“Breathtaking”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Vernon, Connecticut
“Breathtaking”
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and I just returned from our honeymoon at Jade Mountain. For the past year and a half I have stalked tripadvisor and let me tell you, none of the pictures do this place justice. It really is paradise found. My husband and I have traveled to exotic locales and stayed at 5 star hotels in Europe, Asia, Africa and the Caribbean and no place compares to the unique, stylish island paradise that is Jade Mountain.

Many reviews have complained about the drive from the airport to Jade. It is a beautiful drive through the jungle/towns in an air conditioned SUV. Upon arriving to the hotel we were greeted by our two friendly major domos with a fruity island beverage and escorted to our sanctuary (you can't call them rooms). Each sancutary has its own individual walkway, which makes you feel like you are away from the world...very private and exclusive feeling. We stayed in the "Star" Sanctuary, JA3, and upon opening the door, our jaw litterally dropped to the floor! The view of the Pitons is breathraking...the Infinity Pool is huge (enough to do laps) and the decor is amazing. I love the way the resort supports the local community, using recycled glass for the tiles of the infinity pool, rock wall from local quarries and the hardwood floors from neighboring islands. We had to pinch ourselves when we woke up in the morning to make sure this was real!

The major domos go above and beyond service. A few nights we had our hot tub drawn with rose petals in it and a few afternoons we can home to our bed decorated with local flowers. Also, you can arrange to have wine and cheese/dessert waiting for you after dinner in your sanctuary.

The sanctuaries are very private too. We never heard our neighbors above/below/next to us..all we could hear was the water falling out of the infinity pools and the jungle noises. Speaking of the jungle, we did not have a problem with any "creepy crawlies." We brought bug spray for the mosqitos (hey it is a jungle), but we never found any bugs/lizards/frogs in our sanctuary. All we saw were a few birds that would come watch us eat our breakfast.

Tips:
1. Arrange before you go to do the private dinner on the beach...so romantic!!! We had the beach to ourselves and it was amazing to watch the sunset. We did the "Total Romance" package, so all of the food/drinks were included...all you have to pay is $100 for the set up.
2. Leave the resort. My husband and I had a hard time even leaving the beach, let alone our sanctuary the first few days of our honeymoon. But, St. Lucia is beautiful. Take advantage of seeing the worl's only drive in volcano and botanical gardens. Also, the day of sailing on the resort's sail boat was amazing. It was only my husband and I and two other couples, so the sailing trip was very intimate. In fact all of the tours were very intimate (like 2-3 couples per tour), so no tours felt touristy at all.
3. Eat most dinners at Jade Mountain Club. It is located on the top level of the resort with amazing views of the Pitons and gorgeous sunsets. The food is top notch, with top notch service to match. The food at Anse Chastanet's restaurants is good, but pales in comparison to Jade Mountain.
4. You can order sandwiches and salads to your beach hut, so you don't even have to get up...just stick your flag in the sand and your beach butler comes right to you! The sandwiches are very very tasty, but if you go to the actual beach restaurant, the food is much better with a larger variety of choices.
5. Try the cocoloco. It is the best island beverage hands down!
6. Don't listen to the complaints about the pool temperature. Yes, it was the same temp as the ocean, but after a hot day at the beach, it is very refreshing.
7. Enjoy a massage in your sanctuary. Nothing beats the views of the Pitons while having your couples massage.

My husband and I are already saving to come back on our 10 year!!! It is an amazing and unique place and we miss it terribly. Enjoy paradise found!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
8 Thank mccannon24

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (287)
Canton of Vaud, Switzerland
Reviewed 6 August 2009

On this review I am going to be very brave. You may wonder why? During our two week stay at Anse Chastanet we negotiated an upgrade for our last three night to Jade Mountain. Also during our stay Jade gained the accolade of being the 3rd best hotel in the world. So by writing, what I hope, is a critical (not necessarily negative) review I may be challenging the opinions of the powers that be. I may also be saying more about me than about the hotel itself.

And so, with my heart in my mouth..........

Jade Mountain is an amazing concept, it is the work of either a madman or a genius and I am still not quite sure which. Our room (JA2 and therefore a “star” grade room) was simply stunning. The hotel itself is based upon a ridge line overlooking Soufriere bay. From the outside the hotel looks like a 1970's misfit from below, whilst the rear of the hotel with its bridges should definitely be a set in the next James Bond movie and the rooms themselves feel a bit like an art gallery, with the art work in question being the stunning views of the Pitons in the distance. The rooms do bring an all together new definition of the concept of a “picture wall”.

Jade is based around the concept that each room is a “sanctuary” and this includes full room service and access to a major-domo 24/7. The major-domo is there to provide for your every need including unpacking and packing your bags, bringing food and drink, and running errands such as, and I do quote “if you are on the beach and you've forgotten the book that you are reading, call the major domo and s/he will bring it down for you from your room”. To enable this level of service each room is provided with a firefly phone that operates across the hotel grounds, including the beach, and allows you to contact the major-domo or reception at any time. It also means that they can call you at any time as well, which they did do on a number of occasions which we did find to be, although well intentioned, a little intrusive.

So, on the amazing side, fantastic, stunning and never to be replicated room, great food and expectations of a level of service that I have never previously experienced.

But there is a fly in the ointment that I do have to share, particularly as the hotel is based on the idea of your room being your sanctuary and service and care is everything. On our second night we asked some friends (a couple with two young children) who were staying at Anse Chastanet to come up to our room for an early and quick pre-dinner drink. I met them in Anse Chastanet and walked them, past two sets of security guards who did not make any comments, to our room. 10 minutes later there was a knock at the door, I answered to find a burly female security in guard in full uniform who told me firmly and politely that we were not allowed guests or children in our room as this was against hotel policies and that they should leave immediately. Not having been informed of any such policies I was embarrassed for our guests who were able to witness the exchange from within the room. The guard left and after a short discussion with our guests I walked them back to Anse Chastanet. I immediately went to reception and had a positive and helpful discussion with the duty manager. I was very open and accepting about the need to inform us if there was a problem with having guests and for the need for the hotel to maintain its policies. I was very concerned, and still am for that matter, about the way that the message was passed on to us. It should have been handled far more discreetly than by sending a unformed security worker down to tell us about our transgression, even though we had never been informed of any such policies. The duty manager was very understanding and apologetic and did accept my concerns about how this had been handled by the hotel, indeed she acknowledged that she should have come down in person to resolve the issue.

I am glad that we had three nights in Jade Mountain, it was an amazing experience and a great way to end our wedding and honeymoon in St Lucia. We also took the helicopter back to the airport instead of the hour car journey, it flies right over the volcano and takes only ten minutes. But I have to say that I would not choose to stay at Jade Mountain again. I prefer a place that has, the French use the term “terroir” to describe a sense of place, something that takes on the characteristics of the immediate location. Jade Mountain does not have terroir, it is something that has been imposed onto the landscape rather than being a part of it, not withstanding the unique architecture, the amazing rooms and the stunning views of the Pitons.

Next time I go back and I will go back, I will get the best possible room that I can get at the sister hotel of Anse Chastanet, a hotel that does have a real sense of place and a belonging to its location.

7 Thank Steve C
Fairfax
Reviewed 6 August 2009

We stayed at Jade Mountain for a week for our honeymoon. I absolutely loved it!

I'll start off with my only negative....we reserved a Sun room for the week. Our first night there, we were put in one of their Sky suites (without a pool) due to our room being flooded. Totally understandable. The only negative thing I have to say is that they would not reimburse us the difference for that night, even though a Sun room is significantly more money than a Sky suite with no pool. Other than that, our honeymoon was amazing. The hotel is so beautiful.

We ended up taking a cab instead of a helicopter. If you're not in a hurry, I would definitely recommend it. I loved driving through the winding roads of the beautiful island. Once we arrived, as I said, we were told that we wouldn't be able to stay in our Sun room that night, and we were put up in a Sky suite (which was still fantastically beautiful - I was just disappointed because I couldn't wait to have the pool in our room). The next day, we were taken up to our Sky room. I was blown away. I've seen all of the pictures and read all of the reviews, but nothing compared to the real thing. The panoramic view was absolutely stunning. The furniture was so classy and well maintained. The pool (by far my favorite part) was a little bit chilly, but it was perfect after hiking up the stairs from the beach. The staff was beyond nice. The food was wonderful (we ended up trying all of the restaurants...my favorite was the one at the top of Jade Mountain, although the beachside restaurant had great sandwiches).

We did get some very heavy winds that lasted for a few days. Having no walls did make this somewhat unpleasant, since the wind would whip straight through the room. We had pillows and clothes being tossed into the pool! No big deal, though...we just put all of our stuff in drawers and ordered room service (they had to close the restaurant on the roof and the one on the beach) and sat far back in the room enjoying the storms.

We didn't get to do very many water activities due to the weather, but I did get to snorkel a few times. The beach is beautiful. It is a bit of a hike up the stairs to the room, but knowing that you had a nice cold private pool to jump into at the end made it so worth it.

Overall, we had a fantastic experience at Jade Mountain. Everything exceeded my expectations.

• Stayed October 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rachaelem
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed 6 August 2009

I'm writing this review as a single traveler who chose Jade Mountain for a unique and relaxing getaway. I would definitely say that both criteria were met and exceeded! The views are amazing and I spent most of my time in the room, listening to the sounds of nature, swimming, sunning, and enjoying my solitude. There were a few things I think could stand some improvement in a resort of this caliber, and they are included in this review.

I had a transfer arranged from the airport, and the Jade Mountain reception at the airport was very nice, complete with a bottle of cold water for my journey. They use taxis from the area, and the ride is about an hour on winding and hilly roads. It's a nice way to see a bit of the island. The road up to the resort is extremely bumpy and steep, so be aware if you plan to drive it yourself!

Reception at the hotel is lovely with a personal greeting, cold towel, island drink, and a personal introduction to your sanctuary. I was told I was upgraded from a Star room to a Sun room when I arrived. I was in JB1, which appeared to be the smallest of the Sun rooms, but perfect for one person. A nice touch was the "welcome" package in the refrigerator, which included champagne, beer, water, sodas, a lovely fruit tray, and some sweets. The only issue I had with the look of the room was some unsightly mold on a curved wall by the pool and a couple of water spots on the ceiling, all of which detracted from the beauty of the room. However, the views of the Pitons, the Sea, and the lush greenery held my attention. The bathroom was up a few steps and open to the views, making for an amazing shower or jacuzzi bath! However, I'm not sure how I would have felt having the toilet so open with someone else in the room.

I didn't have any issues with mosquitoes, but had some ants and tiny spiders in the sink and on the table after meals. I also had some huge moths and a few very large roach-like bugs, but such is the reality of an indoor/outdoor space. The birds flew in and out freely and were especially present after meals. I also did not have any issues with being too warm, and the pool was always wonderful in the afternoon sun.

The butler service is really nice to have, but I found some inconsistencies in information that was presented to me, depending on whom I asked. I found the room service menu a bit limited, but you can always order from the Jade Mountain set menu for dinner. I went down to the beach restaurant (Trou au Diable) for lunch and had delicious meals, drinks, and great service both days. I found a lot of the information in the room informations booklets to be limited compared to what you actually have available to you.

All in all, Jade Mountain was an amazing experience! I feel some improvement could be had with the training of all employees to make sure consistent information is given to the guests, but overall, the service was very attentive and genuine.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled solo
5 Thank LadyJulie
Manchester
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Jade Mountain [JM] for us was a chance visit, having moved there after noise issues from the gardening team down at Anse Chastanet [ACh]. I have heard they occasionally upgrade people for free into JM from ACh, but I am not sure how true this would since the room rates are so vastly different. We got a great deal on an upgrade price and were relocated to JB6 which is a sun sanctuary with a large infinity pool. This end of the building gets the morning and early afternoon sun, whilst the rooms at the other end gets the late afternoon sun. The rooms have no wall on the side where you might expect to see the window and this creates a dramatic affect which is hard to take your eyes off.

The infinity pool drops away into the landscape beyond and is very cooling. Having read some of the reviews that didn't rate this resort I was stunned to hear people complain the pool isn't heated! That isn't the point!!! The pool is designed to integrate all aspects of nature to the room and the cooling affect of the water achieves this and is perfect for a late night dip to cool you down before sleep.

The bathroom in our sanctuary was situated on a mezzanine level and whilst you couldn't see a person on the toilet, you did get a good view of the pitons whilst sat there!! The bathroom was huge, with a big jacuzzi tub with integrated lights, a huge shower in a wet room style, but unlike many wetrooms, this was perfect, the water just went down the drain!!

The sanctuary has a huge dining table, perfect for breakfast and this will be brought to you by the team of butlers. This service generally worked well, but is strained at busier meal times and our Sunday morning breakfast was delivered half an hour late and with an item missing, so just chill and ring them if you need to leave for an excursion.

As with Anse Chastanet the food and drinks prices are much higher than many other holiday destinations so it is well worth going All INclusive as this will stop you thinking aboiut what you are ordering. The service is all included and added to the bill so you also don't need to worry about carrying a bunch of notes around. I would suggest the hotel arranges an all inclusive meal package that doesn't include alcohol. This would work better for people who don't drink much and would hopefully provide a more affordable option as the wine and cocktails are more expensive.

I would love to go back, but I'm not sure the actual rack price of the rooms is really a true reflection on what you get when you think you are paying approximately US$50 per person per hour to stay there! If the listed price included some of the activities like Jungke Biking or the spa, then I think this would be better value. Some of the advertised packages include aspects you may not want and I heard people at the Scuba Centre trying to swap one activity for another without much luck.

There are lots of steps to the beach, but to be honest this was not really a problem to anyone, and lazy people can get the shuttle! Walking is good for you, but as my husband and I live up a similar hill at home, we just found it normal and it makes for the hotel having great views.

The spa at Jade is another level up from the beach, but with the same people working it. The treatments are fantastic and the therapists very well trained. The in room treatments are also available at Jade for no extra cost and this would be well worth it!

Jungle biking is also excellent and the beach waiter service a great concept.

We loved the food in all the restaurants and thought the variety of wine available on the All In menu was pretty good. I've read some reviews about the food being poor and the British chef being rubbish, but this is not the case and the food is very well done, although service in the Jade Club is not as swift as you would like and a 5 course meal can take 2.5 hours. If they could improve this service, it's only a small restaurant, then I think the place would be perfect.

Go to Jade, or combine it with a stay at ACh, the transfer is smooth and the butlers at JM will also unpack for you!!

3 Thank sportychick1977
Atlanta, Ga
Reviewed 1 August 2009

My husband and I visited Jade Mountain to celebrate our 25th anniversary, and although we have had many wonderful vacations, the week we spent at Jade was just a little slice of heaven. Pictures do not do it justice; the sanctuaries have to be experienced in person to be believed. From the views, the gentle Caribbean breezes, the comfortable furnishings, the beautiful bathroom that provides almost religious shower and Jacuzzi expereinces, and the excellent service, you will not be disappointed. We do have some tips and information that may help you, and we are more than willing to answer any questions by e-mail.

In reading other reviews, it seemed that the biggest concerns were with the heat and the mosquitos. We were rarely hot while in the room; the ceiling fans and the ocean breezes kept the room cool, and since the infinity pool was not heated, it was a great way to cool off. My husband did not get any mosquito bites; I did, but I am very prone to being bitten. Be sure to take some bug spray and antihistamine cream with you if you are one who always gets mosquito bites. I also am allergic to most flowers, but I didn't have any problems with that at all.

The food is very good and is served in gourmet portions. You can have anything you want delivered to the room, but be aware that there is a surcharge if you order room service for dinner. The freshly baked breads and pastries are delicious, as are the desserts, and breakfast is especially good - try the chocolate chip pancakes! We ate most of our meals out at the Jade Club (ask for Earl to be your server!) and at the beach restaurant, and we also took the free water taxi to the Anse Mamin beach and had a very good lunch there. This beach is smaller than the main beach, but it is very beautiful and surrounded by rocks and thick with trees and vegetation that give it a more secluded feel.

The activities are also very good. The snorkelling, the sailing, and the beach/beach service are great. Ask for a Banana Passion, a frozen mixture of bananas, rum and passion fruit, at the beach bar - it's one of Andre's speciaIties. I also had a massage in the room, and Moira was a wonderful masseuse who definitely helped me to Forget the Outside World.

We tried to take advantage of all the things our Total Romance package provided, but our favorite moments were while sitting in the room, looking out at the mountains, sipping rum drinks, watching boats as they skimmed across the ocean, spotting rainbows, watching the birds, listening to the sounds of nature, eyeing the view from our infinity pool, relaxing, relaxing, relaxing...........

A very special thanks to Sandy and Ajay - our stay would not have been as nice without you. Filliner was also wonderful as was the entire staff who do everything they can to make sure you have a wonderful stay. The key to the success of Jade Mountain is the service and the people who provide it - together with the incredible view, the amazing yet understated architecture of the building, the uniqueness of the sanctuaries and the beautiful setting of the resort - blend together to provide guests with an unforgettable traveling experience. Enjoy!!!!

6 Thank Lona_8
Norther California
Reviewed 20 July 2009

What an amazing place... Great time, great experience, very romantic!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TuesdayTraveler
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!