We travel to a beach at least once a year, and this island is without a doubt the most laid back. we never once got hassled to buy anything, even on the beach! the shuttle will take you down to sugar beach at 10 am and return to get you at 3pm. this is plenty of beach time. Sugar beach is not a long white sand beach you may find at other islands but the view and gentle breeze is very relaxing. make sure you bring water shoes and snorkle kit. i would recommend a shoe like: NeoSport Wetsuits Premium Neoprene 3mm Low Top Pull On Boot.
the beach is a little rocky and the beach breaks down as follows:
the far right (narrow side) is the free public beach and here the chairs are free to sit in, but bring a towel from the hotel.
the middle section of the beach has dark fake leather loungers to rent for $20us/person per day
the far left are white chairs that are part of sugar beach resort, the cost is $50/day and they will sit you towards the back rows as the front "best" seats are for guests.
All in all the public side is great with a towel on the chair and the straw covered areas are very nice. you can always put your towel over on the sandier part of the beach on the sand and not pay for a lounger.
Back to the resort, the rooms are cool! We stayed in Papaya hill top room. they are very local feeling so nothing feels dated. the outdoor showers are great, plenty of room and very nicely tiled. the plunge pool is very small and you will probably not spend much time in it, but the view is definitely better than what you will get at a non hill top room. The Papaya room is the lowest hilltop cottage so i would recomend trying to get one higher up for a bigger view of the valley (please note this hotel is on the back side of the hill from the water). views are still great and the day bed is cool to relax in. there is a safe in the room and all the soap and shampoo you will need.
the pools on the property are very nice, we never swam in them as we always went to the beach or for a hike. the property is very nice, and on day one make sure you hike the trail going out the back of the resort. its a 15 min hike to a great view.
paul tet trail is super close and will have a better view than any other view from the island. we hiked the gros piton and the view was no where close.
we didnt have any issues with bugs. the fan above the bed was adequate for cooling us down at night.
things to note before booking:
this is not a resort, only 12 units so you will have plenty of your own space where ever you are
you will need to take a taxi almost everywhere you want to go, but believe me the cost for a taxi from the resort is so much better than pricing friends paid from other resorts. the two drivers there are Dennis and Marcus. both very friendly and safe drivers. please note that taxi costs will add up fast.
the restaurant is nothing special, the food is defiantly more affordable than other restaurants but we had better meals other places (albeit for a higher price). you must do Ladara for sunset, Fond Doux will call to make the reservation for you and set up your cab.
the beds are not soft, if you are used to a very plush pillow top bed, than you may wake up sore.
they will kind of give you the feeling like they are disappointed when you do not book a trip through the hotel, as i am sure there is a mark up on pricing, but dont feel obligated, as we got exactly what we wanted though research on trip advisor. Both Solomon water taxi and Mystic Man tours were great!
our stay was great. the staff was very helpful. the fruit at breakfast was great, along with the local bakes (try em!). this hotel will not blow you away with a view of the ocean but what it offers is a very relaxing stay (although there are ear plugs in the drawer for guests that are kept up by the sound of animal/frogs/bugs in the plantation). you will have plenty of space and never feel crowed. Soufriere is defiantly the area of the island you want to stay at, as there is lots to do.
for the price it is wonderful, if you are comparing other hotels, here are my thoughts:
Ladara has by far the best view, but you will pay for it, so if you want the view of both Pitons you may cut your trip down by a few days to afford to stay here if you are staying within a budget
Stonefield also has a good view of one of the Pitons from every room like Ladara, it has bigger plunge pools, but the rooms are a little more dated. this place also has a good view for dinner, but rooms and dinner are a little pricier than Fond Doux.
All in all, if you like nature and your own space to enjoy your family or loved ones, Fond Doux is a great hotel, just make sure you explore trials or other places for dinner to enjoy the view you want most while you are on the island. those Pitons are beautiful!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere