My wife and I have just returned from FondDoux Holiday Plantation. This was without doubt a holiday venue I would not recommend to any reader. The web site does not reflect the reality of this destination. The owners have clearly not trained there staff to any acceptable standard.
The menu in the restaurant never changed during our ten day stay. Many mornings (5) no bacon was available - on other morning no yoghurt (3) and so the list could continue. The pool was disgustingly filthy and a health hazard. The hotel assured me that a taxi would meet us on arrival - this did not happen but the cost did manage to appear on my final acount! I would also warn that on settling the account some was in EC$ but then it also reverted to US$ - watch out for this as it's a cute way to mis-charge. It took me one hour to finally settle my account correctly on the day of leaving. The path to our cottage contunually had 8 lights out and despite 3 complaints and on one occasion being told the 'electrician has been' the problem was never resolved - beware you need lighting on the pathway in the dark. Did the hotel have any flashlights (common in East Africa - Kenya, Uganda etc) NO!
If you are a vegetarian which my wife is then forget ever eating at Fonddoux - Pumpkin Soup, a plate of lettuce with tomatoe (singular) and some carrot or Pasta with a few vegetables is the limit!! On one evening we went down for dinner at 8.40 in the evening to be told 'the chef has gone home - do you want us to get him back?'
Thankfully we found two very good places to eat and one 'Mango Tree' was very good indeed with excellent service at any time!
The pool is a complete health hazard & not maintained in any way whatsover - the so called pool bar is beyond description - so see my pictures.
Fonddoux is in my view past its sell buy date and their web site flatters to deceive.
In conclusion I should say that my wife and I are very experienced travellers who always try to find places to stay that are different and unique. Unfortunately on this occasion Fonddoux was both but not in a good way
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Booking.com so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere