We recently hired the whole of Fond Doux for our wedding for 3 nights. We had a wonderful time. Our guests occupied ALL of the villas and most guests appreciated the individuality of the chalets, the friendliness of the staff, the beautiful grounds and the excellent dinner food. The owners went out of their way to give us the day we dreamed of. They succeeded. Our guests ranged from a 1 year old to a 78 year old and whilst the rouged paths make it very difficult to push a pram our 5 and 12 year old children had great fun playing in the dip pools. My advice is to choose your villa carefully as some are up steep hills so not suitable for all.
The majority of our guests thought the plantation an authentic Caribbean experience which provided an interesting contrast to the standard chain hotel. Inevitably some UK guests found the heat (there are gentle ceiling fans but no air conditioning) difficult to cope with and some of the characterful, wooden chalets were not to everyone’s standards of maintenance but in my opinion these short comings are out weighed by the many positives. I am sure the manager will be reviewing all the feedback given and taking the necessary steps to rectify matters.
Fond Doux is a family owned, tropical plantation offering accommodation to the independent traveller who wants something different. Like all forested areas there are insects, spiders, lizards and frogs all around but provided your mosquito net fits then you can sleep peacefully listening to the sounds of the forest.
The food at the buffet we arranged each night was great - varied and tasty - and the staff tried very hard to meet all of our needs. As throughout St Lucia, the service is sometimes more relaxed and haphazard than in other parts of the world. Welcome to the Caribbean!
Our villa was lovely with welcome flowers on the crisp white bed, clean bathrooms and a lovely veranda with comfy rocking chairs. The gardens are beautiful to walk around although care needs to be taken when it rains as the rough paths become slippy in places.
In summary, my husband and I love Fond Doux as nothing is fake, so you know you are in St Lucia rather than a hotel anywhere in the world. We are grateful to everyone at Fond Doux for making our wedding very special.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere