My husband and two sons (ages 3 and 5) had an amazing stay here. We could not have been made to feel more welcome and the boys and we had lovely days going for walks and enjoying the adventure of being in the rain forest. Whilst we were there, our son was quite ill and the hotel staff and owner were all so lovely - finding him fresh coconut to drink from and calling in even on one staff member's day off, to check he was ok. Within 10 minutes everyone knew our kids names and were taking them off to make hot chocolate with fresh chocolate, knew which child loved mango and which preferred coconuts etc. Since we have had kids we have been staying in big resorts for the past few years and I had forgotten how nice it is to be genuinely welcomed somewhere. We left very sad to go and with my son ecstatic with his bag of mangos the owner gave him. It was a great adventure and we genuinely hope to return very soon.
It is a bit rustic type accomodation, which is part of the charm - big terrace with matching rockers was perfect. It could be made a bit more stylish by painting the insides of the huts, getting rid of a lot of the wicker lounge furniture and floral prints and also using some really good quality bed linen. I would probably lose the bit dated kitchen units in the cottages also - much nicer and more atmosphere for everyone to come to the restaurant. The pools also need some updating and could be made safer for young children.
But - I wouldn't let any of that be of any concern and if it is, then you're missing the point of the place. It's a wonderful place, beautifully run, which is a great adventure and welcoming to families (even though its geared towards couples and very peaceful, I didn't feel like my hectic kids were a problem once - and I don't think they bothered other people there) and definitely worth visiting. It's also a lovely option to combine with a resort on the beach.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Traveltool, S.L.U., HRS, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere