“THE BEST OF THE BEST - UNBELIEVABLY FABULOUS!”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 4 April 2009

I've just today returned from a wonderful 10 day trip to Jade Mountain with my husband. It was the most outstanding holiday I've ever had - so much so that I felt compelled to register with Tripadvisor to leave my first review!
We've been fortunate enough to stay in some really fabulous and luxurious hotels over the last few years but Jade Mountain was far and away the best. We stayed in a stunning Moon sanctuary (JD3), with infinity pool, big enough to swim lengths, looking over the Pitons. Stylish, beautifully designed, fabulous food, fabulous spa treatments, small but well-equipped gym with amazing view and AC, and OUTSTANDING staff. My husband and I both have adventurous jobs (wildlife filmmakers) and definitely find it hard to switch off and do nothing, so had chosen a return visit to Jade (having visited shortly after it opened 2 years ago) as there's lots to do in the area - great hikes, mountain biking, diving etc. However, we literally did not leave the hotel for the 11 days/10 nights we were there as it was so relaxing! Our room came with our own Major Domos (Ajay and Filliner) who were as lovely as they were efficient. The architecture of Jade Mountain is stunning in itself (Take a look at their website www.jademountain.com) and was designed by the owner Nick Troubetzkoy, with amazing attention to detail. The staff - from the gardeners, security staff, spa therapists, office staff and restaurant staff - are just fantastic. Unbelievably helpful without being obsequious. They genuinely seem to enjoy working there and are great characters. On our last night we returned to our room to find an amazing peacock design on our bed made from flowers, and a hot bubble bath with candles lit around the room. What a nice surprise!
My husband went diving at the Scuba Centre on the beach at Anse Chastanet (i did too, two years ago but had a sinus infection this time). As last time, he found the staff there to be safely conscious, friendly and helpful.
Food in the restaurant is delicious and appealing. A good variety of dishes, making good use of the organic produce grown on site, and healthy too.
Jade Mountain is certainly not cheap but, in my opinion, it's worth every penny for a super luxurious, romantic, relaxing, stylish and unique hotel. We'll remember this holiday for the rest of our lives and will definitely be returning as soon as possible.

7  Thank SusieQBristol
There are newer reviews for Jade Mountain Resort

Reviewed 30 March 2009

If you've read other Tripadvisor reviews of Jade Mountain, as I did, you'll have very high expectations for your Jade Mountain visit. You will not be disappointed. The facility is as amazing as it sounds, the rooms are wonderful and the service is excellent.

We spent one week at the resort, complements of Redbook Magazine, and were completely blown away by the beauty of the surroundings, the fabulous amenities, great food and absolutely immecable attention to detail.

From the moment of arrival following that famously bumpy two-mile drive, to our departure, we were treated like VIPs. Vito, our majordomo for the week, was the best of the best, with an attention to detail and service like no one we have met in any other location. In fact everyone on the entire Anse Chastanet and Jade Mountain site was hospitable, warm and welcoming.

Before arriving at Jade, we were concerned that our open-air room would be too warm without air conditioning during the day and would get too cool at night. That was simply not the case at all. The six ceiling fans allowed us to make sure the room was at the optimal comfort level at all times.

The food at all four restaurants was excellent and presentation was exquisite. Room service was also great. We enjoyed breakfast in our room every morning but one, took lunch on the beach and in the Beach House restaurant, and we thoroughly enjoyed each and every meal.

We found that we woke early every morning with the sun and birds and were ready for sleep soon after dinner. We enjoyed music in the lounge and the restaurant. If you like lots of wild nightlife, this is not the place for you (we don't--we loved Jade).

Other highlights:
I was a total yoga novice, but the instructor Kristin was very welcoming and made the experience fun and not overwhelming.
The Tuesday cooking demonstration with Chef Dearden was very informative and interesting. Sherma is now my favorite pastry chef in the world!
The spa is excellent! I loved my massage, pedicure, manicure and facial. Stella and Soraya are excellent!

My advice for anyone traveling to Jade Mountain? Enjoy the experience, take advantage of the chance to be chauferred to and from the beach and make sure that you soak in all of the pampering.

4  Thank Bee_and_El
Reviewed 27 March 2009

While there are many beautiful resorts and hotels in the world, what makes Jade Mountain unique is the wonderful staff. From the minute you arrive at the resort you are greeted with a smile, everyone asks how your day is going and tries to make every aspect of your trip perfect. We started at Anse Chastanet, but managed to get a quick tour of Jade Mountain the next day and decided right then we had to move up. Even though the reservations person had left for the day the Jade Mountain hotel manager stayed behind at work for 2 extra hours attempting to make our hopes of moving to Jade Mountain true. We got word later on the second night we would be able to move the next day, but we had planned excursions all day long. As soon as we returned from our second excursion on the 3rd a hotel staff member awaited us on the beach to help escort us to Jade Mountain. Also, prior to our trip I was sick and I retained a nagging cough, which would have interupted a long awaited opportunity to scuba dive. The resort called a doctor and scheduled around our activities for the day. The doctor came out, checked on me and provided medications. Unfortunately my congestion did not relieve in time to go scuba diving, but the resort did their best to help me realize my dreams. The snorkeling is amazing and I highly recommend the half day sailing tour, that is if you can tear yourself away from the amazing rooms! It was hard every day to leave our room, where one wall was completely missing, allowing in cool breezy air from the sea and the perfectly placed infinity pool, that really appeared to fall off into the water! This destination is amazing and one should not miss the opportunity to stay at Anse Chatanet/Jade Mountain. I would like to conclude that while at some resort treatment gets better as one spends more money, this is not one of those places. We were treated so well when we were staying in the cheaper accommodations and that amazing service continued in our move up to Jade Mountain!

2  Thank Kvashi1
Reviewed 13 March 2009

At over $2,000 a night for a Sun sanctuary, Jade Mountain is clearly positioned at the top end of the luxury resorts. From that standpoint, the resort was clearly not up to par with similarly priced Caribbean resorts such as Aman Resort or Four Seasons or Parrot Cay.
Negatives include:
Arrival. Unlike Turks or the Bahamas, the airport is clearly not configured for the volume of traffic. Our flight landed at the same time as two others and it took us over an hour to clear customs. There was no-one at the Jade desk, lost in the middle of the crowded arrival hall. We took the helicopter transfer which I would recommend since it takes over an hour drive through small windy roads to reach the resort.
The Sun rooms are advertised on the site as located on the top level with over 2000s.f. in size and infinity pools of up to 900 s.f. We were shown to a room which was 4 levels down from the top (JB1) which was clearly less than half the advertised size as was the pool. After complaining, we were moved the next day two levels up to JC1 which was much larger with a nicer view but clearly nowhere close to 2000 s.f.
Given the price charged for the top of the range rooms, I found it amazing that room size, pool and views can vary so drastically from one to the other. My advice is therefore to insist of sanctuary E & D which are on the top floors.
The absence of phone is also inpractical. We were given a small hotel phone to reach the buttler but it didn't work... It took them 2 days to replace.
The other problem with not being able to call room service or the spa directly is that they ended up delivering at least one item incorrectly. The buttler was more of a hindrance from that standpoint since it took several calls back and forth for what normally should take one.
Staff are very friendly but clearly not trained for a 5 star level of service (writing orders down incorrectly, slow service,...)
We booked a private boat trip. We ended up waiting 40mn by the jetty for the boat.
Scuba was also very disapointing. Despite being a qualified diver (PADI). They insisted on taking us from the beach for a pointless 30mn dive around the cliff .
The view from the sanctuary was clearly amazing. Not sure though about the open plan bathroom. Also, the pool could not be heated so quite chilly in the morning and the evening.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled as a couple
11  Thank JCN_9
Reviewed 22 February 2009

Contiguous with the highly regarded Anse Chastanet, Jade Mountain is a step up in many respects, not the least of which is literal. Perched on a hillside it commands a stunning view of St. Lucia’s emblematic Gros and Petit Piton. Sanctuaries—don’t call them rooms—are open on the view side; many have private infinity pools that cascade soothingly most of the day. Frankly, no review can do justice to the architecture and setting of Jade Mountain; it is sublime, transcending any single sense. Romantic, soothing, peaceful, centering: there is a sense of place that evokes the spiritual.

In the sanctuaries, the pools, finished with gorgeous specially fabricated glass tiles, can be lit the color of your choice or with a rotating color wheel. Imagine a warm evening under a star-filled sky with just a hint of indigo lighting your sanctuary, the large, comfortable bed draped in soft netting with its own quiet fan slowly turning. In our sanctuary, the shower, whirlpool bath (with its own chromatherapy wheel), twin pedestal sinks and toilet were perched the rest of the room, comprising a dressing area near the entry, dining area, bed, and indoor and outdoor sitting areas, including chaise lounges for private sunning.

“Major Domos” are in theory at your service to handle anything you wish. While the concept is wonderful, we found the execution somewhat lacking, though certainly not in character: each of the Major Domos with whom we interacted was pleasant and responsive, even if we usually had to call twice for any request.

Dining choices include everything Anse Chastanet has to offer, the Jade Mountain Club with a promising young chef, and in-room (or in-sanctuary) dining. It is conceivable to take all of one’s meals without leaving the sanctuary, and it is possible to order in advance for a specific delivery time. We found that the promised 30 minute response time was seldom fulfilled; still, the menu selections are sufficiently broad and the comfort factor high.

All Anse Chastanet dining options are available to Jade Mountain guests. We had a wonderful meal as the St. Lucian-Indian fusion restaurant Aspara on the beach; we found the buffet at the Treehouse the most efficient way to breakfast before a day of diving (or other activities).

The chef at the Jade Mountain Club focuses on locally grown, organic produce from Anse Chastanet’s own gardens or the market in nearby Soufriere. It is a delight on a tropical holiday to savor myriad vegetables and fruits, artfully prepared and allowed to speak for themselves. Although the ambitious chef is young, his dedication to advancing Caribbean cuisine is unmistakable and adds another dimension to Jade Mountain. Most frequently, we took our dinners at Jade Mountain: not a single dish was disappointing, though some were not fully realized.

Recreational choices abound, both on the properties and with conveniently arranged excursions. SCUBA dive sites are within a maximum of about 20 minutes boat ride, though in 5 days we seldom had more than a 5-10 minute boat ride., though it is worth mentioning that some of the best are in the Marine Park at Anse Chastanet. Perhaps because of the honeymoon and first timer clientele, we found the dive operator quite conservative (this is a compliment: safety is the first priority!); for example they required that anyone taking any medication be cleared by a physician with dive medicine training. The set-up could not have been easier for a land-based dive trip: the crew will manage, move set-up and clean your gear if you wish. Diving itself was pleasant with a 78 F/26 C ocean temperature, great vis (100+ ft), beautiful sponges, turtles, reef fish, and an occasional rare treat such as a seahorse or cuttlefish.

In addition to diving, there are 12 miles of mountain biking trails at Anse Mamin, a short boat ride from the SCUBA center; a reasonably well equipped fitness at Jade Mountain; tennis courts at Anse Chastanet; windsurfers, ocean kayaks and sunfish sailing boats at the beach; and of course swimming and snorkeling in the Marine Park.

Not to be missed are the yoga sessions offered at 7:00 am on the Celestial Terrace except for Saturdays. The teacher simultaneously manages guests at every level, making everyone feel welcome and inspiring a sense of community at Jade Mountain and more globally.

In fact, one of the greatest pleasures of Jade Mountain was the friendliness of all the staff members we encountered, from gardener to cook to manager to housekeeper. Jade Mounain is a wonderful place and seems to hire accordingly.

