“Joyous and marvelous Jade Mountain”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Sebastopol, California
“Joyous and marvelous Jade Mountain”
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Contiguous with the highly regarded Anse Chastanet, Jade Mountain is a step up in many respects, not the least of which is literal. Perched on a hillside it commands a stunning view of St. Lucia’s emblematic Gros and Petit Piton. Sanctuaries—don’t call them rooms—are open on the view side; many have private infinity pools that cascade soothingly most of the day. Frankly, no review can do justice to the architecture and setting of Jade Mountain; it is sublime, transcending any single sense. Romantic, soothing, peaceful, centering: there is a sense of place that evokes the spiritual.

In the sanctuaries, the pools, finished with gorgeous specially fabricated glass tiles, can be lit the color of your choice or with a rotating color wheel. Imagine a warm evening under a star-filled sky with just a hint of indigo lighting your sanctuary, the large, comfortable bed draped in soft netting with its own quiet fan slowly turning. In our sanctuary, the shower, whirlpool bath (with its own chromatherapy wheel), twin pedestal sinks and toilet were perched the rest of the room, comprising a dressing area near the entry, dining area, bed, and indoor and outdoor sitting areas, including chaise lounges for private sunning.

“Major Domos” are in theory at your service to handle anything you wish. While the concept is wonderful, we found the execution somewhat lacking, though certainly not in character: each of the Major Domos with whom we interacted was pleasant and responsive, even if we usually had to call twice for any request.

Dining choices include everything Anse Chastanet has to offer, the Jade Mountain Club with a promising young chef, and in-room (or in-sanctuary) dining. It is conceivable to take all of one’s meals without leaving the sanctuary, and it is possible to order in advance for a specific delivery time. We found that the promised 30 minute response time was seldom fulfilled; still, the menu selections are sufficiently broad and the comfort factor high.

All Anse Chastanet dining options are available to Jade Mountain guests. We had a wonderful meal as the St. Lucian-Indian fusion restaurant Aspara on the beach; we found the buffet at the Treehouse the most efficient way to breakfast before a day of diving (or other activities).

The chef at the Jade Mountain Club focuses on locally grown, organic produce from Anse Chastanet’s own gardens or the market in nearby Soufriere. It is a delight on a tropical holiday to savor myriad vegetables and fruits, artfully prepared and allowed to speak for themselves. Although the ambitious chef is young, his dedication to advancing Caribbean cuisine is unmistakable and adds another dimension to Jade Mountain. Most frequently, we took our dinners at Jade Mountain: not a single dish was disappointing, though some were not fully realized.

Recreational choices abound, both on the properties and with conveniently arranged excursions. SCUBA dive sites are within a maximum of about 20 minutes boat ride, though in 5 days we seldom had more than a 5-10 minute boat ride., though it is worth mentioning that some of the best are in the Marine Park at Anse Chastanet. Perhaps because of the honeymoon and first timer clientele, we found the dive operator quite conservative (this is a compliment: safety is the first priority!); for example they required that anyone taking any medication be cleared by a physician with dive medicine training. The set-up could not have been easier for a land-based dive trip: the crew will manage, move set-up and clean your gear if you wish. Diving itself was pleasant with a 78 F/26 C ocean temperature, great vis (100+ ft), beautiful sponges, turtles, reef fish, and an occasional rare treat such as a seahorse or cuttlefish.

In addition to diving, there are 12 miles of mountain biking trails at Anse Mamin, a short boat ride from the SCUBA center; a reasonably well equipped fitness at Jade Mountain; tennis courts at Anse Chastanet; windsurfers, ocean kayaks and sunfish sailing boats at the beach; and of course swimming and snorkeling in the Marine Park.

Not to be missed are the yoga sessions offered at 7:00 am on the Celestial Terrace except for Saturdays. The teacher simultaneously manages guests at every level, making everyone feel welcome and inspiring a sense of community at Jade Mountain and more globally.

In fact, one of the greatest pleasures of Jade Mountain was the friendliness of all the staff members we encountered, from gardener to cook to manager to housekeeper. Jade Mounain is a wonderful place and seems to hire accordingly.

A few caveats. First, neither Jade Mountain nor Anse Chastanet is appropriate for those who are not fully mobile. The stairs from the beach to the treehouse number 129 and there are a further 188 to the base of Jade Mountain. Stairs from the base to the Celestial Terrace are nearly impossible to count given the stunning architecture. Second, the sanctuaries are open air (though totally private): those who need four walls or air conditioning might feel uncomfortable (though we found the ceiling fans and sea breeze kept the room sufficiently cool). Third, service at the restaurants can be slow by American standards, with most lunches and dinners running 2-3 hours (though you can request them to move through courses quickly and be done in 90 minutes).

Overall, Jade Mountain is among those few destinations you will never forget. Newlyweds or other celebrants will do well by choosing it to create treasured memories of a special place and time.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
6 Thank Renierk

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Ridgeland, MS
Reviewed 7 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at Jade Mountain for our honeymoon in 2007. We stayed in a star sanctuary. The rooms were absolutely beautiful. I almost cried when I walked in I was so blown away!

We loved how beautiful the rooms were, how beautiful the location was and how relaxing the resort was. The infinity pool in the room is amazing! It was great having no electronic equipment so we could really focus on each other. Also, the staff was excellent. Very friendly and not intrusive at all and attentive to our needs. The beach was also beautiful and we loved the thatched roof huts for escaping from the sun with a flag you put in the sand for prompt service. Snorkeling right off the beach is also excellent, lots to see without having to go far.

The Sanctuary at Jade Mountain is also at the top of the mountain, so you're located above the people staying in Anse Chastanet. While the view may be better, this also means a pretty big hike up and down several times a day. You can call shuttle service if you need it but we never did. We felt like it kept us from gaining weight on our vacation, at least, but sometimes it was pretty tiresome. Our sanctuary was also located on one of the lower levels, so there was a maze of stairs to go up and down which also got a little old. It was about 5 flights of steps from our room to the restaurant above.

What we did not like: we had a pretty severe mosquito problem. We ended up buying mosquito repellant from the commissary at the top of the mountain. It was mandatory just to tolerate sitting in our room outside of the mosquito net. Maybe this was a problem because we were in a lower sanctuary. We compared notes with some other people staying in a higher sanctuary and they said they hadn't seen any mosquitoes. One night when we went to dinner we left the lights on and our room looked like the scene from Indiana Jones where the girl sticks her hand in the hole and it comes out covered in giant bugs. Horrific! We had to turn out the lights and go walk around for a while. Some of them went away, but not all and definitely not nearly enough for my liking. I shudder just thinking about it. So don't leave your lights on if you leave your room. But our main concern was the food. The food at Jade Mountain was absolutely horrible. Mediocre at best. We were really disappointed. Some of it was pretty inedible, including the food at the Treehouse. We felt like the food at the restaurant down on the beach at Anse Chastanet was much better, including the Indian themed restaurant, which had the best food of all. The service and atmosphere at all the restaurants was excellent, just not the food. The menus were also very limited and didn't change from night to night.

The rooms are very open, which is great, but there is absolutely nothing separating the toilet from the rest of the room. This was an issue for me since I usually like the use the bathroom in private. We were on our honeymoon and although we are married I still don't want my husband to know all of my "secrets." Ha! Maybe if we go back in 20 years I won't care, but for now I'd like to at least have something between him and me when I'm doing my business. I was not prepared for that at all.

One other issue: the resort wasn't completed fully when we were there. The owner was working on some glass sculptures to go around the Jade Mountain area but in the mean time there were several unfinished and uncovered prongs of rebar sticking up everywhere. Pretty unsightly. There was also some other construction going on. Maybe it's been completed by now, but as of last summer (2008) I was looking at some recent photos of the resort and the artwork still wasn't done. So all in all I think it was a little too pricey for what we got. If the food was a lot better and the resort was finished completely (art and all) then for me it would be much more worth the price.

• Liked — Beautiful, private, amazing infinity pool in room
  • Disliked — Horrible food
  • Stayed June 2007, travelled as a couple
10 Thank ms_momma_08
Newport Beach, CA
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Absolutely the most amazing and romantic resort you will ever visit. Others have described it very well and I'm a bit jet-lagged at the moment, but you will not be disappointed. Overwhelmed with the beauty and service and architecture and... they have thought of everything.

Loved Treetops Restuarant and Jonathan, masseur, at the Jade Mountain Spa was wonderful.

