“Nothing like the web site” 2 of 5 bubbles

Fond Doux Plantation & Resort
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersGold level
Ruthin, United Kingdom
“Nothing like the web site”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2011

My wife and I have just returned from FondDoux Holiday Plantation. This was without doubt a holiday venue I would not recommend to any reader. The web site does not reflect the reality of this destination. The owners have clearly not trained there staff to any acceptable standard.
The menu in the restaurant never changed during our ten day stay. Many mornings (5) no bacon was available - on other morning no yoghurt (3) and so the list could continue. The pool was disgustingly filthy and a health hazard. The hotel assured me that a taxi would meet us on arrival - this did not happen but the cost did manage to appear on my final acount! I would also warn that on settling the account some was in EC$ but then it also reverted to US$ - watch out for this as it's a cute way to mis-charge. It took me one hour to finally settle my account correctly on the day of leaving. The path to our cottage contunually had 8 lights out and despite 3 complaints and on one occasion being told the 'electrician has been' the problem was never resolved - beware you need lighting on the pathway in the dark. Did the hotel have any flashlights (common in East Africa - Kenya, Uganda etc) NO!
If you are a vegetarian which my wife is then forget ever eating at Fonddoux - Pumpkin Soup, a plate of lettuce with tomatoe (singular) and some carrot or Pasta with a few vegetables is the limit!! On one evening we went down for dinner at 8.40 in the evening to be told 'the chef has gone home - do you want us to get him back?'
Thankfully we found two very good places to eat and one 'Mango Tree' was very good indeed with excellent service at any time!
The pool is a complete health hazard & not maintained in any way whatsover - the so called pool bar is beyond description - so see my pictures.
Fonddoux is in my view past its sell buy date and their web site flatters to deceive.
In conclusion I should say that my wife and I are very experienced travellers who always try to find places to stay that are different and unique. Unfortunately on this occasion Fonddoux was both but not in a good way

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JohnD_10
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 14 December 2011
Thank you for your comments which we immediately looked into as we pride ourselves on providing our guests an experience memorable for its excellence. We are therefore sorry if we fell short during your stay but are encouraged to note you decided to stay the full 10 days with us.

Management, while looking into the issues you listed to correct them immediately, was puzzled that you did not lodge any complaints when you were at the property for 10 days.

Please contact us directly to ensure your concerns were met and to discuss a possible future stay with us.

Your comments help us maintain a property and experience our guests look forward to repeating with us.

Eroline & Lyton Lamontagne

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
St. Albert, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2011

We had the most enjoyable time at this quaint & cute place. The pools are carved into the rock face and are secluded with a view of the valley. The accommodation is a series of cabin-style villas. though the word 'cabin' does not give them justice. We stayed in a 1 br place with a beautiful deck area & well appointed interior. The restaurant was open air and on top of being in a beautiful setting, the food was excellent. The staff was the real treat. They fell over themselves making sure that we had everything we needed. The couple that run the plantation are sticklers for detail. Nothing was overlooked! When LIAT lost our luggage (as they often do!) owner made it her personal mission to get us looked after. This was the most relaxing and romantic vacation we've ever had. Might not be the best place to keep a bunch of kids entertained, but couples will LOVE this place!

Room Tip: The villas are removed from the main area. Take one that has a bit of a walk and enjoy the scenery.
  • Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank RitaandGreg
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 15 November 2011
Good Day,

On behalf of the management and staff at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation, I would like to thank you for taking the time and effort to provide feedback on your stay with us. We are elated that you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciated our unique architecture and landscaping throughout the plantation.

Our chefs take pride in using their culinary skills and local produce to provide an exceptional dining experience on every occasion.

Our entire team is dedicated to ensuring a memorable stay to all our guests and they are always eager to offer assistance whenever it may be required.

Once again we would like to thank you for becoming part of our Fond Doux family and we look forward to welcoming you again in the not too distant future.