A few caveats. First, neither Jade Mountain nor Anse Chastanet is appropriate for those who are not fully mobile. The stairs from the beach to the treehouse number 129 and there are a further 188 to the base of Jade Mountain. Stairs from the base to the Celestial Terrace are nearly impossible to count given the stunning architecture. Second, the sanctuaries are open air (though totally private): those who need four walls or air conditioning might feel uncomfortable (though we found the ceiling fans and sea breeze kept the room sufficiently cool). Third, service at the restaurants can be slow by American standards, with most lunches and dinners running 2-3 hours (though you can request them to move through courses quickly and be done in 90 minutes).

Overall, Jade Mountain is among those few destinations you will never forget. Newlyweds or other celebrants will do well by choosing it to create treasured memories of a special place and time.

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Renierk
Reviewed 7 February 2009

My husband and I stayed at Jade Mountain for our honeymoon in 2007. We stayed in a star sanctuary. The rooms were absolutely beautiful. I almost cried when I walked in I was so blown away!

We loved how beautiful the rooms were, how beautiful the location was and how relaxing the resort was. The infinity pool in the room is amazing! It was great having no electronic equipment so we could really focus on each other. Also, the staff was excellent. Very friendly and not intrusive at all and attentive to our needs. The beach was also beautiful and we loved the thatched roof huts for escaping from the sun with a flag you put in the sand for prompt service. Snorkeling right off the beach is also excellent, lots to see without having to go far.

The Sanctuary at Jade Mountain is also at the top of the mountain, so you're located above the people staying in Anse Chastanet. While the view may be better, this also means a pretty big hike up and down several times a day. You can call shuttle service if you need it but we never did. We felt like it kept us from gaining weight on our vacation, at least, but sometimes it was pretty tiresome. Our sanctuary was also located on one of the lower levels, so there was a maze of stairs to go up and down which also got a little old. It was about 5 flights of steps from our room to the restaurant above.

What we did not like: we had a pretty severe mosquito problem. We ended up buying mosquito repellant from the commissary at the top of the mountain. It was mandatory just to tolerate sitting in our room outside of the mosquito net. Maybe this was a problem because we were in a lower sanctuary. We compared notes with some other people staying in a higher sanctuary and they said they hadn't seen any mosquitoes. One night when we went to dinner we left the lights on and our room looked like the scene from Indiana Jones where the girl sticks her hand in the hole and it comes out covered in giant bugs. Horrific! We had to turn out the lights and go walk around for a while. Some of them went away, but not all and definitely not nearly enough for my liking. I shudder just thinking about it. So don't leave your lights on if you leave your room. But our main concern was the food. The food at Jade Mountain was absolutely horrible. Mediocre at best. We were really disappointed. Some of it was pretty inedible, including the food at the Treehouse. We felt like the food at the restaurant down on the beach at Anse Chastanet was much better, including the Indian themed restaurant, which had the best food of all. The service and atmosphere at all the restaurants was excellent, just not the food. The menus were also very limited and didn't change from night to night.

The rooms are very open, which is great, but there is absolutely nothing separating the toilet from the rest of the room. This was an issue for me since I usually like the use the bathroom in private. We were on our honeymoon and although we are married I still don't want my husband to know all of my "secrets." Ha! Maybe if we go back in 20 years I won't care, but for now I'd like to at least have something between him and me when I'm doing my business. I was not prepared for that at all.

One other issue: the resort wasn't completed fully when we were there. The owner was working on some glass sculptures to go around the Jade Mountain area but in the mean time there were several unfinished and uncovered prongs of rebar sticking up everywhere. Pretty unsightly. There was also some other construction going on. Maybe it's been completed by now, but as of last summer (2008) I was looking at some recent photos of the resort and the artwork still wasn't done. So all in all I think it was a little too pricey for what we got. If the food was a lot better and the resort was finished completely (art and all) then for me it would be much more worth the price.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
10  Thank ms_momma_08
Reviewed 5 February 2009

Absolutely the most amazing and romantic resort you will ever visit. Others have described it very well and I'm a bit jet-lagged at the moment, but you will not be disappointed. Overwhelmed with the beauty and service and architecture and... they have thought of everything.

Loved Treetops Restuarant and Jonathan, masseur, at the Jade Mountain Spa was wonderful.

• Stayed: January 2009, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank torta_basilica
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!