“Very Friendly”

Fond Doux Plantation & Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 5 September 2011

Had a very good time here. Staff were imformative and friendly. Food excellent each day and cottage was well equipped with fridge, good size bed and pleasant decor. Rained a bit while there but only in short bursts, so did not dampen our spirits. Jerome was always on hand to take us to wherever we wanted to go, some hidden gems including local towns where we saw some locals doing crafts. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 23 September 2011

Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us and the few outbursts of showers did not dampen your spirits. Off and on we do need a few drops of rain for the growth of our organic fruits, vegetables and flowers.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Best Regards

There are newer reviews for Fond Doux Plantation & Resort

Reviewed 1 September 2011

I stayed at Fort Doux at the end of July beginning of August 2011 and I was a woman travelling solo but meeting my family a few days after my arrival. My husband was quite anxious that I find a safe place to stay as we had heard a lot of horror stories. But I have to say, from the moment I got out of Hewonnara airport and saw my name (even correctly spelled, how rare!) on a sign in a smiling mans hand, I felt completely safe and welcomed.
The ride to Fort Doux was spectacular and once Jerome (my driver, a wonderfully funny man) realised how much I appreciate nature, he took every oppertunity to point out interesting and beautiful aspects of his home country. The drive flew by and before long I was welcomed into Fort Doux by smiling faces everywhere. I soon availed of the complimentary drink (Do try the Piton Beer while you're in St Lucia, its locally brewed, cheaper than the rest and tastes good!) and the perfectly cooked fresh fish that was on offer. At every meal, I was completely satisfied with the taste, the quality of the ingredients, the quantity and the price. And I felt healthy after eating, how often can you say that in your normal routine?!
The estate is breathtaking. There is a riotous, glorious display of life everywhere you look. The owners keep 2 cats and a dog to keep down the pests, but the birds are everywhere, and after a while you start seeing the geckos and the less visible wildlife too. And once you take the tour (a lovely lady whom I cannot remember the name of took myself and a family of three on the tour even though it wasnt her job, as the usual tourgivers were on holiday that day. She did a great job!) you realise how carefully maaged the estate is. They dont use any chemicals, everything is naturally sourced and what is harvested is done in such a way to ensure the continued health and growth of the system. They employ about 2 dozen local people around the estate in total, so by staying at Fort Doux, you're not only enriching yourself, you're also making a contribution to the local economy.
The owners, Eroline and Lyton are genuinely wonderful people. They really go out of their way to make sure that you are happy while staying wih them and will pause on thier way to somewhere else to ask how you're doing or suggest a sightseeing spot or simply point out a plant or animal and tell you about it before moving on with a smile. On the second night, when I was sitting at the bar on my own, Lyton introduced himself and invited me to join him and his friends while I was there. It was a great night! The following night was the same, we stayed up debating everything from history to politics to jokes to everywhere!
I've never been in a place where you could just sit and listen and not hear any human activity, just the birds and insects and plants rustling and rain falling and yet be a 40 second walk from the centre of the resort. My cabin was upgraded to the Avocado before I got there and I had absolute calm and peace all around me.The place was gorgeous, spacious, and maintained the perfect temperature even though the fans werent on during the day. It was in fact a 2bed family cabin with kitchen and sitting room and I highly recommend it!
The staff were fantastic, everyone was helpful and all I heard was laughter. It really brightens your day when you hear the people that are working to provide you with a good holiday, laughing themselves sick as they go about their jobs. (and yes, you can hear the difference betwen positive and negative laughter, even when theconversations are in a different language)
In short, if you want peace, nature, relaxation and to be revitalised in a positive environment, then you are looking for Fort Doux.
Maybe my husband and I will see you there.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Afton C
Reviewed 19 August 2011

The location was beautiful, the rainforest setting and views spectacular, so what a shame that the cleanliness of my cottage and the standard of service was so sub-standard. My cottage was dirty on arrival. It had a pane of glass missing from one of the windows on arrival. Where there were no windows but only insect mesh, parts of the mesh were missing so mosquitos could easily enter the cottage. The mosquito net did not cover the bed if you also wanted the fan above the bed to work (and there was no air conditioning). No towels by the pool - I was told to fetch a towel from reception and then waited 15 minutes in reception for a towel to arrive. If you arrived at the pool without a towel you could phone for one but then had to wait 15/20 minutes for someone to bring a towel. At breakfast the buffet was only topped up on request so I constantly had to ask for the food (if I could find a member of staff), frequently cutlery was missing from the tables so there maybe food but nothing to eat it with! - and more often than not, no staff in sight. Lots of safety issues if you have young children - the walk/climb to the pool is impossible with a push chair without lots of help. Many of the light bulbs lighting the way to my cottage which was quite a walk up hill did not work and the one outside the door of my cottage didn't work so I found it very difficult in pitch black to locate the key hole. If it hadn't been that I was there for a wedding taking place at Fond Doux I would have moved to another hotel.
This could be a fantastic boutique hotel given its location, but it seriously lacks customer focus and any sort of management over day to day running of the hotel.

Room Tip: Better to go for a ground level cottage
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled with friends
3  Thank mrstweedy12
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 22 August 2011

Thank you for your review of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. This is actually our second time responding to your review as your previous review was removed.

Guests’ experience are all individual and it is not our practice to dispute genuine guests concerns, however on this occasion we feel we must tell both sides of the story, as your review has us somewhat perplexed. We would have understood if you had decided to check out if you felt the property was not for you. There were guests present at the wedding who were accommodated at other hotels due to Fond Doux being fully booked. It is curious that you had such a negative time whilst staying with us and that it was not brought to our attention.

The cottages are checked daily and we were surprised to read that you found your cottage dirty, without mentioning anything specific. The missing insect mesh was replaced the same day it was reported to us. You are correct in saying that we do not have air-conditioning but this is not something that we advertise we have.

Towels to be used by the pool are available in a basket daily, brought up to the pool deck in the morning and checked regularly. Our breakfast buffet is constantly refreshed; we have had three guests write reviews during the same time period about our excellent food. We have never had guests report they could not “find” a member of staff.

With regards to “Safety Issues” at the hotel we are unaware of any. The pathways mentioned are well maintained and the trails are in keeping with our plantation theme. We are proud that this is not a concrete jungle, it is maybe a little more rustic than anticipated but many of our guests use the swimming pool area without hindrance. Indeed the cobbled walkway can be viewed on our “youtube” page.

Bulbs on the walkways can sometimes blow but these are reported nightly by security staff and replaced the next morning.

The other wedding guests, many of whom have written some lovely reviews, did not mention any of the issues above whilst they stayed during the same time period. However as we said earlier guests’ experiences vary and guests’ expectations of a hotel are different, especially when looking for an authentic experience compared to a chain hotel.

We strive to be an authentic ecological holiday escape in a tropical jungle and not a “western style boutique hotel”. On this occasion it seems we did not fill your personal requirements and we hope that if return to the Caribbean you find accommodations more to your taste.

Best Regards,
Eroline & Lyton

Reviewed 26 July 2011

If you like rustic charm and privacy this estate oozes it. My boyfriend and I stayed here in January 2011 in the "Guava Hilltop" cottage and while its a little bit of a climb up to the room I loved it from the minute I saw it perched on the hillside. Once inside it is a large clean and airy cottage, tastefully decorated and has the added charm of "gingerbread" lattice style work around the tops of the ceiling. I do love a bathtub however unfortunately it was shower only, but the bathroom was also lovely and very clean. My boyfriend LOVED the large balcony which was accessed by large french doors (this cottage does have the best view of all the cottages) which had two large wicker rockers. The room contains a safe, small fridge and there is the ability to make tea and coffee. There's no TV but we didn't miss it so I wouldn't call it a drawback. The cottages are set stand alone amongst the lush gardens (only two are on the hillside) and are very private with little paths connecting them to the dining area and reception. With regard to amenities, I STRONGLY RECOMMEND you take advantage of one of the estates packages. We were initially reluctant to commit ourselves to dining only at the estate but once we explored the small town of Soufriere (about a ten minute drive away), were glad we had chosen this option as town is a bit scruffy. For lunch we would buy bread and a pastry/cake from one of the bakeries in Soufriere (there seemed to be only two, and each had either a choice of one type of bread and one type of cake such as fruitcake) and some cheese from the little supermarket and eat this on the balcony of our room. The food at the resort was good, and I strongly recommend Winnifred's Rum Punch!! The staff are very helpful, friendly and courteous. We hired a small car for two days and found this a very good option, but do bear in mind the roads are very narrow, steep and winding - don't try to drive around the little towns as we did on a couple of occasions as its far too narrow and reversing isn't fun!! Don't take any valuables with you, and I would dress down. The locals will try to hitchhike and we picked up a few here and there, but I would be discerning. We really only had two drawbacks which concerned transport - no-one was there to meet us at the airport for the transfer to the estate despite giving flight details, times etc beforehand, and after our sunset cruise we were left waiting again, this time in Sourfriere on a Friday night. We chatted with the local young men who were out drinking at the dark water front for about 40min before walking across to the police station to ask them to ring the resort to find out where our ride was. The locals were lovely, but it was dark, and a foreign town with high poverty where they seem to hit the rum and weed hard so while I felt reasonably safe I also was alert to the fact that situations can turn ugly. The resort owners had gone for a few days to a conference and I wonder if the resort driver had relaxed a little because of this. However despite this our stay on the resort was an experience to remember.

Room Tip: Just ask, we were booked for the Banana Room but I asked if Hilltop Guava were available & voila...
  • Stayed: January 2011, travelled as a couple
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

Thank you for your very comprehensive review of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. The cottages on the hillside are very popular and the gentle breeze at night is very refreshing. Thank you for your recommendation of our packages. It’s great to read that you enjoyed our cuisine.