Niagara-on-the-Lake, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2011

We spent our 2nd anniversary at Fond Doux in October, 2011. It was our first trip to St. Lucia and I have been known as "hyper-prepared", so before we arrived, I emailed the resort and had great communication with Omo at the front desk, which made me feel quite comfortable to know all the details were taken care of, such as airport transfers and information about things around the area. When we arrived at the airport, Jerome was there with a sign with my name on it and we were whisked out of the airport in the hotel's shuttle and off for the fun drive through the peaks and valleys towards Soufriere. Jerome, who drove us all week, gave us great information about the area and culture and even told us that St. Lucians are obsessed with old-time country music, and, his favourite SoCa, which was always on the radio.
We arrived at dusk to the sounds of the tree-frogs and cicadas, had a drink at the bar, and found out we were 2 of 4 people staying at the whole resort. Nonetheless, there was a full staff available as they were getting ready for the high-season to begin. There were more fabulous staff than guests! Donny the GM came to greet us and acquaint us with our surroundings, at breakfast the next day he gave us maps and "must-sees" in the area.
Our cottage was Hillside Guava, which had a stunning view of the valley from high on the hill. It was a trek, and with the increase in humidity the first few trips left me breathless, but by the end of the week I was flying up the steps. The room was nicely appointed with a comfortable bed, and rocking chairs outside on the balcony. The jalousie louvered doors opened fully to a gorgeous view. We also stayed in Banana Tree, which was a neat cottage with a more jungle-like view. The rooms had mini-fridges and surprisingly good "steeped" coffee bags with a kettle. When we asked, they brought up a coffee maker for us right away. I felt bad asking for things from reception because they had to hike all the way up to our cottage, but the staff was always genuine and smiling. Any issues that arose during the week (as they prepared for the high-season, working out all the kinks) were taken care of to the best of the staff's ability, and courteously. As we wandered about the plantation, the staff greeted us by name with genuine smiles. We live in Niagara and compared to tourism here, it was quite the surprise to see hospitality staff so happy and inviting. The cottages were rustic in nature, but they were very clean and well attended. The bed was clean and comfortable

The whole plantation was lovingly landscaped and cared for with stunning flowers and trees. Guavas literally rained down on us on the trip up to our cottage, we picked them up and ate them right off the tree. Omo took us for a tour and picked us oranges, grapefruits, starfruits, bananas, which we ate right off the tree. There is a fruit bowl in the room which they encouraged us to go and fill ourselves! I am a doctor practicing natural medicine, and Omo showed us many medicinal plants and traditional remedies for common ailments. I was enthralled! (We also did the Tet Paul hike, which was a BIG hike to the top from Fond Doux, but worth all the sweat. At the top the guide gave us another tour including all the medicinal plants etc plus gorgeous views of the Pitons, jalousie beach and St. Vincent)

We spent most of our time at the pool, which was, I think, UV filtered as there was NO chlorine which we loved! The view and breezes on the pool-decks were stunning. I borrowed a book from the pool library and read it all week. There were lots of selections! It was nice to have the computer and internet right there too.

The most memorable part of our trip was the food. I am a foodie and this was the most important part for me. The chickens were literally in a coop near the restaurant, the veggies and herbs were sourced from the gardens. I have never eaten healthier in any place in the world. The food was organic by nature, and completely unprocessed. It was heaven! Our biggest excitement is that we are intolerant to North-American processed eggs, and we were able to have eggs from the plantation restaurant all week, as the chickens were free-range and fed properly. Heaven!!!!

Our only words of advice for travellers (to any open-air hotel Soufriere) is that we had some difficulty adjusting to the noise of the jungle at night, so we had a few restless nights. I figured out to listen to white-noise on my Ipod and that seemed to block it out.
For future visitors, here are some answers to questions I had before we left:
1) It was genuinely easy to travel around, albeit at a cost. They arranged to have Jerome or Marcus (another driver) to pick us up whenever we wanted. We stayed in the Soufriere area, it is very remote but worth it for the views
2) The mosquitos weren't bad at all. No worse than my patio in Niagara. A little citronella and I was left alone.
3) The walk to Tet-Paul and the Volcano were STEEP. You can also walk to Ladera and Hotel Chocolat during the day, but we got pretty sweaty. It was a fun experience, but in the humidity it got a little intense. Go in the morning was the advice the staff gave us, they were right!

Overall, it was a very memorable and unique trip. Certainly an escape from chain-hotels, gaudy "entertainment" shows, and americanized food and restaurants. I certainly recommend it!

Room Tip: Hillsides have better breezes, the other cottages were down in the valley in the shade
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank drkristin
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 18 November 2011
We would like to extend sincere thanks for your extensive review of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation following your recent stay.
We are delighted that Omo, Jerome and Donnie contributed to making your stay enjoyable.
We are commited to providing our guests with the highest level of service and it is satisfying to know that you enjoyed our hotel facilities and accomodations.
Our culinary team works hard to create an exceptional dining experience and we are happy that our “food” was the highlight of your trip.We strive to offer our guests an authentic St.Lucian experience where by we ‘’eat what we grow’’.
Thank you once again for your review and we hope to welcome you back to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation and St. Lucia.

Grenada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2011

My husband and I are CARICOM nationals and were looking for a little near-by escape so when I came across the 3 night romantic package offered by the Fond Doux, I felt it would be a perfect fit. I loved the idea of the holiday plantation. It was as I expected, very charming, relaxing and secluded. We stayed at the Cinnamon Cottage which was nice and comfortable, fitted with the basics.

The package itself delivered as promised. We had cocktail greeting upon arrival; the sunset cruise which was wonderful, the spa treatment for two, and the candle-lit dinner were all commendable. I would really recommend this or the five –day romantic package to any couple. The staff there was very helpful and friendly; Jerome the driver gave us a mini tour of St Lucia on our long airport transfer from Castries to Soufriere. Tracy, Lovlia, and Roselyn at the restaurants and Omu and Indira at reception were all very considerate (of my pregnancy), and friendly. We were a little disappointed that we didn’t receive any form of greeting/reception from the manager and the owner on how our visit was going, on occasions when they were present and had the opportunity to do so. Our only encounter with Mr. Lamontange was when one of the ladies at breakfast called him over to assist us with some driving directions while at the restaurant.

St Lucia is a beautiful island overall. Our experience was a wonderful one. Our trip was a little too short and so we have considered doing a longer trip in the future to cover most of the island.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for taking the time and making the effort to provide your feedback about your recent stay at Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

We are devoted to providing our guests with the highest level of service and it is satisfying to know that your overrall expectations were exceeded.

Thank you for your kind comments towards our staff and we will certainly pass this on.

We deeply regret that we did not get an opportunity to formerly welcome you to our “Tropical Garden Of Eden”. We hope to make up for this disappoinment on your next visit.

Thank you you once again for your review and we will look forward to welcoming you back to Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. We understand that a future vist may well be on the horizon.

Medicine Hat, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 October 2011

We spent 2 weeks at the Fond Doux plantation and loved every minute of it. It is a tranquil and secluded spot offering lots to do in the environs. Soufriere town, Botanical Gardens, Tet Paul and the Sulpher Springs are all within walking distance. For the Piton Hike, Jalousie Beach or other destinations there is a shuttle bus available at a small cost other than the beach. The owners and the staff are very friendly and are there to make your stay a pleasant experience. The cottages are comfortable (we were fortunate to stay in both Bamboo and Hillside Coconut) and there is a pleasant cooling walk through the plantation and a relaxing pool area. Fond Doux is perfect to get away from hussle and bustle of life. One of my best holidays ever. The southern end of the island has lots to offer.

Room Tip: The higher cottages are cooler at night and offer fantastic scenery.
1 Thank JOHN_DARGAVEL
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 28 October 2011
Thank you for your review of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation. We do have a great location being so close to all the major attractions but it is always good to come back to the peace and tranquillity we have at Fond Doux. We are happy to read you managed to tour the southern end of the island as well as it is so different from further north and the small fishing villages are wonderful to visit.

Rensselaer, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2011

We spent 10 days on St Lucia for our honeymoon. The first 5 were at a big chain resort in the north, and the last five at Fond Doux. Such a special place. You must first understand that this is not your typical chain resort type hotel. If your looking for that all-inclusive staff up your butt sort of a place look else where. We got the 'romance package' for our stay, and were glad we did. We went in the rainy/slow season, so as it worked out we were the only one's there for a few days besides a guest that has been there on a three month stay. We were greeted with a cocktail by Beverly in the bar area of the Jardin Cocoa Restaurant. Such a charming woman, we would spend a long time laughing with her throughout our stay. Our bags were taken up to the Tree House. When we finished we were shown up to the cottage. What a great spot! The stairs are not for the faint of heart, but the view makes it worth the hike. We had a plunge pool in the living room area and an enclosed bedroom. There was a small cabinet with a fridge and a hot-pot for coffee/tea. The "living room" is more of a deck/lanai. It has a roof and one wall, the rest is open. When you're in the rainforest, it makes perfect sense. The frogs at night and the geckos all during the day make this place wonderful! The room was comfortable, nothing spectacular but suited all our needs. I'd say the only bad thing was that the mosquito net kept the fan from blowing right on us. There are no t.v.'s or radios at the resort, but there is free wi-fi at the pool and by reception. I wouldn't have minded having a radio in the room, but we did just fine without it. The sun rose quite early, if you can't sleep with the sun in your room, bring some of those eye masks. Really though the early mornings were quite nice and I enjoyed getting up and setting out on our deck and watch nature go by. Please also note

On to the staff. They are so fantastic. Donny the GM made a point to talk to us everyday, and we enjoyed his company. The restaurant staff was attentive and helpful. Tracy and Lovelia, and of course Beverly. Jerome was our driver for when we did the sunset cruise, and he was great fun to talk to on our way to and from Soufriere. Omo,and the rest, were polite with always a nice word, asking how our day was and if we needed anything at all. Tracy would even check on us when we were up at the pool. We also had an hour long couples massage at the Mother Earth Spa, so relaxing! I would definitely recommend!

The food was excellent. We were there for the slow season, so some of the menu items were not available. Which coming from the food business I understood and had no problem with. Both our meals (breakfast & dinner) were delicious. The french toast was awesome! Did find it a little odd when we got American Hot dogs served as sausages for breakfast, but we had seen that at the other resort as well. So it wasn't a huge surprise. I had the catch of the day several times, the steak was excellent as were the lamb chops. The chef, who I understand was a recent addition to the plantation, is doing a great job.

We had rented a car for our stay in the south, so we had a bit more mobility then some. The roads are windy but once you get used to them, it's not so bad. We went into town to do some grocery shopping for snacks and such. It is a very poor area and locals can spot a tourist a mile away. Just be prepared to say no firmly, and keep walking. We went to the local market and bakery (The Purity Bakery was delicious!) and went back home.

All in all, it was a wonderful stay. If we go to St. Lucia again, Fond Doux will be in our travel plans.

Room Tip: Tree house if you've got good legs, if not, choose something closer to the main area.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 30 September 2011
Thank you very much for your thorough review of Fond Doux Holiday Plantation.

We really do appreciate the time people take to let us know what we do well and of course any improvements we can make. We are happy that you found something different at Fond Doux compared to larger resorts.

The Tree House is very popular among our Honeymoon guests and the plunge pool is unique among our cottages. The stairs up are steep but as you say are well worth the view! Thank you for commenting on the mosquito net and we have rectified this for future guests.

We are very grateful for you kind remarks towards our staff and we will pass this on to them. Food is always one of the highlights of any vacation and thank you for your endorsement of our Chef !

It is fantastic to read you enjoyed your time with us and thank you again for your review.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2011

Had a very good time here. Staff were imformative and friendly. Food excellent each day and cottage was well equipped with fridge, good size bed and pleasant decor. Rained a bit while there but only in short bursts, so did not dampen our spirits. Jerome was always on hand to take us to wherever we wanted to go, some hidden gems including local towns where we saw some locals doing crafts. All in all a great stay.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Fonddoux, Owner at Fond Doux Plantation & Resort, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Thank you for your valuable feedback.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay here with us and the few outbursts of showers did not dampen your spirits. Off and on we do need a few drops of rain for the growth of our organic fruits, vegetables and flowers.
Once again thank you for your comments and we look forward to welcoming you in the not too distant future.

Eroline & Lyton Lamontagne
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Jade Mountain Resort
#5 of 11 in Soufriere
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,125 reviews
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Capella Marigot Bay Resort and Marina

Been to Fond Doux Plantation & Resort? Share your experiences!