“Most unforgetable and amazing place - absolutely no complaints”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Boston, MA
“Most unforgetable and amazing place - absolutely no complaints”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

We just returned from a week stay at Jade Mountain for our late honeymoon/1st anniversary and have nothing but wonderful things to say. We had done a lot of research and read almost every review out there - so the bar was set very high. Upon arrival the resort and views were more amazing than any picture could show. We were immediatel greeted with warm hospitality, which only tipped us off to the excellent service to follow for our entire stay.
Room - We stayed in sanctuary JD3 (Moon) and walking in for the first time was magical. The view was stunning from every angle of the room - even the bathroom. The bed was one of the most comfortable I had ever slept in and came equiped with a fan secured to the top of the 4 poster frame. We were never warm while in the bed. The rest of the room has ceiling fans to keep circulation going, but there was always a wonderful breeze. We never experienced mosquitoes or other bugs in the room - escept for one random beetle. The birds did make them selves welcome to any left over food. The dining table and other lounge furniture was also very lovely and comfortable. We also loved the bathroom - with the double vanity and large mirror to provide the best view at all times. The large jacuzzi tub with rotating color lights was a nice touch. The rain shower was also wonderful. The breeze was cool while in the shower, but not uncomfortably.
Pool - The pool was covered in a lovely shade of bronze glass tiles that changed colors in the sun. We loved to just sit on the wall of the pool and gaze at the view. Unfortuantely, as the rooms face mostly south, there wasn't a lot of sun to be had in the pool, but we still enjoyed having it and swam in it a lot. The pool deck has 2 very comfortable loungers that were excellent for reading and taking in the view.
Food - We enjoyed the food at Jade Mountain the most over all other restaurants on the property. We opted for the All Inclusive plan, which I think was the best deal if you like to eat and drink. We also ate at dinner at Aspara, lunch and dinner at Trou au Diable and lunches in our beach hut (beach bar menu). While we enjoyed all the food, nothing compared to the meals we had at the Jade Mountain Club. Our favorite server at Jade was Daniella - she made all our dinners wonderful. We definitely feel we got our money's worth from all the eating and drinking we did. Full breakfasts each day, lunches, afternoon snacks, appetizers, salads, full meals and desserts at each meal. We chose to have breakfast in our room each morning, which was lovely considering the view! Each night you make your selection using a menu card and write down a time. Each room comes with little bags to hang on the outside of the door - Room Service, Housekeeping, Privacy. So - if you want to order breakfast or any other room service, you fill out the form and put it in the bag, then click a light and someone will come pick it up - without bothering you. Breakfast was always delivered on time and with a smile.
Service - Similar to the food, the service was most excellent at Jade. Although we did not encounter "bad" service anywhere, you could definitely tell the drastic difference between other areas of the resort and Jade, be it service in the restaurant, reception staff, or maintenance personelle. Walking through Jade, every staff stops to wish you a good day and ask how you're enojoying your time. We did make it a point to try to get to know our beach servers - as we saw them every day. We did notice that this enhansed the service provided on the beach. The staff in the Scuba center was also very friendly and knowledgeable.
At Jade, each room is assigned 2 Major Domo's. We had Filliner and Teclus ("Filli and T" for short). They were both wonderful and would help us with anything we asked and both went above and beyond to make our stay special. On two occassions they decorated our bed with a lovely display made from towels and local flowers and plants (swans and hearts) and lit candles and filled our tub with bubble bath. Filli also helped my husband put together a private dinner for our anniversary and had a very decadent cake made as a surprise for us. Jade gives each room a "Firefly" - similar to a cell phone, but you can only call your Major Domo's or reception...and they can call you. Very helpful to take down to the beach or anywhere else on the resort in case you need anything.
Activities - We had the "Total Romance Package" so a good amount of activities were included. The volcanco tour/botanical gardens was the least favorite, but still enjoyable. The good part about activies was planning them in the morning, then having the rest of the day to do as you wish. We enjoyed the boat snorkel trip, although we found that the reef on the property was so convenient and much more beautiful. We snorkeled at this reef daily and also the resort scuba course does the dive on this reef as well. We enjoyed a couples massage in our sanctuary - which we both felt was the best massage we'd ever had. Truely wonderful. We also upgraded our half-day sail to a sunset cruise...and it ended up being private. It was a very nice time - and gave a different view of the Pitons, resort, and sunset. We added on the Zip Lining tour. This was the longest activity - 8am-2pm, but was a lot of fun and we had a great tour guide for the trip to and from (30 min boat taxi, 1 hr bus drive). The only thing we didn't get to was the mountain biking - we wanted to have one day without any "plans".
Beach - The beach was beautiful - and being able to get out of the sun into your private beach hut was great. Each one came equiped with 2 comfortable lounges (they stock you with very nice towels once you arrive), a drink menu, beach food menu, and spa menu. There is a handy yellow flag you put out into the sun when you want to order anything. The service here was mostly excellent - we heard some complaints, but as I mentioned earlier, we made it a point to get to know the servers which I think helped our service. Keep in mind - you're on vacation, no need to rush! The sand was very hot - as it's dark gray and attracts the hot sun. One highlight - A couple times a day a beach employee walks around with a cooler of cold peppermint towels and a spray bottle of peppermint water...it is so wonderful on a hot day. One complaint - a couple of water taxis (not employed by the resort) camps out at the beach offering to take people around the island...they were quite pushy. Also - keep in mind that there are a ton of stairs from the beach back up to Jade. It didn't bother us (may have helped manage the tons of food we ate) but they did provide a shuttle if you wanted it...you can just call for it on your little Firefly phone.
Entertainment - Each night there was entertainment somwhere on the resort. At Jade, usually around 8pm, there was nice music - we saw a guitarist, a few different jazz sax players, etc. This was very nice for dinner/after dinner drinks. Also each night there was "island music" in the Piton Bar (every night except Tuesday)...usually some sort of reggae band. We though they were all very good. Music is usually over around 10:30-11 which is nice so you can get back up to your sanctuary for a dip in the pool and a good night sleep. Tuesday nights there is a Steel Drum Band down in the beach bar.
So - I could probably go on forever about how wonderful it is - but I guess the main point was that it completely exceeded all expectations - which I think is amazing considering how high they were. Yes, it was expensive - but in our opinion, totally worth the amazing experience, views, sanctuary, service, food. I felt so thankful that we were able to go to a wonderful place like Jade compared to somewhere more generic like one of the Sandals on the island.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
7 Thank gracemb83

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (278)
los angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

Yes, It's expensive. We paid 4500$ for 4 nights for a Star Sanctuary May 17th to 21st 2009 and were given JD2. We did not do a meal plan but most recommend it. Would I do it again? Absolutely. Most of the reviews on this site cover the food so I won't bother with that. The morning yoga with Christen added alot to our stay. She is a great teacher and very inspirational. Facts:the Eight levels from bottom to top go: F level, A level, B level, C level, D level, E level, Jade Club level, Celestial Terrace. The Sun rooms are on the corners: E1, D1 C1.... and E3...D4...C5 Note there are only 3 rooms on the E level, 4 on the D level --which makes these rooms more desirable. We looked at some other rooms and JE1 probably has the best view. But JD1 has a nice private outdoor space. My only issue with the Sun rooms is that they have the 3rd and 4th wall missing so they feel very open. Because they are! The yoga Teacher Christen recommended JA2 as her favorite room because of the layout. But the higher sanctuaries have better views and are further away from the bugs...women with shaved legs tend to get eaten up (but that may be seasonal). The Couples Massage in the room is a must. Do the Jungle Biking and the dive and snorkel trips. Avoid any trips that require getting in a car. Go on the boat outings only!
The Star sanctuaries feel a little more intimate. I would opt for JD2 again when we go back. I would also go back when the moon is full so do this if you can. While Anse was not full, Jade MTN was at 100 percent occupancy when we were there.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
5 Thank spurg
York, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2009

My husband and I stayed at Jade Mountain in September 2008 when I was 5 months pregnant as a last romantic adult only holiday before our baby arrived. We really wanted something special to remember and picked Jade Mountain based on the amazing reviews and we really wanted a hotel with private pools for convenience and privacy due to my pregnancy. We had very high expectations and were not disappointed!

From start to finish our holiday was amazing. We had booked a star room but upon arrival we were upgraded to a moon room. When we were shown to our room, despite seeing pictures prior to travelling, we were both amazed. The room and view were both breathtaking. Our "sanctuary" was a fantastic size and the quality and design of furnishings were absolutely stunning. The hotel really is unique and the stucture is so impressive. We had room JD4 and the only minor thing we would change with this room is that the infinity pool was the entire width of the room, leaving no space either side as a sunbathing deck which many of the other rooms did have. I wasn't able to sunbathe too much during this particular holiday due to the risk of overheating whilst pregnant so it didn't worry us too much, however, if and when we return, we would request a different room. The infinity pool was a good size, but not intended or big enough for laps so for exercise it was necessary to use the gym or walk to down to the sea for swimming. It was a fair trek down to the beach area, but a quick call to our majordomo on our private mobile phone and a car was ready to taxi us either there or back within a few minutes. It is also worth noting that due to the architecture of the hotel there are an awful lot of stairs to climb to get from the reception area and lower rooms up to the restaurant and there is no lift. This is definately a concern for those pregnant or with walking difficulties.

The hotel was so peaceful. It was wonderful to wake up every morning to the sound of birds with such a fantastic view of the Pitons. We felt really close to nature due to the missing 4th wall of our sanctuary but were still in luxurious surroundings. I was also concerned that due to the St Lucian weather, it would be very hot and humid in the rooms without air conditioning, however, it was surprisingly pleasant in the room and there were numerous ceiling fans to keep cool. The jacuzzi bath was a lovely touch and the facilities in the room were excellent.

We ate almost exclusively at the Jade Mountain Restaurant but had one meal at Anse Chastenet at the Trou au Diable restaurant which was ok but the standard of food and service at JM was noticably superior. We thought the food at JM was fantastic. We were on a half board basis and were impresed by the selection of the breakfast and dinner menu's. This is the first hotel we have come accross which had Kobe steak included on the half board menu. The restaurants head chef visited tables to briefly chat to guests most evenings which was a lovely touch. Also, as there were certain foods that I was unable to eat, staff were very understanding and accomodating and they were more than happy to add or remove ingredients or prepare something else altogether. It is possible to eat in your room as well as the restaurant and staff routinely asked whether we would like our desert or coffees taken down to our room following our meal.

The service at Jade Mountain was also outstanding. Nothing was too much trouble and we were made to feel like royalty throughout the entire stay. Upon arrival one of our Majordomo's intorduced himself and offered to unpack our suitcases. On a numer of afternoons when we returned to our room, a bubble bath complete with Molten Brown toiletries and rose petals had been prepared which was lovely. All staff knew guests by name and our room was decorated with flowers every day.

I used the gym and visited the spa a few times. The spa treatments were excellent and I was offered a "mother to be" treatment package which was a very welcome pampering experience. It was also possible to have spa treatments in the sanctuary and I believe these were at no additional cost.

Overall, the hotel is simply amazing. It is pricey but is such a wonderful experience that I wouldn't hesitate in recommending it, especially for a special occasion. This is certainly our favourite hotel in the Caribbean. I am only sad that we will not be able to visit again for many years as JM does not accept children.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KLBYork
SoCal
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

I decided to surprise my wife with a trip for our 10 year wedding anniversary, and after reading all the amazing reviews of Jade Mountain, I went ahead and booked a "Moon Sanctuary". The drive to the resort was a bit long, but we were transported in a brand new SUV with air conditioning and so it was just fine until you hit the "road from hell". I was told that the road hasn't been improved because the resort wants to keep guests on their property and also to keep the locals off of the beach (all beaches in St.Lucia are public). Whatever the reason, the road is SO bad that I would strongly recommend doing the helicopter transfer to the resort. Upon arriving at the resort we were welcomed with cold 'mint' towels and a nice rum drink, both of which were appreciated after our flight/drive. Our major domo guided us to the long catwalk that separates each individual room from the hotels walkways, handed us the key to our room, and then told us that "he could go no further because he wanted us to experience our sanctuary by ourselves". At that moment I thought he was being a bit melodramatic, but upon turning the key and walking into our sanctuary my wife and I were rendered totally speechless other than the random "wow's" that kept coming out of our mouths. We were probably in the room alone for 30 minutes or so before our Domo brought us the rest of our baggage, but it seemed like just seconds had passed. The view of the Gros Piton mountain never got old, and I found myself constantly staring at it as if it were a flame that kept dancing around a campfire. Even though we live in California and have plenty of mountains to look at, this range was like nothing I had ever seen.
Over the next two days we had purposely planned nothing because we wanted to just take everything in and not feel like we had to rush out and do a tour. By the third day we finally left our sanctuary (for the first time) and went down to the beach to do some snorkeling. One thing is for sure, if you aren't in at least adequate physical condition, this place isn't for you, as you have to walk steep steps up and down to get ANYWHERE. I found myself packing an extra shirt if we were going anywhere, because by the time we either got up or down the mountain I was drenched in sweat. We only saw one mosquito (who just happened to bite both my wife and I), but once we closed the netting around the bed at night we didn't have any other problems with bites. My only complaint about anything at the resort is that we struggled to find a meal at any of the restaurants that was decent. The hamburgers we ordered through room service were seasoned so heavily that they were more like 'herb' burgers, and there wasn't a single bit of ripe fresh fruit in the entire resort (we paid $20+ dollars for a specially made tray of pineapple that wasn't close to ripe). We actually had a good dinner at the indian restaurant down on the beach, but when we went back the next night and ordered the exact same dishes they weren't even remotely close to what we had ordered the night before. We tried this place one more time before we left and it still wasn't close to what we had eaten our first night there.
I almost feel badly about complaining about any aspect of Jade Mountain because the place is so incredible in so many ways, but I honestly think that the food is the only thing holding Jade back from being the world's most perfect travel destination. The ziplining was amazing, the drive-thru volcano is a joke (don't waste your money, unless you like looking at bubbling pits of gray goo), the botanical gardens were very nice and the baths at the bottom of the waterfalls felt incredible. Overall, it was a trip that neither my wife nor I will ever forget, and we will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AvilaBeachEvan
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2009

I found Jade Mountain on Trip Advisor. On a scale of 1-10 I would rate it a 20. I arrived with absurdly high expectations but the hotel and its staff exceeded every one of them.

Our wedding ceremony, cruise and dinner was 100% seamless and absolutely perfect. I can't imagine a better place to get married. Our wedding planner, Monica, was such a pleasure to work with and perfectly executed every detail of our itinerary. My wedding day was totally worry free thanks to her -- quite a luxury for a fretting-prone bride. Our pictures are stunning. Bernd, our photographer, was fantastic and his immense talent is going to astonish everyone who sees our pictures. Our sunset cruise with Kerwin and Kenyan was so much fun for us and our guests -- I would highly recommend this if you're thinking about getting married at Jade Mountain, as it makes for really interesting pictures. Our major domos, Vido and Okeda, created such a beautiful atmosphere in our room for our wedding night. Their warmth and hospitality was above and beyond anything I've experienced anywhere and it enhanced our entire vacation.

I am definitely going back to Jade Mountain, and it's kind of nice to leave a place and take mental inventory of all the things you want to do next time. For example, we only got around to taking one of Meno's complimentary walking tours on our last full day. We wish we had taken every one of them. I only made it to Kristen's yoga class once as well, but I really enjoyed it immensely. She really challenged each of us based on our individual level without making us uncomfortable at any point.

I also thought the snorkeling was great and I very strongly encourage checking out the Anse la Raye Friday night fish fry. I had 7 spa treatments over the course of our 5 night stay and I loved each one of them and was walking on a cloud by the last one. I was especially fond of the hot stone massage and seaweed mud wrap.

Our 5 guests at Anse Chastanet couldn't have been happier with their rooms and overall experiences. Everyone had the time of their lives. I have one last thing to gush about -- their billing system is immaculate and you never have to worry about money.

I am so appreciative of everyone at Jade Mountain for giving me the wedding of my dreams.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank gc07182014c
St. Louis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2009

Jade Mountain is an idyllic retreat. We just came back. As spoiled Americans accustomed to 72 degree air conditioned lives, it took a little getting used to open aired rooms with no air conditioning. You sleep in a beautiful bed swathed in mosquito netting and if it is hot and humid you could be a little uncomfortable. Also, if you are not in great shape it will take getting used to navigating the steep hillside to go from Anse Chastanet's beach up to your room. The Jade Mountain Club is on the top of the resort and it is probably seven stories up. There are no elevators. So if you are not in good shape, you will be in better shape by the end of your stay. On the plus side, the staff is very very gracious and charming. Everyone knows your name and seems to care if your every need is being met. The snorkeling on site is second to none. The food was exquisite and the views breathtaking. I absolutely loved this property and the staff.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank ipsedixit4
Guelph, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 April 2009

Via Anse Chastanet, via crazy, crazy roads. Fellow guests at Anse and Jade joke about reasons why the road going to these 2 resorts is so bad. To increase taxi usage is one of them. Haha. Unless you have a 4x4 with some sort of decent power, this road is not for everyone. The initial hill climb out of Soufriere towards Anse Chastanet is long, steep and bumpy. And continues so for the next little while. At times we questioned if we were even going the right way as there was no signs or any indication that lead us to believe otherwise.

Jade Mountain is only accessible to the public through Anse Chastanet. On arrival we were greeted warmly by the security at the entrance gate and they even parked our vehicle for us. There is a parking lot on the left and a smaller one on the right. The right one is for Jade Mountain guests. A shuttle promptly arrived for us, loaded our luggage and took us up to Jade - all the while pointing out the rooms and buildings of the property. The small road up to Jade can only accommodate one vehicle; it's pretty narrow with built-in steps down the middle. On arrival at Jade, we were welcomed by the general manager and several staff. Everyone was very nice and we were guided to the reception building. It was about 1:30pm or so, and we were pleased to see that our room was ready for us well in advance of the usual 3pm check-in time.

Our Moon Sanctuary for the next 3 nights will be JA5. The way the rooms are set up in Jade Mountain is that the Sky Sanctuary is set on the lowermost part of Jade property. Then every floor above that each consists of the Star, Moon and Sun Sanctuaries. Each room is different and has its own personality. No two sanctuaries are the same, so each stay can be unique.

You're assigned a series of butlers, or Major Domos as they're called. Our head Major Domo was Vito but it was Filliner that we saw the most. She was exceptionally accommodating. We're told that we can call on them with our provided Firefly (a mini cell phone) with just about any wish we desired. They were there for us on demand. Although we seldom used them, the one time I called and Vito answered, he seemed bothered and uninterested. I was only asking a simple question regarding the contents of our stocked fridge. I guess everyone has their off day, but at a resort such as Jade, I don't believe that should be apparent to guests no matter what.

Filliner showed us to our room and its features. JA5 is very spacious and has a very large pool. We absolutely loved it. The best room we've had on this honeymoon for sure. It was contemporary and the view of both Pitons is immaculate. We never felt our privacy to be compromised at any time by the lack of a 4th wall. Everything is clean and there were no flying bugs present. We're pretty lucky to not experience any annoying bugs! At all!

Monday nights at Jade Mountain, they have a Manager's Cocktail Party at the Jade Club. Dressed smart casual, we arrived there at about 6:30pm by means of the many mini journeys up the series of stairs. I'm a pretty fit guy and even these ones made me a little tired on arrival. Being warmly greeted with complimentary Chardonnays and other wines is most welcoming. We were able to meet with the majority of the staff there, as well as staff from Anse Chastanet. They made it their duty to greet everyone and chat with you, so you're not standing there by yourself. It was great and we really enjoyed it. We were able to talk with their Executive Chef, Jonathan Dearden, and learned a little of his background. For starters, he's only 23 years old! I've never met a younger Executive Chef, but he's certainly earned his belonging at Jade. The tasters we were able to sample were delicious. But they're always tasters, even at Ladera. Why aren't these on the menu?! We learned that Jonathan hails from Florida and has started at quite a young age. By 19 years old, he had already won various awards and had paid off his condo. Then he's managed to make his way over to St. Lucia as Executive Chef for Jade Mountain. Quite impressive indeed.

Our dinner at Jade Club following the Cocktail party was pretty good. On the first night, we were not on their meal plan, but were scheduled to be on the meal plan on the remaining days. So this dinner would be charged to our room. We had the Lobster Main Course, a whole one for me and a half lobster for my wife in addition to some appetizers, Argentina Chardonnay by the glass and a cocktail. Although the wait was a little longer than previous dining establishments we've visited so far in our previous resorts, the presentation of our meal was excellent. The lobster both seemed to be of equal portions even though I ordered a full and my wife a half. It was good, but had a different distinctive taste that you have to acquire. In the end, because of the lobster surcharge, our bill was $232 USD. Not for the faint of heart.

Overall, the ambience in Jade was definitely executive class. Before your main course, you're presented with a small bowl of flavored ice to clean your palette. Cutlery is exchanged in between each stage of your meal and bread is freshly cut in front of you to your liking. Certainly not your Cagneys.

I was 29 years old, my wife 27, and we were certainly the youngest couple there. The median age, from our observation there would be about 40-50+. The Jade Club staff was very genuinely friendly and seemed to value their jobs.

A well rested night sleep was in order following our dinner. Our breakfast the next morning was to be delivered to our room for 8am. Ordering breakfast to your room involved filling out your order on forms provided in your room, and placing them in a certain pouch and placing them outside your door. Then you press a button by your door and they know to come and get the order. We did this each day so every morning was breakfast delivered. Our breakfast included 2 eggs scrambled, 2 eggs poached, sausages, bacon, a fruit platter, bread, muffin and juice. Although breakfast is included in our accommodation, you still have to sign for it and each morning the amount shown on the bill was valued at about $55 USD.

Around noon we made our way down to Anse Chastanet beach. Guests staying at either resort have the privilege of using the beach huts to the right of the beach. Complete with butler service. Towels are provided for you, layed out on your lounge chair and all. Each hut has food and drink menus as well as a yellow butler flag. When you require their services for ordering something, you place the flag out in the sand they'll come by. Each time we put it out, they were by within a minute. The drinks we ordered arrived fairly quickly. As long as it takes for them to walk from our hut to the bar and back. On our Wednesday trip out to Anse Chastanet beach, we ordered some lunch which consisted of Caesar salad, chicken Caesar salad and chicken club sandwiches. That delicious meal with some cocktails arrived fairly quickly as well with a signing of a value of $75 USD. I'd also like to mention that at Jade and Anse, as with most places in St. Lucia, 10% gratuity is already included. But unlike Stonefield and Ladera, they only require you to sign for it and don't give you the option of adding any additional tips. But considering the prices of the meals here, its better this way. Our meals here and the remaining nights are now all inclusive. Good thing, kind of... but more on that later.

The water here is as equally warm as Jalousie with the main difference being the sand is volcanic black sand compared to Jalousie's imported white sands. It did feel a little warmer on your feet. The water was a little choppier as it didn't have the shelter of the 2 Pitons as did Jalousie. But with that said, snorkeling at Anse is much better! To the left of the beach by the Scuba Shop, behind the designated buoys is fantastic. Being a designated marine park, undersea life is abundant. At one point while diving down about 10-15 feet below, a large eel popped out in between some rocks to greet me! A little startling but I managed to keep my breath and observed it for the moment. It's hard to believe how busy it gets down under. Truly a whole new world, one that we wish we could experience on demand.

4pm saw us in front of the Scuba Shop waiting for our boat for the Sunset Cruise we had booked earlier with Mystic Man Tours. On schedule, arrived a fella on smaller motorized inflatable to take us to the boat anchored out further. After boarding our boat, we learned that there was nobody else booked for the cruise and with great surprise our cruise has been upgraded to Private! Just my wife and I, and the captain and first mate. Pitons and Champaign were complimentary and we welcomed it accordingly. The cruise would be 2 hours long, departing Anse Chastanet and going towards the Pitons and then back. We had free range of the boat and were able to sit on the bow during the cruise. We also conversed quite deeply with the crew about their way of life on a more personal level. Things you can't usually do if there were several other couples on board too. We learned lots on this sunset cruise.

At about 6pm the sun is setting and we were told to watch carefully as at the precise moment when it sets, there is a green flash from the way the light is reflected through the light spectrum. Sure enough, we saw it and it was beautiful. This is the epitome of what a sunset cruise is about. Before ending our cruise, I gave them a $20 USD tip. Well worth it, considering how fortunate we were to end up getting a private cruise.

Trou au Diable Restaurant:

Tuesday night dinner, we enjoyed a fabulous BBQ down at the Trou au Diable restaurant (Anse Chastanet). Their Caesar salad is traditional and the best I've had yet on this island. I had the shrimp and fish kabob with rice off the grill and was able to get a portion that was satisfying for my appetite. The meal was excellent; the atmosphere more lively and really does wake you up. The staff is wonderful, courteous, friendly and easy to talk to. We felt welcomed and catered to at this smart casual restaurant

Once signed for our meal, we made our way to the bar for some more cocktails and there was a Steel Drums band playing. They really do a great job at creating and directing the nightlife atmosphere. Staffs were dancing on their runs, etc. We were having the time of our life. It differed here greatly compared to up at Jade Club. Having the opportunity to set your experience by the mood you're in, or would like to be in, at one linked-in resort is great! It was pretty late by the time we made the trek back up to our room. We opted to walk back - well, my wife opted to walk back - but at any time we could've asked the bar or security to call us a shuttle. A night swim in our infinity pool before bed was in order.

Meal Plan Discrepancy - Overcharged (Jade Mountain):

As it was our last night, they also present you with your bill. To my surprise, instead of $150 USD per day that they widely and openly advertised, we were charged $290 per day for the meal plan. As I brought this to their attention in the morning prior to checkout, they insisted that - and I quote - "That is the price. $145 per person for the meal plan." By now they had me questioning myself so without making a big issue out of it, I signed for it.

Nonetheless, after reviewing their website's advertised price and prior e-mails from them regarding prices, it was apparent that they had outright lied to me. It is not, in no way was or will be $145 per person ($290) for the meal plan per day. From such a high end resort as Jade Mountain, something like this is a big surprise and unexpected. But it happened and currently I'm still trying to get this resolved. Being overcharged by $330 in total is one thing, but being lied to about it is just unacceptable. No matter what the reputation of an establishment, big or small.

Although our stay was wonderful, with certainly great memories and hospitality, a negative experience such as this is one that dominates memories. After several e-mails to them regarding this issue, some I've had to send again because they failed to reply the first time (after a week of waiting), they replied back to tell me that it was the price that my travel agent said to charge. Again, that is also not true as I've contacted my travel agent about it. So where it stands at the moment, my travel agent will be trying to contact them about this for me. Regardless, even if it was an oversight or mistake that the travel agent made regarding meal plan prices, you would think that Jade Mountain would point it out and charge accordingly to what they advertise. Not trying to score extra money from an already $1400/night room.

Update: After several e.mail conversations later, I have now figured out that they have 2 different rates. Their advertised MAP rate and an unadvertised "All Inclusive" rate. What's strange is that their AI rate is not at a set price, but varies very widely. When booking online through several other sites, when you add in the AI option, prices per night I've found to have varied from hundreds of dollars. They must do this to be able to accommodate and adjust to certain conditions. I'm not really sure. But it did take awhile to figure that out. They could've just plainly explained that they have 2 different rates. Both to myself and our travel agent (who was also not made aware). In the end, all is good.

Jade Mountain resort is indeed an absolutely breathtaking sanctuary. A special place that will forever be with us shared on our honeymoon memories for all times.

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple
19 Thank ThaiM
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet
Cap Maison
Cap Maison
#2 of 4 in Cap Estate

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!