“Simply Devine”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
St Lucia
“Simply Devine”
Reviewed 27 October 2008

I believe this place is the most memorable secluded destination on the island. Getting to Jade Mountain is a little strenous (my wife of two days got car sick). However, one we were there we were wrapped in thelaps of luxury. As a young couple we were shocked to think and even consider spending $800/night for a room, however; the view, the service and the food made it all worth it.

Needless to say we did not have to go out to the beach very often because we had a gigantic pool in our room.

I will say this everything you see in the pictures are what you experience when you are there.

We did yoga and danced the night away on various occasions.

I can only say this trip will be repeated for our 5 year anniversary.

Drawbacks:

Getting anywhere is expensive $60 dollars round trip. Use your credit card to pay for everything, you will get a better exchange rate. Cash is accepted but does not give you as much bang for your buck.

• Liked — Exclusive room accomodations and awesome dining
  • Disliked — Currency exchange should have been explained by travel sites.
  • Stayed July 2008
4 Thank SWD29

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
Raleigh, North Carolina
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Jade Mountain is a delight. The room was fantastic (Moon Category) - the open concept with the pool was unbelievable. We have gone there several times for 2 weeks at a time and could have stayed in the room for the entire visit and would have been completely satisfied. The in-room massages, meal service, and just how private everything was made for a great trip.

The only complaint was the menu and food quality was mediocre during the first trip, but now they have a new executive chef and things are much better.

The scuba center is great and the diving and snorkeling right off the beach is great!

This is definitely a hotel for fit people - there are loads of stairs to go to the beach or to go up to the restaurant. It definitely makes you plan your trips out of the room! It is not recommended for anyone with mobility issues.

Take the helicopter transport to and from the main airport - it is quick and you can see so much of the island and you avoid a long car journey on horrible roads.

I cannot wait to go back to Jade Mountain again - it is a very special kind of hotel.

• Liked — Privacy and solitude
  • Disliked — Stairs
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Grlygrrl
Florida
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I have stayed at many five star resorts throughout the United States, Mexico and Caribbean, but the view in this room literally took my breath away the second I walked in the door! I can honestly say I have never seen anything that comes remotely close to this. You can see the Pitons on the way to the resort and they are astounding to look at, but the view from the room seems to isolate them and make it appear as though you are the only one in the world who can see them in this context. I did not attach any pictures because like many of the reviews before me, they seem sub par. It is not just a picture perfect postcard view. It goes far beyond that. It touches upon all of your senses. It’s a connection to something surreal, serene albeit spiritual, hence the name sanctuary.
I had a hard time leaving my room! It had an extremely comfortable bed, a Jacuzzi tub, a private sundeck, and an infinity pool that seem to drift out into the beach below. At night the pool would light up with soft hues of blue, green and purple. You could still see the majestic Pitons in the starry sky. It was absolutely amazing every moment of the day.
It’s an experience I’ll never forget, and that was just the room!
One of the most important things that I must comment on is the Food. Jade is fairly remote, (did I mention you might not want to leave your room?) good food was a priority. I am a vegetarian and have come to expect only a few choices of salads or side dishes when I dine. This was not the case here. As mentioned in earlier reviews, they hired a new Chef to solve the prior food issues. Jonathan Dearden, the Executive Chef of Jade, believes in preparing food with only the freshest and finest ingredients, most of which are indigenous to the island. There is nothing frozen, canned, or outdated served here! Each meal was a new adventure in culinary delight. My companion enjoyed fresh fish, lamb, duck, and Kobe beef to name a few. I really liked that the dishes were not doused in sauces and gravy. The fresh seasonings and ingredients spoke for themselves. It was fun watching the other diners being served their various courses because they seemed to enjoy the food as much as we did. Most of our meals were ordered via room service and arrived exactly on time at perfect temperature. I strongly recommend the meal plan because if I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times…..you probably won’t leave your room ;)
One amenity for Jade guests is the Major Domo. Whoever thought of this idea was a genius! Your own Butler to assist you with anything you need, on call from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. Unlike other hotels where you have to call housekeeping for one thing, room service for another, and concierge… front desk…bellman ugh! It’s frustrating just thinking about it. At Jade, they’ve taken that problem out of the equation. Just call your Major Domo from the cell phone the resort provides you. I took mine everywhere  A special thanks to Vito, my major domo.
I had a once in a lifetime experience here. The people are so gracious, welcoming and friendly. The resort at Jade is very tranquil, private and serene, but if you want some excitement just venture down the mountain to the sister resort; Anse Chastanet. There is live entertainment at night, snorkeling, boating, mountain biking, a superb dive shop, and beach. There are also many fun excursions your Major Domo can arrange for you. I personally enjoyed my little slice of heaven in JA5!

• Liked — The missing fourthwall in the sanctuary and its' unobstructed views of the Pitons and the beach below
  • Disliked — leaving my room and I really miss the wonderful food
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
6 Thank marcopolo34109
North Carolina
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We stayed at Jade Mountain for a week. We were returning to the resort from the prior year when we spent our honeymoon there. The second time around, we loved the resort as much as the first time. The first time (June 2007) the resort was putting the finishing touches on the walkways and doing a few other things construction wise but this year it was all complete. There did a better job of controlling the mosquitoes this time around by spraying around the resort each day. Also new this year was the butler service, which was not bad in theory but we never used the services so I could take or leave it. I actually found that carrying the cell phone around was not ideal so we left it in our room most days. It certainly would come in handy if you forgot something and had to walk all the way back up to your room. The walk is about 5 minutes up and down to the beach. You need to be in moderately good shape to not consider taking the shuttle. The room service was great and the dining at the top of the resort which is for Jade Mountain guests only is recommended. We absolutely love the food and enjoyed the relaxing service. Some people complained about slow service but you are there to relax so we had no issues if it took an hour to enjoy your dining experience. Breakfast and dinners were our preferred meals to eat at the Jade resort. We tended to be down at the beach for lunch. Lunch on the beach is okay but it is much more casual and the food is very average at the beach club. All the resort excursions were convenient and fun. We did the sailing trip, scuba diving, jungle biking and the spa treatments each time we stayed. There were many more people at the resort this time around so I think the good reviews are helping spread the word. Also, the beach areas were filled with more people who were shuttled in via water taxi from other resorts. Staff is good and really tries to go above and beyond for guests. A few suggestions I would make would be to try to warm up the plunge pools slightly and to allow for wireless internet connections in the rooms. It was not ideal having to go to the front desk and wait for a free computer (there are only two).

• Liked — room views, food
  • Disliked — pool temp, mosquitoes
  • Stayed June 2008
4 Thank jaxncjax
Columbus.,OH
Reviewed 20 August 2008

My girlfriend and I spent an incredible 6 days at Jade Mountain. No matter how many photos you've looked at, they don't do the place justice. It is beyond description. We were in a Moon Suite--JD3--and it was spectacular. The hotel staff is great as well. They went above and beyond to make our stay memorable. And everybody we met on the beautiful island of St. Lucia was so friendly. We thought the food was good to great, depending on the restaurant and the particular selection. Be sure to do the zip-line tour--it was a blast. And take the helicopter to the hotel if you can. It makes for a very special arrival. We were there in mid-July. It was hot, but between the breeze, our pool and the ocean, we had no trouble staying cool. Had a few mosquitoes but no other bugs. Bottom line: Jade Mountain is pricey, but I've been to a lot of resorts and it is one of a kind. You've got to do this at least once. We're already planning our next trip.

• Liked — Unbelievable views and excellent sevice
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank swatmanOH
Decatur, Georgia
Reviewed 11 August 2008

We were originally reserved for three nights at Anse Chastanet (see AC review), but were able to negotiate an upgrade for our last two nights for about half the normal rate. Although I can't imagine paying full fare, I can definitely see how some people would based on how amzing this place is.

We stayed two nights in room JC5, which is the third level up in the closest unit to the mountainside. It is an unbelievably spectacular room! (Calling it a room doesn't even do it justice - the hotel calls each room a sanctuary, which is probably closer to the truth.) I would guess that our sanctuary was about 900-1,000 square feet with a 300-400 square foot blue-tiled infinity pool over looking the Pitons and Soufriere Bay. The room was so spectactular that we didn't want to leave our room for our 48 hours there (and we really didn't leave other than for meals!).

Each sanctuary is unique - they have different furniture, the layout is different, the pools have differen colored tiles, etc. We didn't see any of the other rooms, but I know that JC5 was amazing. The missing fourth wall allows for a great breeze that keeps it cool even during the heat of summer. We had some birds fly in the room, but they were not a problem at all.

As mentioned before, each room gets a little cell phone so that you can call your butler (I think they call themselves Major Domos) if you need something for your room or a ride down to the beach or Anse Chastanet. The butlers were gems. The hotel also stocks your fridge with a bottle of champagne, a couple beers, some fruit juice, and a few soft drinks.

We ate dinner one night at the Jade Mountain Club. We had a great meal and then spent some lounging time on top of the club where they have great lounge chairs with little torches and you can get a great view of the starry night sky.

I've posted some pictures, but the pictures really can't do justice to just how amazing this place is. It was very difficult to leave and we would definitely love to return again!

• Liked — Infinity pool, view, staff
  • Disliked — That we had to leave
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ckwill
London, UK
Reviewed 5 August 2008

We originally booked into Anse Chastenet for our honeymoon but were upgraded to one of the Sky Suites at Jade Mountain as they were full. It was a truly amazing experience, the room was far beyond our expectations, the service friendly and prompt (it probably helped that we managed to almost miss mealtimes most days so were often the only ones in the restaurant when we were eating, but no one seemed to mind).

We took the all-inclusive package for our short stay there, breakfasts were really good and really filling, and while some of the other food wasn't to our tastes I don't think it was the fault of the chef. Unfortunately, as we were only there a few days we didn't have time to enjoy the beaches and the rainforest properly, the hotel is quite isolated so not the best for getting out and exploring the island, but then that's not what you're going for is it?

It is also quite a steep walk to and from the beach, but there is a shuttle bus for the lazy/infirm and we didn't find it more than a 5-10 minute stroll.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank outonalimb2
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!