We had a wonderful time! What makes Fond Doux the ideal place to stay is that the owners are on-site and they truly care about the experience of every one of their guests and the staff feels this way to. Here are a few highlights.
People: As noted the owners and staff care about their guests, they are invested in helping you relax and enjoy yourself. They get to know you and anticipate your needs. In the restaurant Regina, Luska, and Kendall were all friendly and kind, making us feel like part of the family. For most of our stay Happiness shuttled us around the island but he is more than a driver, even more than a tour guide. Happiness understands how to enhance the guest experience he knows the big and small things that make your visit more enjoyable. He also watched out for us, he gave us insider tips for each site he took us to, set us up with the best tour guides, and somehow he never kept us wait to be picked up. He also went above and beyond in several ways such as loaning us money when we left the resort without enough cash for proper tipping and running to us with bottles of water when he learned we became dehydrated while hiking the Gros Piton. We can’t thank Happiness enough for all he did for us. By the end of our stay we felt like we had made several new friends including Lyton and Eroline, the owners.
Villas: Reading the reviews prior to booking our stay at Fond Doux we formed the impression that one of the hillside villas is a must. This is not entirely true. Yes the hillside villas are amazing and more than worth the upgrade fee but the lower villas are lovely and comfortable even without air-conditioning. Due to a booking mix up we spent a few nights in both areas. We loved our hillside villa “Papaya” but were comfortable in the lower “Cinnamon” villa. Hillside benefits: view, plunge pool, outdoor shower, a little more private, and more spacious. Both villas were clean, had comfortable beds, and nice cool breezes.
Amenities: The pool is lovely, quiet, and a poolside drink or lunch is just a phone call away. We enjoyed a couple of massages of good quality. My husband is a massage therapist so we have a good frame of reference on massage – these were worth the cost, not advanced techniques but solid deep work that was beneficial to our overworked hiking muscles. The touring package also worth the cost, allows for a good balance between island highlights, adventure activities, and R&R. We enjoyed the food at the resort. Breakfast is simple but abundant and dinners highlight the island cuisine. We began to refer to the food as a “plantation to plate” experience. All meals were prepared with fruits, vegetables, and spices that were just picked on the property and overflowing with flavor. We had fun exploring ways to expand this concept with the owners.
There is more I can say but much longer the review will become tedious – in short highly recommend staying here if you are looking for a real Caribbean experience over the standards that a chain hotel offers.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort is a 19th century eco-friendly colonial resort nestled in the heart of St. Lucia, best known for romantic, intimate, and private luxury cottages. The resort is situated amidst a 250 year old working plantation and features an assortment of 15 uniquely crafted cottages, two on-site restaurants, and a collage of outdoor swimming pools, as well as an organic spa. The resort is a scenic 45 minute drive from the island's international airport. As a guest of Fond Doux, you will be conveniently located just minutes away from St. Lucia's main attractions, including The Pitons, The Sulphur Springs - 'The Caribbean's only drive in volcano' - and the best diving sites on the island, all within a prestigious UNESCO World Heritage Site. Whether you're traveling for business, a romantic honeymoon or wedding escape, or for a fun-filled family vacation, Fond Doux Plantation & Resort offers the perfect ambiance in St. Lucia for all travel types. A mere glance out your cottage door will evoke both tranquillity and a journey into the land of adventure! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Expedia, TripOnline SA, HotelsClick, Ebookers, Evoline ltd and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Fond Doux Plantation & Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Fond Doux Holiday Plantation Hotel
- Fond Doux Plantation & Resort St. Lucia/Soufriere