“In my VIEW...absolutely amazing!”

Jade Mountain Resort
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Soufriere
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 7 October 2009

When the manager of Jade Mountain Resort asked us what they could have done differently to make our trip more enjoyable, I honestly could not think of anything. In retrospect, I would suggest a heating unit for the in-room swimming pool but I realize the ecological “unfriendliness” of such a suggestion. You actually adjust to the temperature rather quickly and the cooler temp is quite refreshing on a hot day. We stayed in a sun sanctuary so the pool was rather large. The water was much warmer in the moon sanctuary but we upgraded to the larger suite. I really cannot say enough about Jade Mountain. Every time I walked into the room with our amazing open-air view…I just thought wow, perhaps working 40 hours per week is somehow worth it. We went to St. Lucia for the picturesque views of the Pitons as the volcanic island isn’t known for its beaches. They actually weren’t as bad as I expected. In the pictures we took, the beach looked rather nice (attached). Anse Mamin beach was better maintained than Anse Chastanet (one piece of litter is really one too many). I had a blast crab watching. I really could have stayed in our “sanctuary” the entire time however. Did I mention the iridescent colored tiles in the pool? Each sanctuary has a different color scheme. We dined at the Jade Mountain club the majority of the time (excellent food and more convenient than Anse Chastanet). I highly recommend the Frozen Coco Loco! Vito was our Major Domo (personal butler) but we never really called on him. I just wanted privacy and therefore we mostly kept to ourselves. It was nice putting the room service sign up any time of day and returning to a clean room. We did not partake in many activities (exception being the Zipline tour). I just wanted to relax and absorb the scenery. Not having a TV, radio or computer was a blessing. I think everyone should unplug from time to time. I was able to finish three quarters of my book in record time. I thought this would be a perfect place for me to meditate. An old Sanskrit text says, “By certain signs you can tell when meditation is being rightly performed. One of them is that a bird will sit on your head, thinking you are an inert thing.” Well no bird landed on my head (or dinner table thankfully) but I certainly felt calm and tranquil. Btw…do not go to Jade Mountain if you’re severely out of shape. There are quite a few steps to get to the Jade Mountain club if you’re on level A, but even if your room is on a higher level, you’ll still have to climb the steps back to your room if you take the shuttle to the beach. I enjoyed the stairs but then again…I enjoy running marathons. Lastly, about the geckos…note that this is open-air so if you become unhinged at the site of a bug…this may not be the place for you. We didn’t have any “bugs” per se but rather an occasional bird and a few geckos. I loved it! I really felt in tune with nature. The protective netting around the bed is quite secure. No mosquitoes or anything. If only I could capture the sounds of nature. Thanks to the reviews on TripAdvisor, I altered our plans and we spent the first two nights at Ladera and the remaining five at Jade Mountain. I would have been quite disappointed if all nights were spent at Ladera. Ladera is rather quaint and I loved the staff but it’s a bit too rustic for my taste. I really enjoyed their restaurant Dasheen. I am writing a separate review for Ladera. I would recommend it for a few nights as a nice retreat and it’s more reasonably priced than Jade Mountain. For the occasional splurge however, Jade Mountain Resort is a must!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cmlane
There are newer reviews for Jade Mountain Resort

Reviewed 1 October 2009

We have just returned from out honeymoon at JM. I cried as soon as I walked in the room. I have never experienced anything like it, the designer and owner is a genius. There is nothing to rival this place, it offers everything you'd want and things you never knew you wanted. It will always be very, very special to us and to have lived as one with the St Lucian environment is an experience to behold in itself.

1  Thank TheHannsSurrey
Reviewed 29 September 2009

I rely heavily on Tripadvisor, and always review vacations after I return. This is the first time I've rated a place perfect. My husband and I stayed for 5 nights during out honeymoon. We stayed 5 nights first at Sandles Grande, which I would not recommend (will write that review next). This was not just a honeymoon, it was an experience. That is what you get when you stay at Jade. The grounds and resort are an absolute work of art. I was in awe every second of every day. Our sanctuary, JB2, was breathtaking. The butler service was fabulous. Vito took care of everything we could have wanted and more. All of the staff were exceptionally and genuinely friendly and caring. And the food alone was worth the trip! Fantastic. My husband mentioned to the waiter during a meal that he loved the meal and would love to get the recipe from the chef - the executive chef came out and personally thanked him for the compliment and emailed him the recipe the next day. Incredible! I wont be too repetative and go into too much detail about the room, only to say it was truly truly amazing. Top of the line everything. There's lots of interesting info to learn about Jade Mt as well. For example, the owner, Nick, (who we sat next to at dinner one night!) had his technicians fly to a rainforest in Gyuana to personally choose the trees that would be used to make the floors at Jade. Cool, huh? Being at Jade felt like being in a treehouse for adults. My only warnings are: lots of climbing stairs, lots of misquito bites despite bug spray, and at times, the heat & humidity, although while sleeping, these were not a problem. The spa was also very nice, had a hot stone massage that was fantastic. If you have the ability to go here, you will not be sorry, the experience is worth it a thousand times over.

4  Thank 11,222
Reviewed 10 September 2009

This place is special. There is little I can add to the other glowing reviews that have already been posted. Every part of Jade Mountain exceeded all of my expectations. The views, the rooms, the staff--all the best I have ever seen.

2  Thank CAPAtlanta_GA
Reviewed 1 September 2009

I just got back from spending six nights at Jade Mountain in St. Lucia with my husband celebrating our 25th anniversary. I cannot say enough about the staff, food, amenities and the view from our "sanctuary"--unbelievable! Youcan get out and take advantage to what is offered or stay in "sanctuary".
We did venture out of the resort, only during the day. Most people were pleasant, however you do need to be aware of peddlers on the streets.
All in all we would go back ina heart beat!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank cagNewJersey
Reviewed 22 August 2009

Like everyone else, I trolled this site for reviews to make sure the investment was worth it and it was. (THANK YOU TO ALL YOU OTHER REVIEWERS!) The rooms and view are mesmerizing. You try to read, but your eyes keep drifting to the sea and mountains and then you look around your room and say, "dang." It's worth it. We stayed in JD3 and I wonder if JD1or 4 would have a better view but we wanted a room with a more private bath area and this fit the bill. The rooms are as good as the internet photos - what bigger compliment can you give a hotel?

Some nits: the food at Jade is NOT great, just average and it shouldn't be. New chef, please. It is disappointing that you can get better food at the local restaurants - The Edge, Dasheene, Hummingbird, even La Haut Plantation) Everything on the menu SOUNDS great (sun blushed tomatoes, hand rolled tagliatelle, tropical fruit ceviche...) but then when it comes it's just dry or bland. The food was better (but not amazing) at Anse Chastanet, especially the Indian food.

The prices for wine are beyond unreasonable - $165 for a Cakebread chardonnay? $495 for a bottle of Dom and some canapes? Dudes, really?

Also when we arrive in our room, there was a really big stain on the wall near the mini bar - like some small creature had faced a firing squad, they painted it over it the next day. We got a great welcome and we really liked one of our butlers but the other one was insincere and seemed put off by our requests (names omitted to protect all parties).

The beach is no big shakes at all, stay in the room.

The Sun rooms (I can't bring myself to call them Sanctuaries, how about asylums?) are probably beyond huge but they are right below the restaurant so I wondered about noise and food smells...??

The yoga teacher Kristen gives amazing massages, she's a Jedi.

Have fun!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank reallypickylady
Reviewed 16 August 2009

Wow, wow, wow. I want to say its a once in a lifetime trip, but I REALLY hope that its not once in a lifetime because I want to go back!!

We stayed at Jade in mid-july for our honeymoon. It was via their yin-yang romance package. We stayed at AC for 4 days and the last 3 at Jade. At Jade we stayed in a Star (JD2). My AC review covers a lot of facilities and activities, and most reviews already have covered the details of Jade. I'll just touch on a few things that really stood out for me.

No matter where you're looking, beautiful vistas surround you at Jade. From the architecture, to your room, to the celestial terrace to the Jade Club, beauty surrounds you. Its quite surreal. I researched Jade for at least a year and thought the real thing couldn't match up to the pictures I saw on the internet. To my delight, I was wrong. The sights at Jade are absolutely jaw dropping, pictures make Jade look great, being there makes it look even better.

Jade Mountain has its own climate. Seriously. One of my biggest fears in going to AC/Jade was the lack of a fourth wall. Obviously this is what attracted me to the resort, but I was worried that the climate could effect our sleeping. Not a worry at all! At Jade, I'm not sure what is it, maybe its how the structure was built, or the 8 ceiling fans or just being high up on a hill, the climate is seriously much cooler. At Jade I always felt it was at least 10 degrees cooler than beach level. There is always a constant breeze coming through your room. In fact, at night there was a couple times were I felt chilly. It was glourious.

I absolutely loved the food at Jade. Specifically, I am HUGE fan of their breakfasts. I had some of the best breakfasts ever there. My favorite was their mango pancakes with banana syrup. Soooo good!! Like one of the previous reviews said, I'd highly suggest getting most dinners at Jade Club. Outside of the Indian-Fusion beach front restaurant, I'd say you'd get the most bang for your buck at Jade Club. Great gourmet dinners with amazing views.

Our pool and room was much bigger than expected. They weren't kidding when they told me that all rooms at Jade are spacious. I wasn't expecting the pools to be almost 6 feet deep. The rooms are extremely roomy and spacious with slick, posh decor. Very sophisticated looking. The beds were amazingly comfortable.

In short, Jade is an absolutely jaw dropping place that I wish everyone could experience at least once. Yes, it can be expensive, but I felt the experience was well worth it. It was truly a special experience that I can only hope to recreate at some other point in my life.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Buckwild3
Also consider these accommodations in or near Soufriere
Sugar Beach, A Viceroy Resort
Sandals Grande St. Lucian Spa & Beach Resort
East Winds
East Winds
#1 of 13 in Gros Islet

Been to Jade Mountain Resort? Share your experiences!