“Premier View of the Pitons”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 November 2008

WOW,
where to start this is the destination if you are a honeymooner,or fit. No lifts no TVs, phones just you and your partner and the infinity pool.
Best room is JD1 it has views on 2 sides the biggest pool and the biggest room size, there is 5 levels and the bottom level do not have pools and can be very hot most of the time.these are not rooms, they are all sanctuaries a bridge connects you to the mountain,lots of stairs and pools of carp fabulous gardens of tropical flowers .On the highest level is an open air lounge which if you book you can eat dinner up there,below is The Club for food and drink plus an extra pool.A really romantic place to have dinner the Chef is American and very good not up to Michelin standard but really close.Menu was very small 4 entrees but very good usually a good Kobe steak and Tuna sometime with caviar,mainly aimed at the American market. You all have a Major Domo on 21hr call on the top 4 levels plus security is always visible and a security button is next to the door.If you require it just call they are there to help you chill out.room service is best for Breakfast as Club service slow at breakfast and lunch best to use Beach at Anse Chastanet .If staying at Anse Chastenet you can snag an upgrade to Jade if rooms are available and if you are staying at Anse for more than 14 days.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ron c

Reviewed 4 November 2008

My fiancee and I were granted a gift of a honeymoon from her mom. She told me to "look around, see where you want to go, give me the price, and I'll let you know if it's ok." We were going to go to Spain, but with the exchange rate, it didn't seem worth it with all the places we wanted to see. So, we decided on a relaxing destination. I started looking up articles on the Carribean islands, since our wedding was going to be in Miami. We decided on St. Lucia, and Jade Mountain, and her mom agreed to the price (Thank You!!). As soon as we got to the hotel after a very informitive taxi ride, we were greeted with mint-water towels to wipe away the humidity and fruit juice with fresh sugar cane. That was just the begining to one of the best weeks of my life, and one of the most beautiful places I have ever been. Every detail was done just right, from the sanctuaries themselves, to the food at all three restaurants, to the helpful and always smiling staff, yoga, snorkling, excusion planning, car rental, etc. It was perfect. We couldn't have asked for a nicer, more relaxing, pampered gift to start our lives together. If you can go to Jade, please do yourself a favor...it is paradise.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sinart
Reviewed 4 November 2008

We stayed at Jade Mountain at the beginning of October (08), the rainy season, for our honeymoon. Other reviews seem to gush over this resort, however our experience was less than amazing.

Of course the natural beauty of the island is incomparable to anything I've ever seen. The views from the rooms are amazing and the resort itself is architecturally a work of art. We both agree that the weather played a very big role in our overall experience and had it not rained every day, it would have been a different trip. There is not much to do in the pouring rain.

We arrived at the airport thinking we had a helicopter booked and a gentleman took our bags as soon as we cleared customs. We thought great, we are on our way! Not so, he rolled the bags 20 feet outside and with open hand asked for a tip. Then a minivan finally came for us to start the 90 minute roller coaster ride. This journey should not be underestimated, even the strongest of stomachs will turn. Our driver stopped at a scenic lookout, where another gentleman proceeded to give us a history of the island and sell us "hand made" jewelry. By this time we already had a sour view of the locals. We were not sure if the hotel arranged this transport or if we had to pay and gave the driver $50 US Dollars (again realized later we were already paying $90 US each way). No one wants to feel like the naive tourist.

When we did finally arrive at the resort, we were greeted with cool mint towels and taken to our room. Unfortunately there was another communication error, as my new husband had asked for an upgrade before we left the states. We ended up spending the next 45 minutes negotiating to upgrade. They gave us the sun room closest to the main walkway. No privacy in this room, as the walkway and stairs to the spa abut this room. This room also seemed aged, with water stains on the floor, leaks in the ceiling and exposed wires. We ran into some strange issues with our doorbell ringing non-stop until maintenance fixed it, followed by our electrical fuse going out a few times and as mentioned water leaking from the ceiling. The staff did respond promptly, but for $1,100 night I did not want to deal with any issues.

Service at Jade Club was fantastic, as was the food. The new chef greeted guests several nights, a nice touch. The restaurants at Anse Chastanet were average. Good for a casual lunch or buffet breakfast. All staff were friendly and you can tell the resort takes pride in their service.

Since it rained 5 of the 6 days we were there, we did not go on many excursions (they were canceled). We did the jungle biking and that was a blast. Tyson is the funniest guide ever!

The stairs (like the car ride to and from) should not be underestimated. I liked the room, but did not want to be in it all day every day. The amount of climbing to get to Jade club, other restaurants or beach was insane. We are moderately fit people and after a couple days the stairs took their toll. They almost have to offer in room services! Finally, the amount of rain was such a damper. One day the entire room and resort was soaked (think windy rainy wide open room). The beach level was under water and only one restaurant was open. We could have ordered room service from Jade Club, but only learned that after hiking the stairs to find out the Club was closed (too wet). We actually never used the roof top lounge it was wet the whole time.

Overall, the resort has good service, friendly staff and beautiful views. For the adventure seeker, I would recommend this during non-rainy season. For the traveler who just want to relax and not work at all, this is not for you. Also, as others have said, get a meal plan and you cannot add all inclusive once there for some reason. It must be done before you arrive. We made the best of our stay at Jade, but as this is titled, thought the resort is overrated.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Staadust
Reviewed 27 October 2008

I believe this place is the most memorable secluded destination on the island. Getting to Jade Mountain is a little strenous (my wife of two days got car sick). However, one we were there we were wrapped in thelaps of luxury. As a young couple we were shocked to think and even consider spending $800/night for a room, however; the view, the service and the food made it all worth it.

Needless to say we did not have to go out to the beach very often because we had a gigantic pool in our room.

I will say this everything you see in the pictures are what you experience when you are there.

We did yoga and danced the night away on various occasions.

I can only say this trip will be repeated for our 5 year anniversary.

Drawbacks:

Getting anywhere is expensive $60 dollars round trip. Use your credit card to pay for everything, you will get a better exchange rate. Cash is accepted but does not give you as much bang for your buck.

• Stayed: July 2008
4  Thank SWD29
Reviewed 29 September 2008

Jade Mountain is a delight. The room was fantastic (Moon Category) - the open concept with the pool was unbelievable. We have gone there several times for 2 weeks at a time and could have stayed in the room for the entire visit and would have been completely satisfied. The in-room massages, meal service, and just how private everything was made for a great trip.

The only complaint was the menu and food quality was mediocre during the first trip, but now they have a new executive chef and things are much better.

The scuba center is great and the diving and snorkeling right off the beach is great!

This is definitely a hotel for fit people - there are loads of stairs to go to the beach or to go up to the restaurant. It definitely makes you plan your trips out of the room! It is not recommended for anyone with mobility issues.

Take the helicopter transport to and from the main airport - it is quick and you can see so much of the island and you avoid a long car journey on horrible roads.

I cannot wait to go back to Jade Mountain again - it is a very special kind of hotel.

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Grlygrrl
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I have stayed at many five star resorts throughout the United States, Mexico and Caribbean, but the view in this room literally took my breath away the second I walked in the door! I can honestly say I have never seen anything that comes remotely close to this. You can see the Pitons on the way to the resort and they are astounding to look at, but the view from the room seems to isolate them and make it appear as though you are the only one in the world who can see them in this context. I did not attach any pictures because like many of the reviews before me, they seem sub par. It is not just a picture perfect postcard view. It goes far beyond that. It touches upon all of your senses. It’s a connection to something surreal, serene albeit spiritual, hence the name sanctuary.
I had a hard time leaving my room! It had an extremely comfortable bed, a Jacuzzi tub, a private sundeck, and an infinity pool that seem to drift out into the beach below. At night the pool would light up with soft hues of blue, green and purple. You could still see the majestic Pitons in the starry sky. It was absolutely amazing every moment of the day.
It’s an experience I’ll never forget, and that was just the room!
One of the most important things that I must comment on is the Food. Jade is fairly remote, (did I mention you might not want to leave your room?) good food was a priority. I am a vegetarian and have come to expect only a few choices of salads or side dishes when I dine. This was not the case here. As mentioned in earlier reviews, they hired a new Chef to solve the prior food issues. Jonathan Dearden, the Executive Chef of Jade, believes in preparing food with only the freshest and finest ingredients, most of which are indigenous to the island. There is nothing frozen, canned, or outdated served here! Each meal was a new adventure in culinary delight. My companion enjoyed fresh fish, lamb, duck, and Kobe beef to name a few. I really liked that the dishes were not doused in sauces and gravy. The fresh seasonings and ingredients spoke for themselves. It was fun watching the other diners being served their various courses because they seemed to enjoy the food as much as we did. Most of our meals were ordered via room service and arrived exactly on time at perfect temperature. I strongly recommend the meal plan because if I’ve said it once, I’ve said it a thousand times…..you probably won’t leave your room ;)
One amenity for Jade guests is the Major Domo. Whoever thought of this idea was a genius! Your own Butler to assist you with anything you need, on call from 7 a.m. until 9 p.m. Unlike other hotels where you have to call housekeeping for one thing, room service for another, and concierge… front desk…bellman ugh! It’s frustrating just thinking about it. At Jade, they’ve taken that problem out of the equation. Just call your Major Domo from the cell phone the resort provides you. I took mine everywhere  A special thanks to Vito, my major domo.
I had a once in a lifetime experience here. The people are so gracious, welcoming and friendly. The resort at Jade is very tranquil, private and serene, but if you want some excitement just venture down the mountain to the sister resort; Anse Chastanet. There is live entertainment at night, snorkeling, boating, mountain biking, a superb dive shop, and beach. There are also many fun excursions your Major Domo can arrange for you. I personally enjoyed my little slice of heaven in JA5!

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple
6  Thank marcopolo34109
Reviewed 21 August 2008

We stayed at Jade Mountain for a week. We were returning to the resort from the prior year when we spent our honeymoon there. The second time around, we loved the resort as much as the first time. The first time (June 2007) the resort was putting the finishing touches on the walkways and doing a few other things construction wise but this year it was all complete. There did a better job of controlling the mosquitoes this time around by spraying around the resort each day. Also new this year was the butler service, which was not bad in theory but we never used the services so I could take or leave it. I actually found that carrying the cell phone around was not ideal so we left it in our room most days. It certainly would come in handy if you forgot something and had to walk all the way back up to your room. The walk is about 5 minutes up and down to the beach. You need to be in moderately good shape to not consider taking the shuttle. The room service was great and the dining at the top of the resort which is for Jade Mountain guests only is recommended. We absolutely love the food and enjoyed the relaxing service. Some people complained about slow service but you are there to relax so we had no issues if it took an hour to enjoy your dining experience. Breakfast and dinners were our preferred meals to eat at the Jade resort. We tended to be down at the beach for lunch. Lunch on the beach is okay but it is much more casual and the food is very average at the beach club. All the resort excursions were convenient and fun. We did the sailing trip, scuba diving, jungle biking and the spa treatments each time we stayed. There were many more people at the resort this time around so I think the good reviews are helping spread the word. Also, the beach areas were filled with more people who were shuttled in via water taxi from other resorts. Staff is good and really tries to go above and beyond for guests. A few suggestions I would make would be to try to warm up the plunge pools slightly and to allow for wireless internet connections in the rooms. It was not ideal having to go to the front desk and wait for a free computer (there are only two).

• Stayed: June 2008
4  Thank jaxncjax
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Stonefield Villa Resort
Stonefield Villa Resort
#7 of 11 in Soufriere

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!