The driving in Soufriere can be challenging at times, maybe that’s why the water taxis are so popular! A lot of cars can be parked at the sides of the roads so this does make the roads narrower and trickier.

We are very sorry we failed in our duty to transfer you back to the hotel. We do apologise for this as this is not the high standard of service we expect to give our guests. Since your time with us we have tightened up our procedures on this.

Thank you again and we hope you will be able to return.

Regards,

Reviewed 23 July 2011

We attended a fantastic wedding at Fond Doux last weekend. The reception room was gorgeous and the food delicious. A steel band played when we first arrived and then we were led up some beautifully decorated steps to the actual service. A magical wedding in luscious, tropical surroundings in a traditional plantation. Some paths were a little rugged and steep and the public toilet areas could do with a little updating but did not detract from the charm of the resort. We cannot comment on the rooms as we did not stay at the wedding venue

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind comments regarding Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. Although you did not stay at the hotel we are happy that you enjoyed the hospitality. We will pass your comments onto our entire team.

Reviewed 22 July 2011

We recently hired the whole of Fond Doux for our wedding for 3 nights. We had a wonderful time. Our guests occupied ALL of the villas and most guests appreciated the individuality of the chalets, the friendliness of the staff, the beautiful grounds and the excellent dinner food. The owners went out of their way to give us the day we dreamed of. They succeeded. Our guests ranged from a 1 year old to a 78 year old and whilst the rouged paths make it very difficult to push a pram our 5 and 12 year old children had great fun playing in the dip pools. My advice is to choose your villa carefully as some are up steep hills so not suitable for all.

The majority of our guests thought the plantation an authentic Caribbean experience which provided an interesting contrast to the standard chain hotel. Inevitably some UK guests found the heat (there are gentle ceiling fans but no air conditioning) difficult to cope with and some of the characterful, wooden chalets were not to everyone’s standards of maintenance but in my opinion these short comings are out weighed by the many positives. I am sure the manager will be reviewing all the feedback given and taking the necessary steps to rectify matters.

Fond Doux is a family owned, tropical plantation offering accommodation to the independent traveller who wants something different. Like all forested areas there are insects, spiders, lizards and frogs all around but provided your mosquito net fits then you can sleep peacefully listening to the sounds of the forest.

The food at the buffet we arranged each night was great - varied and tasty - and the staff tried very hard to meet all of our needs. As throughout St Lucia, the service is sometimes more relaxed and haphazard than in other parts of the world. Welcome to the Caribbean!

Our villa was lovely with welcome flowers on the crisp white bed, clean bathrooms and a lovely veranda with comfy rocking chairs. The gardens are beautiful to walk around although care needs to be taken when it rains as the rough paths become slippy in places.

In summary, my husband and I love Fond Doux as nothing is fake, so you know you are in St Lucia rather than a hotel anywhere in the world. We are grateful to everyone at Fond Doux for making our wedding very special.

Room Tip: Angelina villa
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2011

Good Day:
Thank you for the priviledge to host and share your wedding day. We understood the factors involved in making this important choice of location as both your husband and you have travelled extensively around the world.

We are elated when you tell our tripadvisor readers that we succeeded in executing your dream.We are dedicated and committed to enhancing and to provide best quality service and accommodations in our own authentic caribbean paradise.

We are reviewing feedback and are rectifying and upgrading all issues in order to ensure a wonderful holiday experience for all our guests without exception. As you pointed out Fonddoux Plantation is located in a tropical rainforest and therefore we continue to work with "Mother Nature".

Fonddoux Plantation is becoming synonymous with individualized and personal wedding celebrations where our staff partcipate and provide this caribbean flavor and atmosphere to a once in a lifetime dream.

Our resolve is to continue to aim even higher to excel at Fonddoux Plantation not withstanding our relaxed caribbean.Therefore we thank you once again for choosing Fonddoux and also finding the time to share this positive review.

Reviewed 21 July 2011

I'm genuinely drawn to this place! The well placed cottages that are carefully inserted into the hillside and discreetly blend into the canopy of the trees....a most awesome way to watch the sunshine rise from the hammock on the verandah. Being an early-riser, a couple of mornings after a good sleep, I just lay in that hammock and wondered why life seems so complicated when the simple thiings that can bring joy are right there.....serenity is what I found there! .....if it was gritty in my bed the first night, it is because I walked into a room with a scattering of petals and on the bedcover some artfully arranged to say "WELCOME" and without shaking the covers slipped right in after hand-picking the petals.....guess it's my love of nature. I must say: to this place with my family I will return!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo

We appreciate the time taken to write your review. We are so happy you seem to have really embraced Fond Doux Holiday Plantation for what we aim to be. When you take your family we will put a reserved sign on the hammock for you! The hammock is a great place to relax but be careful as the odd lizard has been known to want to join you!

Thank you for your kind comments and hope to see you again soon.

Regards,
Eroline & Lyton Lamontagne

Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
Anse Chastanet
Anse Chastanet
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
Windjammer Landing Villa Beach Resort

Been to Fond Doux Plantation & Resort? Share your experiences!