• Liked — Absolutely Everything
  • Disliked — Can't think of a thing
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled with friends
4 Thank torta_basilica
South Carolina
Reviewed 1 February 2009

For my BIG birthday, one of those that end in zero, my wife and I had to go somewhere special. I had first heard of Anse Chastanet in St. Lucia many years ago, and had even seen it from the deck of a cruise ship back in 1995. It seemed to be just the place for some rest and relaxation, somewhere to get away from it all. This is a wonderful village of unique and eclectic rooms built up the side of a mountain facing the beach, and overlooking the Piton, the twin peaks of southwest St. Lucia.

In doing my due diligence prior to booking, I discovered that Nick Troubetzkoy, the visionary architect behind Anse Chastanet, had just opened a sister resort above the first, called Jade Mountain. It seemed to be a magical and wonderful place from the description and the reviews (something like 99% positive on TripAdvisor.com, an unheard of validation in this industry.) Figuring that due to the economy and the coming changes in medicine, this would be our last blow-out for a while, we decided to splurge for that big birthday and went for the Jade.

You can read many reviews and descriptions on line, and I won’t bore you with my feeble attempts at describing paradise, but suffice it to say, that’s exactly what we found here: Paradise. The rooms (appropriately titled “sanctuaries”) at Jade Mountain have one completely open wall, and most have infinity pools, which overlook the Piton.

From the Anse Chastanet beach, you can see the Jade Mountain complex at the top of the hill. There is a restaurant and bar at the very top, with several levels of sanctuaries below. Each sanctuary is completely private, and you can’t see into your neighbor’s. However, because of the generally open design, you can hear them if they make too much noise. This hasn’t been a problem, as the ambient sounds of birds, frogs, and the rush of water through the adjacent fountains covers everything with a soothing backdrop.

A view from the other side, the entry to the Sanctuaries, reveals a spidery network of bridges, each room having its own private walkway. “Sanctuary” as I noted above, is the proper term for the rooms. There is an spiritual air about this place that reminds me of nothing so much as a Buddhist Temple, not that I’ve ever seen one, and the network of bridges brings to mind Hogwarts Castle of Harry Potter fame.

There is open steel rebar coming out of the pillars, apparently a deliberate design touch, looking somewhat like a flare, some decorated with glass sculptures, giving Jade Mountain somewhat of an unfinished look. We have heard that there are plans for expansion, which would build upon these unfinished columns.

My description and these photos do not begin to do the place any level of justice.

A note about our Sanctuary. We had booked a Star, and were placed in JB6, which we discovered at the end of our stay was actually a Sun Sanctuary. We did ask to see some other rooms, and we were shown another Sun and a Star. While all rooms are different, the feeling is similar, and the Star seemed only moderately smaller than our Sun. All the rooms have similar views of the Piton. I don't think there is a bad room or a bad view among them.

We did a few of the touristy things, visiting the volcanic park and viewing the sulfur springs and such in nearby Soufriere, as well as the botanical gardens and Diamond Falls, and on Friday, we took a quick boat ride to the weekly "Fish Fry" at Anse La Raye, which was well worth the effort.

St. Lucia has a long history of occupation and colonialism, having been traded back and forth (more accurately captured) between the French and British fourteen times. Marie Antoinette was actually born here, and not on nearby Martinique, or so they say. Sugar plantations formed the major industry for many years, eventually replaced by fruit exportation, and now tourism. We had a fascinating little journey into St. Lucia’s past on a walk through the rainforest and the ruins of a sugar plantation on the resort property. Meno, our guide, was the descendant of the slaves that worked the plantation, and lives today in a one room house in which his grandmother raised him. While touring the remains of the boiler-room in which the cane was rendered down to molasses, and in which many slaves endured a horrible existence, Meno said something quite profound in his heavily-patois-accented English: “It does no good to ignore history, to ignore what happened here. We must remember it and deal with it, and then go on with our lives.” I couldn’t have said it better.

I’ll leave you with one word that sums up Jade Mountain: Paradise. Trust me on this. Save your pennies and come spend some time here. This is one of the most relaxing, restful, spiritual, and romantic places on Earth. I have never, ever, seen anything like it.

• Liked — Sheer Paradise! Romantic, spiritual getaway
  • Disliked — We had to come home!
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank nucleon
USA
Reviewed 22 January 2009

its a very nice hotel specially when you look from the point of the way its being built.its very unique and beautifull..very nice beach, staff is also very hepfull but when we look at the point of view of service, its not worth it. its very slow.major domos are very slow..needs to be more trained.
food was average at jade mountain. again the service was very slow especially at dinner.it takes a long time for the food to be delivered especially when we look at the price we are paying.
in comparison the food was much better at anse chastanet.tree house menues changes everyday and is far better then jade mountain where menu doesnt change too often.Apsara was excellent as the chefs gives the brief introductaion and showed us how the food is cooked.that was great.
beach service is also nice, nice anse mamin beach but outside guests needs to be avoided i guess.
overall its good but standrads need to be improved at jade

Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
4 Thank steve_dean28
florida
Reviewed 21 January 2009

From the minute we arrived at the airport until the minute we left there was not one minute of disappointment. We did not think the ride by car to the airport was so terrible, I was worried about that after reading other reviews. Yes it is a little bumpy for the final 20 minutes up to the hotel road (not paved well) but our driver (sent by the hotel) drove very well and he was very informative about the island, and even stopped along the way for us to take pictures. Upon arrival, we were greeted at the car with a special drink, a cool towel, and we felt so welcomed. We were taken directly to our room (no check-in required at that time). Our room JB3, was magnificient. Honestly, we never wanted to leave our room. The view by day of the Pitons was breathtaking. The pool was very nice to look at, however, it was too cold to get into. We were celebrating our 25th anniversary, and had a special dinner in our room which was one of the most romatic evenings of our life! The staff made sure everything was perfect for us, from the candles, flowers, service, ect. Service could not have been better. The hotel was expensive, but worth every penny!!!!!!

• Liked — everything
  • Stayed January 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Rubinmd
Southlake, Texas
Reviewed 18 January 2009

My husband and I stayed at Jade Mountain in January 2007. We arrived late into Hewanorra Airport. We must have been the last people to arrive that day because the airport was empty. Needless to say, going through customs was non-existent. We boarded a mini-bus that was waiting for us for Anse Chastanet - Jade Mountain.

When we made our reservation we decided to stay in a Sun room. There are "Star", "Moon", "Sun", and "Sky" sanctuaries (that's what they call the rooms) to choose from. Each one is decorated differently and offers real outdoor luxury. No phone, no television. Internet at the lobby.

The trip from the airport was tedious due to the curvy and rustic roads. If you arrive late at night, you will swear you are being taken into the jungle an dropped off. After passing through a well guarded gate, we finally made it to Jade Mountain.

We were escorted to our room after check-in. We walked to the fifth level of the resort. We proceeded down a long suspended concrete bridge to the room. When the door opened we were blown away. Even at night we could see the beauty of the furnishings, exotic flooring and glass tiles. And just as promised there was an infinity pool right in the room.

Our luggage arrived and we settled in. The thing you must get used to first is that there are only three sides to the room. The fourth side is open to the elements. Incredible open-air concept! We did have a mosquito net over the bed to protect us at night. We had 9 ceiling fans above us rotating at all times to circulate the tropical breeze. There are also louvers on the windows on the opposite side of the room to let air flow. And don't worry about privacy. And you are up so high that no one will ever know you're there. We never knew another soul was around while in our room. The bathroom is out of this world...includes open shower and tub with chromotherapy. The infinity pool also has colored lighting for night....very romantic.

We woke the next morning to the most beautiful site. The Pitons were right there in front of us....WOW!

We enjoyed the entire week. Ate at both Piti Piton and Treehouse Restaurant (very delicious food) and ordered room service often because we just didn't want to leave our "sanctuary". You hang a little pouch on the door with your order and service people come by about every 15 minutes to check.

We frequented Club Jade Mountain on the next to top level in the evenings to enjoy a glass of wine or a snack. The very top level is an excellent place to enjoy the sunset. Lots of comfy outdoor furniture to sit on and just enjoy life. There is also a hole cut into the center of the top level so you can peer down to the community infinity pool inside Club Jade Mountain....sounds amazing, doesn't it...it is!

There are shuttles that run from Jade Mountain down to the beach and back because it is somewhat of a trek. Great beachside dining at Trou au Diable. Awesome!! Water taxis will take you to Castries for shopping and siteseeing.

You have the option of taking a helicopter from the resort back to the airport....great way to see some secluded parts of the island. The resort has a landing area onsite.

We plan to return soon because when we were there the fountains were not yet finished, but we could tell that upon completion the entire place was going to be breathtaking.

• Liked — Privacy and seclusion
  • Disliked — Difficult to get to, but worth it
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank SkysMomLR
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!