“Treasure in the treetops”
Review of Crystals St Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 22 April 2012

This s a great place to stay if your looking for something beautiful and out of the ordinary! My sister and our boyfriends went together and loved the set up! It can get a little cold at night so ask for more blankets and sheets if your sensitive to that ,as i was and the sheets are very thin. Also as it is an open format up in the treetops so it can get a little dusty but otherwise its a great place to stay. The view is absolutely stunning and Monica and Martin are fun and gracious hosts!! Love their little family of animals as well :)

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank GrassDoesntGrow

Reviewed 19 April 2012

If you enjoy island vacations ... You owe it to yourself to visit St.Lucia. This exquisite gem in the rainforest is beyond special. Martin and Monica Charles owners of Crystals make you feel relaxed and carefree. We were not surprised to meet several other guests over gourmet dinners that had moved from the large hotels on the other end of the island to experience the beauty and tranquility of this magical setting.

Room Tip: Each suite is exquisite. Can't go wrong
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank osprey650
Reviewed 17 April 2012

Staying up on the hill overlooking Soufriere was a wonderful honeymoon experience. Monica (co-owner with her husband Martin) suggested renting a Jeep and she is certainly right! You can't really walk down into town nor to any of the nearby attractions, but with a jeep (not a car, the road leading up to Crystals is a wreck since the hurricane) everything is within 15 minutes of you.
They look after you quite well, booking reservations, giving you advice and throwing wonderful cocktail parties with home-made music and rum punch. We stayed in the Sugar Cane cottage and the only things we could be critical of were (a) no fixed grill on the BBQ outside (although there are grill trays) (b) the mosquito net doesn't fit perfectly around the bedposts (but well enough to protect you) and (c) we only stayed 1 week (and longer would have been better).
People should know Crystals uses rainwater as their primary source and trucks extra water up each morning, but the water is fine to drink and despite the occasional low water pressure from the kitchen sink, showers are never affected.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Michael G
Reviewed 20 March 2012

My husband and I went to Crystals for our honeymoon. We absolutely loved the location. Monica and Martin, the owners, are the pefect hosts and entertainers. They have several bungalows to choose from, all of which have beautiful views of the Peton mountains. We had our private pool, which was very romantic. Watch out though, the water is a little chilly. Each bungalow also has a full kitchen, which we loved! We also had great service. One of the ladies who worked there guided us to a local grocery store, so we could cook dinner for ourselves and she also made us breakfast one morning. We went in August, and the weather was perfect. Also, Crystals isn't far from the town or a really beautiful beach at the Mockingbird resort. If you want a vacation that is private and romantic, Crystals is the place for you!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jenny430
Charles3, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2012

Thank you for sending in a positive review Martin and I appreciate yor kind words, and would like to let you know the pleasure was all ours and hope you make it back to Crystals soon.

Reviewed 5 March 2012

Staying at Crystals was the the best possible introduction to St. Lucia. Amazing place and wonderful hosts! We stayed six nights and had a great time. The beautiful and comfortable interior and exterior decor, the great views, breakfasts (and two scrumptious dinners), the general vibe and the lovely and helpful staff all made for a relaxing and very enjoyable holiday.
Monica is an amazing host and we're already thinking of our next trip there.

Room Tip: Two of us stayed in Mango which could comfortably have four people staying there.
2  Thank Nikolay M
Charles3, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Hi Guys
Well how nice of you to write in a review and of course I so appreciate it.
I am happy you enjoyed your stay in Mango it is indeed one of our largest units so yes plenty of room for 4 ,being a two bedroom but can be just as enjoyable for two persons and of course the odd visitor our friendly cats and our small dog"storm".
Will be looking forward to seeing you both soon I hope so for now I wish you well.
all the best
Martin, Monica and all the staff at Crystals....

Reviewed 4 March 2012

This was our first visit to St. Lucia, and I decided to write this review for anyone who may be in the position I was in when planning my trip - not knowing what the situation was going to be on the ground when I got there and hoping for the best.

Crystals is a bed and breakfast in the form of an elaborate treehouse on the northern ridge overlooking Soufriere and the Pitons (13° 51' 58.76" N, 61° 3' 14.73"). There are about five individual cottages connected to each other, but which seem to offer complete privacy from one another. We stayed in the Sugar Cane for five nights. The view of the Pitons was spectacular. The overall condition of the property was very good, especially considering it is in the middle of a jungle. If you are accustomed to staying at polished, sterile places like Sandals, Secrets, etc. you should know that Crystals is not like those at all. It is a private residence rented out to guests. The layout was very interesting, with most of the reception area literally in the trees.

Monica manages the resort, and was very helpful in arranging for local transportion, tours, and in my case, getting a doctor to make a house call on a Sunday evening. She made a terrific dinner for all the guests on the Saturday night, and had cocktail hour on a couple of other nights. Each morning began with a large delicious breakfast delivered to our cottage.

We were able to cook dinner for ourselves on two nights. The Sugar Cane kitchen was equipped with a basic level of dishes, pots, and utensils suitable for two people. Crystals cleaned the dishes when they serviced the room. The stove runs on gas, and luckily we brought matches. The problem with cooking at Crystals is finding food. The grocery store in Soufriere is basically an enhanced 7-11. But the fact is my wife and I were never hungry. We found a way to make it work.

Crystals is not walking distance from Soufriere. Possibly downhill, but surely not uphill. My wife and I decided to follow recommendations we were given to hire taxis for local transportation. This was a costly mistake. Although we got to know our designated driver, Gina, very well during our stay and she guided us on several tours, we could have easily driven ourselves around. The main road from the airport to Soufriere is a regular highway, and even in Soufriere itself the roads are paved. On our next visit we will definitely rent a car. Note - there is no sign on the main road for Crystals. Not sure how anyone would know to turn into the drive. Also, the drive is not a road. I could not believe the abuse vehicles took getting up there.

Bugs were not a significant problem when we were there in February. We brought two Citronella canisters and lit them in the bedroom about an hour before turning in. With the mosquito net in place, we never had a problem. My wife and I are outdoors people to begin with, so none of the rustic nature of Crystals phased us.

Overall I would definitely recommend staying at Crystals, and may very well make a return trip there. Monica and Martin will take very good care of you.

4  Thank David21157

Thank you Guys that you made time to write in an awesome review ,and I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us and will return and see us soon.
Wishing you both well and I hope the rest of the year will be a good one.
Martin&Monica

Reviewed 26 February 2012

We had a "staycation" at Crystals ( we were already on vacation but had 2 days there). A trulybeautiful place to stay (coming from someone who visits the island yearly). I saw St Lucia through different eyes, seeing The Pitons every day was amazing and just the best way to appreciated how majestic they are, even on a beautiful full moon night.
The apartment (Papaya)was clean, comfortable and unique in its decor with lots of interesting items from all over the world, fantastic patio complete with pool, hammock and Pitons.
Breakfast was Fab. lots of it and a taste of the local with coconut pancakes and fresh fruit. the staff and owners are so welcoming and want to make your stay the best you've had. Being a small hotel its nice to meet other guests at the bar in the evening before you go off and do your own thing for the evening. For a more natural, quiet holiday seeing the real St Lucia this is the place

2  Thank Vanessa0108
Charles3, Manager at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2012

Thank you for your kind review, I have to say even persons who have made several visits to St Lucia find our property "different", we wanted one to feel they are in the"real St Lucia" back to nature but of course comfort at the same time, that is why Crystals was desighned and built by Martin and I (ok so i did not build anything but I did have my imput,ha ha do that do this, poor Martin , I did do the interior decor,gosh I just have to stop as in fact a week does not go by with out me seeing something for Crystals, Ok I know I have over done it with the cushions and candles).Every year we look at each cottage to see how we can"do more"!
Well it was a real pleasure to have you Darlings here with us at Crystals and hope next year you will stay longer