“Ten Year Anniversary”
Review of Crystals St Lucia

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Soufriere
Crystals St Lucia
Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I never write reviews, but I think everyone should know about this hidden gem in St. Lucia. First of all Monica and Martin are excellent hosts and are great fun to visit. We stayed at the Papaya cottage which was very spacious, nicely decorated and with incredible views. The cottages are around 1800 feet above sea level and even in June it stays at a nice climate with a great breeze. We had our own private plunge pool, hammock and lounge chairs. The cottages are about 5-7 min. drive from Soufriere. The Soufriere area is the most picturesque part of the island. Don't let the dirt road scare you away, it is only to keep this place a secret. It is on the edge of the rainforest with naturally growing mango trees, coconut, plantain and banana trees on the property.
Our trip began with Benny (Monica recommended for jeep rental) picking us up at the airport and driving us to Crystals, where our car was waiting. I found it greatly advantageous to rent a car, as it is very easy to drive around the area (even on the other side of the road for us Americans). There was champagne in the refrigerator and we picked up some Piton beer on the way up. Every night (excluding Sun.) there is a great happy hour from 6-7:30 with dinners a couple times a week. There are other great restaurants nearby, but I would hit Monica's dinner (She's a great cook with everything grown on the property). We found the other guests to be great fun to be with and always enjoyed Martin's musical talent. Monica set up our scuba diving ahead of time, gave great recommendations on things to do and see and even set up a day sailing trip for the 8 of us staying there with only 1 days notice. By the way we didn't know anyone ahead of time, but the anther guests were very nice and fun to be with. We did everything from mud baths, hiking Gros Piton, sailing, snorkeling, scuba diving and just hanging out with a drink on the deck. It doesn't get any better in my opinion.
My wife and I stayed at Crystals for 5 nights and the Windjammer for 2 nights. It was nice to relax by the beach for a couple days at the Windjammer, but you definitely need to check out Crystals for the majority of your trip. Monica and Martin, thank you for making our trip awesome. You have the most unique, beautiful and romantic accommodations around. We look forward to coming back again!

Rob and Jill

Room Tip: For couples you can't beat Papaya and the Calabash
7  Thank Rob R
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to write in a review.(love the photos, Hazel but of course She would get in a photo)
It is wonderful that you understand our concept here at Crystals, not wanting to be like any other property so no visual sign post , hidden away up a winding bumpy road amongst an abundance of trees and flowers.
Of course urging potential Guests to let us arrange a taxi or Jeep rental for them(we as you know get the best rates for our Guests anyway) plus all our drivers have 4x4.
At last Martin has finished the new office, just paint left to go on and hope to have the opening in a couple of weeks..........yippee more champagne to consume
The newly constructed bathroom for Mango should be finished in a couple of weeks as stone work takes for ever plus all the stops for eating all the ripe mangos on the tree out side the door!
I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us here and will return soon , it will be a real pleasure to see you back.
Blessing to you both
Martin, Monica and all the staff at Crystals

Reviewed 18 June 2012

Seriously, I have never given an online review before but I wanted to make sure to strongly recommend staying at the Crystals to anyone who might be thinking about it!

My wife and I just returned from our honeymoon at the Crystals! Our stay in the Calabash room was the highlight of our honeymoon! The Hospitality of Monica and Charles is fantastic! I will never forget how great breakfast, occasional dinners and the famous cocktail hours were! Not to mention the breathtaking rooms, furniture and views!

If you love something different & adventurous but still elegant and plush then stay here! There is no better value in St. Lucia!

Room Tip: All the rooms are great! Each one is unique!
6  Thank smartada87
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

I would like to than you for the very kind review and am happy to hear you had a wonderful honeymoon.
I hope you will come back and visit us again soon perhaps for an anniversary visit !
Blessings to you both and again thank you
Martin & Monica

Reviewed 13 June 2012

The first thing you notice about Crystals is the lack of a signpost, and the next is the incredibly poor condition of the 'road' up to the hotel. A bit challenging if you hire a car. But the next is much more positive: our room was huge, more like a lodge, with the bedroom upstairs featuring a huge four-poster bed. And then there was the view of the Pitons: truly spectacular. Outside our room - Sugar Cane - we had a small pool and 2 sunbeds (weird folding ones which were surprisingly comfy once you'd worked out how to recline in them, though you can't really lie on your front), with an unobstructed view of the twin peaks and a partial sea view. Monica, the owner, was very friendly and answered all our questions, though we were disappointed to learn (we had booked in haste and hadn't really read anything about it) that they only operate the restaurant a few nights a week (plus it's a communal experience which isn't really our thing) and we had just missed it. So we had to get a pricey ($20 for 5 mins ride!) cab into town to eat 2 nights running. On one day the weather was a bit lousy and we discovered another slight issue: there isn't really anywhere to hang out but in your room, which in our case on a stormy day was a bit dark even with the lights on. There is a central area but it's basically dead (other than the free cocktail happy hour which was a nice touch). One other bugbear: the breakfast was the same each morning and we were pretty disapponted with it (fruit, cold pancakes, nothing hot). Plus no juice was offered until we asked, and we had no idea how to work the coffee machine (yes, I could have asked). Not good for the price of the room. I think you need a car really, otherwise you are reliant on taxis that take ages to come and are pricey (though to be fair if you get up early the owner will drop you in town). I feel like I'm being a bit picky because the room and view were really exceptional, but it just didn't quite work for us personally. I got the sense from the others that we were in a minority on that. If you like a small, intimate, slightly bohemian place where the owner loves nothing more than a good natter, this is for you. But we still had a relaxing time and highly recommend the water taxi from Soufriere to Jalousie beach.

3  Thank tonysony
Charles3, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

I so agree with most of the review and appreciate the feed back i would like to point out that the terrible public road is mentioned not only on My website and e-mails to Guests but by several TA review.
In fact I think I should get an award for having probably the worst road in St Lucia,that is why I write to all My Guests that the road is bad so i can arrange a 4x4 jeep rental or a 4x4 taxi to pick you up and if they take a jeep rental the airport transfers are complimentary,however at odd times you get in a year perhaps one person turning up in a small car or taxi and paying double
and rather upset..
Sign .....we have never had a sign for Crystals keeping Crystals hidden from the general public and open for My Guests only and as 99% of My Guests I do arrange a taxi or jeep rental for them this is not an issue,plus I have to say the word safe, we have never had a break in or any other problem with vendors up here due to the fact they have no idea where Crystals is, plus no one even locks a door here including our bar door, so this is well worth the horrid road and no sign

I soooo agree with the talk part I give out way over the top information, you ask for example where is a water fall i will indicate several and in great details, yes i do rather talk a lot must be the Irish in me....what do they say the gift of the gab .

Breakfast well now this one is rather odd as you can read all the review everyone raves about our breakfast that must have been a fluke cold pancakes as a rule they are hot so i do apologise i will mention this to the kitchen to take care, the breakfast does change every day for example today one has our infamous coconut pancakes, coconut cake, fried plantains , eggs, fresh fruit plate, bakes home-made bread home made jam and butter, the breakfast is complimentary with the room rate and delivered to your door at any time you should so wish.

Restaurant is open on reservation as is indicated on our site in the room directory and verbally on arrival, one just have to book the day before, we do on average dinner 3 times a week so if one is staying for a couple of days one should book before as indicated on our website and at the bottom on every e-mail,and yes we do have several tables in our restaurant but do have two large tables where I personally inform Guests would you all like to sit together as everyone does in fact in 6 years I have never had anyone who wanted just to sit on their own, perhaps Crystals is a bit to friendly for some persons like yourselves and I totally understand here we intend to welcome all our guests like family, its so hard I have to say to be formal for us here so if you would like just to be a room number and sit on your own in a corner and would rather find out all the information about Soufriere on your own then perhaps I agree another property would have be better, again thank you for this information I will make sure that My Guests do not say yes but are really disappointed, this is a bit of a hard one as most of the time they all want to sit together I think as everyone gets to know each other at happy hour.

Sugar Cane... cottage is indicated as being dark well i have to say it is far from it having windows six in total and two double French glass doors BUT I have to say it was horrid wet damp and rain while you were on property so it sure could have been dark, in fact all the property was dark having no sun, nice to know you enjoyed our cottage and appreciated its charm and views and it is far better to be in a nice cottage with amazing views and a kitchen on a horrid day than stuck in a hotel room.

I appreciate the time you took to send in this review and I hope the rest of 2012 is a good one

Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I stayed at Crystals for the second week of our honeymoon, June 3-8 2012. First off, those who say if you enjoy an all-inclusive you won't like Crystals are mistaken - we spent our first week in St Lucia at Almond Bay Resort, and loved Crystals just the same. They are two very different experiences, but certainly not exclusive of each other.

We had to check out of our first hotel by 10am on June 3 (a Sunday), so we had contacted Monica in advance about dropping off our bags before the 3pm checkin time, and this was not a problem. She arranged a taxi for us from Gros Islet down to Soufriere, we dropped off our bags in an office, then got a taxi to Fond Doux for the afternoon. When we returned around 4, our room was ready for us to settle in.

The pictures of Calabash speak for themselves. My husband didn't believe we were really getting what we saw on the website, and was pleasantly surprised (I had faith in Crystals all along!) The pool was beautiful, the cottage was even better than pictured, and the views out the back deck have to be seen in person to truly appreciate.

Breakfast was served every morning between 8:30 and 9:00 am; brought to our door. Every day had a basket of bread (several kinds), two large pancakes topped with coconut, and a plate of fresh fruit. Some days also included cooked plaintains or other dishes.

Dinners and happy hours in the treehouse bar were wonderful as well. Everyone we met was so nice, and fascinating to talk to. We really enjoyed all of their company. The food was delicious, and the drinks were good quality, and very strong (though you couldn't taste it!). Made for an interesting walk back to our cottage some nights.

Our only regret was that we did not rent a car while at Crystals, although since we had planned for not having one it wasn't too much trouble. If we were to go back we would definitely rent one, though it's certainly possible to enjoy yourself without one. Monica can call a taxi for you, and while pricier than one might expect in the states, they always arrived quickly, drove safely, and gave us a chance to meet some friendly people. A taxi to Fond Doux or Anse Chastenet was $50 round trip; Hummingbird Beach was $30 round trip at day, $40 round trip at night (USD). Taxis to Gros Islet or the Hewannora Airport are $75 each way.

The only "problem" (and I say this lightly) we had were finding little frogs and a few bugs in our bathroom. The Calabash bathroom is actually downstairs from the cottage, and we think they may have been coming in through the drain at night. They were only about an inch tall each, but made noise at night so we scooped them out the window. The beetles we found were a little bigger and scarier, but I was generally too relaxed to care. Please note that at no point did we think the critters came in because anything was unclean or uncared for, we figured it just comes with the territory in such an environment. If Crystals could do something to change this it would be great, but if not, I don't think it would stop us from coming back. Also, a door on the bathroom instead of a curtain would have afforded a little more privacy, but again, not a big deal.

All in all, Monica, Martin, and their friends made this a memorable trip to Saint Lucia, and we look forward to an anniversary trip down the road to enjoy their company (and rum punch and champagne!) once again :)

6  Thank SunKissedKate

HI Guys, so sweet of you

I thank you for your glowing review of our property I so appreciate the time to send one in with photos.
Your cottage the Calabash is I have to say the one most requested for honeymooners,being a tree house yes it is rather jungle like so one might get the odd uninvited Guest , including my rather over friendly dog called storm at least Storm will leave when asked.

Breakfast, we do try to make the start of the day a good one so like to make sure breakfast is special so with a mixture of fresh fruits home made breads and pastries and free range eggs, one must find something to eat appealing .

