara @ Anse Chastenat, Spice of India, Key Largo Pizza, The Reef, La Belle Creole, Anse Chastenat beach restaurant, Chateau Mygo, Rituals Dinner, Rituals Cafe...

Final Words
I had the most amazing time at Crystals and was extremely sad to leave the people, the scenery, the peace, the food...it was certainly one of our best trips and we travel twice a year. If you are looking for something special and out of the way where you will be “alone in the universe” this is it! I am so happy we picked this unique place to stay and will never forget our tremendous experience. I can’t say enough good things and am happy to answer any questions you may have.

If you loved Crystals as much as we did, like it on Facebook! I am helping Monica build a page on Facebook and would be happy to post any of your photos there. Search for it at www.facebook.com/crystals.stlucia

If you have questions – let me know! I will also post photos in the next few days.

Room Tip: Papaya Suite is Awesome!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank travelinggnat72
Reviewed 16 October 2011

My husband and I stayed in St Lucia from july 27th till Aug 4th. We spent 5 days at Crystals.
We loved the Sugar Cane cottage!!! What a view!!! And what a deal Monica gave us!! Thank you!

We missed the coconut pancakes tho!!! We heard they were fabulous...bummer. But that being said the breakfast every day was great!
Our cottage was very clean everyday!!!The sheets wonderful!!! so soft and clean!!!

Moncia is a sweetheart!!! We loved the cocktails in the treehouse bar everynight!!! I was spoiled with the champagne cocktails every night!!!! And the dinner there was amazing the best one we had the whole stay!!!!! Wish we could have had more...But we had a visit from tropical storm Emily and she put a damper on our plans.

We celebrated our 25th anniversary here..St Lucia is a beautiful place...

Just watch the roads a little scarry!!! And the local older men like to help if you get lost, and ask for money that being said. Ask the ladies and young boys for help if you get lost we did a few times!!! We met fast talking John Henery he was the police officer in superman movie! LOL showed us around then asked for money!

Anyone thinking of Crystals and not looking for the resort type this is your place...Staff and Monica and Martin are fun loving people! Thank you for making our stay so special!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chandra B
Reviewed 13 October 2011

My wife and I could not have asked for a more romantic honeymoon during our stay at Crystals in St. Lucia. From the moment we arrived Monica was very professional and the entire staff treated us as though we were family. We stayed in the Papaya Cottage, and we would highly recommend doing so, the pool/sun deck views are absolutely amazing! Breakfast was served every morning promptly, our bathrooms and bedroom were cleaned everyday, along with our bath towels and bed sheets. Throughout the week Monica and the staff throw a happy hour in the Tree House Bar with appetizers, wine, rum punch, etc. (Rum punch is strong, but so good). The dogs on the property were no problem what so ever, they're very well behaved and incredibly friendly. We met some very interesting families from all over the world and had a great time with them throughout our trip, it was a pleasure to get to know them all!

In response to one of the recent bad reviews:
One reviewer said that the bed sheets, pillows, and bathrooms weren't cleaned properly...
EVERY SINGLE DAY our entire cottage was cleaned, the bed was made, we received fresh bath towels, and the staff was always courteous, prompt, and respected our privacy when desired.

You also said that the breakfast was "pathetic?"
Breakfast each day consisted of eggs, pancakes with coconut and syrup, fresh bananas, apples, some native fruit to the island, and unbelievable bread and butter. My wife and I ate breakfast every day we were there at Crystals, the food is delicious, and it was more than enough for two people, in fact we usually couldn't finish our entire meal because we were so full.

You also complained about the rooftops on the cottages...???
You're in the middle of a jungle on an island! Honestly, what did you expect when you booked your trip to St. Lucia? Did you want a Hilton Resort with valet parking when you looked at the pictures? Let me remind you, this isn't your typical vacation, and this isn't your typical hotel. Crystals was an absolute adventure, you have your own private pool, a fantastic staff, and amazing food each and every day. Our doors were never locked, we left expensive cameras and cash in plain sight...all because we knew we had nothing to worry about when we stayed there.

So in response to your review, I would suggest that you choose either a different island, or a different hotel, because this type of vacation just simply isn't for you.

Monica, we would like to thank you and your staff for our incredible stay at Crystals, we couldn't have picked a better place to spend our honeymoon. It's not a question of whether or not we will return, just a matter of time, we'll see you again one day...thank you for everything.

Best of luck,