I am pleased you enjoyed our dinners or rather as we like to call them"event evenings" as you know we start off with cocktails then dinner our special 4 course menu followed by music and if the crowd is willing dancing.

As you know here we are constantly trying to improve our property so value any feedback so we are elated when past Guests send in positive feedback thank you kindly

Blessings to you both and I hope one day you will return back to Crystals.

Reviewed 12 May 2012

We had to become Trip Advisor members to share what a wonderful time we had at Crystals. We stayed in the Papaya villa, which was undoubtedly the most amazing accomodations we have ever been priviliged enough to enjoy. Monica and Martin (owners) are quite the couple and truly care about their guests' experiences. Happy hour was not to be missed and be sure to attend any dinners they have in their treehouse restaurant. Their special blend of rum punch and Martin's music playing made for an oustanding 1st night on the island. The resort is run completely on rain water, so we were able to drink the faucet water which saved on plastic bottles and money. We ordered massages from Andia who works with Kendall (At The Wellness & Rejuvenating Farm) from the brochure in the room and had the massages on the front deck in our room. Often we just enjoyed the view with Storm their friendly little dog. Mornings consisted of complimentary breakfasts of fruit, eggs, coconut pancakes, bread, jam, chocolate cake (varies by season) delivered to our room. Then like clockwork the singing pool cleaner would swing through and make sure the pool was spotless. This place has the best view of the Pitons on the island. If you enjoy places that are a little off the beaten path and have that smaller, intimate feel, this is the place for you. Felt like friends instead of tourists. Definitely 5 stars!

Room Tip: We didn't see the other rooms, but nothing would convince us to not stay in the Papaya again.
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Gina T
Charles3, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Hi My Darlings and what a wonderful review you sent in , thank you so kind and believe me to have you here the pleasure was all ours.
At Long last Martin has finished the hand carved furniture for the new section of the bar I have to say the long wait was worth it .
Mangos all round at the moment so great in the rum punch, in fact perhaps more than good as no one wants to leave the bar, ha ha.
Well I hope you Guys will come back and visit us again soon
you both take care
Blessings
Monica & Martin

Reviewed 27 April 2012

If you love the marriot - type beach resorts, please go elsewhere. If you crave absolute breathtaking beauty in a natural, laid-back atmosphere, this is your place. Martin and Monica were tireless in their efforts to please and organize excusions and dinners and cars, etc. We especially enjoyed our rainforest escort, Kendall, who was THE best guide for a wonderful hike!
I only hope I can someday return...a most memorable stay.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank storky1
Charles3, Owner at Crystals St Lucia, responded to this reviewResponded 28 April 2012

Thank you for your kind and very positive review and I am happy you enjoyed your stay with us here at Crystals.
I have to say Kendal who has worked at Crystals for quite a while doing yoga and wellness health just expanded into doing special tours to include parts of the island no standard tour would go , keeping up with Crystals to make one get the true feel of our beautiful St Lucia
I do hope one day you will come back and visit us again soon..
Blessing to you both
Martin & Monica

Reviewed 25 April 2012

This is my second trip to Crystals. All I can say is- it is even better than I remembered.
Monica and Martin are the most wonderful hosts and try so hard to make sure everyone who stays has a great time. The Treetop bar has expanded and is a wonderful place to nature watch in the day and sip Champagne cocktails at night.

The whole place has a relaxing atmosphere.Hours can pass while you stare at the ever changing sky around the Pitons. It is also a great location if you want to explore the island of St. Lucia. Monica and Martin have a wide knowledge of the best places to visit and when.

Crystals really is like a secret Hideaway in the trees. I met some great couples from England, Canada, America and Switzerland. While I was there we were treated to a fantastic evening of Stand up comedy and violin playing by the talented guests who were staying there. A wonderful time was had by all helped along by the generous hosts refilling our glasses!

Crystals is a place where you really can refresh your spirit, relax and enoy every moment.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled solo